PDA

View Full Version : Licencing question

aff-man
13th July 2006, 18:12
Ok so my uncle has been living here for about 5 years and wants to get back into biking. Back in saffa land he had a full motorcycle licence.

People at the AA were muppets so he is just trying to find out what he has to do to get a full licence. Is there some sort of switch over test or something becuase he really does not want to go throught he whole licence system.

Any help would be great or who to contact (preferably non-muppets)

Cheers

dhunt
13th July 2006, 20:22
Ok so my uncle has been living here for about 5 years and wants to get back into biking. Back in saffa land he had a full motorcycle licence.

People at the AA were muppets so he is just trying to find out what he has to do to get a full licence. Is there some sort of switch over test or something becuase he really does not want to go throught he whole licence system.

Any help would be great or who to contact (preferably non-muppets)

Cheers
Is his license still valid? I think you'll find if it is, he would have to sit the theory test and full pratical. Which still costs lots of $$$$ but you get a full straight away. After you sit the theory they give u a temp full till you sit the pratical.

limbimtimwim
13th July 2006, 23:19
I assume 'saffa land' is South Africa.

You DO NOT have to go to the AA. You have a choice. I am not saying the AA are the worst, but if they muck you around, try someone else. See: http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/licensing/getting-licence/where.html

Does everyone sit the practical test?

No. Some countries require similar driving skills and have similar licensing systems to New Zealand's. The law recognises that drivers from these countries usually have adequate driving skills, and they may not have to sit the practical driving test.

You don't have to sit the practical test if:
* you have a licence from Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom or the United States of America, and
* your licence is current (or has expired within the past 12 months), and
* you've held that licence for more than two years.