PDA

View Full Version : Passing on the inside..

Dangerous Dane
10th July 2006, 08:58
Hey all, Whats the guts with passing a slow vehicle on the inside of a lane?
I was baited into doing so yesterday by some clown who slowed right down and moved to the right then actually tried to ram me and chased me home.

He was bloody close to hitting me too.

Dont know how he could justify endangering me as he did and then the 90km+ speeds (in a 50) he had to do to chase me home.

Whats the legalities of passing on the inside?

bobsmith
10th July 2006, 09:09
I believe the car you're overtaking MUST be indicating right for you to overtake on left (inside?) FULL STOP

[edit] - yes I was assuming single lane

Swoop
10th July 2006, 09:11
So long as there are seperate marked lanes and each vehicle keeps within their lane... legal.
If it is only 1 lane.... Edit: see above post ^
Sounds as if you located one of the "intelligensia" of cagers out there.

Are you displaying an "L" plate?
Were there any reasons that would have caused this event to take place?

Squeak the Rat
10th July 2006, 09:11
Passing on the left is most certainly illegal unless he was stationary or indicating to turn right. [edit: assuming single lane....]

When you say you were baited into passing him, how slow did he go and what were the events that led him to do this? Did he have a reason to be pissed with you?

Regardless though, trying to ram some one is not excusable. Did you get his rego? If so you should report this to the cops.

There are too many unstable people in cars these days. Glad you survived this one, but I'd suggest that next time a car driver wants to play games you simply let them go. Better to concede and live than to be dead right.....

bobsmith
10th July 2006, 09:26
I just don't understand the psycho idiots who decides to agressively follow bikes with anger.

If they think bikes are half as dangerous as they say it is, they must be prepared to kill us if they follow us in that manner. Fucking psychos.

Refer to:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/motorcycle_firearms.htm

Dangerous Dane
10th July 2006, 09:40
No no L plates, part of the reason I didnt pull over and rip him out of his car was that I dont have a license or reg at the moment. (stupid, I know, but I'm rebuilding my bike at the moment I was just taking it for a ride to see how the carbs were running) Cause it was just a tuning ride I was only a tshirt and no gloves. It would have hurt haha.

I hadn't done anything to him, He put his brake lights on and slowed, I stayed behind him, He slowed more to less than 40km, I weighed it up went for it (Its a very wide road) And as soon as I dropped it down a gear and moved to the left he slammed on his brakes and swerved left, leaving me no gap at all. I managed to avoid hitting him and he pulled back out and toyed with me at 20km moving left and right as I did so I couldnt pass. I came to an intersection and flipped him the bird and he slammed on his brakes and did a very quick U turn with no indication then chased me home.
Came on our property and threw a tantrum about how he was going to call the cops for trying to pass him.
Stupid son of a bitch shat himself when I grabbed him by the throat and removed him from our property.

I would love to see how the cops would have handled that one if it wasnt for the fact I had no license and reg (the bike had a wof atleast)
The fact of the matter is that I never passed him anyway. At the point he braked and swerved I would have still been 2m behind his big compensation of a 4WD.

aff-man
10th July 2006, 09:56
No no L plates, part of the reason I didnt pull over and rip him out of his car was that I dont have a license or reg at the moment. (stupid, I know, but I'm rebuilding my bike at the moment I was just taking it for a ride to see how the carbs were running) Cause it was just a tuning ride I was only a tshirt and no gloves. It would have hurt haha.

I hadn't done anything to him, He put his brake lights on and slowed, I stayed behind him, He slowed more to less than 40km, I weighed it up went for it (Its a very wide road) And as soon as I dropped it down a gear and moved to the left he slammed on his brakes and swerved left, leaving me no gap at all. I managed to avoid hitting him and he pulled back out and toyed with me at 20km moving left and right as I did so I couldnt pass. I came to an intersection and flipped him the bird and he slammed on his brakes and did a very quick U turn with no indication then chased me home.
Came on our property and threw a tantrum about how he was going to call the cops for trying to pass him.
Stupid son of a bitch shat himself when I grabbed him by the throat and removed him from our property.

I would love to see how the cops would have handled that one if it wasnt for the fact I had no license and reg (the bike had a wof atleast)
The fact of the matter is that I never passed him anyway. At the point he braked and swerved I would have still been 2m behind his big compensation of a 4WD.

yeh sounds like he is one of the few " bastard motorcycles I'm gonna play with him" people... I've overtaken on the left on one or two occasions when someone slows right down as you say... but usually it means they are turning.. without indicating. Following ya home though? Sheesh something is really in his bonnet.. You should've dialed *555 when you got home with an account of his driving. Swerving at 20km/h is dangerous driving.

crashe
10th July 2006, 10:09
Tell him to call the cops....

And then when the cops arrive tell them what he was doing...
As he was being a dangerous driver..

But in saying that if it is a single lane unless he was indicating to turn right then you cant undertake on the left...
(Check out lane splitting threads)

There are always going to be dickheads out there on the road trying to be right arsewipes to bike riders. I have struck them many a time and they wont learn a thing.

Best thing is turn off to another road away from where he is going or stop and wait a few minutes and the dickbreath will be long gone.

Yep they then end up dictating to us that they think they are right...which we know they are not right, but at the end of the day, you are still alive and the pratt will get his own karma one day.

Also when a driver starts to follow you - NEVER EVER go home.... take them on a tikitour and somehow end up at the local copshop... they will soon get tired following you around the backstreets.... just make sure that you dont ride into a cul de sac as you need to be able to get away in a hurry in necessary.

The reason you dont let them follow you home, as the dickhead can come back later with a group of his mates... and either trash up your bike and/or do you over. So never let them know where you live.

ogr1
10th July 2006, 10:14
As above........this knob jocky now knows where you live.

Dangerous Dane
10th July 2006, 10:40
The reason you dont let them follow you home, as the dickhead can come back later with a group of his mates... and either trash up your bike and/or do you over. So never let them know where you live.

I think I'd be more of a risk to him off the bike..

Yeah it was a judgement error in doing a runner, I was aiming for an alleyway then I realised It was gonna be a struggle to get the bike through the entrance I was aiming for. Thought I could put enough space between us that he wouldnt see where I lived, he must have just seen the bike in the drive I think. It was pretty close.

Haha I prefer to keep the cops out of things like this. They know me all too well.

kiwifruit
10th July 2006, 10:48
its illegal to pass on the inside but u were only avoiding a collision so its "ok" i guess....
why was the driver toying with you? seems wierd, musta been having a shit day!

Macktheknife
10th July 2006, 10:57
Also when a driver starts to follow you - NEVER EVER go home.... take them on a tikitour and somehow end up at the local copshop...

I second that! I had a guy once who wanted to play a similar game and very nearly hit me, I rode the footpath, alleyways and anything else I could to get away from the bastard, he still followed me for nearly 25 mins, until I pulled in to the cop station, then he drove off like a maniac and 2 mins later he crashed into a building! The cops were very helpful and ignored my not having a WOF, the driver was caught and charged with dangerous driving, DIC and a couple of other things.
IMO, this is by far the best option, it also helps if you can get the rego in your head for later informing the cops.

crashe
10th July 2006, 11:07
I second that! I had a guy once who wanted to play a similar game and very nearly hit me, I rode the footpath, alleyways and anything else I could to get away from the bastard, he still followed me for nearly 25 mins, until I pulled in to the cop station, then he drove off like a maniac and 2 mins later he crashed into a building! The cops were very helpful and ignored my not having a WOF, the driver was caught and charged with dangerous driving, DIC and a couple of other things.
IMO, this is by far the best option, it also helps if you can get the rego in your head for later informing the cops.

Snap - I had a taxi do it to me...
I got the name of the taxi and the rego.... PLUS also get a discription of the driver, as they can say it wasnt them (the owner) driving the vehicle.... (there were two in the taxi van trying to get me to pull over and opening up the side door to try to get me to stop)

I also contacted the taxi company - It was the son of the driver who had the taxi out for the day...The main driver had finished night shift and was asleep. The taxi company was really pissed off, as it was giving them a bad name.
When I spoke to the police they said that they didnt care how I rode as I was saving my life from being attacked. Yep I rode up footpaths and shot down roads I knew.. these bastards were after me all cos I past them on the right at the set of lights and I got past them... oh gee what a shame. :whistle:

But I fair shite myself being chased around streets..... and getting past cars at intersections... I finally lost the arsewipes and shot back home and laid a official complaint with the police.

Dangerous Dane
10th July 2006, 11:37
Bugger that. This guy was a joke. Probably about 40 years old and had his wife in the car. Comes strutting onto our property like rambo then shat himself when I grabbed him. Wife on the rag the whole time etc.

Haha due to a few incidents in the past I think the local constabulary would be more inclined to aid him haha.

Ah well, he wont get off this easy next time I bump into him.

crashe
10th July 2006, 11:48
Well I feel for his wife/partner/girlfriend...
If he gets this angry with you, what does he do to his wife/partner/girlfriend that was in the car with him when he gets home. And she was made to witness what he was doing...

She may have been telling him to let it go... but like a dumbarse idiot, he dosen't have an ounce of sense in him and don't listen.

What you have done in your past is your past..... people do grow up and change and become good citizens...

madboy
10th July 2006, 12:26
Boot/gloves meet wingmirror. Usually helps that your bike is a bit more than a 250.

Ditto others - never go home with tosser in tow! NEVER. They might be a wrinkly old man but you'll never cease to be amazed how aggro some of them get. And how vindictive. Or their kids, or grandkids. Had an old guy (like in his 70s), try and pull me (in my teens) out of a car one time. Had a 50-60yo punch me in the head and try and drag me out the window too. Yes, I was a troubled teenager. Fortunately for both of them I wasn't a particularly violent one.

mstriumph
10th July 2006, 13:01
in south africa in the early 80's lotsa cars had a rear bumper sticker which showed an arrow pointing to the offside saying "passing side" and an arrow pointing to the near side saying "suicide" .........

guess that about sums it up?

i'd say that, irrespective of the legalities of the situation, passing on the near side [unless the cage concerned is indicating right and positioned to turn right] is not to be recommended ..........

and i'm with the rest of the pack here - DEFINATELY don't lead you problem home - the local nick is a MUCH better option, one i've used myself on at least two occassions :innocent:

Dangerous Dane
10th July 2006, 13:14
Yeah the road I was on is wide enough to pass on the left in a car so I thought It'd be no big deal and I judged it for a while before trying.

Haha yeah I used the Twizel cop shop the time I was getting chased by some psycho with a knife on the long central roads. Was interesting...

oldrider
10th July 2006, 13:34
Yeah the road I was on is wide enough to pass on the left in a car so I thought It'd be no big deal and I judged it for a while before trying.

Haha yeah I used the Twizel cop shop the time I was getting chased by some psycho with a knife on the long central roads. Was interesting...
Defensive driving or offensive driving, you seem to be mixing your drinks here! :blip:
That psycho with the knife in the Mackenzie was me, I just wanted to share my apple with you! :nya: You can be so unsociable at times. :nono:

Dangerous Dane
10th July 2006, 14:20
Haha that right?... I apologise, I thought it was cause I had your girlfriend in the car...

Skyryder
10th July 2006, 18:47
I just don't understand the psycho idiots who decides to agressively follow bikes with anger.

It's an adrenaline thing. I've had cages come up on the inside..........usually on or approaching intersections. One minute you're driveing nice and sedatley and some fucker comes up on the left hand lane and instead of turning left goes straight ahead. I'ts the unexpected that sets up the response. The adreniline flows and sitting in a cage or on the bike with nowhere to go.............the body starts to go into overdrive with all that horspower surging thru. With neither fight or flight as an option.......anger is the result. Well that's my theory.

Skyryder

paturoa
10th July 2006, 20:03
Dunno about u lot, but when someone tail gates me I slow down and if they continue I slow down even more, give some suitable hand signals etc.

Not excusing the crap from the cage, swerving left, following etc, but u weren;t tail gating were you?

XTC
10th July 2006, 20:13
Dunno about u lot, but when someone tail gates me I slow down and if they continue I slow down even more, give some suitable hand signals etc.

Why not just let them pass? Is it really worth your life to win that race?

paturoa
10th July 2006, 20:19
Why not just let them pass? Is it really worth your life to win that race?

I do let them pass. I'm talking about tail gating aholes where there is single lane, I'm getting along at a good clip and there is no where to pass.

Had one the other day probably no more than 5 meters behind me and Im doing 60 k in a 50 k zone around corners. Slowed down and gave suitable hand signals and they backed off.

Ixion
10th July 2006, 20:19
Only problem is , sometimes the plonker behind doesn't actually want to pass at all. He just wants some aggro. And stopping can be just what he wants, you're vulnerable once stopped.

paturoa
10th July 2006, 20:24
Only problem is , sometimes the plonker behind doesn't actually want to pass at all. He just wants some aggro. And stopping can be just what he wants, you're vulnerable once stopped.

recently had a cage slow in front of me aggro etc, dunno what I did to this day, gave the wanker signal :tugger: and didn't stay around to find out (there were several in the car)

XTC
10th July 2006, 22:41
What am I doing wrong? Why can't I get some agro?? I have had some attitude from drivers in the past but realised that the attitude was mainly a reflection of my own attitude on the road. I now am courteous (most of the time) and only recieve that back.

paturoa
11th July 2006, 05:09
ride gt nth road new lynn, avondale and nw mway to work every morning, and home each nite, they r out there!!

iwilde
11th July 2006, 05:23
I love situations like this! But it helps being 6'3" and 110kg, 99% of the time they fuck off real quick when I get off the bike and stand up straight. In saying that it always pays to pick the battles that are in your favor to win as I got chased by some mongrel mobs in a clubsport, no way was I stopping for that!

paturoa
11th July 2006, 06:06
bugger ... I'm fat, middle aged, 5 ft 9 and as about as scary as donald duck... best I dont stop huh, cos I'll prolly get a kicking

- just as well I don't ride a scoot cos they would catch me & then give me the kicking....

Insanity_rules
11th July 2006, 06:50
Yeah I had some mensa candidate do similar to me in Lower Hutt once, never quite figured out what his problem was. One minute he was following me quite sedately and the next he was speeding up behind me and hurling abuse so I pulled over to see what he wanted and he drove on so I pulled out again. Then he started braking hard in front of me and swerving all over the show.

Man some cagers are totally screwed up about bikers. I don't think I did anything to provoke him.

Dangerous Dane
11th July 2006, 08:27
Nah I wouldnt say I was tailgating. I would have been a decent distance behind him till he started braking.

sunhuntin
14th July 2006, 18:09
yep...i hate people like that. i nearly rear ended someone a while back cos they slammed their brakes on, and then had some cager try and undertake. only time i pass on the left is if the vehicle ahead has stopped or is indicating a right turn.

you were lucky to get away safely. i get paranoid if i notice a car has been behind me, so usually gun it and take a different route. if you got his rego, i would report him, reguardless of license/rego. dont mention them if you can avoid it, but report him if you can.....the next biker he goes for might not be so lucky.

Dangerous Dane
15th July 2006, 15:46
I usually resort to anger over paranoia...

I just didnt want to make a scene while I was still unlisenced.

I'll go get the stupid thing soon though.

acewheelie
15th July 2006, 17:18
I once had a guy chase me down the southern motorway at over the ton, I had been riding normally, indicating lane changes sitting a little above 100, indicated into the left lane, checked my mirrors about 20 seconds later and it was full of bright orange Camaro. I was able to loose him in the traffic, but it took a bit of doing, glad I was on a 750. There are some real psychos out there.