PDA

View Full Version : A question for parking wardens

stunz
11th July 2006, 15:24
or those in the know. I farked off from the orifice early today and as I was walking to my bike (or hobbling cos I'm on crutches now) at the end of the row, every one of the twenty bikes parked there had chalk marks on the rear tyres? Anyone know whats that about?

onearmedbandit
11th July 2006, 15:32
Time limit mate. They walk past, mark the tyre with chalk, note the time and carry on their evil way. After completing a loop they come back after the expired period, any bike still there with chalk on it's tyre hasn't moved. Time for a ticket.

froggyfrenchman
11th July 2006, 15:32
Ive had that a few times, im only guessing but i think its about the time you have been parked there, possibly coming to the end of allowed time?

crashe
11th July 2006, 15:33
Were you all parked in a "BIKE ONLY" spot?

Is there a sign up with "park for X amount of time only" there?

Maybe this parking warden is a newbie and is trying to impress the boss.

That don't happen up here in Auckland... :nya: :nya:

froggyfrenchman
OAB beat me to it.... cheers for the confirm

bobsmith
WTF. Bike parking spaces with time limits????? Where is this? and what's the time limit?

ZeroIndex
or those in the know. I farked off from the orifice early today and as I was walking to my bike (or hobbling cos I'm on crutches now) at the end of the row, every one of the twenty bikes parked there had chalk marks on the rear tyres? Anyone know whats that about?
yeah, if there, say a 60 minute free carpark, the warden will come along, check their watch, and start marking tyres.. if she comes back 60 minutes later, and there is still a car in the designated space with chalk on the tyre, then they get a ticket..

placidfemme
11th July 2006, 15:34
I didn't think bike parking spaces had time limits....

James Deuce
11th July 2006, 15:36
There's no time limit on bike parks in Wellington.

Unless they've institued one without signposting and buried the new reg in the Public Notices section of the Sunday paper two months ago.

Which they wouldn't be above doing, just to get their own back on the councillors that got the proposal to apply an hourly charge to bike parking thrown out.

stunz
11th July 2006, 15:36
Were you all parked in a "BIKE ONLY" spot?
Is there a sign up with "park for X amount of time only" there?

Its a bike park. I've been parking there every day for the last two plus years and I've never seen a chalk mark on any tyres in that time. If there is a new time limit, I guess I'd better take a closer look at the signs. Parly end of The Terrace.

stunz
13th July 2006, 13:17
Spoke with WCC this morning. No reason why the warden would have done this as bike parking is free. Suspect the warden was bored and thought he'd but the frights on us bikers :nono: who get to park in the CBD for free...:yes:

Swoop
13th July 2006, 13:26
A good bugger will always rub them off...

Gotta be careful, cause some meter nazis put multiple marks on a tyre...:gob: :scooter:

madboy
13th July 2006, 13:27
Could be the same warden/s that gave me tickets for no WOF/no Reg five times in the last two weeks. Which I find amusing considering the bike is both rego'd and WOF, AND they are displayed! Guess it's payback for fighting my last parking fines.

Your bike isn't the one I followed on the mway yesterday morning, splitting with a crutch in a holder on the left hand side? That looked so cool :first:

Beemer
13th July 2006, 13:29
Spoke with WCC this morning. No reason why the warden would have done this as bike parking is free. Suspect the warden was bored and thought he'd but the frights on us bikers :nono: who get to park in the CBD for free...:yes:

Probably couldn't be bothered doing any real work and facing harrassment from car drivers, so he/she decided to mark the bikes as proof they were actually doing something!

With regards to time limits, I'd say you wouldn't have a leg to stand on (or a crutch, in your case!) if you parked in a car park with a time limit and left it there all day though.

Hellraiser
13th July 2006, 13:36
Could we lay a complaint to the police about the warden tagging my tyre?

I some little snot nose kid did it we could.

stunz
13th July 2006, 14:52
Your bike isn't the one I followed on the mway yesterday morning, splitting with a crutch in a holder on the left hand side? That looked so cool :first:
I dont split :wait: ...yea, that was me. Lucky its only my right foot thats buggered otherwise I'd be on the train...:sick:

Flyingpony
13th July 2006, 15:19
WTF. Bike parking spaces with time limits????? Where is this? and what's the time limit?

I didn't think bike parking spaces had time limits....
Of course motorcycle parks have time limits, many of the ones down town Chch have a 30 minute limit. They're easy to spot because they're always empty and have the number 30 nearby the motorcycle image.

Therefore it always pays to double check the sign before parking up and naturally an all day spot is over on the next block, not too painful to walk the extra distance unless of course it's full, then you'll have to walk another block or two.

Has anybody actually got a wave out of the motorcycle riding parking warden? I've never.

Squeak the Rat
13th July 2006, 15:39
Go and draw chalk all over his shoes, see how he likes it....:bash:

GR81
13th July 2006, 15:40
Has anybody actually got a wave out of the motorcycle riding parking wardens? I've never.
put it on your 'to-do list' before you die? 'get wave from bike warden' haha

sunhuntin
13th July 2006, 20:31
no time limit on the ones in wangas, thought the ones on mainstreet are about the size of the disabled parks and generally filled with scooters. ive never seen chalk on tyres anywhere. i usually park a block over thats a longer park and hardly used....only ever seen it occupied by other bikes once or twice.

kiwisfly
13th July 2006, 22:38
Its a bike park. I've been parking there every day for the last two plus years and I've never seen a chalk mark on any tyres in that time. If there is a new time limit, I guess I'd better take a closer look at the signs. Parly end of The Terrace.
Which bike park are you talking about stunz?

stunz
15th July 2006, 15:28
Which bike park are you talking about stunz?
hey! the parks at the bottom end of the terrace outside the Colonial. hehe, I still havent actually had a real look at the sign, but as its mostly the same bikes that park there everyday, come rain hail or shine, dawn til dusk, and no-ones had a parking ticket for exceeding any time limits, I don't reckon there's actually a time limit on parking there at all.