PDA

View Full Version : You want to see old pics do ya - here's some from 1976

merv
9th July 2006, 12:13
We were on XL175's and TS185's in those days.

The third pics gives away what we were doing - did the round trip from Napier to Waikaremoana through to Murupara and we came home via Taupo December 1976.

My XL is the one with the tent poles strapped to the bars and the white helmet on the mirror in the pic at Murupara.

merv
9th July 2006, 12:21
Then in January 1977 did one of our many trips on the beach out to Cape Kidnappers.

I never had a very flash camera in those days - just a Kodak Instamatic and I took slides and am still busy scanning them all.

Its always fun leaving marks on the sand.

Kickaha
9th July 2006, 12:35
did the round trip from Napier to Waikaremoana through to Murupara and we came home via Taupo December 1976.

Same road but November 1988, I didn't realise the road was unsealed until after I left Wairoa :lol:

hmmmmmm that bridge looks familiar

merv
9th July 2006, 12:38
Pretty good trail bike you had there. Road was still unsealed two years ago being the last time I went through there - bit more seal than in '76 though.

JimO
9th July 2006, 12:40
my first bike was a ts 185 and i know a old guy with a mint 175 honda but he wont part with it:blip:

merv
9th July 2006, 14:01
My XL175 was one of the first a '73 model. I kept it until 2000 but eventually parted with it when garage space got tight - was still going OK and I'd kept it regoed and WOF'd so rode it to the new owner. If I'd kept it any longer I felt it would have needed a major engine rebuild as it had lost its edge.

twinkle
9th July 2006, 14:39
Same road but November 1988, I didn't realise the road was unsealed until after I left Wairoa :lol:

I went through there in summer on the gn. looked like there was some flood damage to the low lying parts of the road (Wairoa end) and sections of the bitumen had been ripped up. Gravel most of the way still anyway, hope they never seal it.
Nice ride, loved it :yes:

Maha
9th July 2006, 17:28
I have done some contract work at Ruatahuna, that was late 80's early 90's.
I was told (even back then) that if the van broke down or i got a puncture, dont stop, legend has it, that the rope heads come out of nowhere and help themselves to whatever they want......:doobey:
Nice pic's Merv.....

merv
9th July 2006, 19:53
Here's another pic of the XL but this is when it was newer in September 1974.

Blackbird
10th July 2006, 07:48
We were on XL175's and TS185's in those days.

The third pics gives away what we were doing - did the round trip from Napier to Waikaremoana through to Murupara and we came home via Taupo December 1976.

My XL is the one with the tent poles strapped to the bars and the white helmet on the mirror in the pic at Murupara.

How long since you've been in Murupara Merv? I went through there for a ride in May and it's not the sort of place that encourages you to stop. People just hanging about looking for a bit of mischief to get into and half the shops boarded up.

James Deuce
10th July 2006, 07:54

hmmmmmm that bridge looks familiar

HEY! Kickaha! How the hell is that BMW standing up?

Thanks for the photos Merv.

vifferman
10th July 2006, 08:15
Interesting pics, Merv.
Made me feel a bit nostalgic and kinda sad though. :(
Them were good ole bad ole days....

I never did get to ride an XL175, even though it was a bike I lusted after. Rode an XL100, XL125 (years later), an XL350 (in 1977), and although I wanted to buy an XL250, I couldn't get one, so bought an MT250 instead in 1976 or thereabouts.

Dadpole
10th July 2006, 09:33
God help me. I am old too. I rode most of those things when they were new.

Just to fuel your nostalgia:
My brother has a '76 TS185, a SL125, 2 x '77-'78 XL350s and 2 x XL175s (1 orange tank & 1 later red tank models. He is always on the lookout for parts, so please let me know if you hear of any.

ogr1
10th July 2006, 10:04
Feck me! Rossi's dad is alive and well :shutup:

Kickaha
10th July 2006, 16:28
Pretty good trail bike you had there. Road was still unsealed two years ago being the last time I went through there - bit more seal than in '76 though.

It was quite a good shingle road bike, I loved the ride through there, one day I'll be back

HEY! Kickaha! How the hell is that BMW standing up?

Been to the optometrist lately? can't you see the sidestand? :yes:

I got hit by a van just over a month later and the BMW was written off

merv
10th July 2006, 16:58
How long since you've been in Murupara Merv?

Almost a couple of years now and it doesn't look quite as flash as it did in '76.