PDA

View Full Version : Uh-oh, watch out lads

Ixion
3rd July 2006, 10:22
Noisy vehicles face new testing rules

8.00am Monday July 3, 2006

Owners of cars with noisy exhausts may soon find their vehicles subject to an objective noise test.

Transport Safety Minister Harry Duynhoven says regulations allowing such tests kick in in three weeks. The move has been previously flagged.

He said noise-measuring equipment was coming into the country and would soon be available at nine sites. There would also be one travelling machine.

Noisy cars could be subjected to a test if they were pulled up by police, who would "green-sticker" them. The vehicles would then have to be taken off the road until they passed a test.

At the moment cars undergo a subjective test as part of getting a warrant of fitness.

Mr Duynhoven said the Government intended amending the law so objective tests could be brought into the warrant of fitness testing regime.

I'm picking that cops will be paying a LOT of attention to zorsts in the next few weeks. New brooms and such like.

scumdog
3rd July 2006, 10:27
Yeah, the brainless ones that blarrrgh-pish-blaaaaaaargh-pish right on front of the cop-shop have been ear-marked already.

It's not so much the loudness but WHERE that loudness is used - or at least that's my attitude.

3am on a Tuesday night around town = complaints from householders to me= tickets for the brainless noise dispensers.

SimJen
3rd July 2006, 10:37
My old NSR250SP's dry clutch made more noise than the zorsts.....

sAsLEX
3rd July 2006, 10:39
I'm picking that cops will be paying a LOT of attention to zorsts in the next few weeks. New brooms and such like.

With what levels and testing methods will they be using? BSA and some other international standards outline how to correctly test vehicle noise levels, who want to bet a dollar that they are making their own backwards hick method!

sAsLEX
3rd July 2006, 10:41

Rattly diesels make to much noise as well according to some test done a while back, and what about Jacobs brakes they better be outlawed as well as they aint going to pass no noise limits are they!

scumdog
3rd July 2006, 10:42
With what levels and testing methods will they be using? BSA and some other international standards outline how to correctly test vehicle noise levels, who want to bet a dollar that they are making their own backwards hick method!

We already HAVE the Backwards-Hick method: "That zorst sounds waay too damn loud boy, here's ya ticket".

The_Dover
3rd July 2006, 10:50
We already HAVE the Backwards-Hick method: "That zorst sounds waay too damn loud boy, here's ya ticket".

Couldn't you just lower the gain on yer hearing aid scummy?

Motu
3rd July 2006, 10:51
Warning:
03/07/2006 - Objective noise test. The Minister of Land Transport Safety has announced the introduction of an objective noise test. The test is being rolled out in two stages. Stage one commences 19th July but applies only to entry certification and Police action. Stage one will not apply to WoF so please continue to
use the subjective assessment in the VIRM: In-service Certification. Stage two will include WoF requirements at a later date

This is the flag on the log in page of the WoF site....I wonder what stage two will bring in for the WoF inspection? Maybe ''I think your car/bike sounds too noisy - you have to take it to ***** for an objective noise test,return with documentation and I'll issue your WoF''.

And soon we'll have a subjective smoke test - like,we floor the throttle and have a look out the back....and some old fart who never drives his car more than 2 km fails because his muffler is full of water and produces clouds of steam in cold weather.There'll be a few old Mitsi's and the odd diesel fail,that's about it.

SimJen
3rd July 2006, 10:57
It will be bullshit no question.
Unless they can replicate the OE Manufacturers testing, then heaps of stock vehicles will probably fail too. Most cars/bikes are tested at specific revs in ideal conditions to pass strict Euro tests. I doubt the police or wof people will be doing anything like this.
It'll be done in a noisy warrant building with bare colorsteel cladding (for added sound reflections) and some dumbass tester will be standing closer than specified to the exhaust end with an expensive meter set to the wrong Decibel rating ;)
My old Honda Accord SiR made more noise from its intake than the exhaust....I wonder how they'll get around that.......

Cookie
3rd July 2006, 11:00
[...] 3am on a Tuesday night around town = complaints from householders to me= tickets for the brainless noise dispensers.

Sounds quite fair and reasonable. I am getting to the age where I quite enjoy a bit of sleep now and then. :D

sAsLEX
3rd July 2006, 11:12
we floor the throttle and have a look out the back....

hell every car smokes on full throttle so that will be funny brand new cars failing another brilliant NZ standard test ,

sAsLEX
3rd July 2006, 11:16
It will be bullshit no question.
Unless they can replicate the OE Manufacturers testing, then heaps of stock vehicles will probably fail too. Most cars/bikes are tested at specific revs in ideal conditions to pass strict Euro tests. I doubt the police or wof people will be doing anything like this.
It'll be done in a noisy warrant building with bare colorsteel cladding (for added sound reflections) and some dumbass tester will be standing closer than specified to the exhaust end with an expensive meter set to the wrong Decibel rating ;)
My old Honda Accord SiR made more noise from its intake than the exhaust....I wonder how they'll get around that.......

The test are very specific, will see if i can find them

from the 1976 traffic reg this is what the test used to be and which should still be used!

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=121&page=2&pp=15
THE ANSWER- GETTING IT
Bugger, put that last post as a new thread... oh well

To ascertain how this 86dBA is measured you need to follow ISO 362 (practically identical to BS 3425).
There are conditions over 6 pages with all the details but these are the guts of it

-measurements shall be made in a level open area with no reflecting items (buildings, boulders, fences etc) within 50m.
-There shall be a minimum of 20metres square of ashphalt or similar road surface (that has to comply with ISO 10844... I did say it wouldn't be simple!) with a further minimum 10m stretch at either end (at least 3m wide) prior to entering the 20x20 area.
-The microphone is 7.5m away from the centreline in the middle of the 20x20 area
-4 measurements are made per side .. ie vehicle does at least 8 passes
-vehicle must be warmed up first
-As the bike approaches the 20x20m area it must be doing 50km/hr in 2nd and/or 3rd gear (if 5 forward gears or more are fitted). The bike then accelerates hard across the 20m and then the throttle is closed as the rear of the bike passes the 20m line
-if the engine RPM's exceed the maximum net power point, the test is done only in 3rd gear, otherwise both 2nd and 3rd are used
-minimum of 4 consecutive measurements must be done and be within 2 dB

and it goes on and on... (incidentally I do realise I'm the only one interested at this stage!)

anyway... the reason I write all this is because the friendly man at LTSA mentioned that PIGS Ltd. have tried to prosecute some Harley owners with loud pipes. However, as is sadly oh-so-common in the field of acoustics, they didn't know their arse from their elbow and the cases got thrown because the cops didn't seem able to provide evidence as to what the law even was, let alone that the bikes were legitimately tested!
Apparently they tested them in warehouses in an attempt to get louder readings (I imagine they stood behind the bike and revved its arse off to!)

edit : some more http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=4166&page=2&highlight=noise+standards

and deano put this up "The 1976 Road Traffic Reg's does contain an objective test to test vehicle noise. It refers to British Standard 3425 or ISO Recommendation R362."

So why is this objective test new? As they overwrote the old law with with fucktard boy racer law before relising they had shot themselves in the foot by using subjective tests rather than objective, law making monkey in parilment will not be getting thier bannanas this time!

Motu
3rd July 2006, 11:21
And it will be user pays - you will be directed to take your vehicle to the place of inspection (and make an appointment) upon completion of the test you will pay the inspection fee - pass or fail.

Quasievil
3rd July 2006, 11:26
Are Ducati's fitted with Termigonis exempted ?????

SimJen
3rd July 2006, 12:07
86dbA Is not very loud.....

scumdog
3rd July 2006, 12:08
"The sky is falling, the sky is falling...."

Motu
3rd July 2006, 12:16

It'll be pretty easy to find out - just go past your local cop giving it death,then he'll send you off to a testing facillity (user pays remember) and you'll be issued with a pass or fail.Then you'll have the proof on paper.....and entered into the police system as an electronic copy.Do it,go on...put it to the test.....

sAsLEX
3rd July 2006, 12:23
86dbA Is not very loud.....

0 The softest sound a person can hear with normal hearing

10 normal breathing

20 whispering at 5 feet

30 soft whisper

50 rainfall

60 normal conversation

110 shouting in ear

120 thunder

Home

50 refrigerator

50 - 60 electric toothbrush

50 - 75 washing machine

50 - 75 air conditioner

50 - 80 electric shaver

55 coffee percolator

55 - 70 dishwasher

60 sewing machine

60 - 85 vacuum cleaner

60 - 95 hair dryer

65 - 80 alarm clock

70 TV audio

70 - 80 coffee grinder

70 - 95 garbage disposal

75 - 85 flush toilet

80 pop-up toaster

80 doorbell

80 ringing telephone

80 whistling kettle

80 - 90 food mixer or processor

80 - 90 blender

80 - 95 garbage disposal

110 baby crying

110 squeaky toy held close to the ear

135 noisy squeeze toys

Work

40 quiet office, library

50 large office

65 - 95 power lawn mower

80 manual machine, tools

85 handsaw

90 tractor

90 - 115 subway

95 electric drill

100 factory machinery

100 woodworking class

105 snow blower

110 power saw

110 leafblower

120 chain saw, hammer on nail

120 pneumatic drills, heavy machine

120 jet plane (at ramp)

120 ambulance siren

125 chain saw

130 jackhammer, power drill

130 air raid

130 percussion section at symphony

140 airplane taking off

150 jet engine taking off

150 artillery fire at 500 feet

180 rocket launching from pad

Recreation

40 quiet residential area

70 freeway traffic

85 heavy traffic, noisy restaurant

90 truck, shouted conversation

95 - 110 motorcycle

100 snowmobile

100 school dance, boom box

110 disco

110 busy video arcade

110 symphony concert

110 car horn

110 -120 rock concert

112 personal cassette player on high

117 football game (stadium)

120 band concert

125 auto stereo (factory installed)

130 stock car races

143 bicycle horn

150 firecracker

156 capgun

157 balloon pop

162 fireworks (at 3 feet)

163 rifle

166 handgun

170 shotgun

madboy
3rd July 2006, 12:29
Even the objective is subjective if enforced by someone who wants to find something to hassle you about, so I'll stick with my factory exhaust thanks. I had too many years of 130db+ car stereos, I'm not about to finish off what's left of my hearing.

But if some particularly anal cop-type wants to speak to the wanker who lives down the street from me with the drain-piped non-turbo Legacy... I can't understand how they got that car to be so loud!

Squeak the Rat
3rd July 2006, 12:39
I actually thought the process sounds reasonably fair. As i read it, the officer makes a subjective call and it needs to be followed up by a testing authority.

Beats being given a ticket based on the cops bad hair day.

Not sure about the WOF side of things though - all bikers and boy racers will get sent for testing by default. Having said that, I'll guess I'll take my bike to a bike shop to get it's wof, they'll be a bit more sensible.....

James Deuce
3rd July 2006, 12:44
heehee.

Thanks for the suggestion officer.

*goes home , puts oem canister on*

Goes to testing station.

Yeah, I've no idea why I got sent here either mate.

Biohazard
3rd July 2006, 12:47

Roflmao u have to buy a set first :blip: , but no Termi's are illegal slightly more than 86db.

jimbo600
3rd July 2006, 12:48
I'm all for it. Bike exhausts including aftermarket ones are generally far less obtrusive than the shite you see on boy racer cars. I can't stand the sound of a shitbox rice burner with a crappy raspy exhaust. Plus as Scummy said earlier they fuck themselves by driving like wankers in built up areas.

Also I have a standard can and can't afford an aftermarket one so it won't effect me anyway.

Big Chim
3rd July 2006, 12:49
whats all this?? speak up i cant hear you:nya:

Patrick
3rd July 2006, 12:51
heehee.

Goes to testing station.

Gets WOF, goes home and puts on bucket/chimney stack exhaust...., again......,

Lets play that game again!!!

Pretty much if its louder than original it "MAY" be a problem... see earlier thread from Scummy... pretty much how we see it....

Motu
3rd July 2006, 13:22
It'll make it so much easier for us WoF inspectors,no more getting into an argument about how these were a stock system on this model,or the old ''You gave it a WoF last time!''.Now it's clear cut - ''You're an arrogant little shit aren't you? This system is possibly too noisy,you'll have to take it for a noise test....don't come back until you can prove it's not too noisy''.

''Go and sit in your car if you want to cry,it's not cool in public.''

BRING IT ON!!!!!

sAsLEX
3rd July 2006, 13:26
I actually thought the process sounds reasonably fair. As i read it, the officer makes a subjective call and it needs to be followed up by a testing authority.

next day after passing the independant test, cop pulls you again and green stickers you again requiring you to pay for another test

next day after passing the independant test, cop pulls you again and green stickers you again requiring you to pay for another test

oh and this happened in Tauranga

Big Dave
3rd July 2006, 14:14
"The sky is falling, the sky is falling...."

How many decibels does it make?

sAsLEX
3rd July 2006, 14:19
How many decibels does it make?
How fast is it moving?

ManDownUnder
3rd July 2006, 14:23

Beats being given a ticket based on the cops bad hair day.

That what I was thinking...

Mr. Peanut
3rd July 2006, 14:26
157 balloon pop

I can imagine the headline...

"Police raid gang headquarters after complaints of 'balloon popping'..."

N4CR
3rd July 2006, 17:59
I have 3 exhausts. One drowns out a micron k5 600/whatever is on the road apart from a harley (gutted can w/ no packing/glass, tip blew off passing a holden some time etc) - you get the picture, the other is what I usually use, loud ish zx9r race can when you rev it quiet when you cruise and ride normally, quieter than most bikes with aftermarket cans but very bassy for a 250, quite a 600 sound and very distinctive.

And.. the king hit:

One perfect stock 1991 KHI stock zxr can. A few minor scratches.

Stick that in ya' pipe and smoke it ;)

I 'wonder' what I'll be rolling on come WOF time eh...

Titanium
3rd July 2006, 18:13
heehee.

Goes to testing station.

But I guess you still get to pay for the test to get the sticker taken off.......

That stuff already happens now. Vehicle gets certified..... goes home, P riddled, cap wearing backwards, low rider pants home chop shop mechanic roots his springs by cutting a few winds of the springs.

But it still has a warrent........

ZeroIndex
3rd July 2006, 18:24
Stick that in ya' pipe and smoke it ;)

you mean "bolt that on ya' pipe"?

terbang
3rd July 2006, 19:03
Yeah, the brainless ones that blarrrgh-pish-blaaaaaaargh-pish right on front of the cop-shop have been ear-marked already.

And New Zealands roads will be much safer place for all of us.? Especially get those ones making noise outside the copshop they're definatly more likely to kill innocent people.!

Mikey27
3rd July 2006, 19:06

yeah but you and I don't ride round at midnight pissing people off

terbang
3rd July 2006, 19:08

Is this with or without plane attached to it..?

hXc
3rd July 2006, 19:28
140 airplane taking off

140-150 snare drum

Titanium
3rd July 2006, 19:45
Screaming Baby ----- priceless. (must be like 200 dbA or sumit...)

Staff whinging for a pay rise......... farken blardy loud....... 300 dbA at least ...... and the drone.....

Skyryder
3rd July 2006, 19:52
It's been on the cards for some time

Vehicle Equipment Amendment Rule (Third amendment - noise test)
(Rule 32017/3) This proposed Rule will make changes to the existing Rule to provide for appropriate requirements to accommodate the introduction of an objective noise test for vehicles. Blue phase

In policy development phase.

Here's another

Revised Vehicle Exhaust Emissions Rule
(Rule 33001/1) A Rule to provide for tests for 'smoky' vehicles. White phase

Rule being finalised for signature in mid 2006.

This will grab ya'll.

Vehicle Equipment Amendment Rule (Second amendment - immobilisers)
(Rule 32017/2) New amendment proposed to the Vehicle Equipment Rule to provide for the compulsory fitting of vehicle immobilisers, with the aim of reducing opportunistic vehicle theft by securing vuknerable vehicles. Blue phase

Skyryder

N4CR
3rd July 2006, 20:01
This will grab ya'll.

Vehicle Equipment Amendment Rule (Second amendment - immobilisers)
(Rule 32017/2) New amendment proposed to the Vehicle Equipment Rule to provide for the compulsory fitting of vehicle immobilisers, with the aim of reducing opportunistic vehicle theft by securing vuknerable vehicles. Blue phase

Skyryder

Which is accidentally triggered when pour souls do runners. *Ha ha.* Ha.

Looks like that's another thing that will have to be circumvented by some members...

I did notice the 'vulnerable' vehicles part.. is this remotely triggered or just general vehicle immobiliser like modernish cars have? I guess I'm just getting a bit '1984'.

I can see this being a problem on bikes, but an immobiliser won't help much when they usually pick them up and carry them away/wheel them around.

WINJA
3rd July 2006, 20:05
i dont really like noisy exhausts , i repacked my two brothers exhaust 4 times trying to get it quiet enough , i still dont like the idea of the pigs having this kind of law to abuse , if anything they should apply it to noisy busses and trains first

Shadows
3rd July 2006, 21:29
Somehow I don't think I'd test anywhere close to 85dba :angry:

Lou Girardin
4th July 2006, 08:15
Having been to yet another overseas city where there isn't a continual roar of modified exhausts and asthmatic induction systems, I can only say, the sooner the better.

Cookie
4th July 2006, 12:22
Which city was that Lou?

Lou Girardin
4th July 2006, 15:49
Which city was that Lou?

Milan, Vicenza and Bergamo.
The noisiest thing I heard was a Burgman type scoot with an aftermarket can on it. There was the odd bike with standard exhausts doing a zillion revs, but that's music, not noise.

ldnz
4th July 2006, 22:27
Just out of interest - are two strokes all gonna be rainbow stickered off the road if this smoky legislation eventually makes it as well? I don't know how this town would run without me providing a daily dose of synthetic 2smoke and Blap Blap Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap ... Ding Ding Ding Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap....

Mr. Peanut
4th July 2006, 22:35
Motul 600 smokeless.

ldnz
4th July 2006, 22:39
Sounds expensive :/

NC
4th July 2006, 22:41
Oh man, I love my yoshis!

SARGE
4th July 2006, 22:51
lets test the fuckin busses...all of them.. test for smoke and annoying fucktard passengers too..

( im running a gutted Micron..WAY over 86 db.. i cant WAIT till they try to say it SOUNDS too loud..sho me the numbers sparky)

diggydog
4th July 2006, 22:56
Somehow I don't think I'd test anywhere close to 85dba :angry:
I heard on the radio, that cars where 85DB and motorbikes are to be 100DB'S.
They tried to bring this law in the eight's, but failed because most people where against it.

ZeroIndex
4th July 2006, 23:05
A police car went screaming past me today with it's siren blarring.. i ended up with a minor headache after that.. i should sue them.. there sirens are way too loud

N4CR
4th July 2006, 23:08
A police car went screaming past me today with it's siren blarring.. i ended up with a minor headache after that.. i should sue them.. there sirens are way too loud

So are your relatives when a home invader takes a gun to their heads.

Ixion
4th July 2006, 23:16
Has anyone noticed the really unfair thing about this new noise rule? It only applies to bikes cars and trucks under 3500kg. Big muvvafukka trucks and buses can make as much noise as they want.

And the LTSA CLAIMED during the consultation phase of the emission thing that it was not intended to apply to two strokes (specifically) or other engines which , by reason of their inherent design, could not be smokeless. But given that the LTSA lie about everything they do, we shall just have to wait and see. I put in a submission about it, I don't suppose anyone else bothered, apathetic lot modern bikers.

sAsLEX
5th July 2006, 08:55
They tried to bring this law in the eight's, but failed because most people where against it.

umm they did! I will repeat myself that the 76 traffic regulations stipulated the maximum levels different classes of vehicles could attain, and identified the testing methods that these values were to be tested using!

Motu
5th July 2006, 09:09
Yep,the rule has been there for ever - but there is no way to put it into action.The only way they are going to be able to get any rules on exhausts is to make it compulsory for the vehicle to have the standard exhaust it was complied with - this means you will NOT be able to change the exhaust system from standard.It's coming - all the new rules are being based around compliance standards.It's coming,keep pushing and it'll come even sooner....

sAsLEX
5th July 2006, 10:34
Yep,the rule has been there for ever - but there is no way to put it into action.

umm they could of set up a testing station and ran the tests if you didnt have a stock can!

More people will just go the plateless not stopping route if they increase draconian laws like this!

Motu
5th July 2006, 11:20
Bigger fine,criminal charge - yeah right,smart move eh? But motorcyclists have never been the sharpest knife in the draw......

Shadows
5th July 2006, 17:54

Even that might be a bit of an ask!

The_Dover
5th July 2006, 17:56
Like fuck it'll be 100dB cos my GSXR750K6 is rated at 102dB stock.

Wankers.

Ixion
5th July 2006, 18:07
Yep,the rule has been there for ever - but there is no way to put it into action.The only way they are going to be able to get any rules on exhausts is to make it compulsory for the vehicle to have the standard exhaust it was complied with - this means you will NOT be able to change the exhaust system from standard.It's coming - all the new rules are being based around compliance standards.It's coming,keep pushing and it'll come even sooner....

The rule's been around for ages. But it's next to impossible to enforce, because noise measurement is such a complex pig of an exercise, doing it as part of a WoF would put the cost up beyond what is politically acceptable - Every WoF place would have to have a special testing facility.

Homulgation is one route, as you say. But the problem here is that NZ has such a dog's dinner of different models of vehicles, there is no way the most of them are going to be abel to get OEM replacement zorsts after they get to be a typical NZ age. Fine for vehicles a few years old- but try going and getting a new OEM exhaust for a 20 year old car.

So that in practical terms means allowing after market mufflers, and they're not going to be willing to go through the very expensive process of homolgation for the few units they'd sell per year.

No politician is willing to say to 50% of the vehicle owners in the country "Your car is no longer going to ab able to be used. Scrap it". Political suicide.

diggydog
5th July 2006, 18:26

Wankers.
I talking to this guy that worked for something transport dept going back a few years,he did a test on a truck, it was as noise inside the cab as it was out side truck, he said that it was just big joke.:yes:

skidMark
5th July 2006, 19:18
as the law currently stands for a wof and i'm guessing the same for a cops ear....it is not the db when it is being revved that is tested but infact the idle decibals....when it comes wof time if you have a noisy as hell bike a little trick is slow your idle righttttt down so the poor thing will only just run....

this is basically how harleys can pass though is because the test must be performed at idle and not at revs....

helps to be nice to your WOF man too

Motu
5th July 2006, 20:04
T
Homulgation is one route, as you say. But the problem here is that NZ has such a dog's dinner of different models of vehicles, there is no way the most of them are going to be abel to get OEM replacement zorsts after they get to be a typical NZ age. Fine for vehicles a few years old- but try going and getting a new OEM exhaust for a 20 year old car.

So that in practical terms means allowing after market mufflers, and they're not going to be willing to go through the very expensive process of homolgation for the few units they'd sell per year.

It'll be Grandfathered in - from X date....in 10 years it won't matter.Remember high stop lamps and rear seat belts? The cars that don't need them are practically off the radar,and we were so upset about it at the time.Aftermarket car exhausts now have Db ratings....although with Southwards now dropping their exhaust plant all our mufflers will now be sourced from overseas (now where have I heard that before....another local industry lost to us) A big overseas plant will be hammering out rated exhausts for a world market,it will just be so easy to fit us in - EVERY exhaust imported into this country WILL comply! The local exhaust industry will be frogmarched into compliance.It's a done deal I tell you,everything is in place.....all waiting for public complaints to tip the politcians into action.Bikes???,just make them follow the same rules as the cars.

Lou Girardin
6th July 2006, 08:29

Wankers.

Is that on the noise test sticker? Most overseas limits are less than 95.

The_Dover
6th July 2006, 08:34
Yes Lou. It's there in black and white so as not to be racialist.

Lou Girardin
6th July 2006, 10:32
Yes Lou. It's there in black and white so as not to be racialist.

What'd the sticker cost?

The_Dover
6th July 2006, 11:17
What'd the sticker cost?

It was fuckin expensive, but the free bike was worth it.

Quasievil
6th July 2006, 13:16
It'll be pretty easy to find out - just go past your local cop giving it death,then he'll send you off to a testing facillity (user pays remember) and you'll be issued with a pass or fail.Then you'll have the proof on paper.....and entered into the police system as an electronic copy.Do it,go on...put it to the test.....

Okay, now where is that spare $4500 gone ?

MWVT
7th July 2006, 15:01
.The only way they are going to be able to get any rules on exhausts is to make it compulsory for the vehicle to have the standard exhaust it was complied with - this means you will NOT be able to change the exhaust system from standard.

How does one know if your exhaust is OEM or not. Apart from the ludicrous noise it makes of course

Motu
7th July 2006, 15:21
It will be marked as such - with make and model and the standard it complies with.If it has no such marking it will be out,and you'll have to buy a complete new system.Do you hear all the bleating and moaning about brake hoses on this site? - it will be nothing compared to the hue and cry about exhaust systems.