PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearing problem?? (fxr150)

m00sie
12th July 2006, 22:17
Ok youll have to forgive my noobiness and crappy explanation, but my bike is making this weird swish-swish-swish noise lol thought it might be a loose chain, but it looks alright...could it be a wheel bearing problem?

98tls
12th July 2006, 22:21
is the chain lubed?give it a good coating and see if it goes away.

m00sie
12th July 2006, 22:33
will do :) thanks

avgas
12th July 2006, 22:46
Also check disc's and pads. If it turns into a screech screech - u need pads.

bobsmith
13th July 2006, 08:48
a loose chain,

Sounds like a tight chain... urrr I mean tight spots in chain, try to inspect the rollers in the chain and see if you can see any rust, like others said it may be the brake disc...

or it could be worn or misaligned sprokets. (in case of misaligned sprokets you just need to re-align the back wheel I think)

turn the wheel and see what the frequency of the sound is...., is it coming once every turn of the back wheel at the same point? (which would point to something to do with the rear wheel such as rear sproket, rear brake disc, etc...) or does it come more frequently? (which would point to the chain, front sproket, or maybe even the gear box (probably not...))

Hope this helps

FROSTY
15th July 2006, 19:48
could be the holes in the disks passing by the pads

imdying
15th July 2006, 21:25
Yep, check the chain for tight (rooted) spots before you go any further. Don't want it pulling on the output shaft and rooting the gearbox bearings :no:

After that, wheel bearings are 1 minute to check.

What happens if you pull in the clutch and coast, noise still there?

slimyxylofone
18th July 2006, 20:29
I have no idea what your problem is but may be able to help with diagnosing a wheel bearing problem. You have a problem with bearings if the wheel moves side to side pivoting at the centre of the wheel, even a few mm. You have a spacer problem if the wheel moves back and foward. Spacers sit between the bearings and axel (I think) to stop the wheel moving around.

sometimes you'll have both a missing spacer and fucked bearings, like I did a month ago. I didn't have swishing sound though, just shaky feeling in corners.

Hope you get the prob sorted