PDA

View Full Version : Repacking cans?????

98tls
6th July 2006, 18:58
any one done it,mine are getting well noisy,i guess its just drill out rivets and remove...any hints or things to watch out for.

frogfeaturesFZR
7th July 2006, 08:39
rivets:yes: Repacked my can on my FZR, as you said just drill out the rivets and repack the fibreglass. Only takes 1/2 hour and is easier if you leave the can attached to the bike

Cajun
7th July 2006, 09:47
another question, where best place to get the fibreglass from?

frogfeaturesFZR
7th July 2006, 11:06
Most bike shops can get it in for you, I have heard you can use Batts, have'nt tried it however:yes:

VasalineWarrior
7th July 2006, 11:17
Bats worked in the dirtbike for a bit, but can melt/blow out with extended use. Unless you plan on doing it every other week, go to a shop and get the proper stuff.
Or just leave them out all together. Loud pipe has saved my neck in traffic a few times

Ixion
7th July 2006, 11:54
Pink Batts work for me. Thats on two strokes , but, cos you need the back pressure. Dunno why anyone would bother to repack a 4 stroke, just makes it quiet.

Pixie
11th July 2006, 14:00
Use ceramic fibre from Western Pottery supplies ph 09 815 1513

Cajun
11th July 2006, 14:26
i am looking at doing this shortly i wanna pull apart those yoshi, replace the pot rivits and bands, and repack it.

loosebruce
12th July 2006, 11:33
Re: To 2 Brothers Cans

Check the RH can for excessive wear on the flanges that hold the baffle tube in, the twins gives them a beating and it's not un common for them to break and the baffle tube to rattle around.

When packing you get great results and good noise out of the 2 bro cans by this:

Buy some steel wool (hardware stores) wrap a layer of steel wool round and round the baffle tube, then wrap insulation tape around the wool to hold it in place, pack it real tightly, then wrap the fibre glass packing over that and again tape it up real good with insul tape, pack that shit real tight. You almost cover the whole baffle tube with insul tape!

You may even want to drill out and go to a bigger stronger rivet on the inlet end of the muffler, the smaller ones can wear easier and the can gets damaged over time, you should only need to drill out inlet end of the can only.

2 Bro's packing glass is rounghly $70 a side from memory could be cheaper, Welly M/Cycles carry it in stock,. there is prolly a cheaper alternitive out there.

Go the TLS :rockon:

98tls
12th July 2006, 11:41
cheers for that loosebruce...will do,you have save me a bit of work anyway as i would have drilled out the rivets at the end if you hadnt have posted up,guess they just hold the end caps in eh.surprised i can use insulation tape as i thought it would melt,i was going to use tie wire but tape sounds easier,thanks again.Andy bowell who races pretty succesfully has a bike shop here..i gave him a call and he reckons he can get me some good stuff for about $30 a side.

loosebruce
12th July 2006, 11:58
No worries mate, yea i used insul tape and it cooks after a while but still holds in on there, a few other race guys i know do the same and like you said it's heaps easier.
Yea you just need to take one end cap off the baffle tube just sits in the flanges on the end caps so it's not bolted in, in anyway.
$30 a side sounds a go, with the 2 bros stuff you're prolly paying for the name, cant be that different.
if you find it a bit hard to slide the baffle tube once it's repacked back into the sleeve you can get away with using a bit of sliicon spray to help things along, just leave it a while before you fire it up, it might catch fire once it heats up (i may know this from experiance lol), if it does just cover the outlet of the muffler and the flames go out when it runs out of oxygen, all good haha.
I mean you could leave the mufflers on the bike even and just drill the outlet end caps off but i find it's best to do the inlet end and check the flanges for wear at the same time.

buellbabe
12th July 2006, 12:08
its so easy to do even I could do it... my muffler has been repacked twice, first time with the fairdinkum Vance&Hines packing and the 2nd time with some ordinary any old bike packing (from AMPS)...no worries...

98tls
12th July 2006, 12:11
Out of interest any difference sound wise between the good stuff and the other?

buellbabe
12th July 2006, 12:21
with the Buell I think the V&H packing muffled the sound more so I actually prefer the cheaper stuff!

loosebruce
12th July 2006, 12:58

With most bikes the only differnce in noise is down to how you pack them, i doubt there'd be any differnce in using the 2 bros fibre glass to the no name stuff, you'll notice a bit more bottom end and mid range punch with the tight packing, it wont be horribly loud but will sound real nice.
Best sounding cans on a TL is the Arrow carbons IMO.