PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki GPX 1st Gear Switch

ZeroIndex
13th July 2006, 21:21
Hey, just got a GPX250, and it is rather annoying (and almost impossible) to get it into 1st gear from 2nd or neutral.. is there someone in Hamilton that can have a look at it for me, or anyone that can give me some decent advice?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

SwanTiger
13th July 2006, 21:50
must be that washer mark dropped jamming it up :nya:

chickenfunkstar
13th July 2006, 22:09
Have you tried moving foward a bit and then trying or trying when the bike is rolling slightly? This usually works for me. Also the type of oil which I use has a significant effect on the 'slickness' of the gear box.

ZeroIndex
13th July 2006, 22:35
Have you tried moving foward a bit and then trying or trying when the bike is rolling slightly? This usually works for me. Also the type of oil which I use has a significant effect on the 'slickness' of the gear box.
sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.. feels really stupid sitting at a roundabout trying to go, and the bike isn't in gear..

DMNTD
13th July 2006, 22:55
Apart from what has already been suggested try putting some "weight" on it using the clutch whilst it's in say 2nd then try to click down(clutch engaged) into 1st,not hard but quick.
Ok I'm no bike mechanic but I does work in cages with bollix gearboxes.

ZeroIndex
13th July 2006, 23:08
Apart from what has already been suggested try putting some "weight" on it using the clutch whilst it's in say 2nd then try to click down(clutch engaged) into 1st,not hard but quick.
Ok I'm no bike mechanic but I does work in cages with bollix gearboxes.
ok, thanks, will try that tomorrow..

James Deuce
14th July 2006, 00:27
Kawasaki's Positive Neutral Finder at work.

Kickaha
14th July 2006, 08:04
Kawasaki's Positive Neutral Finder at work.

Which are absolute shyte when they get worn and cause exactly the problem described

If it's the same system they use in the bigger motors, then short of a gearbox strip down there's not much you can do about it

Sketchy_Racer
14th July 2006, 11:00
whoo.

Im glad my "positive neutral finder" shit still works!!.

I find it really cool when they do work. None of this trying to get neutral shit just into first then bang - neutral!!

How do you find the GPX ??

Mine has a aftermarket Yoshimurra full system and K&N airfilters.
Real throaty sound!! (and fucking loud!)

Just got my new camchain (the old one is rattly) and im gonna do it this weekend.

ZeroIndex
14th July 2006, 18:09
whoo.

Im glad my "positive neutral finder" shit still works!!.

I find it really cool when they do work. None of this trying to get neutral shit just into first then bang - neutral!!

How do you find the GPX ??

Mine has a aftermarket Yoshimurra full system and K&N airfilters.
Real throaty sound!! (and fucking loud!)

Just got my new camchain (the old one is rattly) and im gonna do it this weekend.
moving up from the Kinetic, it's a real blast :) a bit quiter, but at least it sounds like a 'real' motorbike now :) hehe 14k redline :D

ZeroIndex
14th July 2006, 18:10
Which are absolute shyte when they get worn and cause exactly the problem described

If it's the same system they use in the bigger motors, then short of a gearbox strip down there's not much you can do about it
please.. you gotta tell me that there's an easier way?

Kickaha
14th July 2006, 18:18
please.. you gotta tell me that there's an easier way?

there is, you sell it and by another bike :yes:

bladez
14th July 2006, 18:23
there is, you sell it and by another bike :yes:hmmmm maybe a honda :nya: always find neutral when ya dont want it like at high speeds :gob: got to lift foot higher

ZeroIndex
14th July 2006, 18:31
there is, you sell it and by another bike :yes:
i've only had it for one day..

Sketchy_Racer
14th July 2006, 18:43
im waiting for pics

ZeroIndex
14th July 2006, 18:53
im waiting for pics
haha.. me too.. i'm gonna have to find some time to give it an 'updated' look

imdying
15th July 2006, 13:22
Some old (read worn out) bikes I've ridden found neutral easier with a wee blip when you slip it up. Hope that helps :)

ZeroIndex
15th July 2006, 16:20
Some old (read worn out) bikes I've ridden found neutral easier with a wee blip when you slip it up. Hope that helps :)
doesn't really help.. the only problem with neutral, is getting it out of that, and into 1st..

imdying
15th July 2006, 21:27
Heh, I thought I read that first time round, I knew I should've gone back and checked!

In that case, the box is 'unhappy'. They're suprisingly cheap to have the dogs undercut and the selector forks built up on if you take the bits out yourself :)

ZeroIndex
15th July 2006, 21:49
Heh, I thought I read that first time round, I knew I should've gone back and checked!

In that case, the box is 'unhappy'. They're suprisingly cheap to have the dogs undercut and the selector forks built up on if you take the bits out yourself :)
sweet, I shall look into that :) thanks

skidMark
15th July 2006, 22:27
other than that is my dearly beloved eleanor going good?

ZeroIndex
15th July 2006, 23:10
other than that is my dearly beloved eleanor going good?
lots of fun.. oh, and update your profile.. (bikes:)