PDA

View Full Version : computer techie question...

ching_ching
1st June 2004, 10:45
Howzit... this is going out to all you IT peeps, computer boffins, et al.

I've got a prob.

A couple of days ago when I switched my comp on and logged on, neither my browser nor my email client could recognise that there was a legitimate connection. The error message that came up said that my home page could not be found and suggested I manually start a connection. Ditto with my email client and said that it couldn't connect to the ole post office at Slingshot. Restarted, didn't work. Use Mozilla 1.6 and it's email client... thought this might be the prob so reverted back to my earlier browser / client pair (Mozilla Firebird and Outlook Express)... no go.
Decided to try a system restore (I run Win XP). Had to go back about over a week ago to obtain a successful system restore that would allow me to log on and view the Net. But get this... each time I Switched Off then Switched On, the prob came back. It's as if actually switching off the computer resets something that doesn't allow any progs to see that there is a valid Net connection (problem does not persist if I put system into hibernation... I use a HP notebook). Is it a computer goobie / virus?

Any ideas my excessively grey-mattered, bike riding brethren?

Waiting for replies.

ching_ching

Antallica
1st June 2004, 11:16
Yeah something sounds borked.... System Restore is the devil though, no surprise it didn't work properly.

What net connection do you have?
If it's 56k then try recreating the connection.

ching_ching
1st June 2004, 12:35
Yeah something sounds borked.... System Restore is the devil though, no surprise it didn't work properly.

What net connection do you have?
If it's 56k then try recreating the connection.

Hi Antallica,

Yep have tried deleting then recreating the Slingshot connection but to no avail. Problem persisted until I tried said system restore. Just can't Log Out and turn computer off that's all.
Any ideas or know someplace, someone I can ask?

Cheers

ching_ching

phase
1st June 2004, 16:21
Is there an Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections type area where you can configure default connection / proxy settings etc. Check in there.

I don't use Mozilla, so I can't tell you exactly where to look, but I can't imagine it's hard to find.

P.S. Get some spyware removal tools.

danb
1st June 2004, 21:57
HP = SHIT :argh: :brick: :brick: :angry2: :angry2:

HP has got to be the worst bloody bullshit you could buy. (Hyper Pathetic :Punk: )

As for doing computer cources at mit and find them so easy and comming top of the class here is what I would do...

These options I give you to try in this order as followed,

1) Download and install Lavasoft Ad-Adware - removes any shit that’s is tacking over you Internet connection. http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ Give your computer a complete scan and delete everything it finds, It wont delete anything that is important etc but it may stop Kazaa from working (as its full of crap that sends stuff about your computer and personal details)

2) Run your antivirus software - if you don’t have any go onto the next step

3) If you still have Internet Explorer - Open it and go Tools -> Internet Options -> Delete Cookies and Delete Files to clear any temp Internet files

4) Go Start -> Control Panel -> Add / Remove Programs and uninstall any programs that you may have installed along the way since you have had your laptop and that you don’t use anymore.

5) Well if you have to read this line you are in shit streak. - HP comes with quick restore cd's that resets your computer back to the original way it came out of the factory, Read the instructions on how to do this as im sure its different to how my Compaq laptop is.... PLEASE NOTE: This usually deletes (Formats) your hard drive so make sure you backup all your important stuff!!!

6) If that still doesn’t work - …………. Buy another computer, its HP shit anyway!!!

EVERYONE should DO steps 1, 2 and 3 on a regular go get rid of the unnecessary from your computer that you don’t want hanging around

There that me done... :done: :done: :done: :done:

Antallica
1st June 2004, 23:12
What I would suggest to a usual customer is save as much data as you can and nuke the thing and start again. Making sure you have SP1 and all the neccesary patches before you ever log onto the net.

ching_ching
2nd June 2004, 06:52
Hey peeps,

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Time to spend some time on this bloody machine and try these things. Hopefully my next post on this thread will be a happy one.

Brmm, brmm.

ching_ching

ching_ching
2nd June 2004, 08:36
Hey peeps,

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Time to spend some time on this bloody machine and try these things. Hopefully my next post on this thread will be a happy one.

Brmm, brmm.

ching_ching

Thanks to Antallica, DanB and Phase for their replies and suggestions.

DanB, tried what you suggested. Downloaded AdAware (free version of course) seems to suss out quite a lot. Have been using another Spyware prog, Spybot but seems to perform better than this.

Scanned my whole system using AVG Antivirus. Logged off and Windows Washer kicked in eliminating temp files and all the other shit. Switched off, muttered a prayer to the God of Computers and Motorcycles than switched on again. Logged on to Net and all good.

After all that, fu*$ed if I know exactly what was wrong. But am glad things are pretty much back to normal.

Thanks again peeps.

Brrmmm, brrmmm.

ching_ching

danb
4th June 2004, 19:27
Thanks to Antallica, DanB and Phase for their replies and suggestions.

DanB, tried what you suggested. Downloaded AdAware (free version of course) seems to suss out quite a lot. Have been using another Spyware prog, Spybot but seems to perform better than this.

Scanned my whole system using AVG Antivirus. Logged off and Windows Washer kicked in eliminating temp files and all the other shit. Switched off, muttered a prayer to the God of Computers and Motorcycles than switched on again. Logged on to Net and all good.

After all that, fu*$ed if I know exactly what was wrong. But am glad things are pretty much back to normal.

Thanks again peeps.

Brrmmm, brrmmm.

ching_ching

Spyware... the shit thats as bad a viruses :doh: :doh:
Least you are back on you feet again - The Barsteds that make all this fucken shit that get on you compuer make it very hard to get rid of it. Half the darn time you cant get your computer back to 100% again.

I have an image of all my Machines and I ghost the images over my network. All my file are stored on 1 Centeral Server so its not as bad about loosing data. All my documents get stored on the server when i log off etc.

Ghost Lemur
4th June 2004, 19:33
Spyware... the shit thats as bad a viruses :doh: :doh:
Least you are back on you feet again - The Barsteds that make all this fucken shit that get on you compuer make it very hard to get rid of it. Half the darn time you cant get your computer back to 100% again.

I have an image of all my Machines and I ghost the images over my network. All my file are stored on 1 Centeral Server so its not as bad about loosing data. All my documents get stored on the server when i log off etc.

I hear ya..

*hugs Linux*

:Punk:

danb
4th June 2004, 20:57
I hear ya..

*hugs Linux*

:Punk:

Linux.... :sick: :puke: :kick: :brick: :shake: :shit: :mad: :moon: :no:
Enough Said