PDA

View Full Version : Z200 starter probs

lb99
8th July 2006, 10:11
The starter clutch lets go under load, you know the noise, crunch/rattle wirrrrrrrrr crunch......
It works ok without the plug in, and when the bike is hot and does'nt need so much effort to start, Its on a bike that has only recently been started after 13 yrs, I'm gonna pull it apart and have a look, any one have any tips on what to look for, or experience in this area?

bogan
4th November 2015, 17:02
The starter clutch lets go under load, you know the noise, crunch/rattle wirrrrrrrrr crunch......
It works ok without the plug in, and when the bike is hot and does'nt need so much effort to start, Its on a bike that has only recently been started after 13 yrs, I'm gonna pull it apart and have a look, any one have any tips on what to look for, or experience in this area?

It sounds like the sprag clutch has let go. Is the oil getting a bit old perhaps?

AllanB
4th November 2015, 18:17
13 years. I wonder if a engine flush would f the wet clutch? Anyone know?

Man I remember those rides - younger brother had a new one. Nice starter bike.

Drew
4th November 2015, 18:22
The starter clutch will have fucked springs on one or more of the rollers. They're simple as fuck, go get yer hands dirty.

Gremlin
4th November 2015, 18:25
I wonder if it's been started since 2006 :facepalm:

bogan
7th November 2015, 15:44
Well I figured if it took him thirteen to start it, advice after another nine might be just the ticket...

Drew
7th November 2015, 16:25
13 years. I wonder if a engine flush would f the wet clutch? Anyone know?

Man I remember those rides - younger brother had a new one. Nice starter bike.
I'm just curious after reading this post, how many people realise a starter clutch is nothing like a drive clutch?

Most of the time, it's simply a one way bearing. Google it if ya don't know what that is.