PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha XTX660

Hellraiser
14th July 2006, 19:51
been looking around and haven't been able to find anything bad about them, in fact most comments are that they are fun to ride. Any who i'm thinking of trading my 636 in for one but i want to know what others think of them.

Badcat
14th July 2006, 19:55
been looking around and haven't been able to find anything bad about them, in fact most comments are that they are fun to ride. Any who i'm thinking of trading my 636 in for one but i want to know what others think of them.

henderson motorcycles have a demo i think.
go ride one, honestly - that's gonna do more than listen to a bunch of people who haven't ridden it.
(i think it's a great bike for the real world BTW)
just my 2c.

k

Hellraiser
14th July 2006, 20:00
I have riden one and loved it but i just want to here about any problem that they may have.

98tls
14th July 2006, 20:06
Feb/March issue of Bike Rider mag did a test....to quote the end.."it really is a bike for everyone,ride it to work and take your mates on in the weekend,and that says it all in a nutshell".actually that article was a good read,great lookin bike i reckon.If you want that mag sing out and i can post it up to you.

Motu
14th July 2006, 20:10
Have heard nothing bad about them,but then I've never come across anyone with one.(I presume you mean the new XT660) They are built in Italy I think.The motor is Yamaha's latest up grade of the single they've been making since they made the first modern big single back in the late '70's - they've all had an 84 mm stroke.Yamaha know how to make a big single.

Fargin Khan
15th July 2006, 11:22
I have owned an XT660X since December 05. I love it !. It is a huge amount of fun to ride on twisty back roads. The stock pipes are very heavy and restrictive , so i fitted a pair of Leo Vince x3 cans. What a huge difference to power output, it also boosted fuel economy (go figure?). I used tio have a Tl1000s and a zx12r previously , I do miss the power but the xt sticks out around 50hp which you can use all of it. brakes are very very good and handles like on rails. Top speed is about 165km/h. I have fitted a ventura pack system which makes it into a practical ride to work bike as well as a sunday thrasher. Rear tyre is very soft and mine is stuffed at 3500km. If would like to know anymore message me.

:scooter:

miSTa
15th July 2006, 13:05
If you can read french I have and article (several jpegs) from a french magazine who stripped one at 50,000km and documented what they found.

clint640
17th July 2006, 08:45
My bro had a good fang on one the other day, he reckoned the power was fairly lame compared to my 640, so it looks like a set of decent cans as mentioned above is a must.

Cheers
Clint

Hellraiser
19th July 2006, 17:11
Got it today and loving it ..........

Thanks for all the input guys

98tls
19th July 2006, 17:17
excellent...we need pics and a bit a ride report eh...enjoy you lucky bugger..wish i could afford one myself.

sels1
20th July 2006, 08:30
Got it today and loving it ..........

Congratulations. Will be interested on how you find it over a longer term. ( I have it in the "one day I might get one of those" catagory)

Wolf
23rd July 2006, 11:46
excellent...we need pics and a bit a ride report eh.
Damn straight! Quit teasin', Hellraiser, and post the pics and report :p

Macktheknife
23rd July 2006, 13:14
Damn straight! Quit teasin', Hellraiser, and post the pics and report :p
What he said! C'mon mate where are the pics?

Ghost Lemur
27th July 2006, 19:33
*and a little bikeless biker waits....*

Hellraiser
28th July 2006, 10:20
Sorry guys i have no digi cam at the moment so i can't do the pic's.

i will do a review as soon as i get a chance give a good ride.

wysper
4th August 2006, 12:47
Hi All, first post, whaoo hoo.

I am looking at one of these too.. the two other bikes in the mix are the FZ6 and Suzuki sv650. Look forward to your comments Hellraiser.

Wolf
4th August 2006, 15:32
Hi All, first post, whaoo hoo.

I am looking at one of these too.. the two other bikes in the mix are the FZ6 and Suzuki sv650. Look forward to your comments Hellraiser.
You'd have loads of fun with the XT - it'll go places the others can't, for a start and it wouldn't be a slouch on the tarmac. Get the right tyres for your planned riding and the World is the mollusc of your choosing...

Welcome to the site, wysper.

wysper
4th August 2006, 16:51
Thanks for the welcome Wolf

Just read Hellraisers comments the XT. Seems like it might not be a great commuter. That would be a major part of its job. Still, I plan a test ride this weekend so we will see how it goes. :scooter:

Wolf
4th August 2006, 18:12

Just read Hellraisers comments the XT. Seems like it might not be a great commuter. That would be a major part of its job. Still, I plan a test ride this weekend so we will see how it goes. :scooter:
The XT225 (aka XT250) is a great commuter and bloody fun on the open road or (according to those far better than I at off-road riding) off-road.

There are plenty of dual purpose bikes out there, give as many as you can a try.

Ghost Lemur
4th August 2006, 21:14
Do a google for reviews Wysper. Read one from the UK which rated it as a highly fun communter. You know the sort. Makes you happy it's Monday morning coz you get to go have fun with the cagers.

Looking forward to some long term reviews Hellraiser (ie like at the 5 and 10k mark).

Ixion
4th August 2006, 22:04

I have, of recent date, an XT600. A part of its life task, and that not the least, will be my daily commute (suburban. motorway). Although it is but early days it seems so far quite adequate to the task.

I do not know yet how fuel consumption will go. Though obviously it is impractical to compare a 600 with a 250 in that respect.

My only concern so far is that the throttle response from very low speed is rather harsh which makes very slow speed lane crawling (eg, when a cop is watching) tricky. For normal lane splitting it is fine

Wolf
5th August 2006, 00:47
I do not know yet how fuel consumption will go. Though obviously it is impractical to compare a 600 with a 250 in that respect.
No way the fuel economy can be compared, apples and oranges. As far as manoeuvrabilty, I'd be expecting the two to stack up fairly close even though the 660 would obviously be a physically larger bike. They'd be of very similar pattern, both being Yamaha XTs - similar rake on the steering, similar geometry in other areas. Longer wheelbase but offset with greater height and possibly width - my expectation would be that the XT660 would handle traffic and twisty roads, intersections quite well.

I too have heard that the larger XTs are great weapons for the daily commute. Even if you never took it off road, it would have certain advantages in traffic over a longer, lower bike.

My old LS400 was great on the open road stretches when I commuted from out of town but my current XT would leave it for dead in the streets, especially the route around the lake I take these days.

wysper
6th August 2006, 13:51
my last bike was a gsx600, so I certainly expect some differences! And a whole load of fun. Now to find the funds :)

onabimble
9th January 2009, 22:15
The UK press have been bitching about this bikes fueling, many owners have too. Has anyone here with these bikes had similar problems?

I'm thinking of buying one so i'd love to know.

Thank you.

Frodo
10th January 2009, 07:22
The UK press have been bitching about this bikes fueling, many owners have too. Has anyone here with these bikes had similar problems?

I'm thinking of buying one so i'd love to know.

Thank you.

I have a 2006 Pegaso 650 Trail with a similar motor. I had serious fuelling issues, solved them by fitting a Power Commander. www.xt660.com has a number of fixes, including inserting resistors in the temperature circuit, but this comes across as a little hamfisted. The fuelling on the Pegaso was all over the show (some places too rich, others too lean), so its not a simple fix (for the Pegaso at least) as implied by xt660.com.

With a Power Commander and K&N filter, its a great motor. The Aprilia pipes appear to be less restrictive than those on the Yam and I haven't replaced them.

Cheers

Jox
14th July 2009, 23:27
Guys, I have just arrived here from the UK a few months back where I have been riding an XJR1300 for the last 8 years, prior to the XJR I have had all the XT's - started with the 250 then the die hard 500, 550, Tenere600, so when arrived in NZ I bought a well loved second hand XTX660, the pevious owner had fitted it with LeoVince 3's a Powercommander, 2nd Stage DNA filter and cover and just for comfort some heated grips...... Man oh man, I cannot keep the grin off my face after I throw my leg over the saddle, I have used it every day to work (except for this week because some bastard coughed on me and now I have man flu) and cant wait to get back on it. I did have some fueling issues but discovered someone had been messing with the PC and after resetting the map all is cool. Someone is a previous post said it handles like it is on rails, yeah, like a roller coaster on rails, man you can turn this thing just by moving your dick from the left trouser leg to the right one, traffic is a breeze, brakes are shit hot, I have been riding bike for like 30years (my first was a Yamaha MR50) and I am seriously enjoying this machine, roll on summer. :done:

shards
15th July 2009, 14:59
What the man said......amazing how much fun a 660 single can dish out. I have two, a 2006 XTX and a 2007 XTR- had to keep them both since I couldn't make up my mind which one I liked most. I have owned 70+ bikes in the last 15 years and the thumpers have always been (and still are) the most fun.