View Full Version : Wellington does the Makiro Track

XP@
4th July 2006, 09:36
A hardy bunch of dingbats from welly went here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2919992#post2919992

'twas a bloody awsome ride! lots of hungry mud

merv
4th July 2006, 15:00
Now I know what I missed by being away. Looks great - who had the chainsaw or were those logs already cut?

XP@
4th July 2006, 15:22
Now I know what I missed by being away. Looks great - who had the chainsaw or were those logs already cut?
We used our teeth!

Naw, i wish, someone had been there before us... I think... I was waiting for charlie at the time

Motu
4th July 2006, 15:27
And an HP2 for company - I bet that was a relief to lift after all those heavy bikes! That's a pretty serious looking track for big bikes.

adam666
4th July 2006, 16:05
nice ride guys!

look forward to being able to join you all in future.....
...if i can get mine goin that is :wait:

and DAMN those BMWs are HUGE!!! :gob:

OT: is 'the duck 01' from that advrider forum on here? pls PM if u know (attempts to keep thread on track :) )

cheers
Adam

XP@
4th July 2006, 16:53
And an HP2 for company - I bet that was a relief to lift after all those heavy bikes! That's a pretty serious looking track for big bikes.
the hp2 was the one that beat the kiwirider up to the race to the sky. darn fine looking bike.

Next time i would swap my road tyres for something more agressive.

Zukin
5th July 2006, 10:32
Great story and great pictures!!
One day you will make it to the beach :yes:

So are you a bunch of good friends or a club?

Cheers

Eurodave
5th July 2006, 13:22

HP2's also come in mini size, courtesy of China!!!:rockon:

Motu
5th July 2006, 13:44
the hp2 was the one that beat the kiwirider up to the race to the sky. darn fine looking bike.

Next time i would swap my road tyres for something more agressive.

Those Bridgestones are superb on seal,not too bad on gravel - but totaly useless in mud or any soft surface.

XP@
5th July 2006, 16:06
totaly useless in mud or any soft surface.
If I said that was an understatement, then that would be an understatement.

The muddy clay was squidgy enough on 4skins dr650 when i borrowed that. On the bridgestones is was just funny, I could have used slicks covered in vasaline and had better grip.

Motu
5th July 2006, 16:28
I had them on my XLV750 once - a skateboard on castors would be a description of the control they give.

clint640
6th July 2006, 08:59
HP2's also come in mini size, courtesy of China!!!:rockon:

Maaaate! I wanna turn up at the next Capital Coast Adv on one of them!

Cheers
Clint

XP@
6th July 2006, 10:30
Great story and great pictures!!
One day you will make it to the beach :yes:

So are you a bunch of good friends or a club?

Cheers
Just mates, nothing formal

Garry.W
16th August 2006, 17:33
JBF was planning on an overnighter early December to tackle this again AND have time to get to the beach. You up for it James? Of course you'll have decent tyres by then!!

Zukin
16th August 2006, 17:54
I am a definate starter and can provide a place to stay at one of the nearby beaches :yes:

Zukin
16th August 2006, 18:03
Hey all

I read on the other forum that a date had been pencilled in for the 2nd and 3rd December??

Why not make a weekend of it?
I would suggest staying in Masterton on Friday night, and we can probably make arrangements for the gear to be taken out to the accommodation so you dont have to carry it?

Here is the rough plan (with attached Maps)

DAY 1 Saturday ??
Approx Total Distance = 260km

Depart Masterton at approx 8.30am
Follow SH2 to Pahiatua
I would recommend that everyone tops up here with fuel, the next fuel stop is approx 115km away (Pongaroa)
Into Makario Track then down to Pori Road, then up the road to Pongaroa
Pit Stop and Refuel

Then its a loop to Akitio and into Owahanga Station (Private Property) and cross the Mataikona River (which is normally running low, but there will be a Plan B just in case)
80km to next Refuel at Mataikona if we get to cross the river, or if we need to revert to Plan B then its approx 190km!!

Stopover here
Accommodation has approx 8-10 good beds and heaps of room on the floors and tents.

DAY 2 = 170km
A later start today
We follow the gravel road to Whakataki, then its onto the seal to Castlepoint, We then again head over Private land to Otahome, and onto Riversdale.
Then is back onto the gravel again before heading back towards Gladstone. Pit stop here.
Then its a quick ride up Mount Dick for Panoramic Views of the Wairarapa before leaving and going our separate ways.

I am happy to help organise this trip if the others will allow me?

Cheers Scott