PDA

View Full Version : New Exhaust Laws

FROSTY
7th July 2006, 23:47
Hey folks I just received this official notification about exhaust noise.
Its a real heads up
Noisy Exhausts

Dear Sir

Objective noise tests for will be introduced on 19th July.

Stage one:

These tests

Will be required when there is doubt as to the noise level of a vehicles exhaust system.
Apply only to light vehicles including:
Motor cycles, Cars, MPV's, 4WD's, Vans, Utes, and Light trucks
The test will only be used only at entry certification or by the police in on-road enforcement.

Land Transport NZ has now contracted the Low Volume Vehicle Technical Association (LVVTA) to provide testing as required at various sites around the country. Costs for these tests and associated certification are still to be confirmed.

Click here for a list of approved testers.

Stage two:

Requires a law change planned for later in 2006; may be introduced in 2007.
Will include testing as required at WoF and CoF inspections.

If you wish to unsubscribe from further e-mail campaigns please click here

onearmedbandit
8th July 2006, 00:25
Um, there goes my yoshi...

Motu
8th July 2006, 09:58
It won't be an issue at this stage - it's only when it vehicle is VINed,or if a cop stops a noisy vehicle.I guess if you ride making enough noise for a cop to stop you on a noise issue,then good ridance,we don't want you anyway.

SARGE
8th July 2006, 10:02
Hey folks I just received this official notification about exhaust noise.
Its a real heads up
Noisy Exhausts

Dear Sir

Objective noise tests for will be introduced on 19th July.

i see a court challenge as to OBJECTIVE

sAsLEX
8th July 2006, 10:06

I see it more on the "requires a law change" which they are sorting out later on!

cowpoos
8th July 2006, 10:08
I see false certification certs becoming a good bussiness.....

sAsLEX
8th July 2006, 10:14
The test will only be used only at entry certification or by the police in on-road enforcement.

So are they just issuing a type of green sticker arrangement for sound now?

TwoSeven
8th July 2006, 11:51
Dont suppose you could actually post what the new noise limit will be and how it is to be measured please.

For myself I already use the UK method, half a metre behind and to the side 45 deg (it may have changed) and 80db(A). But if its subjective, then I'll take the bike across the other side of the road and make sure its not inside a building (as many WOFs are done here).

Maybe they should require a BSI or CE mark to indicate the can is certified (for bikes). That would help people choose the right equipment.

But, I am one of those people that think there should be noise limits on race bikes as well. 105db(A) at 0.5m at 3/4 revs is often used as a good standard. Was at the dirt (mud) racing the other day and was suffering ear ache from some person running a modded exhaust and they were half way up a hill nearly a click away.

N4CR
8th July 2006, 14:32
Further to what speedie said I have a stock zxr250 pipe if anyone needs it in the future temporarily. Where I get my wofs from they just look at the bike and go yep okay. Hahahaha I mean a proper check :innocent: *cough*

imdying
8th July 2006, 17:06
Meh, I kept the stock pipes when I replaced mine. I'll swap em if I have too, but I doubt I will.

Sparky Bills
8th July 2006, 17:46
Load of crap. Just another way to make money:yawn:

Gremlin
8th July 2006, 18:01
This pipe will be a gixxer pipe and will require you to buy a gixxer first.
bah... you're probably the only one with an intact gixxer... won't be much demand :nya:

Here I was wanting to upgrade my pipe sometime to something nicer... guess with mine perhaps being borderline, I guess I can't :crybaby: At least my bike is older, so never had the same sort of restrictions, as I understand the zx7r was a loud bike to begin with :blip:

What annoys me is the complete lack of a factual basis to work from, as I would be interested in seeing how mine goes with the laws... yet the stupid idea is completely up to how much the cop dislikes your attitude.

WINJA
8th July 2006, 18:31
Um, there goes my yoshi...
REMEMBER MY POST ABOUT TRYING TO GET THAT STANDARD MID PIPE 2 MONTHS AGO , I KNEW THIS WAS ALL COMING AND IVE SAID FOR ALONG TIME THAT THOSE WHO DIDNT GET A STOCK EXHAUST WITH THEIR BIKE ARE GONNA BE IN TROUBLE , HOPE YOU GOT A STOCK EXHAUST FOR YOURS FROM HEADERS TO MUFFLER

onearmedbandit
8th July 2006, 18:56
Stock exhaust all the way through to the can mate, and there are always mint factory cans on ebay for fark all. I have seriously considered getting a stock can before this, as the yoshi attracts a lot of attention, mostly unwanted. With that and the changes coming our way I think I'll go ahead and get one now.

scumdog
8th July 2006, 23:37
REMEMBER MY POST ABOUT TRYING TO GET THAT STANDARD MID PIPE 2 MONTHS AGO , I KNEW THIS WAS ALL COMING AND IVE SAID FOR ALONG TIME THAT THOSE WHO DIDNT GET A STOCK EXHAUST WITH THEIR BIKE ARE GONNA BE IN TROUBLE , HOPE YOU GOT A STOCK EXHAUST FOR YOURS FROM HEADERS TO MUFFLER

Luckily for me I have a couple of Harleys and as everybody knows, they don't need mufflers...:wait:

jahrasti
9th July 2006, 17:24
what if you have a stock exhaust that is loud(ducati 851)? do I park it up and dream when i used to be able to ride it.

Da Bird
10th July 2006, 02:00
For those interested in the certification process of loud exhausts, you can find all the info here:
http://www.lvvta.org.nz/Noise%20Emissions%20Std030706.pdf

For those of you not overly interested in reading (there are 19 pages), for bikes over 125cc, you have a 100dBA noise limit. This is tested at anywhere between 2500rpm to 6000rpm, depending on your engine. (Car limit is 95dBA)

BC.

Back Fire
10th July 2006, 03:04
well my DR is screwed now...

thehollowmen
10th July 2006, 07:21
For those interested in the certification process of loud exhausts, you can find all the info here:
http://www.lvvta.org.nz/Noise%20Emissions%20Std030706.pdf

MWAHAHAHHAHA my motorcycle isn't listed

Devil
11th July 2006, 11:33
Luckily for me I have a couple of Harleys and as everybody knows, they don't need mufflers...:wait:
No no, you're fine because it said "light vehicles". :innocent:

Speaking of that. Why cant they start on heavy vehicles too (not neccesarily the same levels, of course). The racket that many of the busses make around down is ear-splitting.