PDA

View Full Version : Total loss CDi ignition for bucket?

Expert
9th July 2006, 17:25
Has anyone had any experience of running a cdi system on total loss? As far as i am aware cdi systems need around 100 volts from the generator to work so 12 volts from the battery would seem to be not enough or does someone know a way around this? 12-100 volt inverter maybe?

Warr
9th July 2006, 17:39
More information needed.
On any bike with a battery the CDI works off that 12v battery.
On smaller/ other bikes that dont need a battery then they use a different unit.
What bike are you refering to ?

Kickaha
9th July 2006, 17:41
Has anyone had any experience of running a cdi system on total loss? As far as i am aware cdi systems need around 100 volts from the generator to work so 12 volts from the battery would seem to be not enough or does someone know a way around this? 12-100 volt inverter maybe?

Mine works fine with just a battery (GN125) and no charging system

why do you want to run total loss?

Expert
9th July 2006, 17:56
The motor is an xt125 and as far as i can tell the cdi takes it's power from that small coil(not the pulse coil) behind the flywheel and thats making about 100 volts ac. The charging side of the system is a bigger coil next to the small coil and that goes off to the regulator/rectifier unit and unplugging that unit so isolating the charging from the ighintion makes no difference to the motor. I want to skim down the flywheel to remove all that rotating mass and that will involve removing the magnets so i want to run total loss.