PDA

View Full Version : A question or 2 about my old GSX....

Hooks
29th May 2004, 10:22
I am playing with the chain on the old girl and I would be interested to know how much slack is too much ...it's at about 3cm !!....and how can you see how much further to travel the adjusters have left ??
It doesn't seem to have any wear (not major anyway) on the sprockets but does sound a little "clunky" dropping it into 1st. Also can anyone give me a ball-park figure on a tune up for her too.....she hasn't been touched in 6000kms !! and has only needed a new set of plugs....even then the old ones were OK to keep as spares once the had been cleaned up !! they weren't oiled up or carboned even !!....
There is a small oil leak coming from the oil cooler ?? on the front of the engine down by the base of the engine ...is possible to get seals for the pipes that connect to the small radiator. It leaks onto the exhaust and makes some nasty smoke on warm-up !!.....it only started to leak a couple of weeks ago and while it isn't alot it would be very embarrassing to get some catch fire !!
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated !!

Posh Tourer :P
29th May 2004, 11:21
is that 3cm one way ie down, or both up and down. I would suggest 4cm up and down. Check for loose and tight points too though. 4cm at the loosest point is what I normally do

Hooks
29th May 2004, 12:54
Yeah thanks Posh...it's about 3cm at it's loosest....so that would be all good then !!....Am going to have a go at the oil leak in the morning......should be fun !!

wkid_one
29th May 2004, 15:03
Most manu recommend no more than 50mm from highest to lowest point......

FROSTY
29th May 2004, 18:08
I am playing with the chain on the old girl and I would be interested to know how much slack is too much ...it's at about 3cm !!....and how can you see how much further to travel the adjusters have left ??
It doesn't seem to have any wear (not major anyway) on the sprockets but does sound a little "clunky" dropping it into 1st. Also can anyone give me a ball-park figure on a tune up for her too.....she hasn't been touched in 6000kms !! and has only needed a new set of plugs....even then the old ones were OK to keep as spares once the had been cleaned up !! they weren't oiled up or carboned even !!....
There is a small oil leak coming from the oil cooler ?? on the front of the engine down by the base of the engine ...is possible to get seals for the pipes that connect to the small radiator. It leaks onto the exhaust and makes some nasty smoke on warm-up !!.....it only started to leak a couple of weeks ago and while it isn't alot it would be very embarrassing to get some catch fire !!
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated !!
The chain thing has been covered pretty well I can't add a thing.
The clunk into first is common for one of those big suzies Nothing to wory about.
The oil leak Hmm --Ive never really had much luck sealing up one of those darn things at the joints -Dunno why.
With the xj750/900s Ive had If the oil cooler leaked i just removed it.
Funnily enough there were models of gsx1100 without oil coolers. Yours may be a bike for a warmer climate.
About serviceing --Ive got a haynes manual for your bike -1100/1132/1150 models so if ya need to know anything Ive got it here.
-BTW im thinking yours is the half faired one with dinner plate headlight

Jackrat
29th May 2004, 19:51
Yeah a mate of mine had a GSX1100 an it had no cooler.
For your leak,replace the copper seal if it has one and wrap a bit of pumblers tape around the thread.
My own GSX750 never had a proper shop tune in the time I owned it,just oil changes an such.Three years and it just didn,t need it.
Prim'o bikes :niceone:

merv
30th May 2004, 19:57
40 - 50mm chain slack sounds a lot for a road bike. My VFR is 20mm total travel recommended in the manual and on the sticker on the side of the chain guard.

Warren
30th May 2004, 22:06
My FXR states 20-30mm slack total at the loosest point.
You should also clean the air filter if you havan't done that yet.

FROSTY
30th May 2004, 22:27
From memory the old twin shockers had less swingarm travel than the modern bikes -so they would have less slack in the chain.

White trash
31st May 2004, 10:52
is that 3cm one way ie down, or both up and down. I would suggest 4cm up and down. Check for loose and tight points too though. 4cm at the loosest point is what I normally do

On what? :wacko:

FROSTY
31st May 2004, 11:20
Yea Pt--how do you tension the drive chain on ya BM?? :bash:

Gixxer 4 ever
20th June 2004, 08:31
It doesn't seem to have any wear (not major anyway) on the sprockets but does sound a little "clunky" dropping it into 1st. !!
I had an old ESD and the fix for this was a tweak to the clutch. It may not be opening the clutch plates enough hence the clunk to engage the gear teeth. When I say a tweak it is most likely only 1 turn of the adjuster then re do the lock nut. This is not the cable but the rod that pushes through the top of the crank. The adjuster is usually behind a plate on the cover for the front sprocket.

Gixxer 4 ever
20th June 2004, 12:03
It doesn't seem to have any wear (not major anyway) on the sprockets but does sound a little "clunky" dropping it into 1st. !

Add to my last post here. I assumed it was a cable clutch not a hydraulic clutch. If Hydraulic I would be looking at replacing the fibrous clutch plates.