PDA

View Full Version : Ninety Mile Beach??

Zukin
14th July 2006, 11:33
Howdy

Now not that I am a keen beach rider for obvious reasons (sand and salt), what is the beach actually like?
I will be up that way and thought that as its on my to do list, I might as well do it on the bike.

Now what I want to know is can it be riden at low tide only? and how far down the beach can your ride?
I will be entering from the top at Te Paki

I look forward to your info and experiences

Cheers

Swoop
14th July 2006, 11:44
Since it is legally a "road", you might have to keep a lookout for speed cameras and the :Police: :Police: .

Just remember that speed kills. (Would Sir prefer a Tui with that?)

sAsLEX
14th July 2006, 11:50
Since it is legally a "road", you might have to keep a lookout for speed cameras and the :Police: :Police: .

Just remember that speed kills. (Would Sir prefer a Tui with that?)

nah just watch out for asians flipping their remuera tractors

Warr
14th July 2006, 11:52
Yes did a South > North and out at the TePaki stream 2 up and luggage on my XJ900. Was sweet but a LONG way. As for the tide if you are on your XR you should be cool. But better to there with the tide outish, theres more room to ride :)

dnos
14th July 2006, 11:57
yep not as fun when tide is all the way in. but from te paki you can go all the way down to ahipara. and there are lots of fun dunes to play in along the way. but yes it is a road so watch out for cops and tourist buses. unfortunately its winter so less chance of bikinis

Zukin
14th July 2006, 12:09
Haha

We will be up there in Feb, so outside of school holidays, but at a guess I would think it will still be busy?

How long approx to ride down it, at a comfortable, safe speed?

sAsLEX
14th July 2006, 12:20
Haha

We will be up there in Feb, so outside of school holidays, but at a guess I would think it will still be busy?

How long approx to ride down it, at a comfortable, safe speed?

top speed of your xr would be fine, just watch the colour of the sand for soft patches etc

F5 Dave
14th July 2006, 12:33
Takes a while to ride it, we last did it in mid summer 2-up on a Suz GS1100. We dropped our gear at the hotel/pub in Kaitaia & rode up wearing jeans etc (missus was in a Bikini on the beach). You don’t go that fast.

We stopped ½ way along & had a picnic. Only one car passed during lunch. On a sunny Saturday.

It is a glorious feeling being so isolated. You see a spot in the distance. Squint, hmm, vehicle. Coming this way. Hmmm, it’s a bus. Yeah it is. Think I’ll go this side of him. Eventually pass by. Missus waves.

You can almost feel the hermetically sealed tourists peering out of their air-conditioned shell & thinking “He’s living life. We’re just spectating”.

Up the stream at the far end isn’t too bad on an enormous roadbike (real adventure touring Brucie!). Carry on once on road & see the sea parting at the tip of the island.

I've cropped the missus out of the pic as she would never forgive me. Next one is a little further up past the stream.

XTC
14th July 2006, 12:38
Oh and it's not 90 miles long either.....

Macktheknife
14th July 2006, 12:38
Gotta do it, remember there is quicksand along the way and dont ride into it, you should be fine. Following the bus tracks is usually safest.

Lou Girardin
14th July 2006, 12:45
It an amazing place. I did it in a cage a few years back. There's nothing but sand and surf for 10 - 20 k's at a stretch. And some smartarse had removed the Te Paki stream sign, we still found it though.

XTC
14th July 2006, 12:54
It an amazing place. I did it in a cage a few years back. There's nothing but sand and surf for 10 - 20 k's at a stretch. And some smartarse had removed the Te Paki stream sign, we still found it though.
Rental car was it??

DMNTD
14th July 2006, 12:54
... Next one is a little further up past the stream.

Are you sure that second picture wasn't taken at South Head,Opononi overlooking the Hokianga Harbour(looking north)?? Looks like home to me...:yes:

90 Mile beach is a fun ride foreshore :innocent: Just watch you don't venture inland from the beach too far at that time of year...can get some "assertive" locals protecting their benefit suppliment :doobey: Serious.
If you get the chance see if you can venture up through Dargiville and check out Poto Point/Bailies Beach etc. Extroidinary sand dunes for miles mate...just watch for 4WD's and you'll have a blast!!

XTC
14th July 2006, 13:20
If you get the chance see if you can venture up through Dargiville and check out Poto Point/Bailies Beach etc. Extroidinary sand dunes for miles mate...just watch for 4WD's and you'll have a blast!!
And see if you can make it up to the lighthouse. Used to go and stay with my sister in Pouto in the school holidays years and years ago and the dunes on that beach are spectacular!

merv
14th July 2006, 13:38
I've done it in the Landcruiser - just set it at about 80-100km/hr on the cruise control most of the way. That was 2 summers ago - hope the speed limit is still 100 or has it been dropped like all these other damn places around.

Read guff here http://ahipara.co.nz/Utils/doc/tepaki.htm

That's for cars - on the bike no sweat at all and you could ride all the way down to Ahipara. Go around there anyway to have a look at the fabulous sand dunes. We tried sand tobogganing when the sand was a bit too dry. You can also do that at Te Paki stream just you probably can't carry a tobaggan on the bike - climb up the things anyway for a bit of fun.

If you are racing along just watch where the streams flow out onto the beach they can sometimes have gouged the sand out deeper than it looks - suffered the odd loud bang and bounce when the 'cruiser hit those at 80 or more making me turn off the cruise before each one.

F5 Dave
14th July 2006, 13:57
Are you sure that second picture wasn't taken at South Head,Opononi overlooking the Hokianga Harbour(looking north)?? Looks like home to me...:yes:

Had me worried for a while, but I found the pics on my drive, that was taken near or from the carpark at the lighthouse (see pic 1). Here are some more: This is up the stream area, the beach is more barren, but cool for it.

F5 Dave
14th July 2006, 14:05
ok here are a couple more (excuse dumb dragon sticker on old HJC) & the tip of NZ.

+ a how to fit a cat into a vase demonstration that happened to be on the end of the film.(it went in there itself, honest!) Turned around & walked out too!

Lou Girardin
14th July 2006, 14:54
Rental car was it??

I, uh, hate to admit it.
A 4WD. :dodge:

XTC
14th July 2006, 15:07
I, uh, hate to admit it.
A 4WD. :dodge:

Nothing wrong with that. still got wheels and a whole lotta fun.

XTC
14th July 2006, 15:11
Got some pics of a Two Wheels ride down ninety mile beach many moons ago. Had a CX400 custom then. 2 up down the beach at 80-90k would hit the little "rivers" and speed would drop to 50-60 kms in about 3 metres. Cool fun at the time. Sadly the photo's are in old school format before digital and I can't be bothered scanning them. I think the biggest bikes in our group that day were 2 XJ900's.

nodrog
14th July 2006, 15:17
If you are racing along just watch where the streams flow out onto the beach they can sometimes have gouged the sand out deeper than it looks...........................

what that guy said, been there done that:Oops:

PaddyFZ1
14th July 2006, 17:00
Did a few years ago with a mate in his old sierra wagon. Went south to north so we didnt have to worry about washing the car, as the trip up the stream did that for us.
Took the old KDX down to the dunes at shipwreck bay, had a ball.

inlinefour
23rd July 2006, 11:16
Howdy

Now not that I am a keen beach rider for obvious reasons (sand and salt), what is the beach actually like?
I will be up that way and thought that as its on my to do list, I might as well do it on the bike.

Now what I want to know is can it be riden at low tide only? and how far down the beach can your ride?
I will be entering from the top at Te Paki

I look forward to your info and experiences

Cheers

Make sure your bike is well oiled, buy yourself a waterblaster to clean your bike. Life is far too short not to go and have fun on the beach. Besides, 90 mile beach is where I fractured my clavical! :gob: