PDA

View Full Version : Removal of Fairing GSX600F

Lord Derosso
16th July 2006, 09:43
Hi all. I brought the Americian full fairing version 10 months ago and was thinking of removing the fairing so that I could check the engine over fully and maybe look at repainting the header pipes at the same time . Does anyone know of a site I can go to which has the correct procedure to do this. I have had some of the bolts out whilst checking under the tank but presume I will need to remove the front indicators to get the side fairings off. Do I need to take the front fairing/screen off too? My bike is in my profile should you want to confirm the model. The owners manual is basic and I will invest in the proper workshop manual when I shoot up Levin way eventually - as theres a stockist in Levin. Also, is it a good idea to leave the original fairing off for summer use especially when I am planning some long trips. I am curious to hear how the bike handles the wind etc without the full fairing. I am particularly keen to hear from any previous owners of this model for their general comments on things to watch for and advice on tyres etc, anything in fact. Shes the 86HP version.

FROSTY
16th July 2006, 10:33
there is no quick easy way that i'm aware of.
Remove the belly pan then the screws round the bodywork then the indicators then the mirrors.
Its a bit of an ass of a setup

far queue
16th July 2006, 11:06
... thinking of removing the fairing ... Does anyone know of a site I can go to which has the correct procedure to do this ... Also, is it a good idea to leave the original fairing off for summer use especially when I am planning some long trips. I am curious to hear how the bike handles the wind etc without the full fairing. I am particularly keen to hear from any previous owners of this model for their general comments on things to watch for and advice on tyres etc, anything in fact. Shes the 86HP version.

I had a 1993 GSX750F before my current bike. It looked just the same as your 600. I had varoius bits of fairing off it at times and there's nothing special to it, you certainly don't need a manual to do it. Just keep unscrewing stuff until it all comes off.

Why would you want to leave the fairing off in summer? Are you concerned about overheating of you, or the bike, or some other reason? The bike wont overheat in normal riding conditions (the heat of summer is a normal riding condition), and you (the rider) wont overheat while riding if dressed appropriatly.

I don't imagine the handling would be affected too much - after all naked bikes are just faired bikes without a fairing, although you (the rider) will feel more wind buffeting etc, and the fuel economy may decrease. I don't see any benefits, but what are you hoping to achieve?

Lord Derosso
18th July 2006, 08:14
Just want to be able to get a good look at the engine and easy access to a few things. May look at doing this before getting a service done before a tour I am planning next summer. At $80 p.h it will also save on the service cost.

dhunt
18th July 2006, 08:46
Just want to be able to get a good look at the engine and easy access to a few things. May look at doing this before getting a service done before a tour I am planning next summer. At $80 p.h it will also save on the service cost.
Taking it for a bouce down the road works too I've found :innocent: Just makes it hard to put back on.

It's fairly straight forward to do properly. Take screen off, take side fairing off. Just keep undoing stuff till it comes off. Putting on just do the reverse.