PDA

View Full Version : wof time

FROSTY
31st May 2004, 13:40
I had an interesting talk to Alex last night about Wof testing.
Who here will not let anyone else ride their bike -even for a WOF check?

Motoracer
31st May 2004, 13:42

Is there really a choice?

White trash
31st May 2004, 13:43

Eh?

You gotta be shitting me! They've got to ride your bike to see if the brakes/speedo work and all sorts of other shit.

There is nothing, NOTHING, anyone can do worse to my bike than I already do to it anyway.

FROSTY
31st May 2004, 13:44
well ya see thats what we were talking about. It seems lots of bikers wont let anyone ride their bike. Dumb really given that another set of eyes might see something needing fixing. But nope the attitude is Its perfect and you can't tell me different - worst case was a guy on a K1100 with a BALD front tyre

White trash
31st May 2004, 13:49
Johann "Peoples hero" Bruns gets me to ride his bike and offer valuable set up advice.

So really, I should get at least partial credit for his Robert Holden Memorial title. :killingme

Fuck I crack myself up!

Firefight
31st May 2004, 13:56
More than happy to let people I know and trust to ride my bike, not sure about a stranger, most of the younger guys I know on this site have takin my R6 for a blat, the only down side for me is watching them ride it better than me, aye MR !!

Firefight :o

Motoracer
31st May 2004, 14:03
More than happy to let people I know and trust to ride my bike, not sure about a stranger, most of the younger guys I know on this site have takin my R6 for a blat, the only down side for me is watching them ride it better than me, aye MR !!

Firefight :o

The bike made me do it... Honest! :innocent:

Motu
31st May 2004, 14:16
I used to like this one - ''no one rides my fucking bike mate!'' oh,is that so - see ya!

It used to be so worded that a road test for a car was compulsory (but testing stations never do) but for a bike a road test was at the discression of the AVI,I don't see any mention of road tests whatsoever in the VIRM.In the old Motor Safe days we had to have a set of written proceedures - if my proceedures said I had to road test every bike then I had to do it,much to my enjoyment.

I like to road test a bike,need to see if the speedo works at least,but you can feel steering head bearings,tight or loose,brakes etc on a road test.Anything less and we are doing a disservice really.Most of the bikes I test are for friends,I have usualy ridden their bikes at some time,and if I ask are always willing to let me have a spin,in fact if it's a new bike to them they will insist.They all know their bikes well and I know they would never go out on worn tyres,with bad brakes or tight or loose steering heads.

Some young kid on a beat up commuter? he doesn't know shit and needs me to give it the works,some tough guy who won't let any wanker on his bike - sorry mate.Much to my embaressment I have smacked up a bike - a nice white Commando,the owner insisted I take it for a ride...being an ex Norton man myself.He had fitted some huge panniers to it,wider than the bars or footpegs - as I turned close to some cars I clipped a bumper with the panniers and dumped the bike in front of him,shit I was embarassed - they were glass and I paid for the repair.

DEATH_INC.
31st May 2004, 14:29
I'm with WT on this one,pretty hard for anyone else to do more harm than I inflict on it myself......the exception is the turbo,I won't let anyone ride it,with the exception of one or two people,it's just too bloody dangerous in the wrong hands.......no worries with wofs,the guy at work that does them isn't stupid and doesn't insist on riding it,he does ride the gixxer though.

matthewt
31st May 2004, 14:53

My dealer sold a new MV F4 last year and the VINZ guy dropped it while out checking the brakes etc. He was a biker as well, couldn't be bothered putting his boots on and ended up getting his shoelaces snagged in the footpeg, on his way off he wound the throttle around enough to send the bike into a flat spin on the ground.

I was there 2 weeks later for a WoF for my F4 and I knew about this happening. Same guy, looks at me, looks at the bike and says "I'll be back in a minute, just need to get my boots on.". Same guy the year before looked at my F4 and the fact it was pissing down at the time, asked me how the brakes were? I said fine, he ticked the box.

White trash
31st May 2004, 14:55
Actually, Death. Its a shame we don't have our turbo FXDX Harley anymore. We could have swapped turbos for a bit of a laugh.

From the sound of it, the Kwaka would scare the shit out of me!

Anyone who has not ridden a (proper) turbo (cx500s don't count) should do so pronto! Pro-cycles in Napier are selling our old Harley if anyone reckons they're tough enuff! :bleh:

aff-man
31st May 2004, 15:31
Well lucky enough my mechanic is my wof guy :msn-wink: . But the guy i used before that was an absolute tosser. Took the bike for a blat (without a helmet on) heard him roaring arond and then comes back and tells me a whole lot of things that wern't really wrong with it. Went to bike shop got them to write a note about how what the guy says was bullshit went back to wof guy and he had the tanasity to phone the bikeshop. Never went there again. Secong wof experience was at a testing station i just sat on bike and guy tolk me to do all this stug (lights bounce forks ect) then he said ride over there and come back and brak using front and then rear i was like ok and walla i got a wof easy as. But from now on i go to bike shop cause i really trust the mechanic and i know he will give it to me straight :mobile: .

Racey Rider
31st May 2004, 15:50
There is nothing, NOTHING, anyone can do worse to my bike than I already do to it anyway.

SO,,,

What the selling price at NOW?!

:doh: :doh: :doh:

vifferman
31st May 2004, 15:51
My attitude is that I will let anyone I know ride my bike, but it's on the basis of "You break it, you pay for it". I'd be the same riding anyone else's bike.

When it comes to WOF's, the guys I've been to have just ridden a very short distance to tick the box that says "Brake to a stop from 30 km/h" or however it's worded.

White trash
31st May 2004, 15:52
SO,,,

What the selling price at NOW?!

:doh: :doh: :doh:

Well now that depends.

Is that an offer to do business?

maybe
31st May 2004, 21:04
All my warrants done by the testing stations they have never ridden any of my bikes.......just get me to get up to 30ks and break when I get to a line by there drive then they measure the distance.......speedo he gives the front wheel a good spin and can see the speedo move.

matthewt
31st May 2004, 21:56
speedo he gives the front wheel a good spin and can see the speedo move.

Hmmmm, a lot of new bikes run the speedo off the front sprocket so soon that won't work too well....

Motu
31st May 2004, 22:12
No problem - I always do a burnout as part of the WoF test...so,when you bringing your bike in?

matthewt
31st May 2004, 22:30
No problem - I always do a burnout as part of the WoF test...so,when you bringing your bike in?

If I'm in Auckland in mid Feb next year I'll be sure to stop in :D

Big Dog
31st May 2004, 22:42
Never had a warrant where the inspector wanted top ride it.
It is not a case of no-one rides her, as no-one who can't afford to replace her, or who I don't beleive is competent does.

If you have 10 large to spring for a replacement and you have a license and I don't think you are a suicidal maniac then you may ride her.

Antallica
31st May 2004, 23:09
Only my close mates can ride it, I'm a bit iffy about the g/f using it though.

Jackrat
31st May 2004, 23:29
I'll let some mates ride her under the you bust it you pay for it thing.
I have only had one guy want to ride a bike of mine at warrant time.
I said no,After all he was about 17 an the shop apprentice.He went an got the boss an the boss had no issue with it.
Not a big deal really.

FROSTY
31st May 2004, 23:33
funny the range of ways of thinking on the subject isn't it :calm:

Big Dog
1st June 2004, 17:45
To my way of thinking if it is a bike shop that does warrants,
1 They are obliged to have insurance, so they might dick me around a bit but they can and will eventually pay.
2 It is implied by all the certificates on the wall that they know more than me about bikes.. some will open their mouths and prove that assumption wrong. But this assumption is essentially why I am paying them.

Al
1st June 2004, 23:53
I have my WOF done in Takapuna (Atomic) and the dude who does the test is very short...... I have a F650GS, so he does't even attempt to get onto the bike! :blah:

FROSTY
1st June 2004, 23:59
actually thinking about it I can't remember the last time anyone rode one of my bikes -even for a wof--not a bad attitude just they don't seem to bother

Kwaka-Kid
2nd June 2004, 06:29
huh? ive never had one of my bikes riden for a WOF? even for the VIN i just got on my VFR400, nobody took the beast for a ride? would i let them? cant see why not i guess... sorry i chcked NO one rides my bike, but didnt realise the WOF guys were meant to - maybe theyd pick up on heaps if they did!!! ;) but i do let close friends ride my bike ocasionally.
and yeah FF it does suck to see someone else ride your own bike better then you do :( its worse when they currently ride a 250 and have all of 12 months exp.

DEATH_INC.
2nd June 2004, 12:38
Actually, Death. Its a shame we don't have our turbo FXDX Harley anymore. We could have swapped turbos for a bit of a laugh.

Anyone who has not ridden a (proper) turbo (cx500s don't count) should do so pronto! Pro-cycles in Napier are selling our old Harley if anyone reckons they're tough enuff! :bleh:

Yeah,going from 50 - 200hp in 1000 rpm is pretty exciting orright.......
You got any pics/specs on the hog?

White trash
2nd June 2004, 16:43
I've searched high and low but can't find a single pic other than the one in Procycles ad in the latest M/Cycle trader.

Specs go something like this (for anyone who actually gives a shit about Harleys!)

2000 FXDX Superglide Sport. This is the model with fully tuneable suspension. The bike was a write off, then became a project.

The motor was increased from 88inchs (1450cc) to 95 inch (1550cc). Screamin' Seagull cams were added, the heads were flowed and ported. The factory Harley wheels were chucked in the bin and a set of TL1000 Suzuki items fitted to get some rubber on the road. This nescitated widening the swing arm and rear fender to fit the 170 section rear tyre. A chain drive conversion was added to make raising the gearing easier. A Screamin' Rooster fork brace finnished the chasis.

Chuck on a few coats of HD racing orange and black (same scheme as 883R) and you have a hot rod looking bike.

Last but not least, an Aerocharger ball bearing turbo with 2 stage boost controller and Holley 2 barrel carb and a fuck off loud pipe complete the picture.

While running it in on low boost (12psi) Johann was absolutely smoking Myles Cosgroves really nice GSXR1100 in acceleration. The Suzuki couldn't even stay in the slip stream. The speedo read really fast because of the high gearing we ran but it still ran the needle off the clock at 220kph. (That's fucken fast with "flat track" bars and no fairing!)

Once run in, it was dynoed at 184 reliable horse power at the tread on high boost.

I only got one opportunity to ride the thing but I would forgo ever owning any other motorcycle if I could have this one.

Even with stupidly high gearing, first was redundant. You immediatly shift to second then crack the throttle. On a 280kg machine it would slew sideways as the rear tyre just hazed then as the road speed caught up slightly with the wheel speed, the front would graciously rise up. Same in third, I shit you not. This was the only bike I've ridden that lifts the front AND spins the rear at the same time.

Cost to build? $80,000 to you sir.

Smoking any naturally aspirated Jappa in NZ? Priceless.

Thankyou for your time.

jrandom
2nd June 2004, 17:28
Cost to build? $80,000 to you sir.

Smoking any naturally aspirated Jappa in NZ? Priceless.

Jeepers.

Ever do a timed standing quarter? Would it have managed a 9, y'reckon?

Actually, while we're on a vaguely-related subject, I was admiring the fine photography and journalism in the latest issue of BRM today (well done to whoever managed to dress up the photo angles for that hack 'test rider' on the GSXR600) and noticed, tucked away in a corner, that the Honda Valkyrie had the best 100-0 stopping time out of a field that included, well, a bunch of stuff that you would expect to stop a helluva lot quicker.

Now, that just seems *wrong*. Yes, I know cruisers have low COGs, but it's still WRONG that a Valkyrie can outbrake a 'bus. Anyone with more knowledge than I care to comment?

White trash
3rd June 2004, 07:23
Simple physics. It's exactly the same reason a Triumph Rocket III will pull 1.2g of acceleration two up. Because it can.

A modern sports bike will turn inside out trying to accerlerate that fast. If you were to lower the hell out of an R1 or Gixxer, the Triumph wouldn't see which way they went.

We never had the turbo on the strip but it had a serious traction problem. It seems there is such a thing as too much power in some chassis. :blink:

Kickaha
3rd June 2004, 19:22
The only mechanic who ever rode my bike for a wof check was a Harley rider,I think it was because he wanted to ride a real bike for a change.

Big Dog
4th June 2004, 18:10
For those who care about their own safety:
I got a warrant on the 29 of april from WT testing station.
on the 2nd of june while having a tyre relplaced it was discovered that while my brakes were functioning properly they had been down to the metal for some time. Being a gradual loss of function I had not noticed. I sure do now.

Big Dog
4th June 2004, 18:11
Moral, never rely on a warrant or servicing, do your own checks!

NC
13th September 2004, 17:27
I have let 2 people ride my bikes....and they both crashed em...I don't like those odds :mad:

:mellow:

AMPS
14th September 2004, 10:04
There's also our Road Rage's, up to 124 cubes, 150 ft lbs torque and lighter than a Rocket 3.
Lou

Zed
14th September 2004, 10:36
...Who here will not let anyone else ride their bike -even for a WOF check?
The beauty of having a newish model bike is that you don't have to get a WOF so regularly.

But, like Firefight I havn't got a problem with other licensed riders riding my bike...with my permission of course! :mad:

dhunt
14th September 2004, 11:15
I don't mind other licensed riders riding my bike if I've seen there riding and I trust them to not bin my bike. Sometimes other rides see/hear things that you don't notice which could be potential problems.

David

Zed
14th September 2004, 11:21
I don't mind other licensed riders riding my bike if I've seen there riding and I trust them to not bin my bike. Sometimes other rides see/hear things that you don't notice which could be potential problems.

David
That's true, and there are some negative things (insurance, etc) that could be said about letting them on it, but there is something special about letting someone else ride your bike - you both get a buzz out of it (as he stands trembling looking at his watch and saying "what's taking him so long??")...hopefully the other guy lets you ride his machine if he's got one! :rolleyes:

TwoSeven
14th September 2004, 11:31
I used to use the 'you break it - you pay for it' rule - but often people cant pay for it. So now I just make sure they have insurance for it (or I do) and they can afford the excess.

I dont mind the wof guys doing the brake test since they have business insurance - if they dump the bike and mash the fairing - they have to pay.

They dont have to ride the bike - the folks I go to let me do it, they just watch - but then they know my bike and how well maintained I keep it. It is a rule that they guy checking the bike has to have a current bike license, so sometimes if there is just one on duty I help lift the bike to check the wheel bearings etc.

Having said that, I suspect for health and safety reasons you should not be in their workshop/workarea anyhow. Not sure if they have insurance to cover public injuries.

dangerous
13th October 2004, 19:13
Eh?
You gotta be shitting me! They've got to ride your bike to see if the brakes/speedo work and all sorts of other shit.
Na they dont....... I used to let the testing station guys test my bike out, all they do is ride it 2m forward then jam the brakes on, BUT one day a old bugger sent his foot into the seat cowel and marked it bad so since then never again.
I ride the thing 2m forward and shove the brakes on... both wheels lock up and the inspector is happy.

,it's just too bloody "dangerous"
does that mean that I can ride it then :whistle:

anyone who has not ridden a (proper) turbo (cx500s don't count)
:Oi: what the hell do ya mean...... my CX would kick the arse of a XJ and XN, the ZX would have it, but the CX650 would run even with a ZX ( I know cos a mate had one the only one in NZ & Oz at the time) and all the ZX's in Chch at the time blew up :rolleyes: valves etc

dangerous
13th October 2004, 19:30
Oh.... and FWIW only a few trusted people get to ride any of my bikes unless I've seen others ride and ride sensably then I may let them.

Jackrat
13th October 2004, 19:58
Moral, never rely on a warrant or servicing, do your own checks!

Yes,at the 1000 miler there is always a bike or two that don't pass scrutinering first time, even tho' some shop has just issued them a new warrent.The worse was a front tyre fitted back to front,he reckoned it didn't round corners quite like it used to. :wacko:
There'll be one or two this year but no worrys,we have LOTS of tools a couple of bike techs an a few know it alls. :msn-wink:

ManDownUnder
10th June 2005, 10:59
Eh?

How about damaging it, and NOT being insured - that's gotta hurt...
MDU

Ixion
10th June 2005, 12:05
Got a WOF for the Whale t'other day. Tester bod was a *real* old guy - just rides farm bikes he says. But he rode the Whale round their building and seemed pretty competant. I don't have an issue with it , they bend it, they're insured .

FWIW, VTNZ in Pukekohe seem a pretty good place to get a WOF. Checked things out that need to be checked, without being stupid or anal about petty points. Nice old geezer, too.

crazyxr250rider
11th June 2005, 17:46
any one rides my bike
as long as they by what they brake

Big Dog
12th June 2005, 17:40
any one rides my bike
as long as they by what they brake
If they have to buy what they brake how are they supposed to stop? :motu:
Masterful sales strategy if you work at a bike shop, unless you work in a major urban area? :rofl:

inlinefour
10th September 2005, 08:05
My good mates who have a licience are allways welcome to ride it, well that was when I had the 400. Now I dunno if I'll let anyone else ride the new bike when it arrives :devil2:

Sniper
10th September 2005, 08:07
Im getting a new bike, just so that I can teach the missus

cowboyz
10th September 2005, 09:16
its not that I dont let people ride my bike, its more that people never want to.
People I know, know how passionate I am about my bikes. Even my best friends know that if they put a scratch on my bike our friendship will be tested. My sister rode my ninja once up the road and back because she had never ridden a sportsbike before and wanted to see what it felt like. I dont think she got over 30k/hour and I was watching closely. WOF guys have never asked to ride my bike so its never been an issue. I would let them take it for a ride but they better have a one way flight out of NZ if they bring it back damaged. Actually, I think it is just safer for all if they just didn't bring it back at all if they damaged it.

crashe
10th September 2005, 09:20
At the testing station... They ask me to do all the stuff, like hop on it and ride, then brake....etc etc
In fact sometimes depending on who you get, they just ask me to try to roll the bike forward with my brakes on.
I even hold the bike over for them while they check the wheels, forks and shocks etc etc
They have never ever gotten on my bike.

Oh and NO-ONE else rides my bike.
Under my insurance policy, I am the only rider.
Which keeps the cost down heaps.

Flyingpony
11th September 2005, 14:12
At the testing station... They ask me to do all the stuff, like hop on it and ride, then brake....etc etc
In fact sometimes depending on who you get, they just ask me to try to roll the bike forward with my brakes on.
I even hold the bike over for them while they check the wheels, forks and shocks etc etc
They have never ever gotten on my bike.

Oh and NO-ONE else rides my bike.
Under my insurance policy, I am the only rider.
Which keeps the cost down heaps.
Reads like a carbon copy of a post I was about to write up.

froggyfrenchman
16th September 2005, 18:31

Gonna go have a gander at that tomorow