PDA

View Full Version : KB ads

justsomeguy
5th July 2006, 21:59
Hi guys,

Just read this post by Wasp.

Mabye some day KB will go as far as making its own biker awareness ads? (i know i'd donate time and cash for it) we could even enter the Fair Go Ad Awards!

I know there are a fair few of us around and we have enough talent here to come up with a set of posters.

So what if we create these posters using donations from members - don't have to be fancy - just simple - but graphic in their depiction - so it gets people's attention. Then we can simply photocopy/mass produce them.

Then all of us can go out one afternoon or over a couple of weekends with a few hundred posters into the city and start distributing them around and sticking them up around the city.

All we need are about 20 or so of us in every major city here.

I'm sure Big Dave can get some of his media contacts and Buggy or some other limelight loving person can be our spokesperson if we get on the news or something.

What do you say??

I am quite serious about this idea - so please keep this thread respectable.

Thank you

JSG

Could be an idea, like little A5 fliers or something.

justsomeguy
5th July 2006, 22:02
Could be an idea, like little A5 fliers or something.

Yup exactly like that - with some simple educational content, that will make cagers think about bikes on the road. Currently the road code and our media do a piss poor job of telling cagers bout us.

crashe
5th July 2006, 22:03
I believe that you have to get council permission to go around and stick up flyers up on lamp posts and building walls.

So I would be ringing up council's first to find out if this is true...
Cos flyers only seem to be in certain areas.

justsomeguy
5th July 2006, 22:11
I believe that you have to get council permission to go around and stick up flyers up on lamp posts and building walls.

So I would be ringing up council's first to find out if this is true...
Cos flyers only seem to be in certain areas.

I know what you're saying. There are several places with posters displayed around the city and in general areas around Auckland. We could simply go stick them there.

Or anywhere for that matter. Their purpose it to raise awareness. We don't even need to mention KB.

Somehow I feel asking the bureacrats for permission will only cause trouble.

I wasn't thinking posters, more like a direct drop of putting them under car windscreen wipers.

MadDuck
5th July 2006, 22:20
We could include on these ads some pictures of the wheelies sessions at Taupo trackdays...

I am sure if licence plates are obscured LB, WT, CP, Death and others would be ok about it

cowpoos
5th July 2006, 22:25
Buggy or some other limelight loving person can be our spokesperson if we get on the news or something.

What do you say??

I'll take that job thanks rambo!!!

Big Dave
5th July 2006, 22:28
I think the direction needs to come from Spankme.

frogfeaturesFZR
6th July 2006, 08:48
Bloody good idea. We need to be a bit more pro -active.

Wasp
6th July 2006, 09:02
Yeap, also another idea I had last night (dont expect anymore for awhile now..) is an email version of the "poster".

But your right BD, spankme needs to comment but as said we could just leave kb out of this (or mabye just in some of the "sponser" pics at the bottom of the page)

Squeak the Rat
6th July 2006, 09:04
Just on the posters, there are one or two companies that "control" the poster distribution in Auck and Wellington. Kind of like the mafia.

If you go and stick posters up in areas where they do, your's will be torn down or posted over.......

BTW - I don't think wheelies are the thing to put on biker awareness adverts. We all think they are cool but it confirms to the general public that we are a bunch of menaces who ride outside the law so therefore should have no rights......

Show the inside of a helmet filled with brains.......

[Edit:] Guy holding cellphone in one hand, helmet in the other. His stopped car is behind him, door open, motorcycle lying on the ground. He appears to be looking for the rider, looks down and the helmet is full of mushed brains.....

Quartida
6th July 2006, 10:52
I think the direction needs to come from Spankme.

If we don't mention KB, it should be OK, shouldn't it?

I have to agree about the "bill posting" - you do have to get permission. But an under-the-windscreen-wiper drop, and those sort of things, sounds to me like a bloody brilliant idea.:rockon:

Macktheknife
6th July 2006, 11:25
Somehow I feel asking the bureacrats for permission will only cause trouble.
It is always easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission! (it's true)
I have nothing better to do so I could probably help to distribute some.

XP@
6th July 2006, 23:19
Still rubbiush, but interesting meduim:
A few years ago i was a student in Paris. At the same time there was a general transport strike. After getting carbonmonoxide poisoning from cycling to uni and being somewhat of an activist I came up with an idea.

I got some friends to help me with some text explaining to the stupid french cagers that "if you are stuck in gridlock for hours on end having your engine running and honking your horn is not going to help you, so please turn off your engine whilst you are peeling this sticker off your windscreen"

We all had roller skates or blades and could use them. We all evaded capture by the cops, just. Sometimes the drivers put up chase, but not too often, they were more worried about a dayglo green sticker on their windscreen, that was not designed to be removed from glass.

The effect was amazing, it really worked! Silence... a shout then nothing apart from a faint scraping sound.

Wasp
7th July 2006, 08:41
Brilliant and Mischievious idea XP@ - I like it!

Colapop
7th July 2006, 09:13
A sticker type thing is good to get noticed but this is more about creating a positive public attitude isn't it? Using terms like "Biker" or other bike related terms has to be thought through carefully. Public education is as much about directing the public thought as it is about information.

Zukin
7th July 2006, 09:16
Hi
I do like the concept, but after all as others have said they need to be sensible, but straight to the points ideas.
They in no way can show motorcyclists as irresponsilbe (even on the track doing wheelies).
And use the word motorcyclist, as then the encompasses all bikes.

Here are a few phrases I just made up, of course they can be as graphic as they need be

Here are the phrases

Do you believe in Ghosts?
Neither to we, so dont kill us by not looking for us.
Or we will come back and haunt you for the rest of your life!!

Do you love your family?
So do we, so dont orphan our kids, by killing us because you were too lazy to look for us!

Do you like sex?
So do we, so dont become another wanker by pulling out in front of us at intersections!

Do you like to use a mirror when you are at home and ready to go out for the night?
Well use them on your car! In your car a mirror will save our lives, at home they just make you feel better.
What would rather have?

Do you want to be a movie star?
Well then start by looking at our lights, they are not there for show.

What is your favourtite colour?
Not for long if you dont take the time to look for us in traffic, becuase after you kill us, your life will be very dark.

Do you like using panelbeaters?
Well at least you can, our panelbeaters are doctors, surgeons and hospitals, and its really hard for us to buy good second hand parts
So look for us on the road!

Swoop
7th July 2006, 09:39
Whatever happened to the "look out for motorbikes" stickers? Did ACC produce those?

If we each had a hundred of those and stuck one to the back of a cages, the public would see them while stuck in traffic, and the cage owners would think "which bastard stuck this on my car" as he/she is farting about removing the sticker...:blip:

Squeak the Rat
7th July 2006, 09:54
I was having a coffee in the vicinity of a bunch of bikers recently, one turned up with a fluro vest and the "Look Out for Bikers" message on the back.

Good idea - gets the message around. :niceone:

I couldn't help thinking though that to read the message you must have seen him already......

XP@
7th July 2006, 10:22
I dpn't know about the legality, but I have seen the footpath stensils used a fair bit around wellington cbd.

something like a motorbike pic with a message "thank you for looking out for bikes"

The ACC "look out for bikes" were great, except they are totally water soluble. we had 2 on the back of the cage, now they are just a white splodge. Need something for inside the window or printed on plastic.

Big Dave
7th July 2006, 11:44
Yeap, also another idea I had last night (dont expect anymore for awhile now..) is an email version of the "poster".

But your right BD, spankme needs to comment but as said we could just leave kb out of this (or mabye just in some of the "sponser" pics at the bottom of the page)

I wrongly interpreted to mean they were going to be KB branded.
Don't really embrace the idea myself - either way.

Squeak the Rat
7th July 2006, 11:49
Buy a cheap van, put a hole in the side and stick the arse end of a bike out of it. Make a dent where the helmet would have hit and a bit of blood and drive around the city.......

Observe the reactions of fellow motorists......

Colapop
7th July 2006, 11:54
Frosty has been talking about getting a website built for trackdays. His biggest thing is;

K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid. Great ideas are great but they're better when they're not complicated. Straight to the point, effective.

Squeak the Rat
7th July 2006, 11:56
Oh. Is this thread for real..... :innocent:

MadDuck
7th July 2006, 21:12
I wrongly interpreted to mean they were going to be KB branded.
Don't really embrace the idea myself - either way.

Im with the big guy...sorry Dave I know you will take it in good humour. KB as I understand it is getting out there on rides with no affliations and having a good time.

Getting KB branded in this way brings a whole new concept as to why most of us are here. Unless I am mistaken we like to ride, share our thoughts (bikes), passions(bikes), attitudes (bikes), likes (bikes)and dislikes (harleys = sorry WT)....and sometimes lack of them.... and mostly we dont want to be associated with one particular club or association.

We all turn up and support the organisations we want to thanks to the communications we have on here...but its a choice thing.