PDA

View Full Version : GSX250 noob questions

dorbs
1st July 2006, 18:14
Hi there,

Am new to this site, but seemed to be a wealth of information... I have just purchased a 05' GSX250 with 900kms on it, and it is coming up for the all important 1000km service. I have downloaded the manual off this site that would normally come with this bike, but unfortunatly am having trouble finding information as to:

what valve clearnace should be used when adjusting the tappets?

what torque should the head bolts be at?

what type of oil is recommended? (the manual states SAE 10w-40) but i was unsure of what sae stands for? is a synthetic oil like magnatec 10w40 ok to use?

Are thier any online haynes type manuals or something of the like to aid me in this service?

Thanks in advance for any help,

RICK.

Sketchy_Racer
1st July 2006, 18:37
Hey mate, welcome to the site.

valve clearances.

normally .008 thou or 0.203 mm for exhaust and .006 thou or 0.152 mm for inlet

thats what i mainly use if i dont know the exact specs

Storm
1st July 2006, 19:21
Welcome aboard mate. Check around for manuals via the search thing, I'm sure I saw one recentlyish.
Also, ring your friendly Suzuki dealer for all the info

dorbs
1st July 2006, 19:50
Welcome aboard mate. Check around for manuals via the search thing, I'm sure I saw one recentlyish.
Also, ring your friendly Suzuki dealer for all the info

yea i downloaded the owner manual off this site that was hosted a while back. Where is the nearest suzuki dealer to Manukau, Auckland?

andrea
2nd July 2006, 00:04
yea i downloaded the owner manual off this site that was hosted a while back. Where is the nearest suzuki dealer to Manukau, Auckland?

colemans suzuki up in town, you wouldnt happen to own a blue gsx like mine do u? i might have seen you before riding down puhunui road, anyways you can tag along tomorrow i can show you where colemans is im heading out for a ride tomorrow

dorbs
4th July 2006, 14:03
yea nah thats not me, i have a grey one with red and blue vinyl on it.

But thanks for that. I will pop in and talk to them.

vtec
10th July 2006, 18:05
Personally I wouldn't be putting a fully synthetic car oil in my motorbike. There are plenty of reasons, if you want me to go into them, I can, but they have been discussed on the site before. My first choice for your bike would be Motul 5100 semi-synthetic 10w40. That's what I put in my race bike and my road bike. Reasonable price. Excellent performance, and some cool characteristics (read about esters).

Best bet if you're not used to working on it, is to get Colemans to do the first service. Then you can ease yourself into learning how to service it bit by bit, by just starting with the simple oil and filter change services. So that by the time you get to your next valve clearance service, you can do most of the work easily and quickly, and just take your time learning how to adjust the valves. You may not be new to this, so if you're not. I don't know the correct clearances for the GSX250, but what RG quoted seems pretty close to what I set my CBR250RR up for.

If you are new to playing around with heads. Then make sure you have someone who knows what they are doing to show you how to not break your cams when you take them off. It may look simple, but there are a few major pitfalls for the uninitiated.

Sketchy_Racer
10th July 2006, 19:42
haha

Yep Vtec. I have heard many a story of poor buggers snapping the cams in their CBR250s!! Same with the ZXRs... those bloody little things!!

vtec
10th July 2006, 19:58
Luckily I heard about the dangers before messing with my cams. I got HDTboy to show me how it's done. Now I'm all knowledgeable, and will hopefully never break a cam.

dorbs
25th July 2006, 10:46
good advice, thanks.

I am very new to bikes. But one of the guys from work is showing me how to do it. He is pretty onto it with bikes, hes had many and normally shows me the ins and outs.

In case anyone needed to know, the valve clearance is meant to be:

VAVLE CLEARANCE COLD
Inlet: 0.1-0.2mm
Exhaust: 0.2-0.3mm

HEAD TORQUE
10mm bolt= 38Nm
Bolt and nut= 10Nm

RG100 seemed to be on the money. Thanks RICK.