PDA

View Full Version : Chain wax

Stormer
21st April 2003, 17:48
Which is better, chain wax or good ol` chain oil (spray can) ?

I`ve been using chain wax, but it still flings off the chain,although not as much as chain oil.

How often do you lube/spray your chain?

wkid_one
21st April 2003, 18:09
I find the Belray Chain Lube or Kryotech Chain Wax the best to use myself. 

What?
22nd April 2003, 20:05
I use Maxima wax - have done for years. It does fling off, but not much, and on gravel roads the chain stays cleaner than with oils.

Have yet to try the new super clean Bel Ray stuff, but I hear it is excellent aesthetically if slightly lacking in lubricity. What do you want - clean and shiny, or an extra couple of thousand K's out of your chain?:D

Kwaka-Kid
22nd April 2003, 21:05
i use both Motul and MotorEx chain Lubes, srapy cans, they are good, stay on well enough, and lube the chain once a week, even tho i was advised to do so every 2nd ride to work in the bad rain :S strange.

twistymover
23rd April 2003, 01:13
I use ''Silkolene Chain Gel''.I got it because it had a good writeup. It says on the label it is o-ring friendly and to add sparingly to the inside of the chain only. I think this is the important point to remember with all of the lubricants. With the links having their own lubrication, there is only need for a small amount. I've found the best way to achieve this is to spray it into a plastic cup first, then dab a tiny amount onto the inside of each link as I turn the wheel. I do this every 1500 kms and there hasn't been any fling- off.

Kwaka-Kid
23rd April 2003, 05:24
whoa, i spot a rich man, an O-Ring chain? flash.

Mine was once and oring chain.. now it just has lots of rust coming out from around there ;) and is not an oring chain :) so i lube the f-outta it. :D

MikeL
23rd April 2003, 20:42
Originally posted by twistymover
spray it into a plastic cup first, then dab a tiny amount onto the inside of each link as I turn the wheel. I do this every 1500 kms

First, it seems very time-consuming compared to spraying directly onto the chain, and second, 1500km seems a bit long between lubes.
When I got my bike, having absolutely no idea of the right way to do it, and having bought a can of lube that described in 7 different languages all the benefits of using the product but gave no hint of how to actually apply it apart from reminding me to shake the can vigorously, I reasoned that if a little lube is a good thing, a lot of lube must be even better, so applied it liberally, spraying directly onto the inside of the chain as it left the rear sprocket. Needless to say it ended up over most of the bike, so since then I've been a bit more stingy with it. Still don't know what is the optimum amount, but I must be doing it vaguely right as the chain and sprockets don't seem to have worn much in 11,000 km. But I have lubed it much more frequently than 1500 km, more like 500-800. BTW I always clean the chain first, using either kero or WD40 and a soft bristle brush + rag, because I read somewhere that I should. Is it really necessary??

Kwaka-Kid
23rd April 2003, 21:02
jesus christ! i cleaned my chain once and that only coz its so badly worn..

but doing a thourught clean every 500-800km?!?!

thats like, every 2nd or 3rd fillup! sounds like heaps of work... ?

and those k's clock up pretty quick when you ride to work and back each day clocking over 30km... then weekend rides of a tank or so :S

MikeL
23rd April 2003, 21:27
Originally posted by Kwaka-Kid
sounds like heaps of work... ?

and those k's clock up pretty quick when you ride to work and back each day clocking over 30km... then weekend rides of a tank or so :S

Well, for me it comes down to once a week or every 10 days. It takes me about 15 minutes, and most of that time is cleaning...
Seems a reasonable investment if it keeps the chain from wearing prematurely - and I suppose I also look on it as a safety issue. I don't know how often neglected chains break at high speed, but I would imagine that the consequences could be pretty horrific.

twistymover
24th April 2003, 02:55
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kwaka-Kid
[B]whoa, i spot a rich man, an O-Ring chain? flash.

Once I was rich Kwaka, then I bought my bike.My O-ring chain is the one the bike came with. I thought all bikes had O-ring chains these days?

twistymover
24th April 2003, 03:37
Originally posted by MikeL
But I have lubed it much more frequently than 1500 km, more like 500-800. BTW I always clean the chain first, using either kero or WD40 and a soft bristle brush + rag, because I read somewhere that I should. Is it really necessary?? [/B]

Fair enough about the length of time.I guess the more you lube it the longer it'll last. I looked in my bike's handbook and it says to lube every 1000 kms, but it still seems to have plenty of lube at those kms so I extend it to 1500kms.The handbook also says to wipe dirt off the chain with a cloth before lubing.Personally I wouldn't use WD40 for cleaning because, being penetrating, I'd be afraid of it getting into the O-rings and disolving the grease. But if you haven't got an o-ring chain,then as long as it's thoroughly dry of kero or WD40 before lubing, I think that your way is probably the best and your chain should last a hell of a long time.

Kwaka-Kid
24th April 2003, 06:42
I was actually advised to use CRC/WD40, however im not sure on kerosene, ive never really used it, wouldnt that eat the little rubber babies? The little rubber babies that i swear cost more then a real one :S

Coldkiwi
24th April 2003, 12:21
I think I was told kero was the good on an o-ring. Having said that, I haven't cleaned it for a while (gotta get me one of those grnge brushes from motomail!).

Should I not be lubing the outside as well? I put a small stream on both sides on both edges. Is this excessive? 

I actually think o-rings are better value. I put a standard chain on my 250 for a short while and it just stretched like a bastard!! I had to re-tighten it every week whereas my o-rings often go for a month or more without needing adjusting. The other upshot of this is you don't hook the sprockets as fast! So in terms of long term value for money they'd  be at least even with a standard and a lot less annoying

What?
24th April 2003, 20:06
I have always cleaned my chains with kerosine on a very regular basis- like at least once per thousand K's. I have also never had an o-ring chain die at less than 25,000 K's, and that includes those on big singles (F650, XT550 & 600) which are famous for their ability to wreck chains.

Likewise, non-sealed chains have been cleaned with kero, but there is a lot of drying time involved before boiling in oil etc. I would never have another unsealed chain (o-ring sealed chains actually work out cheaper anyway).:done:

Kwaka-Kid
25th April 2003, 00:06
What are you on about?  Bloody Yamaha Singles couldnt produce enough power to be any harsher on a chain then a Honda Q50 :P bahaha :)

sorry, just thought id take a dig @ all them yammies :P  Why would you own Yamaha singles.. when Honda Made better ones :P

Im starting to create a few Foes here aint i? :P     - please dont take offence to my comments mate :D

babyB
13th May 2003, 23:49
I too use the  Krytech wax on my GSF. havent had any problems with it over the last 3yrs.

Dose anyone know how Krytac holds up under racing conditions? ive cleand my CBR400 chain and looking to use Kryech, any recomdations?