PDA

View Full Version : Not quite bike-related but

slopster
1st July 2006, 18:55
Seeing as I hardly use my car (bike everywhere) I have been seriously considering putting the rego on hold and using it anyway. If I get caught I'll take my $200 fine and I reckon if I get caught once a year I'll be drawing even. Does anyone know what effect this would have on insurance (third party only). Would the company be able to deny you cover if you had an accident. What about WOF. I have heard that insurance companys will pay out for unwarranted vehicles as long as the accident wasn't caused by a mechanical fault.

Grahameeboy
1st July 2006, 19:18
Having no Rego does not invalidate your Insurance and nor does having no WOF unless the cause of the accident was mechanically related.
A WOF is only evidence that the vehicle was WOF clean at time of test and does not mean that it is still sound 6 months down the track.
For example tyres pass WOF one day and then 6 months later you lose control in the wet, cause 2 bald/illegal tyres which would likely invalidate your claim.
I think I am right in saying that a WOF does not say that your vehicle is mechanically sound anyway.

riffer
1st July 2006, 21:48
Having no Rego does not invalidate your Insurance and nor does having no WOF unless the cause of the accident was mechanically related.

Wow. Is that right? I'd always assumed it did. I must go check my insurance policy...

Motig
2nd July 2006, 16:53
Wouldnt having no reg or WOF mean the Insurance Company can rightly say that the vehicle should not have been on the road so no cover?

Troll
2nd July 2006, 21:28
no wof & no rego, do you really think and insurance company would pay out??

insurance companies spend millions writing fine print and looking at ways to avoid paying out

if you have no wof and no rego why even bother having insurance as it is highly unlikely that they would pay out

however on a serious note to drive on the road with no wof is hardly something to either be proud of or to boast about on this site

as for not paying registration, one of the reason it is so high in the first instance is to cover the costs of freeloading bludgers who do not pay it and the ACC levy is to cover the costs of accidents quite often caused by unroadworthy vehicles

if you only use a car once or twice a year get a taxi

onearmedbandit
2nd July 2006, 22:09
One of our guys at work was in the wrong when he caused an accident, along with no wof. State still payed out as it had no bearing on the crash.

Korea
3rd July 2006, 03:04
Sell the car...

easy!

What?
3rd July 2006, 06:43
no wof & no rego, do you really think and insurance company would pay out??
Yep. 10 char's

ManDownUnder
3rd July 2006, 06:52
I'd be inclined to ring the insurer and get the response in writing before acting up on.

Just as the cops have a quota, so do Insurance Assesors. If they can find a way to NOT spend that money (i.e. invalidate your claim) I understand they'll do anything to do so... a rough assessment I know - but that's the way I understand it works.
MDU