PDA

View Full Version : Clutch lever.

Magua
4th July 2006, 17:25
I got my bike back from the shop today, all spick and span bar the clutch lever.
When pulled in, the bike is still trying to pull away. So I adjusted the cable down by the engine and it somehow made it worse.

I rang colemans and they tell me my clutch lever is not the correct one, as it hits where I've circled in the photo. So I went to action wreckers and bought another. Turns out it's exactly the same as the one on my bike, doh.

Do I buy a lever that's bigger or is there something I can do that's elluded me?

T.W.R
4th July 2006, 17:42
Doesn't look like the proper lever for the bracket in the 2nd picture, when the clutch is released the lever should sit flush against the housing (seam line between the two pieces, no gap).

The bottom adjuster is for general adjustment & the adjuster at the lever is for fine adjustment. General rule of thumb is roughly about 3mm freeplay at the lever (gap between the lever & bracket) (the exact amount should be in your manual, if you have one?).

Got a picture of the bottom adjuster?

Two Smoker
4th July 2006, 17:45
Must be still wrong, i cant remember mine doing that...

SlowHand
4th July 2006, 22:14
I got half a one lying around somewhere if you want to try it.

Im usually in Albany or Kumeu(ish) if you want it. PM.

Motig
5th July 2006, 11:25
I presume it was working before, if so might just need new clutch cable, present one probably stretched too much.

T.W.R
5th July 2006, 12:48
I presume it was working before, if so might just need new clutch cable, present one probably stretched too much.

??? the top adjuster is fully wound in :shit:

Magua
5th July 2006, 14:32
It's wound out now.

Went to the wrecker and he swears it's the right one. :spudwhat:
I'll get strats off of him, try that. :P

merv
5th July 2006, 15:58
Why don't you go down to Colemans and see what they've got for the bike? You usually have a choice of OEM parts at the wrong price or mongrel parts at the right price at any bike shop - I wouldn't expect to pay more than about $10 - $15 for a mongrel or $20 - $25 for OEM - is that going to break you?

The lever you show on your bike looks very short, more like a trail bike lever - does it have the same dogleg bend as the brake lever on the other side or does it look odd compared to that?

Magua
5th July 2006, 16:22
Why don't you go down to Colemans and see what they've got for the bike? You usually have a choice of OEM parts at the wrong price or mongrel parts at the right price at any bike shop - I wouldn't expect to pay more than about $10 - $15 for a mongrel or $20 - $25 for OEM - is that going to break you?

Actually, yes.

The lever you show on your bike looks very short, more like a trail bike lever - does it have the same dogleg bend as the brake lever on the other side or does it look odd compared to that?

The brake lever has less of a bend. I'll tka e a photo when I've charged the batteries.

Ixion
5th July 2006, 17:59
It's wound out now.

Went to the wrecker and he swears it's the right one. :spudwhat:
I'll get strats off of him, try that. :P

I suspect it has moved. Wizzywozzy the lever relative to the thingywozzit block

Motig
5th July 2006, 19:39
If its all wound out = stretched.

Magua
7th July 2006, 19:07
It's not the cable, it's not the lever, both have been replaced and there is no difference.

Something's not right within the engine, I'll trailer it back to colemans tommorow and they can fix what they started.

imdying
7th July 2006, 19:29
If its all wound out = stretched.
Cables are steel, they don't stretch. I've lengthened as many cables as I've shortened, usually the same cable days after shortening them :lol:

FruitLooPs
7th July 2006, 20:26
It's not the cable, it's not the lever, both have been replaced and there is no difference.

Something's not right within the engine, I'll trailer it back to colemans tommorow and they can fix what they started.

Ooh bugger, nothing but bad luck huh :nono: maybe PM oyster as he seems to know his RG's internally pretty well.

I could get you a pic of my clutch level if you want? :yes:

Motig
8th July 2006, 11:30
Well they used to in the good old days.

erik
8th July 2006, 16:20
How does the cable connect to the engine?
On some bikes (eg my bandit 400) there is a screw adjuster thing that pushes on a pushrod to move the clutch, it has to be set before the cable can be set.
Dunno if it applies to your bike though.

Magua
8th July 2006, 17:00
Could you take a photo?

imdying
8th July 2006, 17:09
Well they used to in the good old days.
No they didn't... I've worked on cars so old that they don't even have hydraulics, only cables, and none of those were ever stretched either.

Motig
8th July 2006, 21:33
:whocares:

erik
9th July 2006, 00:34
Could you take a photo?

Here's the relevant bits from the bandit 400 manual - if it's similar it should help.

98tls
9th July 2006, 00:42
set the actuator up right first,if you dont no end of playing with lever adjuster will work.

FruitLooPs
9th July 2006, 01:16
Photos as requested. Again crappy cam, add to that my miniSD card wont read on my computer anymore :angry: I had to email them from my phone to myself lol.

One of brake and one clutch, mine appear to match

36666 :)