PDA

View Full Version : Sweeper Cornering

Korea
14th July 2006, 12:58
Hey all,

There's some great riding advice in these forums and I was wondering if anyone has some ideas on taking sweepers?

I've been going back to this road just out of the city a few times, trying to perfect this one, great, sweeper. In the outside direction, it's a third-gear, 120kmph+ entry. There's a little bit of banking in the middle, so a couple of camber changes as well.

I've attached a video of a black CBR600RR that pretty much nails the corner, picture perfectly. Following is me, a little less inspiring...

*** DISCLAIMER: Have ridden for about 10 years, and gradually worked my way up to speed; 85, 90, 95, 100kmph+. (and it's still dodgy). If you are new to riding, and young or impressionable, PLEASE DON'T GO OUT TO THE NEARERST HAIRPIN AND TRY FLICKING YOURSELF INTO IT AT 100KMPH+ ON YOUR GN250. Work up to it slowly :niceone: ***

Back to the corner: Little by little, it seems to be coming along but there are some issues:

#1 I'm turning much later and much wider than the black CBR. The bikes are pretty much identical, so shouldn't I be able to hold the same line?
#2 My entry speed is noticeably less than the black bike. May need larger gonads...
#3 It seems that I'm getting on the gas really early.
#4 I feel like I'm 'coasting' through the corner - there isn't a lot of force swinging me out.
#5 Alternatively, taking a tight line seems to make me run in too close over the median strip on the exit (see pic). Perhaps I need to get on the gas harder after the apex? Or carry more corner speed?

What do you think?

Warr
14th July 2006, 13:07
My 2cents worth from a wantaby as well.
Its about the entry into the corner. Not entirely obvious from camera shot.
The CBR has set himself up before the corner you need to get that happening sooner, hence you going wide. It would be interesting to have a camera looking straight back down the road you are coming from. I think that is where you need to look for differences :)

beyond
14th July 2006, 14:06
I can't see the vid but only frrom your diagrams:
No two same bikes with different riders are going to pick exactly the same lines, cos you have body weight, suspension and rider technique differences.

More G forces react on a heavier person on the same bike etc.

I can't see the vid, but hanging off the bike helps a lot as you can pull a tighter radius for the same speed, which means you can increase your speed to get around the same corner more than if you were just sitting on the bike.

If you know the corner well, which it seesm you do, than early setup is a definite advantage. As soon as you have finished your braking, apply a fraction of throttle to hold a steady line and as you apex start increasing throttle while a little counter steering ensures you don't stand up too soon and hence go too wide.

Cajun
14th July 2006, 14:08
well you pretty much said it, you turn later than him, you turn earlyer i would suggust put you on simlar line, but not as early as what you put in ya picture

You can see this from the video

Mental Trousers
14th July 2006, 14:24
Everyones different. If that was me and I knew the corner like you do I'd probably be double apexing that one - or at least trying to :doobey:

kiwifruit
14th July 2006, 14:29
Looks like you are going pretty good there
Nice looking corner that

Mr. Peanut
14th July 2006, 15:21
Looks like the Black CBR is getting the corner on camber and you are getting it off Camber? :blink:

beyond
14th July 2006, 15:25
Ok, managed to download the vid.

My thoughts though I do not profess to be a race expert :)
1. First rider is carrying more speed.
2. First rider is apexing a little later than second rider.
3. Second rider is coming in wide.
4. Second rider is apexing earlier.

Depending on weight differences between first and second rider lines may vary but if weights and suspension setups are the same, then second rider needs to turn in slightly earlier on their side of the centre line, apex a little later and counter steer slightly deeper into the corner to accomplish this eand depending on traction.

In either case, some very good cornering so wouldn't be too upset about not hitting the same line.