PDA

View Full Version : Honda Today vs Suzuki SJ50 vs Chinese

Fred50
11th July 2006, 21:30
Hi, looking for feedback from people owning any of these. I'm looking to buy a 50cc scooter to go 2km on the flat to work for about $2,000. Honda and Suzuki seem the obvious choices with 4 stroke vs 2 but the Chinese retro look good and then of course there is a 150cc for same price on Trademe. Anyone been there and have some advice. (I sit at 100kg and have had many "real" bikes but want to wear a suit and not spend heaps. Thanks in advance

WINJA
11th July 2006, 21:38
im 20 kg more than you and i got a tr50 street magic , awesome bike , get a name brand if you want parts back up and reliability , check out my profile pic

ASKA
11th July 2006, 21:53
I m looking to buy the scooter 2
have u seen the sym scooters?
it is good scooter 2 and made in Taiwan.:second:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=31864
I saw it on interent and also saw somone selling it on tradme
cant rember how much is it i think around $1xx
I think it is pretty good desgin and convenient raincoat for scooter rider
I'll get one when I get scooter:scooter:

Filterer
12th July 2006, 09:12
I looked at scooters for a while before buying my bike, the chinese/taiwan generic scooters that are $2000 seem to go okay when you buy them but don't last very long.

In the end I got a Suzuki GN250 for $2500 that had only done 2600km.

There are some down sides being that you have to fork out $200 for you licence , and you really need a leather/condura jacket which most people tend to skip out on when on scooters and the GNs arent the sexiest or quickest bike.

On the plus motorcyclcling is way cooler :yes:
You can use it for other purposes rather than just commuting
It will hold its value so much better
More reliable for longer
Parts are dirt cheap for them because there are millions of them around
If you filter to the front of a Q at the lights I like to be able to pull away from the cars as qucik as possible in case they get any ideas about trying to hit me, not so easy on a scooter

So in reality if you can afford maybe closer to $3000 for a newish GN and some protective gear I would defintily go for a bike over the scooter

Just something to thinkabout

texmo
12th July 2006, 16:52
Filterer you can use a scooter for more than commuting go down to the mt wellington bucket track on the 23rd to see them race or the 10th national scooter rally next easter. As for holding their value I made 150% profit on my lambretta because it went up in value. and my gilera runner which was an auto scooter was faster than a gn250 on the 1/4 mile with a way better acceleration and being auto its a lot easyer to pull away from the lights....

Street Gerbil
12th July 2006, 21:22
got a tr50 street magic , awesome bike , get a name brand if you want parts back up and reliability
I second that. TR50 is an awesome little runner.

Have a look at this baby for example (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Scooters/auction-62808024.htm)

MidnightMike
12th July 2006, 21:28
Bro, si50's all the way. :rockon: Had one for about a year, great little thing, could do 70 down hill. :blip:

RantyDave
12th July 2006, 21:39
I had a Honda Today until some c*nt nicked it. Awesome little scooter. Never went wrong, very fuel efficient. Not fast, obviously, but OK for a 50.

Dave

Filterer
13th July 2006, 11:11
Filterer you can use a scooter for more than commuting go down to the mt wellington bucket track on the 23rd to see them race or the 10th national scooter rally next easter. As for holding their value I made 150% profit on my lambretta because it went up in value. and my gilera runner which was an auto scooter was faster than a gn250 on the 1/4 mile with a way better acceleration and being auto its a lot easyer to pull away from the lights....

But were either of those a cheap 50cc sub $2000 chinese model???
Racing is a complety different storey....
What i was trying to get at is that you can go on the motorway/open rd etc

Fred50
13th July 2006, 14:53
Thanks for the feedback, I just bought a Kymco Bug Pronto on the basis that I looked pretty stupid on the small Honda & Suzukis with my knees sticking out but the Pronto is physically bigger and seems a better all round package with disc brakes, better wheels & tyres etc. Cheers

texmo
13th July 2006, 18:28
But were either of those a cheap 50cc sub $2000 chinese model???
Racing is a complety different storey....
What i was trying to get at is that you can go on the motorway/open rd etc
I sold my gilera runner for $1500 it was a 2001, I went on a kiwibiker ride on it and beat over 1/2 the people. Ok its subs $2000 and is cheeper than a gn250 its itilain and is built to last. So its better than your gn250 in every way?

Filterer
13th July 2006, 21:09
I sold my gilera runner for $1500 it was a 2001, I went on a kiwibiker ride on it and beat over 1/2 the people. Ok its subs $2000 and is cheeper than a gn250 its itilain and is built to last. So its better than your gn250 in every way?

except its a scooter:nya:

Filterer
13th July 2006, 21:11
But really i assume that it was not a 50cc and it was geared in which case you need a bike license anyway??

Ixion
13th July 2006, 22:49
The man was looking for advice, folks, not a slanging match. :Playnice: The unnice stuff has been moved y'all knows whar.

Fred50
14th July 2006, 16:43
Thanks, and I got some advice. Some of you may not have noticed that I mentioned wearing a suit, not a good move on a gn250. I bought one of the first GN250s and rode it from Auckland to Christchurch and back, not the most comfortable trip I have ever done but I bought the cheapest, reliable, practicable bike I could find and at the time it was a GN250.

I've now clocked up 20km and think it is just great. Does exactly what I wanted as I'm not looking to hoon or go touring, just beat the bus and no parking hassles 5 days a week. I'll post an update after 500km or so re reliability etc. Cheers.

XTC
14th July 2006, 16:50
2km to work? What's wrong with a pushbike?

texmo
14th July 2006, 17:44
2km to work? What's wrong with a pushbike?
sweat.....

Filterer
15th July 2006, 08:03
lol yea i missed the comment at the bottom saying you were expereinced with bikes but didn't want one so you could wear a suit

my bad

Fred50
6th August 2006, 19:36
Three weeks on and almost half way to my first service. So far $2 per week for gas and will do 60kph on the flat (with my 100kg) so keeps up with "rush hour traffic" (Christchurch doesn't really have a rush hour!!). I'm wrapped as it is physically bigger so my knees don't stick out and as it loosens up it is going quite well. Under seat holds helmet gloves etc . More after first service.

marty
6th August 2006, 19:49
2k to work and 100kg? walk ya fat &%$#

Fred50
6th August 2006, 20:06
Well smart Ase I do walk and I've lost over 20kg but to get to work wearing a suit and looking respectable I have chosen to use a piddly Ase little scooter and it works just fine. May the fleas of a thousand camels etc, what I offered was an observation on the reality of using a scooter for those contemplating doing the same, not for some loser to be childish and stupid.

cynna
16th September 2006, 04:14
i brought a cpi oliver city scooter to go to work 9km each way. made in taiwan i think - no problems so far except it has been recalled to get the steering assembly changed!!!!!

The Wop
16th September 2006, 10:05
Yeah, I would feel really confident with a scooter that could dump me on my face!! Steer clear of CRAP!! You risk/invest far more of your life on a bike/scooter than a car, don't make the mistake of spending cheap.

Pogo2
16th September 2006, 17:55
Thanks for the feedback, I just bought a Kymco Bug Pronto on the basis that I looked pretty stupid on the small Honda & Suzukis with my knees sticking out but the Pronto is physically bigger and seems a better all round package with disc brakes, better wheels & tyres etc. Cheers

Hi Fred50

Haven't heard or seen that brand. Any chance of a photo of your new steed?

Cheers
:scooter:

Fred50
21st September 2006, 20:41
Hi try this link
http://www.cityscooters.co.nz/other.htm
and
http://www.kymco.com.au/pronto.htm

Goes well hits 65km ok on the flat with the regulator thing removed.

Sorry haven't visited here for a while hope this helps you.

Pogo2
22nd September 2006, 18:52
Thanks for your reply. They all look pretty good. I like the look of the 250 Hawk. Any idea of what that costs?

Cheers