PDA

View Full Version : Clutching VS. Power wheelies: Chain wear

Motoracer
9th July 2006, 21:15
I've been practicing wheelies lately whenever I have gotten the chance to do so. The progress is good so far.

It's obviously a LOT of fun and I'm loving it. Only down side so far is that my chain is pretty Fu**ed. But that was to be expected I guess. All part of the game.

However, I just wanted to leech off info from some expierienced wheelie experts on their know how of wheather or not power wheelies wear out the chain quicker than clutching up wheelies. Someone said to me the other day that yes, power wheelies do wear them out quicker. It just sounds a bit odd to me though. I would have thought the sudden pull of the clutch snapping would have been harsher on the chain than a rappid throttle opening action.

Your thoughts and experiences would be much appreciated.

texmo
9th July 2006, 21:29
Just posting here to say nice picture, who is it?

Motoracer
9th July 2006, 21:32
Just posting here to say nice picture, who is it?

Hello young grass hopper... It's just a painting that caught my eye. Go into my profile pic for a full size image.

texmo
9th July 2006, 21:41
taste mmm cool painting old sensei.

avgas
9th July 2006, 21:44
from my previous experinece, any form of clutchin (wheelies or burnouts) fucs the chain real quick.
I've never had increased wear out of power wheelies. But i seem to fuck chains relatively well......on another note - if doing lots of burnouts, chain bar lube is the only way to go

2much
10th July 2006, 08:19
I've done both power and clutch wheelies and haven't noticed any difference, admittedly I fitted a scottoiler which nearly eliminated any chain wear.

It doesn't matter anyway. Power wheelies are for squids, if you want to do them properly then 'clutch it up'.

kiwifruit
10th July 2006, 08:31
It doesn't matter anyway. Power wheelies are for squids, if you want to do them properly then 'clutch it up'.

:cry: :cry:

Ive had no (extra) chain wear doing power wheelies
im far to chicken to clutch it up, it seems so hash mechanicly too

**R1**
10th July 2006, 09:08
I power wheelie my bike everywhere, and its still on the original chain and sprokets after 24k, with no sign of needing replacing anytime soon, keep it oiled and they last for ages.....

Not that it matters, its a small price to pay for the fun aye??

cowpoos
10th July 2006, 09:10
Power wheelies are for squids,

yeah but they take more skill to do on a 600... not as easy as grabbing a fist full of throttle like on a thou...

sAsLEX
10th July 2006, 09:15
I've done both power and clutch wheelies and haven't noticed any difference, admittedly I fitted a scottoiler which nearly eliminated any chain wear.

but does it make a mess? Some I have heard removed there scottoilers as they made a mess, jsut trying to remember who it was on the naki ride as they offered me one for free!

beyond
10th July 2006, 15:53
but does it make a mess? Some I have heard removed there scottoilers as they made a mess, jsut trying to remember who it was on the naki ride as they offered me one for free!

Can be messy if you turn them up too high. The you can also get some oil build up on the rim that dribbles around the edge of the tyre with some suprosing cornering results. :)

Have mine turned down to under quarter flow and get good chain wear and only a little crap on the rear rim. Being a white rim doesn't help of course.

Quasievil
10th July 2006, 15:56
I usually get it up on clutch, once Im about 90 deg I usually just use the throttle a bit to make the micro adjustments. No wear on the chain or on the bike cause at the time its in the garage and im fast asleep.

2much
10th July 2006, 16:41
yeah but they take more skill to do on a 600... not as easy as grabbing a fist full of throttle like on a thou...

Yep fair enough, but it takes even more skill to clutch a bike up straight to BP. I don't see why you would want to waste your time with power wheelies (especially on a 600) if you're able to clutch them. Clutching gives better consistancy, more accuracy better control and lower bike speed.

When I first installed it left spatters on the rim and tail piece, so I just wound the flow done until it stopped. Now no more mess and nearly no more chain wear.

onearmedbandit
10th July 2006, 16:50
I power up, mainly because of my clutch lever arrangement and can get them up from about 25km/h. I have no problem with accuracy, control, or consistancy.

**R1**
10th July 2006, 18:25
I power up, mainly because I have no problem with accuracy, control, or consistancy.we still talking bout wheelies?

onearmedbandit
10th July 2006, 18:33
Wheelies?? Ahhh shit. Actually, it'll work for that too!

Kornholio
10th July 2006, 18:38
Now no more mess and nearly no more chain wear.
Chain wear would be '0' at the moment wouldnt it buddy.... Scott-oiler going cheap?

GIXser
10th July 2006, 20:50
ok , not to steal ya thread MT, but here's a question for you "experienced one ups"..... i can get it up no worries"" (stopped laughing yet).... but when im up, the fuckin thing drifts like hell" so im guessing.. im sitting to far to one side etc, i try pushing the pegs etc, and ...na...nothing... any pointers here folks...it can drift left or right,, anything i should concentrate on??? its obvious i am doing something wrong.. but what..???

GIXser
10th July 2006, 20:50
ok , not to steal ya thread MT, but here's a question for you "experienced one ups"..... i can get it up no worries"" (stopped laughing yet).... but when im up, the fuckin thing drifts like hell" so im guessing.. im sitting to far to one side etc, i try pushing the pegs etc, and ...na...nothing... any pointers here folks...it can drift left or right,, anything i should concentrate on??? its obvious i am doing something wrong.. but what..???

dss3
10th July 2006, 21:09
Use the handle bars to steer, even though the wheel is in the air the forces of the wheel spinning mean that turning the bars will still steer the bike to a degree... can help a bit...

Quasievil
10th July 2006, 21:12
even though the wheel is in the air and the rider, and the rear wheel, well the whole fucken thing really:wait:

onearmedbandit
10th July 2006, 21:31

Shift your body weight, lead with your shoulders. At least that's what I do to counter it, although I must say it's only when the camber of the road changes or it's windy. Or just wanting to turn the bike around slight corners. Putting weight on the pegs, as you've found, does 5/8ths of fuck all.

dss3 is quite right as well, but only has a slight effect, diminshed as the rotation of the wheel slows, and if you're keeping it up for 1000m or so the front slows down significantly.

The_Dover
10th July 2006, 21:32

lose some weight fatty, it's your belly oscillating.

Motoracer
10th July 2006, 21:37
Not that it matters, its a small price to pay for the fun aye??

Damn straight!

Cheers for sharing the info guys.

Loosebruce being the smart cu*t that he is, made a very good point as we were having lunch. I have a light weight 520 racing chain and most of you road riders on big bikes have atleast a 525 or a 530 chain on your bikes. So I will already have some durability issues there...

Putting weight on the pegs, as you've found, does 5/8ths of fuck all.

Don't know about motorbikes but for pushbikes it works a treat. That's how I do circle wheelies (along with the rest of the body weight shifting as well as moving the bars at the same time) and then switch the direction of the circle from one to other..

onearmedbandit
10th July 2006, 21:41
Just my experience with my 74kg weight on a 190ish kg (wet) bike balancing on the back at race track speeds. Probably for slow turning wheelies on a sportsbike it does make a difference.

2much
10th July 2006, 21:46
As OAB said, the front wheels good as long as it's spinning, then move you body weight around. The slower you're going the more the bike will respond. So if you've got a corner coming up pull it back past BP and use the rear brake to slow it down first, then you'll find it easier to pull the bike around it.

Also (for sit-downs) try to pull your weight up as high as possible as it tends to steady the bike and you'll then have more effect when hanging off the side.

loosebruce
11th July 2006, 17:06
By using off the throttle technique in 2nd gear like you do sudeep the chain snatch is quite high, i'd say higher than a quick slip of the clutch, out right power wheelies wont bother the chain too much, it's just a practice thing mainly, in time you will get smoother at bringing the front up.

With drifting off, simple if you drift to the left shift your body weight to the right but steer left, getting all crossed up n stylie, just straighten shit up before you land it aye.

GIXser
11th July 2006, 18:53
With drifting off, simple if you drift to the left shift your body weight to the right but steer left, getting all crossed up n stylie, just straighten shit up before you land it aye.

thanks for the tips fellas, interesting you mention landing it right, had a beauty the other day, i thought it was gonna land on its crash bungs, thats how far sideways it went--well not really ...but close

The_Dover
11th July 2006, 19:13
had a beauty the other day, i thought it was gonna land on its crash bungs, thats how far sideways it went--well not really ...but close

I see you watching Zed, does that sound familiar??

Zed
11th July 2006, 19:38
I see you watching Zed, does that sound familiar??That was on my Blackbird last year and you were the only one who witnessed it Dover. Totally freaked me, kinda similar to this (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15990&d=1126940345) except that's straight in comparison. :sweatdrop

Chain wear through wheelies, i'm not sure which method causes the more wear MR, no doubt they both put extra pressure in the chain, wear would also be relative to how smooth a technique is used.

sAsLEX
12th July 2006, 09:52
just straighten shit up before you land it aye.

Joh nwas saying when he got his CBR new, must of been before the coroglen incident , that the damper on those things let him land crossed up and the bars would jsut slap back to running straight!

loosebruce
12th July 2006, 12:09
Joh nwas saying when he got his CBR new, must of been before the coroglen incident , that the damper on those things let him land crossed up and the bars would jsut slap back to running straight!

Yea most of the time most bikes damper will sort you out, GSXR, CBR whatever even ZX10R's with no dampers the chassis is good enough to straighten it up for you.

BUT..... there will always be that one time a damper wont save you, i wouldn't count on my bike or any bike slapping back to striaght everytime i landed crossed up, not a good habit to get into, it only takes a cold front tyre, a badly worn front tyre, a bit of diesel or slippery substance, an odd bump or camber in the road and you're toast?

ukbandit
12th July 2006, 12:52
[ I would have thought the sudden pull of the clutch snapping would have been harsher on the chain than a rappid throttle opening action.

Your thoughts and experiences would be much appreciated.[/QUOTE]

i used to do clutched wheelies on my bike (GT 750) proberly before you were born LB ha ha and that f#@ked my chain within a few months had to take out 2 links. on the bandit i only do power wheelies and have the same chain with plenty of adjustment still in it and have been doing hundreds over the last 2-3 yrs!! thats my bit done cant wait for the summer:yes:

larriken
12th July 2006, 17:58
Power wheelies are poos! Using your clutch makes life an awful lot easier, and if you are worried about chain wear buy a BMW. Phew! It just all spilled out, honest.:yes:

texmo
12th July 2006, 18:00
Is that how you do highchairs larriken?

larriken
12th July 2006, 19:34
Is that how you do highchairs larriken?

I do every single wheelie with the clutch. I don't really see the point in not doing it that way. It comes up quicker, it's easier to control, you get power instantly, yeah baby!

cowpoos
12th July 2006, 19:47
Power wheelies are poos!

careful bitch....I'll bring DB next time we get on the piss!

Drew
12th July 2006, 20:16
By using off the throttle technique in 2nd gear like you do sudeep the chain snatch is quite high, i'd say higher than a quick slip of the clutch, out right power wheelies wont bother the chain too much, it's just a practice thing mainly, in time you will get smoother at bringing the front up.

Does it not occur to people, that it takes the same amount of force, to raise the front wheel nomatter how you do it, ergo, no difference to chain wear between the two methods.
If ya clutch it up, the force on your chain is higher, but for less time, power is less stress, but takes longer.
Nomatter what way you go about it, you cant trick physics, torque used, is torque used.
End rant.

cowpoos
12th July 2006, 20:24
Does it not occur to people, that it takes the same amount of force, to raise the front wheel nomatter how you do it, ergo, no difference to chain wear between the two methods.
If ya clutch it up, the force on your chain is higher, but for less time, power is less stress, but takes longer.
Nomatter what way you go about it, you cant trick physics, torque used, is torque used.
End rant.
ahhh....but depends on the molecular bond of the metals in question....as they have different stress levels against deformation.

The_Dover
12th July 2006, 20:25
What a delightfully contradictory post Fizzypants.

If indeed the force is the same using both methods the resultant stress would be equal, assuming the force is applied over the same area.

cowpoos
12th July 2006, 20:29
What a delightfully contradictory post Fizzypants.

he likes to be called white trash's brother!

Hitcher
12th July 2006, 20:54
Somebody with impeccably dodgy credentials once told me shafties couldn't wheelie. After having completed a brisk upchange from 1st to 2nd gear at 7,500rpm on an FJR1300, I now suspect that there may be a flaw with this hypothesis...

2much
12th July 2006, 21:22
What have you been smoking Hitcher?

There's no way a shaftie will wheelie.... especially a lard-arse FJR...

onearmedbandit
12th July 2006, 21:53
Yeah, I remember Fish saying shafties can't wheelie, I think he tried to back it up with some post from a BMW bike forum. Dear oh dear...

Sensei
12th July 2006, 22:12
Can all bikes do Wheelies if so would mine beable to do them ??

cowpoos
12th July 2006, 22:15
nope coz your a twit....but a decent piloet would be able to wheelie your bike

cowpoos
12th July 2006, 22:16
whats up with your bike descroption...their ain't no thing called a gsx-r1000 sp

onearmedbandit
13th July 2006, 01:18
Sensei Performance?

Kickaha
13th July 2006, 08:45
Somebody with impeccably dodgy credentials once told me shafties couldn't wheelie,I now suspect that there may be a flaw with this hypothesis...

There was, they can!

Yeah, I remember Fish saying shafties can't wheelie, I think he tried to back it up with some post from a BMW bike forum. Dear oh dear...

My Mate used to be able to do it on his BMW R90S, so it is possible :yes:

onearmedbandit
13th July 2006, 16:22
Yup, seen photos of Goldwings on the back wheel.

larriken
13th July 2006, 20:18
If it has a clutch, a motor, and someone with no mechanical empathy onboard, it will do a wheelie. Honest, would I lie to you?

Kornholio
13th July 2006, 22:37
Yup, seen photos of Goldwings on the back wheel.

Lol i seen a guy pull one up in the main street of town...didnt know whether to laugh or applaud :/ It came down with a thump tho :rockon:

loosebruce
15th July 2006, 02:03
Death id wheelie his ol shaftie VF, mechaniclly sympatyhy bahahahahaha wot dat?

sAsLEX
15th July 2006, 07:32
mechaniclly sympatyhy bahahahahaha wot dat?

would ask your TL but it would have no idea!

Motoracer
16th January 2007, 19:37
The slack I was experienceing was just the lag caused by fueling.

When I landed a wheelie way too hard that time, I must have made the power comander go wacko. Don't have any other explanation.

I still ride/race with the same chain that came with the bike. It's got a few tight spots on it now but still usable.

These days I only clutch.

White trash
19th January 2007, 19:32
You waited six months to tell us this? Tell us the GOOD story will ya?!

Motoracer
21st January 2007, 18:08
You waited six months to tell us this? Tell us the GOOD story will ya?!

Story? How about a pic thats worth a thousand words?!

carver
21st January 2007, 20:20
i bounce the bike up, whilst shifting (read throwing) my weight backwards.
for throttle control, i back it off and snap it back on whilst completing the bounce trick..
and thats a 12hp bike!
the chain has no tight spots.

V4ME
2nd February 2007, 14:02
i bounce the bike up, whilst shifting (read throwing) my weight backwards.
for throttle control, i back it off and snap it back on whilst completing the bounce trick..
and thats a 12hp bike!
the chain has no tight spots.

12 HP - gee - Is that one of them attach to the bicycle things.
Mind you I watched the orange county chopper people doing wheelies on mopeds.

aussieinauckland
3rd February 2007, 17:18
who cares which way you do it , if your worried about nothin else but the chain your not having enough fun, have fun start slow , worst thing would be dropping it which is a lot more expensive than chain /sprockets

V4ME
3rd February 2007, 23:31
Yeah - have fun - its Chains are way cheaper that front tyres!!!
:scooter:

Brett
5th February 2007, 16:48
I have been trying a few ways to get the gsxr up on one smoothly, and to be honest, it is harder than my zxr was!
those who can do decent wheelies on a gsxr600 - what gear, rpm and body position do you find easiest??

Cheers - oh and motoracer, that looks sore man!

Motoracer
5th February 2007, 18:07
I have been trying a few ways to get the gsxr up on one smoothly, and to be honest, it is harder than my zxr was!
those who can do decent wheelies on a gsxr600 - what gear, rpm and body position do you find easiest??

Texmo can powerstand pretty good on his GSXR600K5

Maybe he'll tell ya.

The bone just looks sore. All it is, is an inconvinience really.

kickingzebra
5th February 2007, 18:13
2nd gear, 100 to 120 kmph, power on as you pull weight back, can bounce on the bars first if you feel the need. Mine was really hard to wheelie, in fact practically impossible until I clicked with it, and then this POS that wouldn't even wheelie would flip if you could be arsed in 2nd. On the gas, no clutdch by the way, I have nopt mastered clutch wheelies yet.

Chrislost
7th February 2007, 17:41
i could get my old CBR up using that "bounce and gas" thingy, in first @ 40km.h just took a few(weeks) to get it straight up and down. and even then itd come down near the top of 3rd.

Buddy L
7th February 2007, 18:05

Depends on what your gearing is and your body postion.
I have a 15 tooth on the front of my GSXR and that helps alot.
If im sitting down i clutch it at about 90kms in 2nd gear and the bike lifts up and then i wheelie out the gear.
( can't change while im up their yet (its a mind thing))
but if im standing on the pegs and pull my weight back in can do the same but with no clutch, and feels better for bike then using the clutch, but harder to do on the road bike in that postion.

clutching also chews out the middle of the rear tyre, well im my case it did, only managed 4000kays out a set of dilablos.:shutup:

Brett
8th February 2007, 19:13
Depends on what your gearing is and your body postion.
I have a 15 tooth on the front of my GSXR and that helps alot.
If im sitting down i clutch it at about 90kms in 2nd gear and the bike lifts up and then i wheelie out the gear.
( can't change while im up their yet (its a mind thing))
but if im standing on the pegs and pull my weight back in can do the same but with no clutch, and feels better for bike then using the clutch, but harder to do on the road bike in that postion.

clutching also chews out the middle of the rear tyre, well im my case it did, only managed 4000kays out a set of dilablos.:shutup:

Yeah you sound like you have experienced what I did. Gearing is still standard, am thinking about going 1 up front, 2 or so down rear...might help.

kickingzebra
8th February 2007, 20:40
Nah, don't need to gear it... It is your mind, not the bike, guarantee that.
I can get mine to do a minitiature power wheelie in third using my described technique, on standard gearing. It'll flip in 2nd, again, on the power, no clutch, again, on standard gearing. Just ride it.

Brett
9th February 2007, 21:16
Nah, don't need to gear it... It is your mind, not the bike, guarantee that.
I can get mine to do a minitiature power wheelie in third using my described technique, on standard gearing. It'll flip in 2nd, again, on the power, no clutch, again, on standard gearing. Just ride it.

Well you have given me hope. I gess my technique must be shit. Just fristrating since I could wheelie a 250 better than a 600...makes me a look a tad stupid doing piddly littl front wiggles...the occasional one lifting maybe 600/700mm.

Drew
11th February 2007, 19:21
Have you guys seen the ad for the gixxer, that reads

"GSXR... If you dont win, IT'S YOUR FAULT."

Well this is a case of, if you cant wheelie a modern 600 sports bike off the pipe, IT'S YOUR FAULT!!!

Twist the throttle, and wait. How the hell ya get that wrong? But seriously, it is just that simple. I've managed to hoist my old FZR750 off the pipe for fuck sake. Lean foreward, wait till the power comes on, and tug back!!

Now stop bitchin about how ya cant do it, and fuckin try harder.

Ps, Sensei, you're still a dick! Bwahahahahahaha

Drew
11th February 2007, 19:44

She can on hers! so you'd bloody well think so.

Brett
13th February 2007, 19:17
Yeah I got wheelies off the throttle coming together now, first gear hoists piece of piss, working on second gear lifts now.

Drew
14th February 2007, 16:53
Yeah I got wheelies off the throttle coming together now, first gear hoists piece of piss, working on second gear lifts now.

How long is it stayin up in first bro? I only ask, because I think you'll find it more beneficial, to continue hoisting in first gear, and get the hang of hangin it high. (Alliteration is my forte)
The higher it is, the less it will accelerate, I took a couple novice wheelie punters out last night for a tutorial, (which implies I know what I'm doin, but ask cowpoos, he'll set the record straight that I suck,) and tried to impress apon them, to just keep doin them in one gear, and practice practice, practice.

Dont get me wrong, it's hard to get used to, especially since, at the point where the bike is at constant speed, or slowing down, (yes, this feels really fuckin cool when you're on board, and the speedo is dropping,) I cant bloody see over my fairing and clocks. More frustrating still, is standing up, I can only hold constant speed in second gear, around 120k's. I'm just starting to practice with my left foot on the rear peg, to see if it gives more control doin low speed stand ups, pluss it makes the right foot better positioned over the rear brake.
The slower and longer you do them, the more impressive the look.

Also, the slower you go, the less distance you have to walk to find all the bits off your tail section.