PDA

View Full Version : Painting advice required...

Paul in NZ
15th July 2006, 16:03
Sigh! Appeal to any experienced spray painters out there..

I'm spraying acylic laquer (Dulon) and all going well despite the bloody awful weather lately making it hard to get a decent crack at it. All went OK except I got a bit carried away and decided I wanted 2 colours and a stripe (I had some special tape) and I want to use a pin stripe tape where 2 colours join, I think its a vinyl as it has some stretch in it but...

Every time I spray a clear coat the tape ripples up and warps. Not only it this costing me a small fortune BUT it's annoying as heck...

I tried a light dusting coat, dry for 30 to 60 mins before a thicker coat (touch dry) but it still went wonky. So......

Should I leave it a few days after a light dusting on the tape?
Give up and take it to a pro and stop nancying about?
Kick the dog?
Paint the fecking thing matte black and be damned?

anything else??

Str8 Jacket
15th July 2006, 16:06
Leave the poor dog alone Paul! I vote - Paint the fecking thing matte black and be damned... Oh yeah any chance you could post a pic of what it looks like now?...

Paul in NZ
15th July 2006, 17:33
Leave the poor dog alone Paul! I vote - Paint the fecking thing matte black and be damned... Oh yeah any chance you could post a pic of what it looks like now?...

Oh I will once the badges are on etc 'cos it looks daft without them but I just scratched a bit while fixing another bit (aaaarrrggghhh)....

I think I'm being a bit anal about it 'cos this is the experiment job and really - it's too cold for good results. Fun though!

Paul N

Motu
15th July 2006, 17:46
Dulon thinners is pretty aggressive stuff,acetone I think...so I think the vinyl tape is the problem.What other pin stripping tapes are there? So you've got your base coats down,why are you clear coating over the tape? What colours? The dreaded bloom in this weather....the panelbeater next door uses a spray gun in one hand and a hair dryer in the other....

Paul in NZ
15th July 2006, 19:08
Dulon thinners is pretty aggressive stuff,acetone I think...so I think the vinyl tape is the problem.What other pin stripping tapes are there? So you've got your base coats down,why are you clear coating over the tape? What colours? The dreaded bloom in this weather....the panelbeater next door uses a spray gun in one hand and a hair dryer in the other....

Yup - this weather is NOT helping - Apparently Acrlics contract when drying and the cold damp weather makes it worse which could explain it.

Same source reckons if I went to a professional outfit for some tape I'd be better off but hey, Supercheap is just up the road and it's saturday and I'm in a rush (again)

Still, this is my experimental tank - I have the gun mastered almost so I;m getting back up to speed with it. Quite fun coming up with your own designs etc.. Clear coating over the tape is so it stays on and does not end up with a polish line.... Hair dryer eh? Anyone got an old clothes dryer cabinet????

Paul N

Motu
15th July 2006, 19:22
Ah,so....the tape stays on and you are clearing over the top - that was pretty clear in your first post....but I was thinking masking tape.It may work for other paints,but Dulon is strong stuff,more thinner than paint.

Kickaha
15th July 2006, 19:50
and I want to use a pin stripe tape where 2 colours join, I think its a vinyl as it has some stretch in it but...

Every time I spray a clear coat the tape ripples up and warps. Not only it this costing me a small fortune BUT it's annoying as heck...

Paint the pin stripes on like they used to, how hard can it be :lol:

Paul in NZ
15th July 2006, 20:32
Paint the pin stripes on like they used to, how hard can it be :lol:

It was a bloody nightmare painting them onto my suit

Colapop
15th July 2006, 21:38
Yeah but you had no problem keeping the shine on the patent leather winkle pickers!

crazefox
16th July 2006, 19:32
Mate its doing it cause your using dulon and its too thick you need to thin it some more or paint it in basecoat
by the way im a spraypainter if you need help give me a yell:rockon:

Paul in NZ
16th July 2006, 21:46
Mate its doing it cause your using dulon and its too thick you need to thin it some more or paint it in basecoat
by the way im a spraypainter if you need help give me a yell:rockon:

Thanks for that... I got the colour coats on pretty good but the weather was warmer that weekend and I think I got a bit cocky. I've been gathering a lot of info and what I think is...

It was too cold and wet (seems to make Dulon shrink more then drying?)

I put too much on too quickly. I should have just dusted it with clear coat (thinned more as you mentioned (mayber 2 to 1?) every 24 hours over 3 days, let it dry bone hard (say 3 / 4 days) then hit it with a final thinker coat.

When it started going pear shaped - I should have stopped and sanded it back again. Still, it looks kinda OK so I'll live with it 'till summer...

Cheers

Paul in NZ
19th July 2006, 20:41
As requested by Jaz....

it's very ropey around the edges but provided the leak is NOT a leak (still testing so it cant be MUCH of a leak eh)

Crap piccies taken with daughters phone but you get the idea...

jazbug5
19th July 2006, 21:19
Very nice!

James Deuce
19th July 2006, 21:33
Yeah, it looks really ropey - NOT!

Better than what Ol' Foul Ron used to do at Meriden mate. Can't see any flies under the clear coat either.

Motu
19th July 2006, 22:05
Two bar toast rack - all the good stuff eh? So what's wrong with Plastikote? The common approach not good enough for you?

Dodgyiti
19th July 2006, 22:08
Rock and roll Paul, love the cafe racer chequers!
Now for the clip ons and a new appointment card with the Ostio.
The rack looks cool, and you have had your kids now.
Can't wait to see it all done in old bloke bling. Pimp it till it hurts.
She is going to be a real sweetie for sure.:first:

Skunk
19th July 2006, 22:14
Very nice Paul. :yes:

Paul in NZ
20th July 2006, 07:03
Two bar toast rack - all the good stuff eh? So what's wrong with Plastikote? The common approach not good enough for you?

Nah - After the 18th can last week the guy said he was cutting me back 'cos I wus hooked... Musta been the matte black nose that gave it away.

Seriously though - I did the chain guard in plastikote cos it's a bit thin for powder coating and I wanted to be able to touch it up. Gets a fair old hammering.

I pick up the slimline tank this week so I wonder what to do with it? I can't bring myself to do the scallop thing so hmmm... Powder blue? Lime green?

James Deuce
20th July 2006, 07:06
You need a hobby Paul.....Oh yeah, that's right.

I reckon Magenta would stand out more. Most bikes seem to be Lime Green or Powder Blue these days.

Paul in NZ
20th July 2006, 09:29
You need a hobby Paul.....Oh yeah, that's right.

I reckon Magenta would stand out more. Most bikes seem to be Lime Green or Powder Blue these days.

Magenta you say.... hmmmmmm

Paul in NZ
28th July 2006, 10:57
OK - now if I wanted a green, say mid green, lighter than army olive but with a heavy gold metalic sheen instead of the more usual silver, how would I go about it?

I'm assuming I'd put on a gold base coat, get that pretty well right then apply a clear coat with green in it, thining the green as I go?

I have used a fine ground aluminium powder to get a metalic finish but I can't say I've ever seen it in gold.

Aim is to approximately replicate the original finish but lighten it up and ad a bit more sparkle.

Paul N

Motu
28th July 2006, 11:30
If you are using Dulon I'd just try one coat of green over your gold,it goes on pretty light and may just be enough,then successive coats of clear and reduced amounts of green.

I made a metalic green enamel once.We were going to paint my A40 pick up,but it was a pretty dark drab green.So we mixed in some ''steel wheel'' which the painters have in bulk for wheel painting.It lightened up to a really nice shade of green,and the silver gave it a metalic look...hard case,metalic enamel.

Hitcher
28th July 2006, 12:56
Nice job! Must have been hard doing all the little black squares. I thought it was going to be purple?