PDA

View Full Version : Tyres: What do you think about this....

Two Smoker
27th May 2004, 14:14
Hey guys what do you think about this......

Im getting a new tyre for the RG, and it takes a 110/90........ Well the thing is all the rubber i want (BT39SS TT900 etc) is not imported in that size, neither is it imported in 120/80 :doh:

So i was talking to a tyre guy and what he recommends is putting on a bigger bikes front radial (ie 120/70 17ZR......... like im going to get up to Z rated speeds hehehe......)

So the guy is recommending i put on e new Michelin Pilot Power (considered sticker than a rennsport :gob: ) or a BT 012 SS..... ofcourse these tyres would be reversed in tread pattern (ie flipped around)

What i was wanting to know is what you guys think of it? will it be safe??? will i have any problems???

Cheers everyone :niceone:

Racey Rider
27th May 2004, 15:54
DON"T TALK TO ME ABOUT TYRES! :angry2: :angry2:

I've just spent the last hour an a half trying to change the front tyre on my two fifty. :brick: "Save yourself some money Racey!" "Do it yourself Racey!!" :brick:
Yer Right!! :mad:

Should have just paid the bike shop to do it, and gone and MADE some money this afternoon!

Anyone can ride a bike fast. The real test on race day should be, Who can change a tyre the fastist!

Still haven't got that last peice of bead over the rim. 1 little bit of tyres left to fit, and do you think I can get it! Sure I'm going too do myself a damage, of not brake a disk. :doh:

COFFEE! Must have Coffee! :apint:

Racey Rider
27th May 2004, 16:01
Arr. Thats better.

Now what was the question?

At race days were suppost to run TT900's 90/80-17 on the 150's

White trash
27th May 2004, 16:07
Anyone can ride a bike fast.

Not Jimbo :devil2:

Oscar
27th May 2004, 16:13
DON"T TALK TO ME ABOUT TYRES! :angry2: :angry2:

I've just spent the last hour an a half trying to change the front tyre on my two fifty. :brick: "Save yourself some money Racey!" "Do it yourself Racey!!" :brick:

Should have just paid the bike shop to do it, and gone and MADE some money this afternoon!

Anyone can ride a bike fast. The real test on race day should be, Who can change a tyre the fastist!

Still haven't got that last peice of bead over the rim. 1 little bit of tyres left to fit, and do you think I can get it! Sure I'm going too do myself a damage, of not brake a disk. :doh:

COFFEE! Must have Coffee! :apint:

The used to have a similar event in some enduro's - who can swap a tube out of a tyre the fastest.

Put the old tyre on the ground and put the wheel with the new tyre on top. Put a couple of capfuls of dishwashing liquid in a jar of water and brush the misture onto the tyre bead. Now use a rubber mallet or the heel of your boot to force the last bit of the bead on the rim. If the tyre is tubed, it helps to blow the tube up slightly before inserting it.

Racey Rider
27th May 2004, 16:13
Ok! Jimbo excluded.

I thought that was a given!

White trash
27th May 2004, 16:16
I like your style!

He probably wont but then, who cares!

Racey Rider
27th May 2004, 16:22
Put the old tyre on the ground and put the wheel with the new tyre on top. Put a couple of capfuls of dishwashing liquid in a jar of water and brush the misture onto the tyre bead. Now use a rubber mallet or the heel of your boot to force the last bit of the bead on the rim. If the tyre is tubed, it helps to blow the tube up slightly before inserting it.

Thanks Oscar.
Right back too it then!

Good thread TS! :laugh:

FROSTY
27th May 2004, 16:31
Hey anyhoo TS --We used to do the same thing on our bucket racers with no ill affect TS but then again they were 100cc two strokes

FzerozeroT
27th May 2004, 17:11
I put on a set of TT900's on sat, I was worried about going from a 110 to a 100 as well, but the actual width of the tire is the same, it is just not as curved. Since I couldn't get to the edge of the old 110's and now I can throw it over so far that the stand scrapes I'm very happy with them, except for the price :(

Two Smoker
27th May 2004, 17:45
Ah ok, ill probably go for the 100/80 TT900....... i cant find a front TT900 though :( does anyone know somewhere where i can get one?????

Hey Racey Rider will they let me use a BT39SS front since im late to the season? What size rear do you have on????

Cheers

laRIKin
27th May 2004, 19:38
Now this is a rear tire.
Not to sure if it would be much fun trying to lean it, into a corner.

Racey Rider
27th May 2004, 21:17
Hey Racey Rider will they let me use a BT39SS front since im late to the season? What size rear do you have on????

The streetstock races I've been in have been pretty easy going in regard to the bike setup and rules. Pretty much left up to you to be within the spirit of the rules. If you start getting in the top 3 regularly your bike would be looked at more closely.
BT39SS Should be fine. Thats what I've got on my KR150. 90/80/17 And ran 100/80/17 on the rear of my RG150.
I have a set off half worn TT900,s in the shed which I used last year. I saved them when I sold the bike, But the KR has a 18" rear so can't use the rear one.

Two Smoker
27th May 2004, 21:21
Ah ok cheers, did you find the 100/80 turned in faster???? or did it flatten out too quick?

What condition is that rear in :niceone: i could be keen...... and i dont see myself being in the top 3 for a while.........

FzerozeroT
28th May 2004, 06:44
TS, most dunlop shops could sort you out but you might be better getting second hand from top level racers like RR, The front isn't much cheaper than the rear :*(

Racey Rider
28th May 2004, 08:01
TS, most dunlop shops could sort you out but you might be better getting second hand from top level racers like RR, :*(

SAY WHAT?! :blink:
You talking about ME??!! :killingme
I've only done 3 race days. and 1 of those was on a sick bike.

Ah ok cheers, did you find the 100/80 turned in faster???? or did it flatten out too quick?
What condition is that rear in :niceone: i could be keen....

100/80 was standard issue for the rear of the bike. Haven't tried anthing else to know any different.
Will take those tyres with me this weekend, if things go well I may get up to Taupo and see you there.

Racey Rider
28th May 2004, 14:23

So I get it on! :)
Fill it with air, it pops nicely onto the bead.
Stick it in the bike. give it a roll. and it looks uneven. "Not rideing it like that" I says. Off to the bike shop to get them to balance it.

It's not the tyre,, it's the rim. It's bent!! he says.

Dam! Guess crow bars aren't the best thing to change a tyre with then?! :(
So there goes my weekends raceing.
No spare wheel, and this one needs to be sent away to be fixed. :crybaby:
Lesson learnt.

FROSTY
28th May 2004, 14:27
um where does it say you must use stock sized tyres on 150 streetstock.
Im sure tyre choice was open -Looking at supp rules on the mnz site

White trash
28th May 2004, 14:38

Nah! I think some of the clubs have a "control tyre" thing.

Just like World Superbikes. Just more entertaining than SBK :thud:

Racey Rider
28th May 2004, 14:45

Manual of Motorcycle sport

Chapter 22
22-12-3
Streetstock is open to any street type road registerable mass production machine up to 150cc of any make available on sale in NZ, in standard specification, except for carburetor jetting and external gearing

I presume that means standard size tyres.

Two Smoker
28th May 2004, 18:32
Nah! I think some of the clubs have a "control tyre" thing.

Just like World Superbikes. Just more entertaining than SBK :thud:Yeah, and the control tyre is a Dunlop TT900, i mite try the 100/80 see how it goes.....