PDA

View Full Version : Another trick helmet not sold in NZ

MD
5th July 2006, 16:41
Why am I cursed with a helmet fetish and all the cool stuff is not available. You need two visors with this winter riding when żou get sunstrike one moment then darkness falls 5 seconds later etc.. It would be cool to have a helmet with a permanent built in dark visor. I know the latest Nolan 102 has an outside small sunscreen cover that flips up over the top of the helmet but that's not as clever as a retractable one like this. And the shaded visor reminds me of a jet fighters helmet with the way it fully wraps around your eyes & cheeks. By retracting you would never scratch the dark visor either, and in summer you could ride with the clear visor up letting air flow around your face while still protecting your eyes from bug splats. Trick trick and tricky, I like it.
I contacted the so called NZ Agent, but they're not interested in bringing in another brand of helmets into an already over supplied market- fair enough I understand that logic but what about bringing in for individual orders. There's also a better looking model from Lazer in Belgium- Revolution model but I couldn't download there pics.(see www.lazer.be if you are interested)
I'm going to try and contact the Australian Agents for both makes and see if they will ship one over. Or maybe get my bro in Squidney to buy me one.
Oh yeah open the first picture and enjoy the animated show.

Lou Girardin
5th July 2006, 17:02
Schuberth do a similar one. I thought about bringing one in, then I read some US reviews which weren't great. Then there's the problem of getting visors and parts.
I wonder how much of a hassle changing the dark visor is?

imdying
5th July 2006, 17:04
http://www.anarchyaccessories.co.nz/

These guys stock some cool helmets, quite like a matt black Craft RX6 myself

SARGE
5th July 2006, 17:25
http://www.anarchyaccessories.co.nz/

These guys stock some cool helmets, quite like a matt black Craft RX6 myself

yea.. im lookin at those myself.. Cobra or Evo (http://www.craft-helmets.com/Shop.htm) in Matte black

MD
5th July 2006, 18:27
yea.. im lookin at those myself.. Cobra or Evo (http://www.craft-helmets.com/Shop.htm) in Matte black
I was reading the latest T.W.O. mag which had a section on some of the latest helmets. That sent me off searching the web sites. TWO had that Cobra in it. Bloody hell, one mean muffa of a helmet. TWO had them selling for 249 quid, which is about $780, so that's a good price from anarchy.

Marmoot
5th July 2006, 18:39
I wonder how much of a hassle changing the dark visor is?

Changing the visor is very quick and hassle-free

Bringing the spare clear visor with you when you're out most of the day, however, is a big Hassle....and we're talking something of a Hoff proportion!

SARGE
5th July 2006, 18:39
I was reading the latest T.W.O. mag which had a section on some of the latest helmets. That sent me off searching the web sites. TWO had that Cobra in it. Bloody hell, one mean muffa of a helmet. TWO had them selling for 249 quid, which is about $780, so that's a good price from anarchy.

we should do a group buy.. see if we can get a discount

Big Dave
5th July 2006, 19:38
Haven't tried those ones - but I have tried several top makes of system helmets and they were all as 'Noisy as a Rugby team at a brothel' - Biff.

Uncomfortably so.

MD
5th July 2006, 19:52

Bringing the spare clear visor with you when you're out most of the day, however, is a big Hassle....and we're talking something of a Hoff proportion!

Marmoot, I think Lou was asking how hard to change the inner dark visor on the caberg helmet. Probably a major mission but since it sits behind the clear visor it should not get chipped ,so should last for the life of the helmet.
That's why I want one of these dual visor helmets. You never have to carry a second visor and never have to remove one to attach the other. Just a quick flick of the lever as you're riding along and hey presto, dark to clear or clear to dark in a split second. The only time you would ever remove one would be the outer visor, if it ever got too scratched.
I had a Nolan flip up once and I suppose there is always going to be a bit more wind noise with any flip up. But the up side is not having to remove your helmet at gas stations.

Sarge- good idea about bulk buying but I'm not interested myself in the Cobra.

Marmoot
5th July 2006, 20:51
might include removal of inner linings, I guess.

imdying
5th July 2006, 21:00
Just something about the matt black... would be a nice lid till I could afford to have something painted.

imdying
5th July 2006, 21:02
I have tried several top makes of system helmetsExcuse my ignorance, but what's a 'system helmet'?

sAsLEX
5th July 2006, 21:04

Just use the clear set up like this

http://www.glassonweb.com/glassmanual/topics/index/electrochromic.htm
Electrochromic glass is an energy-saving component for buildings that can change color on command. It works by passing low-voltage electrical charges across a microscopically-thin coating on the glass surface, activating a electrochromic layer which changes color from clear to dark. The electric current can be activated manually or by sensors which react to light intensity. Glass darkening reduces solar transmission into the building. When there is little sunlight, the glass brightens, so that the need for the artificial light is minimized.

Patch
5th July 2006, 21:11
There are cheaper places to get the Craft helmets - just have a nosy at http://www.smfcycles.com/craft/RX.html who supplies Anarchy. Gives you an idea of his markup especially what he wants for spare/different visors :gob:

Google is a wonderful tool.

quickbuck
5th July 2006, 21:31
Haven't tried those ones - but I have tried several top makes of system helmets and they were all as 'Noisy as a Rugby team at a brothel' - Biff.

Uncomfortably so.
Just what I was thinking there Big Dave. The noise of that Lazer must be enormous.

I love my Shoei (offie) because the flush visor system is nice and quiet.

I have a tinted insert on mine, and carry an extra clear visor.
The reason for the tinted insert (anti fog), apart from being fog resistant is:Should I get caught out in the dark with only the tinted visor, I can rip out the insert and ride home safely. It is only $30 down the drain, and I can replace it. However, if I had a full on tint... well, that is just plain nuts (for me, I know some people have no problem riding with a tint at night).

imdying
5th July 2006, 21:35
Thave a nosy at http://www.smfcycles.com/craft/RX.html who supplies Anarchy.Might be another dumb question, but how do you know that's where Anarchy buys from?

betti
6th July 2006, 06:23
I've got a craft rx-9.looks cool as, but is noisy, uncomfortable,has restricted vision.and if you have a slightly over-sized! nose ,forget it, it will catch on the chin piece.
On the other hand I had a caberg j1 flip front in the Uk, which was excellent, quieter than the craft, only snag was, when riding with the chin piece up, it got a helluva of a buffeting and dragged your head from side to side.
Yer pays yer money I guess...

MD
6th July 2006, 06:53
Thanks for that Betti. I googled and found a bike helmet review site on the Lazer and Caberg. The latest Caberg (in my pictures above) scored really well in all areas. They were impressed with the low noise and extra features and quality of product. Google also located a UK outlet thet WILL sell direct to anywhere in the world so I might use them. Waiting to see if the Oz distributor of Lazer gets back to me.

Lou Girardin
6th July 2006, 08:40

Uncomfortably so.

Tha's why you should wear earplugs.

Marmoot
6th July 2006, 10:55
Just use the clear set up like this
...blablabla GLASS blablabla....

Ha.....that is hassle-free alright. But when I kiss the tarmac and the glass (GLASS) shatters to my face, I'd look exactly like the Hoff himself
:blah:

sAsLEX
6th July 2006, 11:01
Ha.....that is hassle-free alright. But when I kiss the tarmac and the glass (GLASS) shatters to my face, I'd look exactly like the Hoff himself
:blah:

yah monkey , it uses a microscopic layer "on" the glass, so the glass is just being used as a substrate to hold this darkening shit, so could possibly put it on the polycarbonate visors as well, but you only saw blah blah blah didnt ya!

XP@
6th July 2006, 11:13
Why am I cursed with a helmet fetish and all the cool stuff is not available.
Was looking at the exact same lid yesterday!
and the similar Caberg Justissimo
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/caberg-justissimo/

I want a new lid it must be flip up and would really like a sun visor.

The Nolan N102 has an external sun visor, not bad but the lid does not fit me, wrong shape and I would prefer the visor to be internal (reduce drag)

The Shubeth is not avalible here, and the C2 is more expensive than the Caberg

I could buy any of the lids from overseas but will they fit? I dunno.

C'mon importers give me quality of choice not just a blue or gray HJC.

Lou Girardin
6th July 2006, 12:08
The Nolan N102 and I would prefer the visor to be internal (reduce drag)

There is no drag. At least up to 170.

kawaman
6th July 2006, 14:14
I have the Schuberth S1 with the internal flip down fighter pilot type dark visor. Totally awesome as a road helmet and you dont need to carry a spare visor.

It is noticeably larger than my old Arai and weighs a couple of hundred grams more but I dont notice it on the road (these are the reasons why some reviews knock it back).

They also claim some other advancements over other brands but in reality it is equal to but no better than most top of the line helmets, with the added benefit of the internal dark visor but larger and a little heavier.

You might not race on the track with one (it is not a rece rep helmet) but as a helmet for big road miles in all conditions it is perfect.

XP@
6th July 2006, 14:29
There is no drag. At least up to 170.
Even with the visor up?
It just seems as though it will get in the way.

Lou Girardin
6th July 2006, 14:40
Even with the visor up?
It just seems as though it will get in the way.

Yep. Nolan are good with their aerodynamic R&D.

keza
6th July 2006, 15:08
schberth is sold here have full stock here s1 ans c2 concept come and see them and try good parts supply

Marmoot
6th July 2006, 16:23
yah monkey , it uses a microscopic layer "on" the glass, so the glass is just being used as a substrate to hold this darkening shit, so could possibly put it on the polycarbonate visors as well, but you only saw blah blah blah didnt ya!

of course I only saw the blah blah. I didn't carry my dark visor and the sun was blinding my eyes so I can't read properly.

See, this thing could've been easily prevented had I been able to purchase this cool helmet from someone in NZ.

imdying
7th July 2006, 09:56
I've not resisting the RX6 very well... seems a shame to get a clear visor for it, needs a tinted as well..

MD
14th July 2006, 11:37
Yippee! After hours of wasted web searching I ordered the Caberg V2- see below..This is not the flip up. Didn't like the floppy ear look on the sides of the flip up Justissmo model (shown in my first post)

None of the three, so called Distributors, for Lazer helmets bothered to reply to my emails - 2 in Oz one in Singapore. The so called NZ agent for Caberg declined to bring them in. Of the six Online shops I located in the UK four declined to ship offshore and the Belfast one still has not replied after a week. These Guys really deserve to be in the retail sales business don't they.
But, scottiknights.co.uk have the better selection, best web site to use and were helpful. Lowest prices too. Shipping is damn expensive from the UK. I'm getting the blue but they wont have that colour in stock for another week.
Looking forward to getting this new toy . Going to be great on those Friday evening rides coming home as it gets dark and hey presto, instant visor change as I ride along! The Caberg brand scored really well in the webbikereview site for low noise, quality of manufacture and for having lots of features. The Crafts were poorly rated especially by the owners themselves for no venting.

sAsLEX
14th July 2006, 11:48
How much with and without postage?

Big Dave
14th July 2006, 11:54
Tha's why you should wear earplugs.

I alwas do - or an iPod mostly - still noisy f*ckers - even with plugs.

MD
15th July 2006, 10:18
The Belfast shop replied. 85 pounds to courier to NZ! That's $255. You might think that's taking the piss but the others were around 78 quid.

The helmet was 99 quid at most of the on-line shops but 90 at Scottimkights who I used.
Still works out better than an up market Italian helmet sold here. Not that we can even get an equivalent here, with internal visor, adjustable length buckles.

Edit: They're going to send mine standard airmail 41 quid

sAsLEX
15th July 2006, 10:42
The Belfast shop replied. 85 pounds to courier to NZ! That's $255. You might think that's taking the piss but the others were around 78 quid.

The helmet was 99 quid at most of the on-line shops but 90 at Scottimkights who I used.
Still works out better than an up market Italian helmet sold here. Not that we can even get an equivalent here, with internal visor, adjustable length buckles.

Shit thats a bit, going to England next year and we get 2m^3 of sea freight, 50 Kg of air freight and 60kg on the air line baggage so will be bringing me some stuff back i think!

betti
16th July 2006, 08:34
if you can get a contact sorted over there, you can use international economy airmail, a helmet is about £20 , $60 ish, and takes around two weeks.

MD
8th August 2006, 18:46
The new skid lid turned up today. Bloody awesome, really pleased with it. looks better than in pictures. Fits well and is much lighter than any other lid I've owned.
The quality of this Caberg is impressive; paint looks top notch, fully removable inner linings. Good seals around the visor opening look like it will be very quiet. I would have ducked out for a blat to check noise level, but it's persisting down outside - as usual.
Both the inner dark and outer clear visor are easy to remove. The outer has a clever one push lever and it's off. You can leave the dark visor at any level to suit the angle of sunstrike as well.
here's a pic with the outer removed so you get an ideal what the dark visor is like. Roll on the weekend- a dry one please and some riding at dusk.

Meanie
19th August 2007, 13:11
Nice, very nice