PDA

View Full Version : Bloody two-strokes.

Ixion
1st July 2006, 20:33
Bloody two strokes. Worse than women!

Spent the whole morning unblocking a drain. Nassssty ! Mrs Ixion blocked it AGAIN, pouring kitchen shit down it.

So I thought I deserved a nice run in the afternoon (mind you, I reckon that anything is enough for me to deserve a run on a bike on a nice Saturday afternoon.)

Kit up, wheel Phoebe out, usual drill. Free the clutch (half the members will be too young to know what that means!), ignition on (or, off , technically,since it's a magneto. They won't understand that, either. To make a magneto bike start you have to turn the ignition switch off).And prepare for the good old "long swinging kick". But I always give a gentle little exploratory prod first.

And this time the prod didn't prod. Kickstart lever was solid as a solid thing.

Uh, what the hell! try a little bit of weight on the lever, not too much, don't want to do any damage. Nope. Locked solid

WTF. WTBF. That's a F***d as an F****D thing. Went fine last weekend, came home, last bit gentle suburban running, rode into gargre, praked up, switched off, all normal, all good. How the double dipped hell could it seize up sitting for a week in the gargre.And it was definately smoking good . Check oil tank anyway, but it's near full.

Hydolock maybe? No smell of fuel, but could be.Pull the plugs, look OK, maybe just the weeniest bit lean. Still crankshaft, him no move.

Onto centre stand. Try rocking the wheel in fifth gear. Back and forward . Won't move forward. Won't move back. Doesn't sound like hydrolock, that should free if turned in reverse. Check the drain plugs. Oh damn double damn and may the Suzuki engineering department all roast forever in the bottom of the lowest pit in hell, with Helen Clark and Jenny Shipley taking turns to poke red hot pokers up their (the cheapskate, penny pinching bloody engineers) bottoms. One "little " (and undocumented) change from the T500 to the GT500 was leaving out the crankcase drainplugs . What blithering idiot would do such a thing.

Bugger and double bugger. Pull of the mag cover. Socket on the mag nut on the end of the crankshaft. Try both ways. Nope, solid. Hm. Maybe a millimetre of movement. Slack in the keyway?

Socket on the nut, give the bar a gentle thump with the heel of my palm. Not too hard , don't want to damage stuff. Thump the other way. thumpity thump. Rinse lather repeat. About 2mm now. Not promising. What the hell is going on anyway.

Groan. I SO do NOT want to have to pull the barrells off. Drop the left header and peer up the port. Looks OK, I can see the piston, about midstroke. Do the thumpy thing while watching the piston. Hm, that piston's moving. Well, that's something. Pull the right header. Repeat thumpity . WTF, that one's moving too.

Thump back and forth a few more times. And suddenly - we're moving! Freely. No noises .

Peer up the ports some more. No sign of any witness marks. Piston skirts are clean and lightly oiled. Cylinder walls look good. Peer down the spark pug holes. Also looks good.

Squirt some two stroke oil liberally into the bores and onto the piston skirts, with my dinky little oil can with the flexible spout. Good little thing that is.

Reassemble. Kick over. seems good. Ignition on (or, off, see above). Starts second kick. Sounds OK. No noises (well, no more than two smokers usually make). No rattles. Got a wee leak from the silencer joint now, bugger it.

Round the block. Seems OK. Power's OK, revs right out, smokes nicely, no rattles, no new vibes. Round the big block. OK. Down the motorway. OK

Buggered if I know. I've heard of cold seizure, but this is rediculous.

I guess that's two smokers for you. Strange and incomprehensible, just like women. All part of life's rich tapestry I suppose.

I remember this thread, too. http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=30074. Sounds exactly the same thing. Anyone else encountered this. I never have before. Proves you can always learn something new.

I'll take it for a run tomorrow and see what happens.

dangerous
1st July 2006, 21:00
LMFAO... yip 2 strokers they wil be the death of us, the devils spawn, wouldnt have it any other way tho right :wait: cos when they are going...:first:

Motu
1st July 2006, 21:23
A couple of km's from your place,about the time you would of set off on your ride - a car ran a red light,and swerved to miss the B train that nearly hit it.....the woman ran up the curb but manged to bring it all under control.Shit,it was lucky there wasn't a bike coming down that sidestreet as she cut across it.

There is always a reason...consider it your lucky day.

But I am perplexed.....bigend or mains roller jam??.....??

gav
2nd July 2006, 01:16
You left it in gear? :wait: After selecting neutral it's now all ok? :yes:
C'mon, youre hardly going to admit to this now, are you? :nya: :blip:
After reading all that, is it a GT500 Suzuki?

dangerous
2nd July 2006, 09:25
You left it in gear? :wait: After selecting neutral it's now all ok? :yes:
C'mon, youre hardly going to admit to this now, are you? :nya: :blip:
After reading all that, is it a GT500 Suzuki?
Get ya shit togeather Gav... no such thing as a GT500, either the T500 or his GT750

Kickaha
2nd July 2006, 09:37
Get ya shit togeather Gav... no such thing as a GT500, either the T500 or his GT750

Fat lot you know

http://gt500.org.uk/

Mr. Peanut
2nd July 2006, 10:18
Forgive me if I am expressing a complete lack of mechanical understanding, but what would happen if you selected nuetral and a dog clutch stuck/jammed in place? Could that be the source of the mystery seizure?

Ixion
2nd July 2006, 10:54
Thought of that, it can happen. But the rear wheel rotated OK in gear with the clutch out , and gears selected OK.

EDIT: Yes, Phoebe is a GT500. Tessa is a T500R.

Mr. Peanut
2nd July 2006, 10:59
It's been very cold lately, could it be a rapidly cooling sleeve/bore vs hot piston?

Ixion
2nd July 2006, 11:05
Possible I guess, but then once completely cool and the piston had also shrunk, it should have loosened again ?

Mr. Peanut
2nd July 2006, 11:13
Could the contraction of the bore/sleeve around the piston ring/groove(or piston itself) leave a minute indentation on the bore/sleeve for the piston rings(or piston) to catch onto once the engine had cooled?

Does that even happen?? :blink:

Meanie
2nd July 2006, 12:36
Sorry i wouldnt have a clue wots wrong but your story made for a bloody good read :yes:

Ixion
2nd July 2006, 18:09
UPDATE: Couple of hundred kilowozzits today, and no probs. all running well

Gawd knows is what I conclude, that's two strokes for ya, they're JUST like women, totally illogical and entirely incomprehensible.

I blame Biff, he's Welch and they're to blame for anything stramge.

Mr. Peanut
2nd July 2006, 18:28
Gawd knows is what I conclude, that's two strokes for ya, they're JUST like women, totally illogical and entirely incomprehensible.

On the other hand if they don't work too well, a good thrashing usually sorts things out...
:whistle:

I would never condone such a thing of course, cleaning the pipes and new set of rings works just as well....

cheese
3rd July 2006, 11:22
That is part of the fun bit with 2 strokes!! Fixing them!

sAsLEX
3rd July 2006, 11:48

At least they are relativaly simple, when my bike died (has no name really but my work mates call it Symin) , there was no way I could fix it without a multimeter bloody wires for africa and all I had was a screw driver and a couple of spanners so managed to remove all the fairings etc to get at the wires but alas it still in O town!

XTC
3rd July 2006, 12:14
Brings back memories of mt '71 T250. Temperamental POS that it was. Life got so much better when I bought my CB400F super sport.

SPman
3rd July 2006, 13:58
My T250 gave no trouble at all.....

Out riding with a guy on saturday - has an NSR400 (he was on), an RG500 and an RZ500 - all original and all good runners - as well as a78 CBX.....barstard!

Ahhhh.... the smell of two stroke fumes and the rattly howl of a two stroke triple........sniff....

Mr. Peanut
3rd July 2006, 14:02
NS400.... :shutup:

gav
3rd July 2006, 23:02
My T250 gave no trouble at all.....

Out riding with a guy on saturday - has an NSR400 (he was on), an RG500 and an RZ500 - all original and all good runners - as well as a78 CBX.....barstard!

Ahhhh.... the smell of two stroke fumes and the rattly howl of a two stroke triple........sniff....
NS400R, not NSR (sorry...)
Rattly howl? More of a sort of half strangled goose honk type of noise isnt it?
Oh yeah, I use to own one :yes: :scooter:

gav
3rd July 2006, 23:05
:innocent: Ya own ya first two stroke and now your a legend? Tut, tut, tut :nono: Get YOUR shit together, you're a disgrace! :finger: :rofl: