PDA

View Full Version : Swingarm pivot

lb99
12th July 2006, 13:44
why does the swing arm pivot on my Z200 keep coming loose?
Tighten it up, ride 10k, tighten it up again.
It is also the rear engine mount(I think!) and it has a locknut on it.
I did try to remove the pivot to inspect the bushes but it was stuck tight, what could be the cause of this phenomonen?

zarinat
19th July 2006, 22:24
Check this- bounce up & down on the bike while someone looks at the end of the bolt- is it moving? If it is then probably the bearing is seized to the bush, which the bolt runs through.... so whats happening is the bolt is trying to be the bearing, & not doing a good job of it, so the bolt rotates with the swing arm , nut loosens & it all goes bad from there. Seen it heaps on offroad bikes & a few older road bikes. The only fix is to replace the lot- seals & all, probably the bolt too if it has signs of grooving. This can be a MAJOR if you cant get the swing arm bolt out. I have had to put a bike in a press once- & another on its side in a big drill press- this is a job that defys imagination if its totally seized. Hope it easy for you to get the bolt out.

Wired1
20th July 2006, 09:09
Yep I've just been through this on my current XV project. The swingarm pivot bolt had rusted solid in the bush and nothing was moving. With a lot of CRC I managed to get the bolt undone but it bent the swingarm out as the bush rusted to the bolt pushed it out! I ended up cutting the bolt off with the angle grinder and I am now still trying to find another pivot bolt. Most of these parts are still available new so don't stress too much if you have to cut it out. My pivot bolt - bush looks like one bit of metal.

zarinat
21st July 2006, 11:07
What model XV? Can probably help with a replacement- need Frame #

Now on to the seized bolt- Try a Copper faced Mallet & plenty of CRC over a couple of days. If this doesnt work, you could do 3 things, 1: Press it out, 2: Grind the head off, or 3: the best way- Drill out the bolt. Weve done all 3 & theres no easy way if its totally seized but drilling does the least damage.

lb99
22nd July 2006, 09:04
Check this- bounce up & down on the bike while someone looks at the end of the bolt- is it moving? If it is then probably the bearing is seized to the bush, which the bolt runs through.... so whats happening is the bolt is trying to be the bearing, & not doing a good job of it, so the bolt rotates with the swing arm , nut loosens & it all goes bad from there. Seen it heaps on offroad bikes & a few older road bikes. The only fix is to replace the lot- seals & all, probably the bolt too if it has signs of grooving. This can be a MAJOR if you cant get the swing arm bolt out. I have had to put a bike in a press once- & another on its side in a big drill press- this is a job that defys imagination if its totally seized. Hope it easy for you to get the bolt out.

I soaked it in crc for a few days then I shocked the bastard with the impact wrench, eventually the bolt began to turn, I still couldnt get it out but at least the pivot is free of the swingarm now, I done the nut up untill the swingarm play felt right, and it hasn't come loose since:yes:

Wired1
22nd July 2006, 16:54
So what's moving now? is the swingarm pivot bolt still fused to the bush and the whole arrangement moving inside the bearings? Might be OK but it may also give you problems later on. I think I'd want to keep going until it's all free again.

lb99
7th May 2007, 15:41
Gotcha ya bastard!!!!

Woohoo, I finally got that fugging bolt out, the motor is out now awaiting a replacement, so I applied heat to the swing-arm, and with a bit of gentle persuasion, I finally freed the bolt from captivity, I wrecked the nut, but I can get another one of those the bolt itself looks to be chrome or stainless, once I scraped the gunk off it came up really nice, now to remove the bushes, and inspect.......stoked.

I decided to paint the swing-arm, so I cranked up the stereo and began to strip it down, but I got carried away and the whole frame stands before me stripped bare except for the VIN -plate, all ready to paint. :yes: