PDA

View Full Version : Day 1 on an FJR1300T

Hitcher
2nd July 2006, 18:09
1 July 2006. A Saturday. Fog encrusting Wellington and disrupting the travel plans of people wanting to arrive or depart our fair city.

But this day I had big plans that were not going to be interrupted by fog, plague or pestilence. Today I was buying a Yamaha FJR1300T, in silver and blue. I could hear it calling to me: "Hitcher, take me away and sate my thirst!" OK then.

Barry at Sawyers had all of the paperwork ready for me when Mrs H and I arrived. The bike was all dressed up in its colour-matched Yamaha panniers, gassed and ready to roll. As its first private owner, I scored a Yamaha 24-month warranty. Woo hoo!

And off into the Wellington Saturday morning traffic we rolled, the FJR pursued by Mrs H on her Marauder. Next stop, Maungaraki to acquire the inimitable Jim2 for an excursion over The Hill.

Riding in fog isn't particularly pleasant. It is nasty cloying muck that sticks to visors and eyewear. An electric screen in its fully-extended mode helps move it around, but its still wet. And cold.

Jim2 was rugged and ready, so we rolled off to Caltex Rimutaka to top up the Marauder.

Ascending the Kaitokes (as lead bike) I pointed out my 11 June skid mark for the benefit of those following. Ouch. RIP, STeed.

But once over the top, we were bathed in wondrously warm winter sunlight and the bluest of skies as we started our ascent of the Takas. I didn't hurry the FJR, even though the road was dry and clean. Jim2, however, had other ideas...

From Featherston to Martinborough we were back into fog again, but even wetter this time. But this burned away while we were tucking into eggs and coffee. Such a nice day was it that we decided to go and visit the big windmills on Saddle Road. We took the back roads through Mangamaire, because we could, and because they are great roads. The sun was low in the sky and sunstrike on some corners made life interesting. The Saddle Road needs a sweeper over it -- there's still loose sealing chips everywhere from the reseal a couple of months back, and the new seal is lifting off in places.

And over the new Ashhurst bridge we went. The doughty Bailey bridge has disappeared without trace. On to Palmerston North via Ridge Road and the back streets of Kelvin Grove, for coffee and cake at the Cuba Cafe. And to watch the Hoodie Bois do laps. Tragic.

A fantastic late afternoon ride was had from Palmerston North to Otaki via Opiki and Shannon. The snow-covered Rimutakas cut starkly against a blue-black sky. The setting sun tinged the snow pink -- a magnificent sight in one's rear-view mirrors on the long straight past the former Kimberley hospital.

By now it was starting to get very cold. And the Big Girl's Blouse that I have become missed greatly the beneficial effects of heated hand-grips. They are getting fitted at the next service...

We bid a fond adieu to Jim2 at Paramata and brrrrmed on home.

Over 500km now added to the FJR, and I love it. Deeply.

sels1
2nd July 2006, 19:17
Ha, that windfarm carpark features in a few of my photos too. Congrats on the new bike, it looks nice - look forward to seeing in the flesh.

mikey
2nd July 2006, 19:39
cool bike. rode a fj1200 few weeks back
gas powerd fukn turbine or waht.

they arent slow. but it was drews so wouldnt be would it.

SARGE
2nd July 2006, 23:48
far out bike Hitcher... welcome to the club ( FJ's rule..)

you may want to hook up with the FJOC (http://www.fjoc.com/)in the UK..

Lazy7
3rd July 2006, 08:20
daym thats a big scooter :blip:

hehe.

nice write up though :yes:

Badcat
3rd July 2006, 09:13
that's a beautiful bike Hitcher.
i'm not a big fan of tourers, but that one is sweet.

k

phoenixgtr
3rd July 2006, 09:24
Nice bike Hitcher. Enjoy riding it. Hopefully we will have more weather like this weekend

Macktheknife
3rd July 2006, 14:58
Great looking bike Hitcher, enjoy, good write up too

Storm
3rd July 2006, 20:14
Post a picture of the mighty skid please(or point me to the relevant post if there is one)

oldrider
14th July 2006, 21:24
That is one very nice motorcycle. Are there top box options available through Yamaha or Givi ?
Nice wee write up too, that is all territory of my youth, nice to read and see. :first: Cheers John.

Hitcher
14th July 2006, 21:32
That is one very nice motorcycle. Are there top box options available through Yamaha or Givi ?
Nice wee write up too, that is all territory of my youth, nice to read and see. :first: Cheers John.
Givi makes a topbox. Apparently installing the mounting hardware is a bit of a trick. And I read something once that said the Yamaha warranty talked about using panniers or a topbox -- not both. I must read the fine print...

Holy Roller
15th July 2006, 00:06
Nice ride a new bike is always a joy to ride. Now that you have had time to really enjoy the new ride how does it rate compared to the ST?
How do you find the electric screen any wind buffeting your helmet?
Will you be doing the Grand Challenge this year?

Hitcher
15th July 2006, 14:35
Nice ride a new bike is always a joy to ride. Now that you have had time to really enjoy the new ride how does it rate compared to the ST?
How do you find the electric screen any wind buffeting your helmet?
Will you be doing the Grand Challenge this year?
It's a way better ride than an ST.

I can get helmet buffeting if the screen is right up, but somewhere between half and three-quarters is just fine.

Grand Challenge? You betcha! Mrs H and I registered a couple of months ago. Veritably champing at the bit I am!