PDA

View Full Version : Five years for man who caused fatal oil slick

Bob
13th July 2006, 00:43
A Pennsylvania man who failed to report an oil slick he left is facing five years in prison for involuntary manslaughter.

Donald Franklin, 49, left an oil slick on Route 42, which caused a fatal accident when a female motorcyclist lost control and crashed.

Franklin will be sentenced at a later date.

Lou Girardin
13th July 2006, 08:32
There are some things the Merkins do well. In NZ he'd get a little fine.

Squeak the Rat
13th July 2006, 08:38
It'd be societies fault.

It was good to see in a paper this morning that the Auckland City Council is going to fine contracting companies, builders etc that don't sweep up dirt off the road.

This excellent move is nothing to do with preventing deaths on the road, it's so mud doesn't get into the stormwater system and go out to sea......

bobsmith
13th July 2006, 08:41
In NZ he'd never be found, because the officers attending the accident would automatically say, "speed was the leading factor", and there would be no further investigation about it and no enquiry about the oil slick (if they even notice it or clean it up). I bet after a few more people crash at the same spot, they would just lower the speed limit to make it "safer"

James Deuce
13th July 2006, 08:49
There are some things the Merkins do well. In NZ he'd get a little fine.

Yeah right. He wouldn't have been caught in the first place.

beyond
13th July 2006, 08:53
It'd be societies fault.

It was good to see in a paper this morning that the Auckland City Council is going to fine contracting companies, builders etc that don't sweep up dirt off the road.

This excellent move is nothing to do with preventing deaths on the road, it's so mud doesn't get into the stormwater system and go out to sea......

Yeah, apparently it's okay for blood to go down the drain and out to sea. :(
You gotta remember dirt is more important than a downed biker.

frogfeaturesFZR
13th July 2006, 09:18
So I guess we rate below soil and stuff huh ? Nice to feel wanted !:nya:

scumdog
13th July 2006, 09:32
In NZ he'd never be found, because the officers attending the accident would automatically say, "speed was the leading factor", and there would be no further investigation about it and no enquiry about the oil slick (if they even notice it or clean it up). I bet after a few more people crash at the same spot, they would just lower the speed limit to make it "safer"

Hmmm, such a cynical comment from a 250 rider, I wonder how bitter and twisted he'll be when he's old??:wait:

James Deuce
13th July 2006, 09:33
He's right though SD, which is sad.

bobsmith
13th July 2006, 09:35
Hmmm, such a cynical comment from a 250 rider, I wonder how bitter and twisted he'll be when he's old??:wait:

You've only seen the shadow of how bitter I am.... I can bet ya, you wouldn't want to know me when I get older....

Lou Girardin
13th July 2006, 09:52
Yeah right. He wouldn't have been caught in the first place.

Will you please stop saying things I should've thought of?

scumdog
13th July 2006, 10:01
It's true!
I personaly know of 3 or 4 hundred people that have left oil slicks that have cause fatal crashes and they got away with it.:rolleyes:

scumdog
13th July 2006, 10:03
You've only seen the shadow of how bitter I am.... I can bet ya, you wouldn't want to know me when I get older....

Sheesh, you'll REALLY be the life and soul of the party by then eh??:oi-grr:

bobsmith
13th July 2006, 10:18
Sheesh, you'll REALLY be the life and soul of the party by then eh??:oi-grr:

I hate parties, you can only stand so many idiots in one place.....

Squeak the Rat
13th July 2006, 10:20
It's true!
I personaly know of 3 or 4 hundred people that have left oil slicks
Harley riders and their helmets.....

eliot-ness
13th July 2006, 10:50

A report in the 'Rodney Times' a couple of years back. An elderly driver and his wife were injured when their car went out of control on a patch of diesel oil on Schedeways hill north of Orewa. The police officer who attended the accident said.
"The driver may face a charge of careless driving." I don't remember the driver being charged but sometimes cynicism is justified.

scumdog
13th July 2006, 12:37
I hate parties, you can only stand so many idiots in one place.....

Why? 'Cos you wouldn't stand out??:nya: :bleh: :lol: :rofl: :whistle: