PDA

View Full Version : Mods for touring.

Lou Girardin
10th July 2006, 15:49
These aren't just for touring, but they have made a difference.
Ohlins rear shock with higher rate spring - Traxxion front springs, it's made the ride fully loaded unbelievably good. I haven't bottomed it out yet despite the 180 kg load and it's completely removed any wallow at 'slap upside the head' speeds.
Rider custom seat, the standard Bandit seat is not pillion friendly. This has increased my wifes range from 150 to 300 k's.
Handguards, not as good as heated grips, but they certainly helped when it got cool (10-11 degrees)
Givi bags, it's much more civilised to unlock them from the bike and walk in like a real tourist and not a look like a rickshaw driver doing house removals.
I haven't used the GPS on a trip yet, but I'm sure it's got enough functions to entertain me for hours.

XP@
13th July 2006, 13:39
Scotoiler (or similar): essential.
Daytona grips: hmmm warm hands, makes the rain survivable.
Sheepskin: too tight to buy a new seat
GPS: good to know where you have been or for accident locations.
Cycle computer: not much value apart from average speed and clock
Soft bags: I ride a rikshaw.
tank bag with map holder: Very useful (but watch out putting your wallet in magnetic bags)

OLD MAN BJ
13th July 2006, 14:52
I'm thinking about doing some mods to my 900 Hornet to make it more comfortable. Sheepskin on seat ( where do you get them, and do they need to be tailored to each seat ). Raising the bars about 1 inch. Got some Givi hard luggage and its great. Also, when its time go get a new chain, I think I will go up a tooth on the front sprocket. I keek looking for another gear.
But isn't that what makes a bike fun to own?

Blackbird
13th July 2006, 15:30
I'm thinking about doing some mods to my 900 Hornet to make it more comfortable. Sheepskin on seat ( where do you get them, and do they need to be tailored to each seat ). Raising the bars about 1 inch. Got some Givi hard luggage and its great. Also, when its time go get a new chain, I think I will go up a tooth on the front sprocket. I keek looking for another gear.

The sheepskin shop on SH1 between Putaruru and Tokoroa will custom make a fully fitted one for about $110 in black or common or garden cream. Alternately, you can buy a bit and make your own. I used one for years before going for a custom seat.

avgas
13th July 2006, 15:33
Dont forget the tool roll above the headlight

Big Dave
13th July 2006, 16:00
XB12X Mods required for touring:

XB12X mods required for gravel-road touring:

XB12X mods rquired for excellent sports riding:
Replace dunlop front tyre.

XB12X mods required for urban/stunt riding:

bloody good bike - first one I've owned that doesn't need 'something' doing to it.
It could use better lights is about all - but i don't tour at night anyway so not bothering.

Lou Girardin
13th July 2006, 16:35

XB12X mods rquired for excellent sports riding:
Replace dunlop front tyre.

XB12X mods required for urban/stunt riding:

bloody good bike - first one I've owned that doesn't need 'something' doing to it.
It could use better lights is about all - but i don't tour at night anyway so not bothering.

Don't forget the Human Growth Hormone so that normal people can touch the ground. (or training wheels)

Kendog
13th July 2006, 16:56

I have one that was made by Charmans in Napier especially for the Hornet.
As Blackbird said, I am sure other places can do the same.

Was invaluable on my last long trip, as the stock seat is a little firm.

If you or anyone is seriously thinking of doing something for the seat, I highly recommend getting a Rider (http://www.trimit.co.nz/) seat.

Buster
13th July 2006, 17:14
Some useful items I have found to make touring more comfortable are a good pair of earplugs. Not that my bike is loud, but it takes the harshness out of the wind blast which can really wear you down after a few hours.

Bonez
13th July 2006, 19:59
BUNGIES!, BUNGIES!!, and BUNGIES!!!

Bonez
13th July 2006, 20:05

The luggage system is standard then?

Bonez
13th July 2006, 20:15

See above re laggage system :nya:

Big Dave
13th July 2006, 23:01
The luggage system is standard then?

Yeah - it kinda was on mine - I did a deal on working for AMPS for it.
It's an optional extra - and quite expensive too. good gear but.

I haven't bottomed it out yet despite the 180 kg load

Geez Lou...

You might wanna try getting down the gym a bit, then you wouldn't need all that expensive gear ;)

Lou Girardin
14th July 2006, 08:31
Geez Lou...

You might wanna try getting down the gym a bit, then you wouldn't need all that expensive gear ;)

Yeah, yeah, I was waiting for that. Did I not mention being two-up and having the contents of my wifes hair and make up department on board?
I only make up 85 kg's and two pairs of undies in that load.

XP@
14th July 2006, 09:28
Don't forget the Human Growth Hormone so that normal people can touch the ground. (or training wheels)
It's ok, because Big D will follow you around with a step ladder before he admits his bike ain't perfect.

He will also carry your (and your wifes) gear because the he ain't going to let you know that standard is only standard if your called "Big Dave"

Ok, so if i was taller and richer then it would definatly have been my bike. (or maybe the HP2)

But Dave, isn't part of touring or even riding making changes to personalise your bike, cagers are sheep, we are not.

Big Dave
14th July 2006, 11:31
But Dave, isn't part of touring or even riding making changes to personalise your bike, cagers are sheep, we are not.

I spent thousands hotting up my trophy. got it to 125hp at the back wheel, ohlins front and rear, Neptunes, Corbin seat, flash paint the works - and then spent the next 2 years trailering it to the shop cause it kept breaking things. Cam chains gearbox, coils coils coils coils, I fixed it up for the last and sold it when i got the Buell. Don't miss it at all.

My tbird is heavily customised so i use that energy there

but for the buell - with noise testing, emissions testing and all sorts of other new regs looming - i'm not even going to worry about the muffler - she can stay bog stock - and you are right, it is just about perfect for me - there are little gripes like the hand guards and the handlebars are slightly too narrow. But after the trophy experience - not enough to be arsed with changing.

So far it hasn't missed a beat either. happy happy joy joy.

Big Dave
14th July 2006, 13:38
standard is only standard if your called "Big Dave"

I work for it buddy. 40 hours on a trade show stand paid for some of it.

Holy Roller
14th July 2006, 20:33
Tow bar for the trailer
Intercom for the pillion
Radio for bike to bike comms , Next mod is to run an external aerial for better reception
Radar detector to keep the speed in check
Heated grips for the really cold days or nights, they get HOT so don't use them much.
Loose baffle removed in the collector box so she breathes a bit easier now.
Sheep skin thrown over the seat for the really long rides 500km+.
next mod would be a lights upgrade, add some spots and a hi stop lamp ready for the grand challenge.

greenman
17th July 2006, 19:27
this is what I took around australia
intercom
mp3 player
taller screen
soft paniers
tankbag
venturer packrack
standard toolkit
puncture repair kit.
tent
sleeping bag
thermorest
camp chair.
thermos flask

didn't need the puncture kit till the last 3 days, when I got two punctures.

crusa
22nd July 2006, 19:14
.sundowner seat and sissy bar, some ohlins which make a huge diff from stock (which were bottoming out on highest preload )with 2up and wife says its more comfortable than before.

geoffm
23rd July 2006, 11:16
Pannier bags rule
Although I haven't needed it for a number of years, I always pack one of those little puncture repair kits.
A radar detector is an essential piece of kit.
Heated grips are nice...
Geoff

Krayy
26th July 2006, 12:05
Yeah, yeah, I was waiting for that. Did I not mention being two-up and having the contents of my wifes hair and make up department on board?
I only make up 85 kg's and two pairs of undies in that load.
Never to go on more than a 2 day tour with Lou!! :sick:

Lou Girardin
26th July 2006, 15:25
Never to go on more than a 2 day tour with Lou!! :sick:

You get two days from one pair. Turn 'em inside out. On the fifth day, wash 'em in the sink. After the dishes.
Socks work the same way.
Haven't you done Man 101?

I got the wrong class....

isn't Metro 101 fairly similar?

sAsLEX
26th July 2006, 15:30
You get two days from one pair. Turn 'em inside out.
Haven't you done Man 101?

You obviously failed can get at least 4 days from nicks . turn 'em around. turn 'em inside out again.

Lou Girardin
27th July 2006, 15:30
You obviously failed can get at least 4 days from nicks . turn 'em around. turn 'em inside out again.

I wear 'em the wrong way round all the time. Need the extra space y'see.

pritch
1st August 2006, 13:16
After the dishes.

Nice touch Lou :-)

TONO
3rd August 2006, 23:26
Well the 1400 is an ideal touring bike with a bloody comfortable seat:yes: for me and the squeeze and with the a set of "Givi" can carry enough gear to make your trip comfortable.:doobey:

moko
9th August 2006, 13:42
I just fitted one of these "throttle rockers",takes seconds to fit,a couple of minutes to find the position where you feel happy with it and a few miles to get used to but certainly makes a difference.I find that even on a twisty road where you can`t really use it as a "cruise control" I`m not gripping the throttle so hard and am using the heel of my hand as well as my fingers.Sounds a bit dodgy and possibly dangerous but once you get the hang of something that feels a bit strange initially it`s a brilliant little thing,a bit like the old "heel and toe" gear-levers in principle I guess.Been on my bike for 2 weeks and now I cant imagine riding any distance without it.Because of the shape you can move your hand sideways slightly to hold a higher speed without needing to twist your wrist,a lot easier done than explained.
http://www.throttlerocker.com/

NighthawkNZ
22nd September 2006, 20:48
My tips for long tours... been said and done...

Sheep Skin.
Ear Plugs or music.
Heated Grips.
Decent Luggage.
Cruise Control.
Helmet with sun visor.

I done many tours on the XJ650 Special has travel the length and breadth of the country :2thumbsup though she up for sale now... sigh

The_Dover
22nd September 2006, 21:43
hey lou, have you got the Colemans performance exhaust on it?

magicfairy
23rd September 2006, 09:55
Big packet of Neurofen Plus

redbaron36
3rd October 2006, 18:21
tank bag with map holder: Very useful (but watch out putting your wallet in magnetic bags)

Good point, wiped the credit cards did it

Wolf
6th October 2006, 12:54
A radar detector is an essential piece of kit.
Not on my tour bike.

Not without a long, steep downhill grade and a tailwind, anyway...
:D

A more comfortable seat would go down a treat tho'. And pannier bags, tail rack for tent and sleeping roll, centre stand...

LED indicators, panel lights and tail/brake lights would be a great idea - only have to carry a spare headlamp bulb because all the other bulbs have been replaced with long-lasting, vibration-proof, LEDs.

NighthawkNZ
17th November 2006, 06:46
Big packet of Neurofen Plus

lol.............:scooter:

Im finally getting cruise control for the vtr... yeah
http://www.mccruise.com/Honda-VTR1000F-Firestorm-Super-Hawk-p-63.html

BMT
17th November 2006, 20:08
The 2 most essential touring items:
1. More time
2. With friends

NighthawkNZ
17th December 2006, 14:42
2. With friends

I find travelling with friends keeps your speed down which is a good thing saves on them tickets