PDA

View Full Version : What do you use your Harley for?

Bonez
5th July 2006, 21:16
I think I'm about to go into mid-life crisis mode and need to know what HDs are actually good for.

Thank you for your input.

Goblin
5th July 2006, 21:22
They're good for agricultural work.

Oh sorry...should have put a P/T there:yes:

Mid-life crisis eh? I'm sure there are better bikes to have a mid-life crisis with...Italian bikes are popular. Having ridden the pictured bike('95 Virbragilde) I can confirm that they do indeed vibrate lots, which might be good for a mid-life crisis. If you like to tinker & spend lot of money and do lots of work on your bike then a Harley might be just right. Lots of chrome to polish too:yes:

boomer
5th July 2006, 22:34
sustaining fires

The_Dover
5th July 2006, 22:42
Boat anchors?

limbimtimwim
5th July 2006, 22:50
Talking about a your local Law Society / Accountants / Bank Manager get together dinners?

Mental Trousers
5th July 2006, 23:22
Harleys are good for justifying your long repressed love of tassles.

T.W.R
6th July 2006, 00:21
I think I'm about to go into mid-life crisis mode and need to know what HDs are actually good for.

Causing unwanted headaches :yes:

que Scumdog :wait:

popelli
6th July 2006, 07:40
need to know what HDs are actually good for.

holding the land speed record for motorcycles since 1990

and the same bike and rider actually cracked the record back in 1978

Troll
6th July 2006, 07:50
I am in that age group and test rode a Harley 1450 and a BMW 850R
For the extra $10k difference in price (new) the Harley test ride did
not make me feel the extra money was worth it .

went thru exactly the same delima 10 years ago choosing between a bmw and an electraglide

thank god somebody pointed out a very basic fact of life, what would the BMW be worth in 5 years time, basically not very much.

I bought the Harley & 10 years later / 70,000 miles later it is still worth close to what I paid and has for the most part been more more reliable than a bmw I had owned previously

On paper the bmw looks better, more performance and higher spec, however the depreciation costs need to be factored in

sels1
6th July 2006, 08:28

I reckon you would look better on a Bonneville....

http://www.triumphnz.co.nz/

limbimtimwim
6th July 2006, 10:21
I reckon you would look better on a Bonneville....Yeah!! "New Old" Triumphs are great looking bikes. Anyone would look good on one. Even me.

Hitcher
6th July 2006, 10:54
Harleys? If you want one and can afford one, buy one.

Mental Trousers
6th July 2006, 11:43

Sounds interesting. Which record?? Got a url??

ZeroIndex
6th July 2006, 11:47
South Island tours (straight roads)..
Giant Paperweight..

Lou Girardin
6th July 2006, 13:52
Nothing on two wheels impresses women like Harleys.
It's all primal, that a man can tame 2 1/2 tonnes of thundering US iron makes them weak above the knees. They just don't think some hunchbacked race suit clad sprotbike rider is mating material.

The_Dover
6th July 2006, 13:56
Well, like they say Lou.

You can't have a vagina and brains.

Goblin
6th July 2006, 13:58
It's all primal, that a man can tame 2 1/2 tonnes of thundering US iron makes them weak above the knees. They just don't think some hunchbacked race suit clad sprotbike rider is mating material.
Oh it's all about impressing women is it? :tugger: Don't know that any women are actually impressed by a 1340cc penis extention.:sick:

Lou Girardin
6th July 2006, 14:04
Oh it's all about impressing women is it? :tugger: Don't know that any women are actually impressed by a 1340cc penis extention.:sick:

You don't think a 1450cc penis is impressive?

But to be fair, I think that the fact a guy can drop $60,000 on a weekend toy has a bit to do with it.

Rashika
6th July 2006, 14:14
Well, like they say Lou.

You can't have a vagina and brains.
I guess you would know ALLLLLL about that eh Dover?

....errr that be a 1450cc extension, and yup for quite a few THAT is all it IS about.
Just as well some of us have a decent bike to make up for what *they* may be lacking. Tho I have been and am still very lucky in that department :blip:

The_Dover
6th July 2006, 14:20
Yeah, I got da brains.

Rashika
6th July 2006, 14:21
Yeah, I got da brains.
REALLY?? I thought it was more of the vagina.... :shutup:

The_Dover
6th July 2006, 14:22
No but Vicky lets me borrow hers if I'm nice.

Rashika
6th July 2006, 14:27
No but Vicky lets me borrow hers if I'm nice.
well I guess you must be nice on occasions then? Or then again, maybe its been a while for you huh? ;)

anyway back to the thread... I LUV my Harley, cos it has the heart of a Harley and the feel of a sportsbike and the Passion of a Buell! :innocent: :rockon:
And I use it whenever I want a buzz of the 2 wheeled variety

Goblin
6th July 2006, 14:30
You don't think a 1450cc penis is impressive?

But to be fair, I think that the fact a guy can drop $60,000 on a weekend toy has a bit to do with it.
:blip: Right on the money there! It's the size of the wallet that impresses most women(and guys for that matter) I must be really odd then if I'm impressed by the down on his luck nobody who still enjoys life without feeling the need to try to impress with "image".

1450cc penis does nothing for me:whocares:

Hailwood
6th July 2006, 14:31
At the risk of being accused of actually sticking to the question here............I have owned my Harley for about 6 months and found it to be the most comfortable bike I have ridden in my 29 years of mc ownership. Yes it is not as fast as a jappa sportsbike and may not handle like italian bikes ( Ive owned three Italian bikes and they arent all that either by the way) but as a bike for a good cruise on a weekend with my wife on the back or for a longer sedate trip (120 kmh) I would not have any other bike.

Yes there are some posers riding Harleys but you get that with all bikes....same as a sportsrider in full race leathers going round the bays...oooo gonna get my knee down...pfft..

The downsides of owning one are: higher insurance premiums, takes so damn long to clean all the chrome after a ride, the high cost of accessories if you go down that track.

Upsides: fun to ride..isn't that why we own motorcycles?

Anyway just my two cents worth.....

Big Dave
6th July 2006, 14:32

And the bling of the bikes themselves.
And the way they sound.
And how comfortable they are (some are for passengers too)
And how they make you feel when riding one
And all the nice doohickeys and cool clothes - best boots ever thanks lou.
And the attitude
And the service
And quite a bit more but I can't be arsed.

The_Dover
6th July 2006, 14:34
And the fact that if you buy one Maurice will be your friend for life.

Your special friend.

I really have nothing against harlyes, or hondas. Just kawasakis.

Lou Girardin
6th July 2006, 14:44
I really have nothing against harlyes, or hondas. Just kawasakis.

Everyone hates Quackas, they're the Belgians of the bike world.

Shadows
6th July 2006, 16:51
Just like Billy Connolly's clown pants, HDs make excellent arsehole detectors.

Bonez
6th July 2006, 16:53

What standard off the shop floor model was that? And were there any bends?

Motu
6th July 2006, 17:36
The Aitcheson Topeka and Santa Fe was as fast as a single engine Harley,and I don't think it could do a U turn on an airfield.

popelli
6th July 2006, 17:50
What standard off the shop floor model was that? And were there any bends?

havn't you watched the worlds fastest indian?

I didn't notice any bends on the salt flats in the film

scumdog
6th July 2006, 17:59
Harleys are good for justifying your long repressed love of tassles.

True, true - just ask Rashika

The_Dover
6th July 2006, 18:04
shit scummy, you took your time.

You must have been out all day persecuting motorists to fill your quota.

Bonez
6th July 2006, 18:10
havn't you watched the worlds fastest indian?

I didn't notice any bends on the salt flats in the filmYou have not answered my questions................... Are you a politition?

Once again what "standard" model? And did it go around bends? You see I find trivial things like speed records irrellivent to me when purchasing a m/c.

I see you ride a Ducati. If you don't mind me asking what convinced you it was the right m/c for you?

Edit- I've had a few Bourbon and Colas, so please excuse any sarcism that appears above.

Bonez
6th July 2006, 18:44

http://www.triumphnz.co.nz/You may be correct. The Truxton certainly appeals, sort of an overweight GB. I think W650s
http://www.kawasaki.co.nz/kawasaki_custom.cfm?modelcode=EJ650-C7&do=list
offer more bang for you buck though and looks more retro than the new Bonneville ;).

An option to consider though.

SARGE
6th July 2006, 18:54

bet???

MV Agusta 910R Brutale'

thehollowmen
6th July 2006, 19:35
on a nicer note they're fun to take away for a nice sunny weekend.

A gentle long trip is good on a harley. There ain't too much maintinance to do on the long journy because of the belt drive, so clocking up a few thousand km is no problem. "Upstaging local scenery" I think should be changed to "bringing you local scenery"

I can see the appeal of them.

Bonez
6th July 2006, 19:36
went thru exactly the same delima 10 years ago choosing between a bmw and an electraglide

thank god somebody pointed out a very basic fact of life, what would the BMW be worth in 5 years time, basically not very much.

I bought the Harley & 10 years later / 70,000 miles later it is still worth close to what I paid and has for the most part been more more reliable than a bmw I had owned previously

On paper the bmw looks better, more performance and higher spec, however the depreciation costs need to be factored inThanks for the reply troll. What issues, servicability wise, have you had?

Rashika
6th July 2006, 19:59
True, true - just ask Rashika
well to a certain degree, but I tend to wear them less now that I actually HAVE a HD... odd that

thehollowmen
6th July 2006, 20:04
EDIT : Oh crap, I thought you'd quoted my reply. I'm an idiot.

scumdog
6th July 2006, 20:04
Mainly for riding.
Also touring but best of all for getting to rallies and meeting my KB mates who come from all over and ride all sorts of bikes.:2thumbsup :woohoo:

I just plumb enjoy my T-Sport!!!

"It's not the ride - it's the man astride" (or Woman)

And so far bugger-all reliability problems - one broken chain and a burnt exhaust valve in 15+ years of Harley ownership. (1st Harley was the one i had the problems with and it was ancient)

popelli
7th July 2006, 08:23
Once again what "standard" model? And did it go around bends? You see I find trivial things like speed records irrellivent to me when purchasing a m/c.

I see you ride a Ducati. If you don't mind me asking what convinced you it was the right m/c for you?

Edit- I've had a few Bourbon and Colas, so please excuse any sarcism that appears above.

standard model??? when did the last standrad model crack a outright speed record??

speed records irrellevant?? possibly so but somebody asked what harleys are good for, cracking speed records is something they have been good at in the past

but since you ask it was a twin engined shovel and it was not factory backed but backed by sleazyriders magazine, the factory did offer a lot of money to get someone to try and get an evo to go faster but nobody took them up on the offer

own a ducati, yes I do v twins are the most logical engine for a bike, narrow compact and better primary balance than a paraell twin, four cylinders are too wide have no character lack a distintive exhaust note

Lou Girardin
7th July 2006, 09:32
bet???

MV Agusta 910R Brutale'

Nah, Finn bought one and his girlfriend went back to Sweden.

SARGE
7th July 2006, 09:34
Nah, Finn bought one and his girlfriend went back to Sweden.

bonus points !!!!

thanks for the help Lou!!!

The_Dover
7th July 2006, 09:34
But he gets heaps of night time visitors from Point Erin park.

sels1
7th July 2006, 13:32
You may be correct. The Truxton certainly appeals, sort of an overweight GB.An option to consider though.

The w650 wont get you invited to R.A.T rallys though! There is one on in your town next weekend, I may be up for it - Will give you a call.
In the meantime pop down to ANZA and see what you can test ride....:scooter:

Bonez
7th July 2006, 17:17
standard model??? when did the last standrad model crack a outright speed record??

speed records irrellevant?? possibly so but somebody asked what harleys are good for, cracking speed records is something they have been good at in the past

but since you ask it was a twin engined shovel and it was not factory backed but backed by sleazyriders magazine, the factory did offer a lot of money to get someone to try and get an evo to go faster but nobody took them up on the offer

own a ducati, yes I do v twins are the most logical engine for a bike, narrow compact and better primary balance than a paraell twin, four cylinders are too wide have no character lack a distintive exhaust note
Thank you for sharing. Yes land speed records are irrellevent in the purchase of a m/c for day to day usage. 4 cylinders have a character of their own. They have a very smooth power delivery, often handle well and more often than not piss all over V-twins.

But that's only MY opinion.

Bonez
7th July 2006, 17:23
The w650 wont get you invited to R.A.T rallys though! There is one on in your town next weekend, I may be up for it - Will give you a call.
Look fwd to the visit sels. There's a bourbon and cola with your name on it in the fridge in the conservatory;).

Rashika
8th July 2006, 10:07
But that's only MY opinion.
PHEW...thank god for that! Just as well we live in a free thinking country eh? :blip:
Me for one, I dont think I could ever own/ride a 4 cylinder, just love the feel & sound of a twin.... especially a HD twin, but most of the others are pretty damn fine too.

popelli
8th July 2006, 10:16
Me for one, I dont think I could ever own/ride a 4 cylinder, just love the feel & sound of a twin.... especially a HD twin, but most of the others are pretty damn fine too.

ditto nothing on earth sounds as good as a decent v twin

Rashika
8th July 2006, 10:29
ditto nothing on earth sounds as good as a decent v twin
awesome bike you have there... was my 2nd choice on the Buell, altho perhaps relegated to third now after having tried the Aprillia Tuono. There is just too much choice of nice twins at the moment. :rockon:

Goblin
8th July 2006, 11:54
How can a four be too wide? A bike is only as wide as it's bars and fours do have character AND a distinct exhaust note/tone. I love the scream of a large four into one! I also enjoy riding with twins so I'm not dissing them at all.

Storm
8th July 2006, 12:15
Although this isnt the most original reply I'd have to say try them all, and if it feels right, get it. After all, since when have motorcycles been about cold hard reasons.:D:D

Divot
8th July 2006, 22:05

http://www.eroticaexpo.co.nz/subpages/gallery/bob_2003.html

http://www.eroticaexpo.co.nz/subpages/gallery/bob_2004.html

http://www.eroticaexpo.co.nz/subpages/gallery/bob_auck_05.html

Not a jappa insight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

98tls
8th July 2006, 23:05
Not a jappa insight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yes: riding a Harley...especially a sporty i would think that would be a fairly common occurence:doobey:

Divot
9th July 2006, 09:32
:yes: riding a Harley...especially a sporty i would think that would be a fairly common occurence:doobey:

And why? I have been able to keep up with a average rider on a sport bike.

Bonez
9th July 2006, 09:36
And why? I have been able to keep up with a average rider on a sport bike.
Saw a nice 1200 sportster up for sale on our around East Cape trip. Was the reason I started this thread. 1992 model I think it was. Any idea of the price one would puy. Done around 50,000kms I think.

Divot
9th July 2006, 09:58
Saw a nice 1200 sportster up for sale on our around East Cape trip. Was the reason I started this thread. 1992 model I think it was.

If you want a Harley then get one.

I for one don't known why there is all this hatered between motorbike owners. Lets just be on big happy family that enjoys the feel of the wind in their face and the thrill of riding on the open road.\

If I wanted to go fast every where and ride with a licence suspension allthe time and have my motorbike impounded all the time I would ride a sports bike. But as I did that when I was young and mad I now enjoy riding my HARLEY DAVIDSON.

Why?
Quantry to belife a Harley Davidson can go quite quick, it takes just a bit more skill to do it!

When I was looking around for a Motorbike three years ago I looked at the Honda Hornet and Suzukis 1200's but brought a Harley 883 Sporty.

Why?
I don't really know but I have never regreted that decission. I am now looking at buying another Harley.

Why?
I enjoy riding with firends that enjoy riding and are not pretentious. The group of people that I ride with are from all walks of life and are not all accountant and doctors. We have alot of fun and great social events.

Goblin
9th July 2006, 10:24
I used to take a lot of shit from Harley/Triumph/Ducati riders for riding a jappa but now I dont give a toss what someones riding. We are all out there enjoying ourselves and thats what its all about. These days I like to give my Harley riding mates & family a bit of stick but they all take it as it's given....in jest. Some of the big group rides I've been on, there's been more Harleys than any other brand & its a real thrill to feel the rumble of all the hogs. I enjoy carving them up and the banter at the stops too.:nya: Each to their own eh.

All the best with your choice Bonez. Im sure you will be happy with whatever you decide.

Scouse
9th July 2006, 10:45
own a ducati, yes I do v twins are the most logical engine for a bike, narrow compact and better primary balance than a paraell twin, four cylinders are too wide have no character lack a distintive exhaust noteObviously never rode a triple then Eh

inlinefour
9th July 2006, 11:19
I still cannot come up with any good uses for a H.D. Yea I can unterstand why people like them, but if I ever wanted a bike like that, Id go straight to an Indian. Ive ridden a few Harleys in the past, they just ain't for me and I am doubtfull if Id ever want a bike like that. However I like to watch that American Chopper when I can and some of the bikes that they come up with are pretty cool. But hey, I ride a Honduh, what would I know? :whocares:

98tls
9th July 2006, 13:40
And why? I have been able to keep up with a average rider on a sport bike. just having you on divot......best mate rides a sporty and we enjoy takin the piss out of each others bikes:yes:

chanceyy
9th July 2006, 13:48

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Goblin again.

blardy nice one girl .. could not have said it better muh self :rockon:

Bonez
9th July 2006, 18:40
All the best with your choice Bonez. Im sure you will be happy with whatever you decide.Cheers for that.

Troll
10th July 2006, 16:59
have read thru this thread and it would appear that the people slagging harleys off either have never owned them or have some hangup where they have to slag them off

mstriumph
10th July 2006, 17:15

http://www.triumphnz.co.nz/

.... that looks like the one i sold earlier this year :crybaby:

cousa1
12th July 2006, 14:07
just thought I would put my 2 cents in. Last year I went through the time to upgrade the bike phase. I had a Honda GB400TT now I wasn't too flush with cash for this but decided to investigate what I could get. I've been a honda guy for a while but a few trips to the states had me interested in Harley's.

V-Twins sound great so being a honda guy I looked at a VTR1000 and honda had a summer sale making it $13,000 ( I think) for a new one. What a deal I thought then I looked at the resale value and its not so good.

The local honda place sells Ducati's so my eye check out the Monsters but can't afford a new one. Second hand looks good can get a low Km's one from Japan for arround $14,000. So it looks like I'm saving for a L-Twin.

Harley drops the price of the 2006 models and a new 883 sportster is $14,100. This really grabs my attention, so I put a deposit down a new sportster, sold the honda and I've been more than happy with that choice.

Oh and use my Harley to ride to work (when the weather is ok) and I get out on the weekends and ride.

frogfeaturesFZR
12th July 2006, 14:54
Buy one to look at, buy a sportbike for fun :wait:

Bonez
12th July 2006, 17:33
just thought I would put my 2 cents in. Last year I went through the time to upgrade the bike phase. I had a Honda GB400TT now I wasn't too flush with cash for this but decided to investigate what I could get. I've been a honda guy for a while but a few trips to the states had me interested in Harley's.

V-Twins sound great so being a honda guy I looked at a VTR1000 and honda had a summer sale making it $13,000 ( I think) for a new one. What a deal I thought then I looked at the resale value and its not so good.

The local honda place sells Ducati's so my eye check out the Monsters but can't afford a new one. Second hand looks good can get a low Km's one from Japan for arround $14,000. So it looks like I'm saving for a L-Twin.

Harley drops the price of the 2006 models and a new 883 sportster is $14,100. This really grabs my attention, so I put a deposit down a new sportster, sold the honda and I've been more than happy with that choice.

Oh and use my Harley to ride to work (when the weather is ok) and I get out on the weekends and ride.
Thanks for the feedback. I generaly ride in all weather. Motocycles a my main means of transport, with the wifes car and "sank's pony" as a backup.

Spoke to an avid Harley fan at work yesterday and he reckoned the Sporty I was looking at was way overpriced and I should be able to get one similar for a much cheaper price. Seems they devalue as well but I should be able to pick one up at around two thirds the cost of the one I saw. He also mentioned that it wouldn't suit my frame-ie too tight a fit with the seat height being so low, something I haven't thought about for years.

I have a GB400 myself, as well as half a dazon other 70s/80s jappas. Like one http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4134&d=1096866019
and http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6173&d=1104743240
All, apart from one, have apperently reached a point were I can sell them fom more than I purchased them for :).

Wouldn't even consider ditching the GB after the recent East Cape trip.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=30428
It was an absolute hoot to ride on this trip as well-
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=28304
They're totally underated IMHO.

selectedgrub
12th July 2006, 18:33
Harley riders do not actually give a shit what other people ride...

The_Dover
12th July 2006, 18:42
Harley riders do not actually give a shit what other people ride...

They just appear very insecure by going around telling everyone they don't care what they ride....:innocent:

Bonez
12th July 2006, 19:29
Harley riders do not actually give a shit what other people ride...That's nice to hear. I'm sure there's other make rider who
have the same opinion. How long have you owned your FX?

Oh and troll has PMed me some good advice, which I'll take onboard, on owning one. Quite usefull and helpfull.

Jantar
12th July 2006, 20:28
A Harley was always my dream bike. Right from when I started riding in 1970, and even after the point when I rode my first Harley about 5 years later. I was impressed by the power, but found it very heavy to ride at low speed. It was only a short ride and the owner did comment on how much easier it would be on the open road.

Finally in 1988 I did get a chance to take a Fatboy from Christchurch to Picton, while the HD owner rode my GSX750. At the end of the ride I couldn't wait to hand the Harley back, and never again have I ever dreamed that one day I'll own a Harley.

Still, some people like them, and who am I to tell them that my choice of bike is any more valid than theirs. Just ride. :scooter:

scumdog
13th July 2006, 00:07
A Harley was always my dream bike. Right from when I stated riding in 1970, and even afetr the point when I rode my firsy Harley about 5 years later. I was impressed by the power, but found it very heavy to ride at low speed. It was only a short ride and the owner did comment on how much easier it woild be on the open road.

Finally in 1988 I did get a chance to take Fatboy from Christchurch to Picton, while the HD owner rode my GSX750. At the end of the ride I couldn't wait to hand the Harley back, and never again have I ever dreamed that one day I'll own a Harley.

Still, some people like them, and who am I to tell them that my choice of bike is any more valid than theirs. Just ride. :scooter:

Have a go with my T-Sport Jantar my man - it's a whole world away from a Fatboy.

And 1988 it is loong way back, even Harleys have improved since then!!!:yes:

Rashika
13th July 2006, 08:20
Buy one to look at, buy a sportbike for fun :wait:
nah, that should really say... buy a Buell for fun :blip:
Kidding Scumdog, I love the sporties too!

Lou Girardin
13th July 2006, 09:48
Finally in 1988 I did get a chance to take a Fatboy from Christchurch to Picton, while the HD owner rode my GSX750. At the end of the ride I couldn't wait to hand the Harley back, and never again have I ever dreamed that one day I'll own a Harley.

:scooter:

Why do you think they call 'em Fatboys? Probably the worst handling Harley, those things.

T.W.R
13th July 2006, 10:08
Years ago I was as close as damn it to buying one these, but got drawn to a Duke instead. But if I had the chance & could find one now & afford it I probably grab it, purely on the fact that IMHO it's one of the sexiest Hogs ever made:cool:
Don't care about the fact its almost 30yrs old & was built under the AMF quality issues, it's still classy

scumdog
13th July 2006, 10:13
Have to agree T.W.R. - just fit the XR engine and it would be tops.

Big Dave
13th July 2006, 12:53
Why do you think they call 'em Fatboys? Probably the worst handling Harley, those things.

Probably?! - without doubt.

I have carved up on FXDX several times however. Sweet handling motorcycle. and the Street Rod handles VERY well. Possibly the class leader.

You should try a new one Mr Jantar - I tested a VF1000 Honda in 1988 and it was a shit handling pig of a thing too. I don't rate all Hondas on that ride.

Motu
13th July 2006, 13:18
A simple and basic 883 Sportster with no frills would suit me down to the ground.The size,seating position,power/weight and general feel is right up my alley.I don't know if I'd need a 1200,the 883 is just fine by me.I like the handling - I like to extract the max handling out of a bike,I don't give a rat's arse at what speed that happens at all,I just like to feel a bike giving it's all....you wanna pass me on the inside,the outside or over the top,I don't care,I'll be having fun in my small world.

Jantar
13th July 2006, 14:47
Have a go with my T-Sport Jantar my man - it's a whole world away from a Fatboy.

And 1988 it is loong way back, even Harleys have improved since then!!!:yes:

Thanks SD, I'll take you up on that offer, and you can try my new V-Twin.

I know one example of a make doesn't tell you anything about other bikes under the same brand, but by the late 1980's I was pretty well conversant with most of the bikes available out of Japan, and the HD didn't come close to any of them. Today there are just so many bikes, by so many manufacturers, that I have never ridden that I can't comment on how one machine may compare to another. That's why I won't put down anyone's selection of a bike, but rather allow that as long as a rider choses a bike that is appropriate for the riding they are doing, then they will get as much enjoyment from their mount as I do from mine.

Troll
14th July 2006, 09:46
Finally in 1988 I did get a chance to take a Fatboy from Christchurch to Picton

1988??? they didn't release the fat boy untill the 1990 model year

scumdog
14th July 2006, 23:44
1988??? they didn't release the fat boy untill the 1990 model year

Kinda crossed my mind - but I thought it was just that I was old and time had gone past so quickly......

Troll
15th July 2006, 07:47
Kinda crossed my mind - but I thought it was just that I was old and time had gone past so quickly......

I am getting old and time is passing quickly

Bonez
15th July 2006, 07:57
Years ago I was as close as damn it to buying one these, but got drawn to a Duke instead. But if I had the chance & could find one now & afford it I probably grab it, purely on the fact that IMHO it's one of the sexiest Hogs ever made:cool:
Don't care about the fact its almost 30yrs old & was built under the AMF quality issues, it's still classy
Appeals to me as well. Just found an old "Twin Eagles" Mag at work last week that had an article about them. A US motobike mag, Cycle I think it was, actually made a customised version similar in looks in the early '80s, pre EVO, using XS650 Custom bits and bobs. Boy that was a sweet looking beast. That mag may still be in the shed at the olds place. I'll have a hunt through next time I'm in Havelock North.

Skyryder
25th July 2006, 19:32
I like to extract the max handling out of a bike,I don't give a rat's arse at what speed that happens at all,I just like to feel a bike giving it's all....you wanna pass me on the inside,the outside or over the top,I don't care,I'll be having fun in my small world.

Now that's a biker talking on what is what.

Skyryder

skidz
14th August 2006, 23:16
I just enjoy riding my Roadking every day, even if it's just to work. Now the bike has it's 14" apes it's a dream to ride.

buellbabe
21st August 2006, 15:06
WOW! 6 pages of advice and answers and only a handful of ya actually own Harleys...
How typical LOL!
What are Harleys good for?
ANYTHING you can think of... they are pretty indestructible and now they even have halfway decent brakes to cope with the weight! Ok so you'll still only get 100 odd horses but so what? Ride a 1440cc HD and believe me you will feel like a King on the road, its is the most awesome feeling! And don't believe what non-Harley owners say about their cornering ability, I ain't no body-builder and I can throw 1 around so whats stopping you!
They are fun fun fun. I ride a Buell now ( and ain't got plans to part with it ) but have owned 3 HDs in the past and ridden a few different models... my personal fav is the Deuce. Jeez I could rave for a long time about how great Harleys are but in the end its a personal preference...
If in doubt then test ride a few models, the only problem is deciding which one you like the most!:love:

davereid
21st August 2006, 20:17
Went for a ride the other day with some of my mates - didn't take my FZR took my HD instead. Got left behind by all the flash jap plastic on a big straight.

When I caught up, the guys were all outside the pub, a half min ahead of me.

Backed the Harley into the kerb. A chick came out of the pub, walked passed all the jappas...... "nice harley"

Harleys are like V8s... they don't need to handle or go fast...

I doesnt matter how fast yer subaru is... it'll never be a V8....

scumdog
21st August 2006, 21:40
Went for a ride the other day with some of my mates - didn't take my FZR took my HD instead. Got left behind by all the flash jap plastic on a big straight.

When I caught up, the guys were all outside the pub, a half min ahead of me.

Backed the Harley into the kerb. A chick came out of the pub, walked passed all the jappas...... "nice harley"

Harleys are like V8s... they don't need to handle or go fast...

I doesnt matter how fast yer subaru is... it'll never be a V8....

Slow, poor brakes (allegedly) ill-handling (allegedly) noisy (allegedly) but sheeit, ya just can't beat them eh?

EVERYBODY knows a Harley, - "ride a Suzuki?" ain't goin' to cut it at a party.

But ride a Harley and they ALL notice.:devil2: :wait:

Storm
21st August 2006, 22:15
But ride a Harley and they ALL notice.:devil2: :wait:

And that ladies and gentlemen, is what sells Harleys by the thousand every day

scumdog
21st August 2006, 22:53

So you'll be buying one as soon as you can?

Hot tip: a fuming '81 Sportster beats a 'busa anytime when it comes to hauling the chicks.:yes: :yeah: :first:

Timber020
21st August 2006, 23:30
Get chicks, look pretty. Convertible voltswagens have the same effect.

I have to say it, the chain drive sporties are amongst the cooler cruisers about the place. Becoming valuable stateside to.

scumdog
21st August 2006, 23:47
Get chicks, look pretty. Convertible voltswagens have the same effect.

I have to say it, the chain drive sporties are amongst the cooler cruisers about the place. Becoming valuable stateside to.

Had a '81 iron-head Sporty, top bike and had 'real' character and style, one of the bikes I really regret selling, it was a real cool scoot, stood out when I turned up at a rally. :Punk: :rockon:

buellbabe
22nd August 2006, 06:55
A simple and basic 883 Sportster with no frills would suit me down to the ground...I'll be having fun in my small world.

Too right Motu, my Sportys went off-road many times in search of that private camping spot on the shores of a lake, clearing in the bush etc... Sportys are the trail bike of the modern HD range and they have got plenty of herb too. Back in those days I used to ride Auckland to New Plymouth regularly on an 883 and then later on a 1200, sometimes my riding companion was a Ducati and the Sporty kept up no worries! :love:

Swoop
22nd August 2006, 09:00
Amazing how H-D can produce that many bikes per day! I'm impressed!

Big Dave
22nd August 2006, 18:41
Amazing how H-D can produce that many bikes per day! I'm impressed!

I'm sure Willy G will rest contented knowing that.

pinkhoggirl
22nd August 2006, 21:03
[QUOTE
What are Harleys good for?
ANYTHING you can think of... They are fun fun fun. :[/QUOTE]

I'm with you chick. :yes: I am recently the very pleased owner of my 2nd Sportster (brand spankin - also pink!) and although they may be slow (allegedly)...I am now workin out how to apply for a limited license....:angry: Damn it. Wasnt payin attention, and WHAM! $400 bucks and 50 demerits. Still - Harleys all the way I say....!

buellbabe
23rd August 2006, 07:06
SLOW? My Sportys never ate anyones dust... LOL!
And they great fun to thrash down the drag strip too!

Storm
23rd August 2006, 17:28
So you'll be buying one as soon as you can?

Hot tip: a fuming '81 Sportster beats a 'busa anytime when it comes to hauling the chicks.:yes: :yeah: :first:

If only I had the money:D:D:D It's definitly on the Lotto win list

07fatboy
25th August 2006, 16:30

picking up babes stress relief picking up more babes more stress relief and if you got anything left after that find some more babes....hehehehe:Punk: :Punk: :done:

Shadows
26th August 2006, 00:34
picking up babes stress relief picking up more babes more stress relief and if you got anything left after that find some more babes....hehehehe

Yep, sometimes picking up babes can cause a man a lot of stress!

:banana: -> :spanking: -> :slap: -> :puke: -> :doctor: -> :baby: -> :argue: -> :brick: -> :ar15:-> :drinkup:

Deano
26th August 2006, 01:00
I used to hate Harley's. The fat, hairy biker with the slutty, butt ugly mole on the back did nothing to enhance my view. (Okay - this is a generalisation, more to do with the gang type of HD rider)

Then I grew up a bit and learn't what 'tolerance' was all about.

There isn't enough tolerance in the world these days....it's all about me me me.

Each to their own.

blacksheep
26th August 2006, 11:00
:sick: sounds like image means everything to some people ,just ride your bikes and sod what anybody else thinks isn't that what its all supposed to be about,not whether when you pull up to a pub and a chick walks past all the other bikes and dribbles all over you if thats what you ride bikes for then thats fine,just don,t make us vomit in the process,my 2 cents and rant over:yes:

Qkchk
26th August 2006, 11:18

Boat Anchors and for picking up hookers.

Bonez
26th August 2006, 11:26
:sick: sounds like image means everything to some people ,just ride your bikes and sod what anybody else thinks isn't that what its all supposed to be about,not whether when you pull up to a pub and a chick walks past all the other bikes and dribbles all over you if thats what you ride bikes for then thats fine,just don,t make us vomit in the process,my 2 cents and rant over:yes: Thanks for everyone whose contributed so far. Much apprieiated. Her-in-doors workshop is finally up, just the electrical work and lining to do now. Means, hopefully, that some of her "treasures" that are in "MY" workshop will be relocated making room for more toys for me.;)

As for picking up babes, one is enough for me :innocent: Anyway her-which-runs-the-bath is bound to put the sledged hammer into my toys if
she got wind of any other girlies in my life :gob: Oh and I wont share the comments she's made about the looks of Buells I showed her, not nice at all. But what does she know, she aint no biker ah? Mind you apperently I never listen to a word she says..................

scumdog
26th August 2006, 13:58

And to privide a source of 'amusement' and trolls for 'other' brand owners - you know, the unfortunate ones that don't have a Harley....

scumdog
26th August 2006, 14:00
:sick: sounds like image means everything to some people ,just ride your bikes and sod what anybody else thinks isn't that what its all supposed to be about,not whether when you pull up to a pub and a chick walks past all the other bikes and dribbles all over you if thats what you ride bikes for then thats fine,just don,t make us vomit in the process,my 2 cents and rant over:yes:

Sounds like something a miserable old fart would say....:innocent:

Qkchk
26th August 2006, 14:15
And to privide a source of 'amusement' and trolls for 'other' brand owners - you know, the unfortunate ones that don't have a Harley....

:lol: Yep it sounds like the Suzuki owners thread all over again eh? :rofl: We ain't human if we don't take the piss out of each others preferences, are we?

Big Dave
26th August 2006, 15:06
I like the harley image - but that's just an accessory - the bikes are about satisfaction.

It's like how much more fulfilling it is to drive around in a mint old school V8 muscle car than a quad turbo rice box. I know what one I get out of feeling better.

It's an intangible enjoyment factor that has nada to do with power or speed.
It's a great motor. BECAUSE it's lower powered it's more fullfing to ride quickly than cruising along at 1/2 throttle on a sprotsbike. Nailing a debaffled 1450 out of a corner and just listening to it is one of the highlights of motorcycling.

As far as performance - well I'm not the fastest - but good enough to do what I do - and I've been towelled in the tight and loose going by blokes on well sorted 21" front wheel sportsters - so I don't buy the 'they don't go' bit either.

daz da fax jack.

blacksheep
26th August 2006, 15:07
Sounds like something a miserable old fart would say....:innocent:

`speaking from experience:zzzz:

blacksheep
26th August 2006, 15:14
:sherlock: read my profile then?

scumdog
26th August 2006, 19:21
:sherlock: read my profile then?

Gotcha!!!:yes:

doc
26th August 2006, 20:14
If I had to explain you wouldn't understand. Go and dress up in your "court jester" outfit with the fancy colours humps on the back and lumps on the knees. You think we look like idiots. We are fighting to get the beast round the corner almost as fast as the sign indicates you can take it comfortably, and still getting a thrill but when we make a mistake the speed doesn't hurt as much . Plus we don't need rehydration packs any pub will do. Anyone on two wheels is ok at least we have a choice not like we can only get Urals. Its the people in the cages we should be against not each other because of our choices...BRONZ is the gang we should all be prospecting for. Fuck all you wankers I'm off to Destiny Church at least the boss there gets what he wants thats the gang for me.

Motu
26th August 2006, 20:48
Nailing a debaffled 1450 out of a corner and just listening to it is one of the highlights of motorcycling.

My old worn out,low powered and very bad handling '71 XS1 did this better than any bike I've ever owned - coming hard out of a 2nd gear corner on the pegs with,um...debaffled? pipes is just one of the best things I've done on a motorcycle.Those who can't get this much out of so little haven't really ''got it'' yet.....I kinda wonder why they ride at all.

Big Dave
26th August 2006, 21:30
''got it'' yet.....I kinda wonder why they ride at all.

I remember talking to a muso mate way back when, and i was surprised that he didn't like Supertramp when they were at their zenith.
'Too perfect' he claimed.
Lots of people liked them however.

deep huh.

(Take the long way home is one of the great motorcycle songs)

Rashika
27th August 2006, 19:48

Shit, I musta failed then...haven't managed to pick up a boat or a hooker yet!

Have got a whole lotta blokes tho :rockon:

buellbabe
28th August 2006, 07:04
Motu & Big Dave... totally diggin' what yr saying... Hell yeah that feeling of having a Beast beneath ya is one of the reasons I will always LOVE Harleys... My Buell is on another level but its still got the HEART of a Harley (somewhat modified... LOL!) and she ROARS!

Swoop
28th August 2006, 09:16

All this talk of "boat anchors"...

HOW do you get the bike onto the foredeck???:scratch:
...and how do you winch it back up when you want to move to another fishing spot???:scratch:

07fatboy
29th August 2006, 02:19
All this talk of "boat anchors"...

HOW do you get the bike onto the foredeck???:scratch:
...and how do you winch it back up when you want to move to another fishing spot???:scratch:

LOL....thats funny...I actually ride my Harley because i like to ride...not because of an image thing or to pick up the babes,i ride my harley because its a criuser not a rocket.Thats what the v-rod is for if i wanna go fast, as I've gotten older i have learnt to appreciate the ride and enjoy it alot more in groups of 2 or 3 ... A twincam 88cube in standard form has plenty of grunt to pull away at the lights ,which is where you need it most ,enuff power to bring any 1 unstuck not to mention speeding tickets my 2 cents:done: :Punk: :scooter:

buellbabe
29th August 2006, 06:56
LOL....thats funny...I actually ride my Harley because i like to ride...not because of an image thing or to pick up the babesr:
Exactamondo... Harleys Rock!

Swoop
29th August 2006, 09:27
LOL....thats funny...I actually ride my Harley because i like to ride...not because of an image thing or to pick up the babes,i ride my harley because its a criuser not a rocket.
Good on ya mate! It dosen't matter what you ride, so long as you are out and enjoying the roads!:yes:
:scooter: :scooter:

skidz
7th September 2006, 10:18
The Road King is an every day bike for me. The missus takes the cage to work and I get to ride in the sun, rain, hail or snow. Days off, I just get on my bike and ride.

savage rider
21st September 2006, 03:30
i use it to go everywhere and do everything i can on
thats why i bought it :banana:

buellbabe
21st September 2006, 07:04
Onya mate! Those 883s WILL go anywhere and do anything...:2thumbsup

Bonez
21st September 2006, 20:14
Onya mate! Those 883s WILL go anywhere and do anything...:2thumbsupWhat's the fuel range?

scumdog
21st September 2006, 20:21
What's the fuel range?

200km+ with the small tank if ridden with fuel economy in mind.

Bonez
21st September 2006, 20:57
200km+ with the small tank if ridden with fuel economy in mind.Cheers SD 10 Ch

crusa
21st September 2006, 22:03
I use my Harley to cruise in the weekends,and on days off.The wife and i take the bike to work almost everyday and the best part of coming home is taking the long way back and unwinding through country roads.

Shadows
22nd September 2006, 00:51
200km+ with the small tank if ridden with fuel economy in mind.

I'm getting 230km before reaching reserve on the little tank, pretty much irrespective of whether the bike is getting thrashed or not.

Bonez
22nd September 2006, 05:27
I'm getting 230km before reaching reserve on the little tank, pretty much irrespective of whether the bike is getting thrashed or not.Not bad at all. I was led to beleive the range was more in the 160-180km bracket before top ups with the peanut tank.

JimBob
22nd September 2006, 06:53
I'm getting 230km before reaching reserve on the little tank, pretty much irrespective of whether the bike is getting thrashed or not.

Impressive milage. How many liters to fill it after you hit 230km?

buellbabe
22nd September 2006, 06:58
I had a '92 883 with a peanut tank. I toured the country on it making good use of the trip meter and planning the petrol stops on a map! The only time I f**ked up was going up the West Coast, I didn't fill at Greymouth cos I figured there would be a pump at Punakaiki...DOH! Nursed it all the way to Westport, and just managed to limp into town! If you ride hard you will get ALOT LESS kms out of a tank!
Oh yeah, and my reserve was 40kms...

scumdog
22nd September 2006, 07:44

Can't remember but the last time I filled-up from almost empty was about $22 (but that was a year or so ago) BTW my 1200 Sporty will do just on 60mpg if ridden normally and one-up.

Metric types will have to figure it out for themselves.

Shadows
22nd September 2006, 09:18

About 12, I think reserve holds another 2 on top of that.

cousa1
22nd September 2006, 10:05

I filled mine from bone dry the other day cost me $18

Midnight Special
30th April 2007, 00:12
I have my first harley after many jap bikes still love my XV 750 but always admired the sound of a harley so just thought gotta have one before im dead and what im enjoying most apart from rideing it is all you can do to make it look the way you want it to bling bling and ching ching but its awsome dont regret it at all i love polishing the chrome and i dont care who likes or dosent like it all my rideing freinds are on jap bikes and we dont have any harley V jap isues or whos bike is faster bla bla bla maybe because we are girls and just like bikes ? ALL BIKES :Punk:

idb
30th April 2007, 00:22
I have my first harley after many jap bikes still love my XV 750 but always admired the sound of a harley so just thought gotta have one before im dead and what im enjoying most apart from rideing it is all you can do to make it look the way you want it to bling bling and ching ching but its awsome dont regret it at all i love polishing the chrome and i dont care who likes or dosent like it all my rideing freinds are on jap bikes and we dont have any harley V jap isues or whos bike is faster bla bla bla maybe because we are girls and just like bikes ? ALL BIKES :Punk:

Pah...chrome...!!!!
Carbon fibre is the real bling!!!

scumdog
30th April 2007, 09:14
Pah...chrome...!!!!
Carbon fibre is the real bling!!!

Ah, but where d'you buy Autosol for carbon fibre, huh? huh?

Nonbeliever
30th April 2007, 10:20
Fuck all you wankers I'm off to Destiny Church at least the boss there gets what he wants thats the gang for me.

Next you'll tell me that Taito phillip Field rides a Harley too?

doc
30th April 2007, 16:05
Next you'll tell me that Taito phillip Field rides a Harley too?
Yeah but it would be a "big block" tho and only have accessories off the 'Wall of chrome" nothing original of course.

Edbear
30th April 2007, 18:31
Harleys? If you want one and can afford one, buy one.

Now there you go! Bein' logical again!:yes:

I'm with Hitcher on this! I considered a Sporty but I had to think practical and bought the C50T, which I love and is about perzackly what we want. However, if I reach the point where I can afford to be impractical, a Harley is high on my list. There's just something about the overpriced, agricultural, impractical machines and I want one...:shutup:

jonbuoy
30th April 2007, 19:54
I always think of them as the equivelant of a big old American V8 muscle car - all about the sound and look and cruising along empty roads. I like the look of the new special editions they bring out - a bit less chrome & bling and a bit more purpose, seen some done up as cafe racer's too - they look super cool.

Hitcher
30th April 2007, 20:06
Harleys are neither "agricultural" or "impractical". These comments are generally made by people who have never ridden one. If you're "man" enough take one for a ride. And be prepared to be surprised.

Big Dave
30th April 2007, 20:32
I love it when these conversations read like my tests. :love:

Edbear
30th April 2007, 20:35
Harleys are neither "agricultural" or "impractical". These comments are generally made by people who have never ridden one. If you're "man" enough take one for a ride. And be prepared to be surprised.

PS. (Said he, tongue in cheek!)

You're right, I've never ridden one, but would love to! (I think I'm man enough...:sunny:

After my weekend in company with three Harley's - re: my thread, "Harley v. Suzuki, I do believe the C50T is the better bike overall, but I also repeat, there's something about Harley's... Mind you, I also like the later Victory's, too! I'd be very willing to be shown differently if anyone has a late Sporty or Dyna T-Sport I could try out...:innocent:

peasea
1st May 2007, 11:38
"If you need to ask the question, you wouldn't understand the answer"; it's an age-old line that fits so many things but HD's especially. I've always liked American cars, big, soft, lazy etc. Ideal for touring. You don't go rally driving in 59 Caddy's and you shouldn't try touring four-up in a Mazda 121.

So many people buy big old classic cars and say "just because I wanted one" and many onsell after getting it out of their system and not being able to maintain it themselves. Others go on to buy more and get bitten by the bug real bad.

I bought a Harley just because I always wanted one, I maintain it myself, I shop around for parts and I keep it legal. What's it good for? Everything I've ever asked of it, it tours exceptionally well but I'd never go to the MX track with it. You should probably ask what it is you want from a motorcycle before taking the plunge and when it comes to riding comparisons I'd say any bike shop in the land will let you road test whatever you'd like to try.

MSTRS
1st May 2007, 12:24
...any bike shop in the land will let you road test whatever you'd like to try.

Eh. Wrong. Shop in Napier won't even let you sit on the stock. Strangely, most buyers of Bear machines go to Palmy....

Big Dave
1st May 2007, 13:01
Eh. Wrong. Shop in Napier won't even let you sit on the stock. Strangely, most buyers of Bear machines go to Palmy....

That's also because Eddie works there. He da man.

NordieBoy
1st May 2007, 14:06
You don't go rally driving in 59 Caddy's and you shouldn't try touring four-up in a Mazda 121.

And you don't take a Citroen 2CV on the Dakar...

peasea
2nd May 2007, 11:27
And you don't take a Citroen 2CV on the Dakar...

Be fun to try though. I can see one now all loaded up, spare wheels on the roof, gas cans strapped to its bum, onions everywhere, baguettes poking out the windows, yee har. Get Disney involved and do a re-hash of 'Herbie'......

"Francios` Rides Again"

scumdog
2nd May 2007, 12:23
Be fun to try though. I can see one now all loaded up, spare wheels on the roof, gas cans strapped to its bum, onions everywhere, baguettes poking out the windows, yee har. Get Disney involved and do a re-hash of 'Herbie'......

"Francios` Rides Again"

Don't laugh, I have (somewhere) an old Popular Mechanics from the 50's when two guys went from the USA down through South America in a 2CV - roads were rough to non-existant but they got there.

buellbabe
2nd May 2007, 12:40
...hahaha that reminded me of a story in one of my HOG Club mags about a middle-aged american couple that were riding their HD around the world. Can't remember the model...think it was an Ultra. Anyways some of the pics of them taking it through the Congo in Africa were incredible. They were not deterred by ANYthing... and we are talking bridges that were basically 2 telegraph poles roped together... At one point their drive belt broke and they stapled it together and continued riding.
:niceone:

peasea
2nd May 2007, 15:00
Don't laugh, I have (somewhere) an old Popular Mechanics from the 50's when two guys went from the USA down through South America in a 2CV - roads were rough to non-existant but they got there.

Are you moonlighting as a Citroen salesman?

NordieBoy
2nd May 2007, 16:36

"Francios` Rides Again"

Ummm...
From the 2007 Dakar entry list...

MARQUES GEORGES RIBAS CYRIL CITROEN FRA MEHARI 2CV CLUB CASSIS

FkNAmerican
3rd May 2007, 08:14
ah crap.....so I see HD's are even in NZ!!! I see them all the time here in the states. Everybody and thier brother has one over here. BORING!!!

They are well suited to the kind of big mile highway cruising you have to do to get anywhere at all here in the US but who would have thought they would have a following in such a small place as NZ.......pretty cool I suppose.

You know here in the states there are a few prerequisite's to HD ownership:

1. You must have a beer gut
2. You must be at least 38 years old
3. You must have served a minimum of 2 years prison time
4. You must have at least 4 tatoo's, one of them being an eagle.
5. Your girl, whom you cant have actually married, must have fake boobs, a fake tan, fake blonde hair, and at least one face lift operation
6. You must own at least two firearms, one of which should be a shotgun, sawed off and double barrelled of course.
7. Your other ride must be a truck, no toyota shite.....Ford F-350 "super duty" is the one. Either that or your Harley should be the only thing you got in the world besides your girl and a bunch of children you've left behind in your wake.
8. You must smoke....cigars.....and on occasion eat them.
9. You must be no more then 17 years older then your firstborn child and that firstborn must not be the natural child of your current woman whom you are not married to. Your firstborn should also be estranged and living somewhere in Oregon so you cant be bothered to find them.
10. You must have lived in Florida for no less then 15% of your current lifespan.
11. You should have no idea how to locate New Zealand or Australia on a map and you should not be aware that Africa is a continent rather then a country.
12. You should be a Republican but have no real idea why.......You should know that Bush is president but have no idea who the vice president is. Your sole reason for voting for Bush? You saw a picture of him ounce, looked it in the eye, and just KNEW you could trust the man.

scumdog
3rd May 2007, 09:22
Hmmm, not much of a Harley rider by the above criteria!

I AM older than 38 and can make something that looks like a beer-gut, got a gun or two (no sawn-off though) AND I own a 1955 F100 pick-up truck- is all that enough??:wait:

buellbabe
3rd May 2007, 10:22
oh scummie YOU definately qualify!
:yes: :niceone:

peasea
3rd May 2007, 20:09
Hmmm, not much of a Harley rider by the above criteria!

I AM older than 38 and can make something that looks like a beer-gut, got a gun or two (no sawn-off though) AND I own a 1955 F100 pick-up truck- is all that enough??:wait:

Yeah, go shoot Dennis Hopper in the side of the head and grab a burger while you're at it.

Not pregnant are you?

peasea
3rd May 2007, 20:11
ah crap.....so I see HD's are even in NZ!!! I see them all the time here in the states. Everybody and thier brother has one over here. BORING!!!

They are well suited to the kind of big mile highway cruising you have to do to get anywhere at all here in the US but who would have thought they would have a following in such a small place as NZ.......pretty cool I suppose.

1. You must have a beer gut
2. You must be at least 38 years old
3. You must have served a minimum of 2 years prison time
4. You must have at least 4 tatoo's, one of them being an eagle.
5. Your girl, whom you cant have actually married, must have fake boobs, a fake tan, fake blonde hair, and at least one face lift operation
6. You must own at least two firearms, one of which should be a shotgun, sawed off and double barrelled of course.
7. Your other ride must be a truck, no toyota shite.....Ford F-350 "super duty" is the one. Either that or your Harley should be the only thing you got in the world besides your girl and a bunch of children you've left behind in your wake.
8. You must smoke....cigars.....and on occasion eat them.
9. You must be no more then 17 years older then your firstborn child and that firstborn must not be the natural child of your current woman whom you are not married to. Your firstborn should also be estranged and living somewhere in Oregon so you cant be bothered to find them.
10. You must have lived in Florida for no less then 15% of your current lifespan.
11. You should have no idea how to locate New Zealand or Australia on a map and you should not be aware that Africa is a continent rather then a country.
12. You should be a Republican but have no real idea why.......You should know that Bush is president but have no idea who the vice president is. Your sole reason for voting for Bush? You saw a picture of him ounce, looked it in the eye, and just KNEW you could trust the man.

Two questions:
1) Who are you?
2) Why don't you fuck off?

Delete (1), I don't care.

The Pastor
3rd May 2007, 20:28
Two questions:
1) Who are you?
2) Why don't you fuck off?

Delete (1), I don't care.

+1, show that yankey where he can go:innocent: :second: :Punk: :whocares:

oldrider
3rd May 2007, 20:53
Since the end of the second world war, I have been hearing about a creature called an "Ugly American"!

I have never personally come across one in all that time.

I think you just may have completed my education. :yes:

Harley Davidson motorcycles give a lot of people around the world, a lot of pleasure and satisfaction.

Not my first choice of bike but I think Harley Davidson has made a great contribution to world motorcycling and that "world", is my first choice! :first: John.

peasea
3rd May 2007, 21:51
Since the end of the second world war, I have been hearing about a creature called an "Ugly American"!

I have never personally come across one in all that time.

I think you just may have completed my education. :yes:

Harley Davidson motorcycles give a lot of people around the world, a lot of pleasure and satisfaction.

Not my first choice of bike but I think Harley Davidson has made a great contribution to world motorcycling and that "world", is my first choice! :first: John.

Bravo. Ride what ya wanna ride.
(Yankee queer, that one....)

Midnight Special
3rd May 2007, 23:05
Hmm i was born in Florida i am over 38 i have got a few guns i guess ill have to work on the rest if im to ride my Harley !

peasea
3rd May 2007, 23:37
Hmm i was born in Florida i am over 38 i have got a few guns i guess ill have to work on the rest if im to ride my Harley !

You don't have to work on jack shit other than pushing the 'start' button.

Rashika
4th May 2007, 09:32

Really? Never found mine boring by ANY stretch of the imagaination...

1. You must have a beer gut Dont think so? :shutup:
2. You must be at least 38 years old Guilty...just
3. You must have served a minimum of 2 years prison timenot telling
4. You must have at least 4 tatoo's, one of them being an eagle.CLOSE but no eagle, does a dagger count?
5. Your girl, whom you cant have actually married, must have fake boobs, a fake tan, fake blonde hair, and at least one face lift operation Hang on a minute I'll just go ask him...
6. You must own at least two firearms, one of which should be a shotgun, sawed off and double barrelled of course.Does a Staffy count?
7. Your other ride must be a truck, no toyota shite.....Ford F-350 "super duty" is the one. Either that or your Harley should be the only thing you got in the world besides your girl and a bunch of children you've left behind in your wake. ahhhh nope
8. You must smoke....cigars.....and on occasion eat them. not lately
9. You must be no more then 17 years older then your firstborn child and that firstborn must not be the natural child of your current woman whom you are not married to. Your firstborn should also be estranged and living somewhere in Oregon so you cant be bothered to find them. fkd if I know...oh wait, I'd probably notice a sprog popping out huh?...maybe not...
10. You must have lived in Florida for no less then 15% of your current lifespan. Does a few months in NYC count? I mean its pretty wild there at times :yes:
11. You should have no idea how to locate New Zealand or Australia on a map and you should not be aware that Africa is a continent rather then a country. I do have trouble locating Aus at times, isn't it that west Island place? :shutup:
12. You should be a Republican but have no real idea why.......You should know that Bush is president but have no idea who the vice president is. Your sole reason for voting for Bush? You saw a picture of him ounce, looked it in the eye, and just KNEW you could trust the man. Whats a republican? :zzzz:

Biggles2000
5th May 2007, 22:29
I think that the non-Harley riding bikers protest too much. Its either ignorance, they are feeling left out or its tall poppy syndrome.

I can't explain but things are definitely different on a Harley. The Motor Company has been building bikes for over 100 years, lots of history here and they are not techno road razors. The HD customers don't want pocket rockets, I wouldn't know what to do with one. The modern big block V2 Harley is a motorcycle based on a model that the Motor Works built in 1932. Personally when I pull in the clutch and my booted foot selects first gear I know exactly where I am and why I love Harley's.

I went on a charity ride today and about half the bikes on the run were Harley's, this almost says it all. I believe that Harley owners don't care what other brand owners think, for them a Harley is the perfect bike. (Almost) nobody trades in a Harley for a Yamaha.

Finally, new Harley's are cool, old Harley's are super cool. I have never seen some one with a "I love my Kawasaki" tattoo. If I did I would probably wet the floor.

Biggles2000
5th May 2007, 22:34
I didn't answer the question. Mostly as a sanity tool (recreational vehicle), I would like to ride every day but there are too many nutters on the road.

Rashika
6th May 2007, 18:30
I think that the non-Harley riding bikers protest too much. Its either ignorance, they are feeling left out or its tall poppy syndrome.
yup indeed...

I went on a charity ride today and about half the bikes on the run were Harley's, this almost says it all.

was good run eh? :yes: sun, road, and afternoon tea of yummy choc cake...not to mention watching the fun as the kids were taken for rides :scooter:

Bonez
6th May 2007, 20:13
Nobody trades in a Harley for a Yamaha.

http://motorcycles.about.com/library/userreviews/ucrevbikes455.htm

Hell owners even want to trade them in for boats
http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/bar/317226066.html

Biggles2000
6th May 2007, 23:06
Well almost nobody.

It was a neat day, one out of the bag so to speak. The kids were just fizzing with excitement. I missed out on coffee and cake, too busy taking kids for rides, by the time I stopped all the kai was gone.

scumdog
7th May 2007, 18:30
http://motorcycles.about.com/library/userreviews/ucrevbikes455.htm

Hell owners even want to trade them in for boats
http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/bar/317226066.html

Hmm, glad to see SOMEBODY bit!!

Bonez
8th May 2007, 16:43
Hmm, glad to see SOMEBODY bit!!
Just bringing a bit of balance to the thread I started.
Has the sporty been sold yet SD?

rudolph
9th May 2007, 18:21
you all wish you had harleys

peasea
11th May 2007, 23:53
You're all a bunch of sad old folks sometimes.

I said earlier (possibly elsewhere) that I use my bike for touring, which is true, but I also use it for work. Tuesday May 8, I rode from the North Shore to Taupo, did a photo shoot, came back through Morrinsville, clocked 560k's and was home in time for tea. In fact I cooked that night. I get sick and tired of hearing about what HD's are used for; they are best for touring and that's that. Two-up, loaded up and looking at hills they shine. On a Motorcross track they suck. It's all about application. I apply my FXR to the task and it's brilliant. If I wanted a sports bike I would have to admit to have made a bad decision. A sports bike isn't what I wanted/still dont want. My FXR has its shortcomings but so do I.

I wish the best of things in life to sports bike riders but that isn't my scene. Many sports bike riders can ride better than me, I don't care. I'll just keep left and let them go.

You're on two wheels and you've made your choice; the bike, the rider, the road.

Application is the key word.

grogan
13th May 2007, 23:21

I can't explain but things are definitely different on a Harley. The Motor Company has been building bikes for over 100 years, lots of history here and they are not techno road razors. The HD customers don't want pocket rockets, I wouldn't know what to do with one. The modern big block V2 Harley is a motorcycle based on a model that the Motor Works built in 1932. Personally when I pull in the clutch and my booted foot selects first gear I know exactly where I am and why I love Harley's.

I went on a charity ride today and about half the bikes on the run were Harley's, this almost says it all. I believe that Harley owners don't care what other brand owners think, for them a Harley is the perfect bike. (Almost) nobody trades in a Harley for a Yamaha.

Finally, new Harley's are cool, old Harley's are super cool. I have never seen some one with a "I love my Kawasaki" tattoo. If I did I would probably wet the floor.
Agreed - if we have to explain, you Rice Burners wouldn't understand...

ZeroIndex
13th May 2007, 23:30
Carver uses his for binning practice... he just tries to corner, and then bins it... it's really funny

ZeroIndex
13th May 2007, 23:32
Agreed - if we have to explain, you Rice Burners wouldn't understand...

That's only because any explanation to defend Harley's would completely defy logic

ZeroIndex
13th May 2007, 23:33

100 years? That definitely is a long time, with an interesting heritage... my only question is, after 100 years, shouldn't they have made a decent bike?

NotaGoth
13th May 2007, 23:38
100 years? That definitely is a long time, with an interesting heritage... my only question is, after 100 years, shouldn't they have made a decent bike?

They do make decent bikes.. But each person has their own opinion as to what a "decent" bike is.. Obviously its not your kind of taste..:zzzz:

Sidewinder
13th May 2007, 23:48

I have a tattoo of carvers name on my hart and one of his face on my ass beside the one of a harley

NighthawkNZ
14th May 2007, 07:15

Going for a ride I suppose... :scratch:

Doesn't matter what you ride... just enjoy it. whether it a Jappa, HD, Italian or Korean... just enjoy the ride cause thats why we ride them right...

Hitcher
14th May 2007, 13:29
I have a tattoo of carvers name on my hart and one of his face on my ass beside the one of a harley

Why would you tattoo Carver's face on your donkey?

Midnight Special
14th May 2007, 14:38
hmm yamaha -harley i just took the XV for a ride and it was luxury rideing after the harley yammy wins for comfort speed and the harley wins for uphill grunt and looks and sound for me anyway . i like em both !

Bruiser
14th May 2007, 15:05
That's only because any explanation to defend Harley's would completely defy logic

Who is defending?

What we are attempting is to E X P L A I N why we ride Harleys. To a moron like you that is an absolute exercise in futility because you Sir are an idiot.

Take your trolls elsewhere.

Sidewinder
14th May 2007, 16:45
Why would you tattoo Carver's face on your donkey?

GO HERE AND FIND OUT WHY CLICK HERE (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/photopost/showgallery.php?date=1179045974)

peasea
14th May 2007, 17:28
Who is defending?

What we are attempting is to E X P L A I N why we ride Harleys. To a moron like you that is an absolute exercise in futility because you Sir are an idiot.

Take your trolls elsewhere.

I'm actually looking forward to more from Sidewinder; I doubt that any of the posts will be informative or helpful but they're sure to be entertaining, check out his avatar; two boys tonguing each other, what's that about?

Look Sidewinder, you can search this site from top to bottom and nowhere have I ever bagged a sports bike, be it Japanese, American, Brit or Euro. I respect the choice that others make and can (to a degree) understand why people choose to ride them. Show a little maturity would you?

Now, tell me, why are you riding a 250cc bike? Do you choose to or is it that you have just started riding. If it's the former, that's your choice, if it's the latter, take care out there and be especially vigilant with your rear view mirrors.

MidnightMike
14th May 2007, 17:51
Harleys are uselful for.....

hmmmm......

Well actually....

Nope.

Nothing.

peasea
14th May 2007, 17:54
Harleys are uselful for.....

hmmmm......

Well actually....

Nope.

Nothing.

OMG, another one...........

MidnightMike
14th May 2007, 17:54
How about a poser cup holder! :shit:

Shadows
14th May 2007, 18:15
Funny how the most vocal "opponents" are on 250s isn't it.

Virago
14th May 2007, 18:24
Pissy little sprotbikes are uselful for.....

hmmmm......

Well actually....

Nope.

Nothing.
There, that's better.........

peasea
14th May 2007, 19:12
Funny how the most vocal "opponents" are on 250s isn't it.

Yeah, I noticed that. Small everything by the sounds of it.

MidnightMike
14th May 2007, 19:27
Im just winding you up, its down to personal opinion.

Sure i have only gone pillion on a harley, havent ridden one. I have a fair idea of what cruisers are like, used to have one, not my thing. :done:

FkNAmerican
17th May 2007, 15:28
wow, some of you cant take a joke!!!

peasea
17th May 2007, 19:57
wow, some of you cant take a joke!!!

How's this for a joke?

Kawasaki 250's suck, loud mouthed Yanks suck, your leader sucks, your sense of humour sucks and the only good thing to come out of the US I actually sit my arse on. Then I fart...........

How fuckin' funny is that?

NordieBoy
17th May 2007, 21:17
How fuckin' funny is that?
Have you got your full licence yet?

Rashika
18th May 2007, 05:18

one would expect, given the FXR in the profile (nice by the way mate!) :yes:

that aint no jappa 150 FXR in case ya were thinking NB :shutup:

Funny what life cycle some threads go through...been going almost a year now this one, recycled again...

peasea
18th May 2007, 06:49

Certainly have and I'm using it to head to your town soon. (And I ain't leavin')

peasea
18th May 2007, 06:50
(nice by the way mate!)

Cheers....

buellbabe
18th May 2007, 06:59
he he he... just checked it out...and it IS nice... My old bad-ass biker flatmate had an FXR, top-handling bike.
And for those that splutter and say "but but its a Harley and they can't handle..." I'll say it again...ya just gotta have balls/attitude.:Punk: :yes:

NordieBoy
18th May 2007, 09:39
Certainly have and I'm using it to head to your town soon. (And I ain't leavin')

Cool, bringing the bike? Some good riding around here.

NordieBoy
18th May 2007, 09:44
And for those that splutter and say "but but its a Harley and they can't handle..." I'll say it again...ya just gotta have balls/attitude.:Punk: :yes:

They've been raced successfully where they don't belong (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=393552&postcount=8) several times :D

NordieBoy
18th May 2007, 09:51
one would expect, given the FXR in the profile (nice by the way mate!) :yes:

that aint no jappa 150 FXR in case ya were thinking NB :shutup:

Profiles? :o

Crisis management
18th May 2007, 10:07
Profiles? :o

Idiot, come back to the adventure bike threads where you belong.

Sorry folks, he sometimes slips out unnoticed, we'll keep him tied up from now on......

FkNAmerican
18th May 2007, 16:03
hehehe peasea....actually I find your post to be very amusing. You and your loud mouth would do very well in America.

Biggles2000
19th May 2007, 18:19
If you have to ask don't because its rude to ask the same stupid question over and over again. You will probably never understand, that is not for another 10 years or so. Quite frankly I ride a Harley, have done my time on the road and don't care what you think.

I used to ride a 250 road bike but if was a few decades ago and several hundred thousand miles. I've seen many mates from the old (250) days sell their rides when partners and family's came along, seen many of them return to biking as the kids or some times the wives left home, seen a few not make it and go in the ground as well.

There is always a loud mouth who just wants to be a w@nker and spoil the fun of others. In the biker world they always get a reputation, their riding mates leave them out, or just seem to forget to invite them. These folk don't realise and drift away from biking, buy a Toyota and well problem solved. Does this sound familiar?

I belong to the biggest motor cycle club in the world, world wise it's about the size of Auckland. We don't care what you think we are out riding having fun. nuf said.

98tls
19th May 2007, 18:27
If you have to ask don't because its rude to ask the same stupid question over and over again. You will probably never understand, that is not for another 10 years or so. Quite frankly I ride a Harley, have done my time on the road and don't care what you think.

I used to ride a 250 road bike but if was a few decades ago and several hundred thousand miles. I've seen many mates from the old (250) days sell their rides when partners and family's came along, seen many of them return to biking as the kids or some times the wives left home, seen a few not make it and go in the ground as well.

There is always a loud mouth who just wants to be a w@nker and spoil the fun of others. In the biker world they always get a reputation, their riding mates leave them out, or just seem to forget to invite them. These folk don't realise and drift away from biking, buy a Toyota and well problem solved. Does this sound familiar?

I belong to the biggest motor cycle club in the world, world wise it's about the size of Auckland. We don't care what you think we are out riding having fun. nuf said. As are we all........or so i would like to think.Enjoy it........end of the day it doesnt matter a fuck what the bike is its the rider that matters.

Edbear
19th May 2007, 19:39
(nice by the way mate!)

Yeah, a nice lookin' bike alright. I'll keep an eye out for you when I'm in town, I work up there most weeks. Was born in Ww, the town's never quite been the same since...:yes:

peasea
19th May 2007, 20:15
hehehe peasea....actually I find your post to be very amusing. You and your loud mouth would do very well in America.

Glad you took it as a joke. I actually have enjoyed the company of pretty much every American I've ever met. You people seem to have more manners than some I could mention.

Good on ya.

peasea
19th May 2007, 20:17
Yeah, a nice lookin' bike alright. I'll keep an eye out for you when I'm in town, I work up there most weeks. Was born in Ww, the town's never quite been the same since...:yes:

We actually live on the Shore but we're heading to Riverhead for a shoot tomorrow (Sunday 20th) and will no doubt end up at the tavern about 3-3.30.

Bike's dirty but......

peasea
21st May 2007, 12:54
Cool, bringing the bike? Some good riding around here.

Hell yeah, the roads and the scenery are why we're moving. My lady's Sporty might get replaced by a big block at about that time, she finds the long hauls a bit hard on the nether regions, but touring the Mainland is our long term plan, wanna cover every square inch then retire in Richmond or thereabouts.

peasea
21st May 2007, 12:56
he he he... just checked it out...and it IS nice... My old bad-ass biker flatmate had an FXR, top-handling bike.

Progressive suspension helps........

buellbabe
21st May 2007, 13:05
ha ha yeah yr not wrong there...
And HDs are a great way to see the country. My sporties went off road heaps to get to some pretty unique camping spots... Wouldn't catch me doing the same thing on the Buell!

Shadows
21st May 2007, 14:39
ha ha yeah yr not wrong there...
My sporties went off road heaps to get to some pretty unique camping spots...

Chain drive, were they?

buellbabe
21st May 2007, 14:43
First was but the next 2 were belt...looking back I reckon I was lucky I never did a belt considering the places those bikes went!

peasea
21st May 2007, 17:47
First was but the next 2 were belt...looking back I reckon I was lucky I never did a belt considering the places those bikes went!

Too right, we had to throw a belt on my mate's Wideglide over the w/e of the HOG nat's and that got creamed on SH1!!!!