PDA

View Full Version : How the hek you guys are making right turns in this part of the world?

Street Gerbil
8th July 2006, 19:54
Ok, guys, let me explain my predicament. Let's say I am trying to make a right turn. How would I make a left turn in USA? I would enter the turning pocket, slow down, stop and wait for an opening in the oncoming traffic. How is that different from using turning pockets in Auckland, you might ask. The answer is (beep!) slippery paint. Oh and the pockets are much shorter. So when I am preparing to enter the pocket, my reflexes scream to kill some of the speed BEFORE I enter the (beep!) skating rink in the middle of the road. This however causes (beep!) cager behind me to express his inability to observe the 2 second rule with annoying honking.
I am obviously not understanding something fundamental here. Help me out. What am I missing?

Jantar
8th July 2006, 20:11
You are not missing anything. Its the honker in cage behind you who doesn't understand.

Falconer
8th July 2006, 20:55
Going south on Portmouth drive and turn right into Shore St. Before the turn right there is a gentle left but that is over those white hatch markings. It is a case of catching up with traction between each white mark. It is just metres from a 60 zone so cagers are catching up quick and I know they have no traction.:whocares:

Filterer
8th July 2006, 23:06
....It is a case of catching up with traction between each white mark.....:whocares:

yip dun that in the wet down a hill a couple of times coming into a turning bay, grip,skid,grip,skid now its brake,no brake,brake,no brake etc just dont go faster then you feel safe just to please some wanker behind you

Lou Girardin
10th July 2006, 16:58
Try moving onto the flush median well before your turn, Then you won't have this last minute panic.

vtec
10th July 2006, 17:39
Yeah, you are allowed to go onto the white median strip to brush off speed separate from the traffic before hitting the turning pocket. I've noticed a lot of asian drivers will wait till after the median strip finishes to go into the pocket. But they slow right down in traffic and then move into the pocket at the last possible chance, thus, unnecessarily holding up traffic. I find this incompetence annoying. You are right the white lines are slippery, but just take it easy and you won't lose traction. And if you do, you shouldn't fall off, cause they are intermittent.

Sometimes however, instead of median strip there is traffic islands, obviously you can't move onto the traffic island to brush off speed, so you just have to slow down when you feel comfortable. I personally have no problems slowing down from legal speeds in very short distances, even in the rain. I've learnt to race on the circuit in extremely poor conditions, that's the best way to learn how to brake fast in the wet, and how to recover lost traction.

notme
23rd July 2006, 11:47
.............I've noticed a lot of asian drivers will wait till after the median strip finishes to go into the pocket. But they slow right down in traffic and then move into the pocket at the last possible chance, thus, unnecessarily holding up traffic. ............

Out this way (east aucks) I see that a LOT - and the thing is, they don't seem to look before moving into the pocket.....i think they might assume that no one else has moved into it before the end of the flush median either. I am very aware now when coming down the flush median with cars on my left that they are liekly to swerve into the pocket at any second.....:nono: