PDA

View Full Version : Bucket racing

FROSTY
2nd June 2004, 13:17
Tthe idea went through my head that a lot of folks would like to go racing but cant justify the cost.
Well the cheap way to get on the race track is Bucket racing.

Most of you guys n gals know about it but for those that dont.
In Auckland it is run at Mt wellington Go cart track.
I know there are bucket clubs everywhere round the country.
All normal rules in road racing apply and are enforced-See Wanna Go Racing thread.
There are a fair few classes to choose from
50cc
open --which is 4 stroke to 140cc
2 stroke 100cc (competition motor) 125cc normal motor
Motards
150cc racing -depending on numbers attending
generally there are feilds of 10-30 per class.
Those of you with cb125 twins cb125 singles -gs125's xl125's rx125 yamahas suzuki gp125 or gp100 or possibly fxr150's or rgv150's
even rg50's or mb50's
There is no rule as to what you can race as long as you stick to the engine capacity limit.
A well sorted potentially race winning bucket will cost you under a grand.
Ive got on the track and had a great seasons racing on a bike bike costing $500 including sticky tyres.
Crashing happens a lot but because its at comparatively low speed usually its only your pride that gets hurt.
sometimes youll actually damage the bike but its usually broken brake levers or handlebar bungs ground away.
For mt wellington the only extra prep you have to do is to
1) bar end bungs Must be plastic ( cheapest way is to use plastic wine corks
2) No metal from footpegs can touch the ground in a crash.
The usual solution there is to bolt/lockwire plastic slabs underneath the pegs -again -no exposed metal.
to pass scrutineering (strictly speaking rarely enforced)
You need to lay your bike on the ground and see if any footpeg metal touches.
I used to use solid L shaped slabs of teflon because I couldnt be arsed mucking around fixing things when I crashed.
You will learn a heck of a lot of racecraft on these bikes and theres always a market for your bucket when ya finish with it .
Oh and if ya think you'll go out there and clean up on a 150 stroker -or even a 125 gp bike -think again -those buckets turn real fast and those guys literally ride the wheels off those things

jrandom
2nd June 2004, 15:55
cb125 twins or possibly fxr150's or rgv150's

Really? I was under the impression that the FXR wasn't allowable under the bucket regs. Cool.

k14
2nd June 2004, 16:15
I thought it was up to 140cc 4 strokes and 125cc 2 strokes, but I could be wrong. Ask Kickaha, he is the local bucket racing guru.

Two Smoker
2nd June 2004, 17:39
I thought it was up to 140cc 4 strokes and 125cc 2 strokes, but I could be wrong. Ask Kickaha, he is the local bucket racing guru.
Yep XJ's right, it just came out in the latest AMCC newsletter that SS150 can be raced in buckets :niceone: and yes the FXR150 is campliabe to SS150 class :niceone:

Eddieb
2nd June 2004, 17:40
Is there anyone doing it in wellington?

jrandom
2nd June 2004, 17:45
Yep XJ's right, it just came out in the latest AMCC newsletter that SS150 can be raced in buckets :niceone: and yes the FXR150 is campliabe to SS150 class :niceone:

Wahoo! I'm definitely keeping the FXR as a bucket racer then. Admittedly, my godlike riding skills will lead inevitably to complete dominance, and take all the fun out of the class, but it won't be *too* unfair. The rest of the field will probably average a 30kg weight advantage. :lol:

Marknz
2nd June 2004, 17:55
Is there anyone doing it in wellington?

They sure are... PM me your email address and I'll send you the promotional pdf document. Next round will be at Tawa market Gardens (Grenada North) on 27 June.

Marknz
2nd June 2004, 17:58
They sure are... PM me your email address and I'll send you the promotional pdf document. Next round will be at Tawa market Gardens (Grenada North) on 27 June.

In fact try this...

Kickaha
2nd June 2004, 20:22

they were looking at upping the cc limit to allow more bikes in,but that may just be local thing to get more competitors on the track as we certainly have heard nothing down here about a capacity increase.

Eddieb
3rd June 2004, 09:01
In fact try this...

Thanks Mark, could be worth a look.

I've been out on the track quite a few times and always wanted to give racing a go but other priorities have always ranked higher than a F3 bike and all the cost that goes with it.

Besides I don't think I'd be fast enough to be competitve at F3. :ride:

FROSTY
3rd June 2004, 09:47
its a special thing at amcc so to introduce more riders
but dont think that on ya standard fxr your gonna dominate.--some of those 125 twins are pretty darn quick --and most important turn pretty fast.

jrandom
3rd June 2004, 10:30
but dont think that on ya standard fxr your gonna dominate.--some of those 125 twins are pretty darn quick --and most important turn pretty fast.

Hell yeah. No, if I ran an FXR in the buckets, I'd expect to be well back in the rear half of the field. But, you see, I already *have* one, which is a clinching argument in terms of my choice of a race bike :ride:

Motoracer
3rd June 2004, 12:05
Wahoo! I'm definitely keeping the FXR as a bucket racer then. Admittedly, my godlike riding skills will lead inevitably to complete dominance, and take all the fun out of the class, but it won't be *too* unfair. The rest of the field will probably average a 30kg weight advantage. :lol:

So you be doing your victory wheelie as you cross the finish line then?

jrandom
3rd June 2004, 12:58
So you be doing your victory wheelie as you cross the finish line then?

Only if I slow to an almost-standstill and cross it in first gear...

Kickaha
3rd June 2004, 19:00
Hell yeah. No, if I ran an FXR in the buckets, I'd expect to be well back in the rear half of the field. But, you see, I already *have* one, which is a clinching argument in terms of my choice of a race bike :ride:

We ran against 150 at Levels, on the long track the fast buckets still cleaned them up,on the short track the buckets have a even bigger advantage.

There is a perception of buckets as evil handling,dodgy arse peices of crap,some of them now are basiclly highly modified racebikes.

And there are a few National class riders racing them,even some previous National champions,so the level of competiton can be fairly high

Shawn
3rd June 2004, 19:08
hey i am keen to give it a go...is there any way i can borrow a bike down there for practice on the track or anything like that??...talking to XJ today totally made me all hyper about it… :niceone:

Marknz
3rd June 2004, 21:30
Depending on how serious you get, it can sometimes be an expensive sport. Check these buckets out from Aussie...

Marknz
3rd June 2004, 22:06
here's my beast. I'm hoping it'll be back in Wgtn by the end of the season.

FROSTY
4th June 2004, 01:23
nice looking rig that Mark
But keep in mind guys _all those buckets started out as street bikes and got developed over time.
Personally I wouldnt be arsed with all the fairings and stuff.
KISS it works best at mt wellington.
Flat bars no fairings .reasonable front brakes and a broad spread of power.
-thats why the 4 strokes do so well there
Ill scan pics of a couple of my buckets on them both I was getting solid mid feilds and occasional podeum places

k14
4th June 2004, 09:03
Yeah buckets look like quite a good class to start off with. Really cheap to get into and next to no running costs. Hopefully I can get into it next year.

FROSTY
4th June 2004, 14:38
hey guys keep in mind --
Milky is selling a fantastic bike to build a bucket from--a cb125 twin
You could almost race it as is -the almost being tyres and track stup--
do it right and it could still be a road bike too

speedpro
5th June 2004, 22:38
We ran against 150 at Levels, on the long track the fast buckets still cleaned them up,on the short track the buckets have a even bigger advantage.

There is a perception of buckets as evil handling,dodgy arse peices of crap,some of them now are basiclly highly modified racebikes.

And there are a few National class riders racing them,even some previous National champions,so the level of competiton can be fairly high

At our last meeting we had three "National" class riders - Karl Morgan, Dave Manuel(250GP champ), and some guy called Gary Cunningham. They were fast but didn't just clear out from the likes of Dave, Rick, or Olly.

speedpro
5th June 2004, 23:11
here's my beast. I'm hoping it'll be back in Wgtn by the end of the season.
Funny looking chamber you have!! :moon: :buggerd:

I have some shots of AK buckets but they're all large files. Anyway . . .

I've edited them and they're all manageable sizes now.

FROSTY
6th June 2004, 14:37
If mr speedpro is who I think he is --hes a lot more qualified to talk about mt wellington race track than I am.

speedpro
7th June 2004, 17:30
hey i am keen to give it a go...is there any way i can borrow a bike down there for practice on the track or anything like that??...talking to XJ today totally made me all hyper about it… :niceone:
I normally try to get along to the Sat morning of a bucket weekend. Pretty well anyone who turns up with the gear can have a ride on my bike, #10 in the pic but #6 now. PM me a bit closer to the next meeting if you're interested as I'm not sure with my new job whether I'll be making it for sure. John Connor is a good sort and will generally let anyone who asks have a ride on one of his many buckets as well, even on race day.

LB
8th June 2004, 05:33
At our last meeting we had three "National" class riders - Karl Morgan, Dave Manuel(250GP champ), and some guy called Gary Cunningham. They were fast but didn't just clear out from the likes of Dave, Rick, or Olly.
Gary Cunningham races a GSXR600 and is pretty handy on it!

RiderInBlack
8th June 2004, 07:18
I normally try to get along to the Sat morning of a bucket weekend. Pretty well anyone who turns up with the gear can have a ride on my bike, #10 in the pic but #6 now. PM me a bit closer to the next meeting if you're interested as I'm not sure with my new job whether I'll be making it for sure. John Connor is a good sort and will generally let anyone who asks have a ride on one of his many buckets as well, even on race day.Would love to take up you offer SP, but I'll have to wait until spring as work is full on at the moment (7 dayers until after Sept, but might get a break late July). I'd like to give buckets a go, as my old 245+Kg CBR1000 is a bit heavy to throw around the track (have taken it around Puke on 2 open days so far, and the VFR once at Manfeild).

Eddieb
8th June 2004, 16:02
In fact try this...

Thanks Mark, Does the season only have 5 rounds mid year or does it carry on through summer?

If so then If I was keen by the time I got organised I'd have missed most of this year.

FROSTY
8th June 2004, 16:09
holey cow speedpro--i thought I was going nuts trying to figure out where the pic of dave was taken--then i realised it was running reversed circuit

F5 Dave
16th June 2004, 17:47
holey cow speedpro--i thought I was going nuts trying to figure out where the pic of dave was taken--then i realised it was running reversed circuit

Well I've only just stumbled on this, but that pic of Dave is from Last year's GP & that's me ahead of him, but sadly the bike got a bit sick later on.

If there is any one from Wgtn wanting more info PM me & I can probably get you a ride on my evil H. :doctor:

geoffm
16th June 2004, 20:30

If anyone wants a Suzuki A100, let me know. It is the most eveil handling flexi-flyer I have ridden, but if you want cheap racing. Hasn't been going for years, but used to go. May need a new woodruff key - can't remember.
It is in Auckland, and it needs to go.
Geoff

merv
16th June 2004, 20:40
If anyone wants a Suzuki A100, let me know. It is the most eveil handling flexi-flyer I have ridden, but if you want cheap racing. Geoff

The first Suzuki I owned was a 1970 model A100. Great machine at the time, and just to jog the memories who remembers Tony Burrell (RIP) who became the NZ 125 road race champion on his warmed up A100. To me the only killer with those is they only had a 4 speed box then. At least they had an alloy block engine when many of the 2 strokes still had iron blocks prone to overheating and seizures.

See the pics - that's the A100 next to the Mini at Akaroa and also trail riding on the track past Lake Sumner before I owned a dirt bike.

FROSTY
17th June 2004, 10:10
If anyone wants a Suzuki A100, let me know. It is the most eveil handling flexi-flyer I have ridden, but if you want cheap racing. Hasn't been going for years, but used to go. May need a new woodruff key - can't remember.
It is in Auckland, and it needs to go.
Geoff
thatd be a great way to get into racing i reckon -and sounds like the price would be good too

Eddieb
17th June 2004, 10:54
What sort of bikes do the higher finishers race in the buckets?

Is there a particular make/model that seems to do better/is faster than others, do 2 or 4 strokes tend to perform better given the short length and twistiness of the courses?

If the courses are tight with short straights is the extra power of a 2 smoke not as important as the compartively higher low end torque of a 4 stroke for getting out of those corners?

F5 Dave
17th June 2004, 11:00
There are 2 classes, 50cc & 100 cc. Many people go for the 100cc class as they feel they are too 'MAN' for a 50 . The RG50s handle real well & there is distinct pleasure in beating bikes twice the capacity if you enter 'all in' :kick: , either that or you race against the other 50s

In the 100 class you are allowed up to a 140cc 4 stroke (though there is some movement on this idea) & a 125 aircooled 125 with a carb restriction of 24mm.

Go along to a meeting to see what is winning. It varies quite a lot. A good rider on any decent bike can win.

Devil
17th June 2004, 11:51
Awww man, this looks like fun.
I wanna go!

Eddieb
17th June 2004, 16:00
Awww man, this looks like fun.
I wanna go!

Me too! I've got the 27th in my diary to have a look in Wellington.

F5 Dave
17th June 2004, 16:05
Yeah the Tawa event is pretty makeshift, but good for a laugh. The Kart track events are more structured but we are making do with what we have for the mean time.

FROSTY
18th June 2004, 22:31

Is there a particular make/model that seems to do better/is faster than others, do 2 or 4 strokes tend to perform better given the short length and twistiness of the courses?

If the courses are tight with short straights is the extra power of a 2 smoke not as important as the compartively higher low end torque of a 4 stroke for getting out of those corners?
up here in auckland the tzr50 or rg50 is the 50 to buy
The dominant open class bucket seems to be the cb125 twin but changes are afoot
It seems that a lot of non compliant fxr150's are being crashed on the road -now with some sleeving you have a
140cc single with 20 odd bhp a decent brake and good handling. drop the c of g and you would have a bloody reliable and potent bucket.

Kickaha
18th June 2004, 23:02

Is there a particular make/model that seems to do better/is faster than others, do 2 or 4 strokes tend to perform better given the short length and twistiness of the courses

Down here the Championship hasn't been won by a fourstroke although that will change this year,as there were only two fast ones and one immigrated to Wellington and we can beat the other one most of the time.

In the South the fastest 4 stroke bikes are GN125 based,the usual mods,cam,carb, higher comp,but the main advantage they have is a better frame than the Honda's although there is one fast CB125 twin.

We've just done a stroker crank and taken the GN out to 139cc but at the first outing had a bit of a carb problem then a crashing problem so it's yet to be sorted.

We also run on bigger tracks,using parts of Ruapuna,Levels and Greymouth and Nelson street races.

F5dave what movement have you heard about on the 140cc rule? I know Mike Green was keen to change it a while back but didn't attract much interest,I think it should go up so at least the GL145 could be included and maybe the FXR150's

FROSTY
20th June 2004, 12:42
In dorkland they want to keep bucketting alive so they seem to have the idea to include up to 150cc 4 strokes -in their own class

Kickaha
20th June 2004, 18:51
In dorkland they want to keep bucketting alive so they seem to have the idea to include up to 150cc 4 strokes -in their own class

Bring them on,we've already proven we can smoke them even on the big tracks,on the small tracks we'd well and truly slaughter them :Pokey:

Buckets basically seem to have a image problem and a lot of people I have spoken to reckon they wouldn't bother because they don't seem to think racing a bike with limited HP could be any fun,but I believe it teaches better racecraft.

FROSTY
20th June 2004, 21:27
Bring them on,we've already proven we can smoke them even on the big tracks,on the small tracks we'd well and truly slaughter them :Pokey:

Buckets basically seem to have a image problem and a lot of people I have spoken to reckon they wouldn't bother because they don't seem to think racing a bike with limited HP could be any fun,but I believe it teaches better racecraft.
Better racecraft I'd go so far as to say it teaches racecraft full stop.There isn't an element of road racing missing from bucket racing. The only difference as I see it is the cost invoved.
Id say on a small tight track like Mt wellington or some of the old carpark tracks the 4 strokes have dominated.
on a bigger more free flowing track a 2 stroke should walk away from a 4 stroke all the time

Eddieb
21st June 2004, 09:20
The main reason I'm really interested in buckets is the bang for buck. If I can be involved in some competitive racing for next to no money then bring it on, and as far as racing goes less than $1000 for a year including buying a bike is very cheap.

On a short track like for gokarts or a supermarket carpark then the racing is going to be close and competitive and you aren't going to get lost or bogged down crawling down some straight, meaning it's still going to be exciting. You just aren't reaching the same speeds.

The idea does it for me, I'm hoping it measures up when I go to view in wellington on sunday.

F5 Dave
21st June 2004, 09:39
F5dave what movement have you heard about on the 140cc rule? I know Mike Green was keen to change it a while back but didn't attract much interest,I think it should go up so at least the GL145 could be included and maybe the FXR150's

Not sure on the 150 rule. Personally I think they would make the current 4 strokes obsolete, esp. when they are hotted up. I think the rule should probably go to 150cc single cam only (ie not FXR), which would allow people to find a piston for their 4 stroke (CB750 takes you to over 140 in most bikes) & the GL 145s would be legal.

FROSTY
21st June 2004, 10:08
I dont think its a national thing --just here in auckland.
I think there is gonna be a mini industry of guys doing an fxr150 to fxr140 kit by fitting a smaller barrel and sleeving them to 140cc
of course some smart dude would contact the factory where theyre built and just have some built as fxr140 s
I still think that on the big tracks the strokers are gonna smoke em

jrandom
21st June 2004, 10:48
I still think that on the big tracks the strokers are gonna smoke em

It is apparent that you do not yet sufficiently FEAR the BUCKET-RACING FXR of DOOM!

I shall SMITE down upon ye FECKLESS and WANTON riders of these TWO-STROKES. And they shall know that I am the LORD when I lay down my OWNAGE upon them!

Also, my matt black paint scheme with matching leathers will be very fetching.

FROSTY
21st June 2004, 12:56
a hhh ye of little faith. could it be that thou are smitten with thine own reflected image?
Nay tis but a nave dressed in the armour of a black knight.
lest one finds egg apon ones face best one waits till one hast visited the lists

speedpro
21st June 2004, 20:51
It is apparent that you do not yet sufficiently FEAR the BUCKET-RACING FXR of DOOM!

I shall SMITE down upon ye FECKLESS and WANTON riders of these TWO-STROKES. And they shall know that I am the LORD when I lay down my OWNAGE upon them!

I know two (2stroke)buckets being built that are going to ruin your day, and hopefully everybody else's as well.

One is only going to make 30hp or so but the other one will be up there and both are in RS125 chassis. :Pokey:

F5 Dave
22nd June 2004, 09:06
I know two (2stroke)buckets being built that are going to ruin your day, and hopefully everybody else's as well.

One is only going to make 30hp or so but the other one will be up there and both are in RS125 chassis. :Pokey:

So I’m assuming you don’t include my (by now 5 yr) 100cc project into these 2. :whistle:

So someone else is doing it? So much for getting the jump on everyone, they’ll be as common as muck soon.

Devil
22nd June 2004, 10:59

Hey man, anything more than 2 strokes is masturbation.

Eddieb
24th June 2004, 17:15
So what time do things start on sunday morning at market gardens, and how am I going to recognise KB'ers?

F5 Dave
24th June 2004, 17:20
We'll get going after 10. No.27, though don't laugh this is a shakedown ride of a new bike.

speedpro
25th June 2004, 21:14
We'll get going after 10. No.27, though don't laugh this is a shakedown ride of a new bike.
Bit early for excuses isn't it :laugh:

FROSTY
26th June 2004, 16:45
blame the bike from day one --and justify it by setting it up so no sane human being would ride it--works for me

Pickle
27th June 2004, 17:13

Still trying to shake off the DNF Dave tag eh

Kickaha
27th June 2004, 19:24
Still trying to shake off the DNF Dave tag eh

Funny you should say that we were just talking today about a carb that fell off his bike while he was racing at Ruapuna a couple of years back.

F5 Dave
28th June 2004, 09:16
Thanks guys. :bleh:

Well thankfully the new bike ran a treat & aside from a couple of niggles -like one of the footpegs folds too horizontally & [ahem] the gearlever bolt falling out, it was all good.

Eddieb
28th June 2004, 16:41
Hi Dave

Will email those photos soon. I downloaded the application form for Vic club and my race license today.
Know anyone with some cheap leathers for sale? I'd rather not use my good ones.

svs
28th June 2004, 20:03
I'd rather not use my good ones.

If you're racing I suggest that you should be wearing the best leathers you have. Sure you're more likely to fall off, but that's exactly when you want your leathers to save your arse.

FROSTY
28th June 2004, 22:16
Hi Dave

Will email those photos soon. I downloaded the application form for Vic club and my race license today.
Know anyone with some cheap leathers for sale? I'd rather not use my good ones.
I do actually-I saw a 200 set perfect for bucketting

Eddieb
28th June 2004, 23:19

Cool, got any more info? I'm 5'9" - 5'10" and about 75kg.

My 'good ones' are a $1200 set of Dianese, which is why I'd rather not use them for bucketing.

FROSTY
29th June 2004, 08:30
ill find out how big they are and post it up

Kickaha
29th June 2004, 15:18
Cool, got any more info? I'm 5'9" - 5'10" and about 75kg.

My 'good ones' are a $1200 set of Dianese, which is why I'd rather not use them for bucketing.

Why would you want to wear less than your best protective gear?,the grounds just as hard falling off a bucket as it is off any other bike and one of the most serious injuries I saw down here last season was from racing buckets.

I guess when people ask how you scuffed your flash leathers it doesn't sound quite as good saying I crashed my bucket :bleh:

gav
29th June 2004, 15:31
Surely any bucket housed in a RS125 frame is going to be illegal? Wasnt one of the main rules was no competition race parts allowed, so ruling out road race and MX engine, brakes etc? Why not just import a moriwaki 80, theres a few racing in Oz?
Guys used to run CB100's with XR200 based engines, these were pretty quick.
Since sold my two strokes.

F5 Dave
29th June 2004, 15:33
No read the rules, no competition engine parts, chassis have always been free, as are carbs & ignitions

F5 Dave
29th June 2004, 15:36
Why would you want to wear less than your best protective gear?,the grounds just as hard falling off a bucket as it is off any other bike and one of the most serious injuries I saw down here last season was from racing buckets.

I guess when people ask how you scuffed your flash leathers it doesn't sound quite as good saying I crashed my bucket :bleh:

Leathers on their own only stop abrasion injury. The speeds are lower so the quality of leather doesn’t necessarily need to be top notch as it doesn’t have to slide for as long, that does not excuse seams that burst though. The armour however should be just as good. That is where you should put your money.

Kickaha
29th June 2004, 15:43
Leathers on their own only stop abrasion injury. The speeds are lower so the quality of leather doesn’t necessarily need to be top notch as it doesn’t have to slide for as long, that does not excuse seams that burst though. The armour however should be just as good. That is where you should put your money.

Good point I keep forgetting its mostly short track racing up there,apart from Blenheim we mostly run larger circuits.

FROSTY
29th June 2004, 17:00
Surely any bucket housed in a RS125 frame is going to be illegal? Wasnt one of the main rules was no competition race parts allowed, so ruling out road race and MX engine, brakes etc? Why not just import a moriwaki 80, theres a few racing in Oz?
Guys used to run CB100's with XR200 based engines, these were pretty quick.
Since sold my two strokes.
A rs125 would be no fun at mt wellington without some work
They simply dont turn in fast enough.
as for moriwaki 80 etc as I understand the new rules you can run up to 100cc water cooled in open buckets -to cater for just that sort of motor.
Again though dont be suprised at mt wellington if ya get overrrun by the 4 stroke boys.
on the bigger cuircuits yep itd be great fun

F5 Dave
29th June 2004, 17:07
The moriwaki is by definition a competition engine & therefore not eligiable, as is MX & kart engines so also not eligiable.

The RS chassis I always thought would not be suitable for tight courses but awsome for more flowing tracks. Perhaps it can be jacked up a bit. was an idea, but they are a bit long.

They are too long eh?. Not so at all! Just throw them on their sides & they turn with the best of them. Better in fact.

They are the same length as an RG50 which in turn is much shorter than most other bikes. On Sunday we raced in a carpark with the tightest corners (& I have raced Mt Wgtn for 6x 2 hours & 2 GPs so I know it well enough) but the RS framed 50s were kicking everyones arses 100s, 140 fourstrokes et all. :2guns:

speedpro
29th June 2004, 21:26
[QUOTE=XJ/FROSTY as I understand the new rules you can run up to 100cc water cooled in open buckets [/QUOTE]

Actually the "new" rules, which are about 7 years old now, didn't change that aspect of the rules at all. 100cc watercooled motors have been allowed forever as long as they meet all the other requirements.

The new rules upped the 4-stroke capacity limit to 140cc, allowed 125cc 2-strokes if they were aircooled and only had a 24mm carb, and 100cc 4-strokes were allowed into F5. Nothing got outlawed and nothing was made obsolete. The winning buckets still comply with the "old" rules with the exception (sometimes) of some John Connor built 140cc CB125Ts.

FROSTY
29th June 2004, 22:48
[QUOTE=F5 Dave]The moriwaki is by definition a competition engine & therefore not eligiable, as is MX & kart engines so also not eligiable.

The RS chassis I always thought would not be suitable for tight courses but awsome for more flowing tracks. Perhaps it can be jacked up a bit. was an idea, but they are a bit long.

They are too long eh?. Not so at all! Just throw them on their sides & they turn with the best of them. Better in fact.

Well shit a brick dude You live and learn I saw the rs125's getting embarrressed at mt wellington and just thought they diddnt turn fast enough like you did - I wonder then how the fxr chassis will work

Eddieb
30th June 2004, 07:02
F5 dave on his RS125 framed 50 last weekend.

Dave, pm me your email address so I can send the 3 photos through, they're much the same as this one but with more background.

F5 Dave
30th June 2004, 09:15
Thanks Eddie, though pity it was a pic when I’m only 15 degrees from vertical, hardly illustrates my point, :baby: but this was a fast corner, mumble excuse etc. . .

Some people are using 250cc chassis & getting on ok, but that is a limitation. The FXR is considerably smaller & should be fine esp. compared with most buckets archaic chassis. Having said that I’m surprised how well a G4TR Kawa 100 can be made to handle.

gav
30th June 2004, 09:25
Thanks Eddie, though pity it was a pic when I’m only 15 degrees from vertical, hardly illustrates my point, :baby: but this was a fast corner, mumble excuse etc. . .

Some people are using 250cc chassis & getting on ok, but that is a limitation. The FXR is considerably smaller & should be fine esp. compared with most buckets archaic chassis. Having said that I’m surprised how well a G4TR Kawa 100 can be made to handle.
ah yes the old Good 4 Track Racing kawi , the ole rotary valve motor sure could hum, been there, done that!

FROSTY
30th June 2004, 09:33
[QUOTE=F5 Dave]Thanks Eddie, though pity it was a pic when I’m only 15 degrees from vertical, hardly illustrates my point, :baby: but this was a fast corner, mumble excuse etc. . .

Doncha just hate that-All my pics are me setting up for a corner not actually in the corner :devil2: mind you a couple of feet furthur right and ya knee woulda been toast
That looks like a fun place to race--Where was it?

F5 Dave
30th June 2004, 09:55
It’s a carpark in Granada north (Tawa wgtn). It’s ok, but a little small. We are trying to get back on the kart track here (that’s a long story & lets not get into it).

There was one corner that was so tight that the only way around it on the RS was to drop it on it’s side & lean for England. If you tried to come up the inside of someone the steering lock would prevent you turning tight & upright. Pretty scary really. :sweatdrop

Oh yeah the Cops turned up & we thought, oh great a complaint, but they were just killin' time & sat at the end putting the radar on us. Coming out of the corner pictured I was doing 72k apparently. Yeah it's a short track.

Kickaha
30th June 2004, 18:58
It’s a carpark in Granada north (Tawa wgtn). It’s ok, but a little small. We are trying to get back on the kart track here (that’s a long story & lets not get into it).

If you get back on the kart track there's a couple of us that will come up for a meeting,but having been to a meeting at Tawa I don't think I could get many interested in coming up for that,I think we're just spoilt with the tracks down here.

F5 Dave
1st July 2004, 09:09
Progress is being made as well speak I believe. There’s room at my place to crash for a small contingent, we’ll let you know as it happens.

Eddieb
3rd July 2004, 21:15
Hi XJ/Frosty You didn't get a chance to check out the sizings of those leathers?

Eddieb
7th July 2004, 10:32

No worries, I saw you sent me a reply but my email chewed it up so I don't know what it said.

Sent my club membeship to vic off last week, not sure if I will get it back in time to get a race license before the 25th though.

Eddieb
25th August 2004, 11:33
For those who are interested in having a look, the next round of the bucket racing in Wellington is this sunday at Tawa market Gardens.

As long as it's not pissing down with rain or something similiar I'll be there (Ratty Suzuki GS125, #33), hopefully around 10:30.

Practice starts around 10am with racing starting around 12-12:30.

Dave, you going to be there this month?

Has anyone heard any news of any progress towards racing at Kaitoke?

F5 Dave
25th August 2004, 11:45
Good point, as I was jumping out of the shower this morning (try not to visualise) I thought I should post a thing on the bucket racing this weekend so you beat me to it (ok I forgot again).

Yes I will be there racing if it isn’t too miserable. The bike is all back together & should be a bit better sorted than the last meeting’s last min lashup.

My trusty H100 will be there if a newbie want a go (& I can remember to drag it out). No. 27

Actually I am thinking about selling the H as I mainly ride the 50 these days & should really move onto finishing the new (started 6 yrs ago) 100 project (after the 750 project is complete).

Not sure re Kiatoke. Andrew might know some more.

Blakamin
25th August 2004, 12:18
HHmmmm... a motorsport weekend. might have to come down on sunday for a look and then think about trying to get some money from the mrs to try it out myself!

F5 Dave
25th August 2004, 12:20
Bring your leathers & check the on line trading for my advert in a while.

Eddieb
25th August 2004, 12:26
There was another bike for sale there last time as well. An early RGV250 framed 2 stroke, I think an H100 or mb100. The guy wanted about $600 with $300 of new tyres on it.

p.s. Dave, did I see you biking up Belmont hill last weekend?

F5 Dave
25th August 2004, 12:32
What something with pedals? I must have a familiar looking ass. :love:

Eddieb
25th August 2004, 12:40
Actually I was heading towards said cyclist on a steep bit of the hill, but the face was so screwed with pleasure/pain I thought whoever was riding must have had the seat off or something. :moon:

F5 Dave
26th August 2004, 09:17
It appears Vic club have rangled 6 Kiatoke meetings for next year. First one will likely be a 2hr or something special & we'll try to invite as many out of towners as poss.

FROSTY
26th August 2004, 16:03
It appears Vic club have rangled 6 Kiatoke meetings for next year. First one will likely be a 2hr or something special & we'll try to invite as many out of towners as poss.
Hey ive got access to a couple of 50 buckets so It might be a cool excuse to head on down :eek:

F5 Dave
26th August 2004, 16:22
Can put you up either at my place or somewhere.

Kickaha
26th August 2004, 18:22

Well at least a couple of the Southern lads will come up to to give some North Island butt a kicking at one of them :Pokey: ,or more likely piss about at the back of the field and finish last :bleh:

toads
26th August 2004, 18:25
thanks for enlightening us frosty, but can you tell me why it's called bucket racing, these are normal two wheeler bikes aren't they?, how do you convert a normal road bike into a bucket racer?, ie what changes/modifications are nessecery, not that it really matters to me one way or t'other cos we don't have any kind of track here in Gisborne anyway.If there was my son would be into this!!
Also how many casulaties have you witnessed in this sport as opposed to say speedway?
Do you think it's safer or better regulated?

Eddieb
26th August 2004, 20:33
but can you tell me why it's called bucket racing, these are normal two wheeler bikes aren't they?

Well they were once upon a time

how do you convert a normal road bike into a bucket racer?, ie what changes/modifications are nessecery

Find the cheapest piece of c**p you can find, take off anything not absolutely essential to make the wheels go round, crash it a few times, paint it several different colours, throw half of the remaining bits away and replace them with parts off other makes & models so it's true parentage is as hard as possible to recognise

From the (very) small amount of experience i've had I would say yes and no, you need all the usual safety equipment as with any other race class, but it seems fairly relaxed and unofficial beyond meeting standard Motorcycle NZ regulations. ACcidents I have seen have been lucky to have been over 20-30km/h

SPORK
26th August 2004, 20:52
thanks for enlightening us frosty, but can you tell me why it's called bucket racing, these are normal two wheeler bikes aren't they?, how do you convert a normal road bike into a bucket racer?, ie what changes/modifications are nessecery, not that it really matters to me one way or t'other cos we don't have any kind of track here in Gisborne anyway.If there was my son would be into this!!
Also how many casulaties have you witnessed in this sport as opposed to say speedway?
I think the reason they are called bucket racers is that they are buckets of shit.

From what I have heard anyway

FROSTY
26th August 2004, 21:35
Holey cow lady thats a nest of worms.
1) buckets came from the airforce days when buckets were the old buckets of shit the guys had as hanger hacks (transport from hanger to hanger)
Then they marked out a track at Whenuapai and started to improve the bikes.
2) Look at the wanna go racing thread -and a bucket racer must meet all those rules Other than that i wouldnt bother for a novice racer.
It looks complicated but its real easy if ya follow the setup rules I gave in wanna go racing.
With a bucket I always suggest get the best tyres money can buy and I prefer reliable over performance.
3)Reality toads any form of motor sport is dangerous.
On the carpark and go cart tracks the speeds are relatively slow-60-70km/h are the top speeds so even though you crash a lot the damage is usually limited to a few bruised and scrapes.
I hurt my neck quite badly and a bloke busted his shoulder blade but that was over a period of 4 years -so pretty low risk.
I would suggest it is "safer " than speedway and you sure learn a lot of racecraft.
On the big tracks a bucket is getting up to some pretty fast speeds so its as dangerous as any other class of road racing.
In short-as far as bang for your buck goes bucket racing is a lot of racing for your dollar.

Kickaha
26th August 2004, 21:43
I think the reason they are called bucket racers is that they are buckets of shit.

From what I have heard anyway

Yep,Buckets have always had bad press,we run at the local BEARs days here and we're not allowed to run any other class(even pre 82) but our own as our riding is "too agressive" I think thats just an excuse to stop the bigger bikes being done over by the buckets

They have evolved (in some cases anyway) from being truly "buckets of shit" to pretty much purpose built race bikes with some interesting engines and good handling frames

At the moment here we have a CB100 turbo being built,once that is done there are two GP100/RG400 reverse cylinder motors on the drawing board and I've seen a GP100/NSR250 hybrid engine as well

Frames,anything from Rods RS125/MB100 to bog stock AX100,CB125,GN125 with at least one purpose built tube framed CB125 and a custom built Alloy frame being planned for next season

Kickaha
26th August 2004, 22:19
3)Reality toads any form of motor sport is dangerous.
On the carpark and go cart tracks the speeds are relatively slow-60-70km/h are the top speeds so even though you crash a lot the damage is usually limited to a few bruised and scrapes.
I hurt my neck quite badly and a bloke busted his shoulder blade but that was over a period of 4 years -so pretty low risk.
I would suggest it is "safer " than speedway and you sure learn a lot of racecraft.
On the big tracks a bucket is getting up to some pretty fast speeds so its as dangerous as any other class of road racing.

Well in the last two seasons Daryll broke his collarbone,I broke my schapoid and Neil broke his collarbone,now thats over about 24 events totaling about 70 individual races,safe as house really :ride:

toads
27th August 2004, 08:27
well thanks guys for giving me some idea of what it's' all about, I saw those crash photos and thought of my son out there hooning on his cbr with the notion he's invincible and thought I'd love to see some safer way for him to get good racing experience with less risk than out on the open road. The cheaper and easier that a motorsport is to get into the better, the competitive and highly regulated nature of speedway has pretty much put it beyond the reach of the average Joe with no money. We have a heap of old wrecks here that could all be resurrected for this purpose. I know the council have had talks of making a boyracer track somewhere here to try and encourage them to get off the road and flex their muscles and ooze testosterone in a regulated area, the main problem with this is that they won't be interested in being regulated. So there may well be some sort of track facility built here and never utilised.!! I may write to the GDC and suggest this as an alternative.

FROSTY
27th August 2004, 10:41
Well in the last two seasons Daryll broke his collarbone,I broke my schapoid and Neil broke his collarbone,now thats over about 24 events totaling about 70 individual races,safe as house really :ride:
Putting that in prospective though kick--dont you race on the big tracks--as in full sized tracks not carparks n stuff

Eddieb
27th August 2004, 11:02
Putting that in prospective though kick--dont you race on the big tracks--as in full sized tracks not carparks n stuff

Oh I wish I wish I wish

F5 Dave
27th August 2004, 11:17
Big ccts are boring, but the back bit of Ruapuna & Manfield are ok for variety. Taupo is quite good too, but I prefer it when they put in a couple of chicanes.

Go kart tracks are the best without a doubt & Kiatoke is one of the best. The best IMHO is Blenheim. Stella fun.

Carrs rd I only rode in the rain & it was too slippery to be any fun. Mt Wgtn is ok but getting bumpier. Tauramanui is great fun if a little short. Palmerston is good too.

FROSTY
27th August 2004, 11:52
Hey dave did you make it up to the meeting held in the freezing works carpark just north of hamilton.
Well remembered if you did -leathers stunk of watered down cow shit for months afterwards.

F5 Dave
27th August 2004, 12:17
urrr, no I don't think I would have travelled so far for that. :no:

We used to race at the Longburn freezing works in Palmerston north, but it wasn't whiffy at all.

Bring back Ohakea airforce base! the tarmac was real grippy & you had enough space to lay out some real hella tracks.

Raced the last meeting at chch airbase (starting with B something?) & that was similar, but not as good tarmac.

Frosty, so you've raced Mt Wgtn a ways back from the sounds, just trying to place you, what bike did you have?

Pickle
27th August 2004, 12:52
Shit Dave Longburn was shocking, really slippery if it got wet, so bad you couldnt race cause of all the grease & shit from the works.
Ohakea was the buisness, as you say real grippy and some good tracks laid out. great when the Bucket GPs were held there.

F5 Dave
27th August 2004, 13:54
I didn’t say I liked Longburn, just that it didn’t smell. Most of the grease was left in the carpark by the workers HQs etc

Yeah I was going to expand that Ohakea GP around the base race was really good fun, even if a couple of those curbs were a bit scary. Esp. that one exiting out onto the tarmac! If you fell into there there’d be no coming out.

I remember you furiously punting a wobbling CB125T to take out the B 100 race from memory.

Other good GPs were Foxton, through that dip section & up the hill again, & I also liked Ohakuni although both me & your bro were a little bit damaged from our coming together.

Kickaha
27th August 2004, 18:19

Yeah I went to Grenada North and I wouldn't bother coming up for a meeting there.

We mainly run Ruapuna B Track,which would be Taupo size,we also run the full Levels track and went to Teretonga the other weekend and ran full track we also do Greymouth and Nelson street races

Raced the last meeting at chch airbase (starting with B something?) & that was similar, but not as good tarmac.

Well if Wigram starts with a B,that was the first bucket race I ever did.

Blenheim is awesome but I struggle with the small tracks after running the big ones all the time and the Aotea Wankers (residents) association has made it impossible to run at Carrs road again

FROSTY
27th August 2004, 18:39
Frosty, so you've raced Mt Wgtn a ways back from the sounds, just trying to place you, what bike did you have?
dave-I started out on a honda MB50--Ill scan the pic into my puter.
First meeting was one of the last at the Wiri container terminal.
It was totally stock except I took the seat off,cut the back off the tank and raced her. it was semi competative back then
-well if ya dont count the
Then I had a TF100 based bucket with gt125/185 front end and a square swing arm out of -shit actually I dont remember.
Then the suzuki rg50 came out -a little pocket rocket. two stroke water cooled All I did to mine was change the front sprocket.
I played around on a friggin horrible contraption-xl125 based with a gt185 front end-Bubbles grey origonaly built it up and I dunno why bit I could never get the bloody thing to run right.
I gave it up for awile -focussed on "real" racing
I bought one of the rowan mb50's and had a huuge off on the sweeper
I hurt my neck pretty bad so i gave it all up.

Eddieb
27th August 2004, 20:20
Big ccts are boring,

Kaitoke would seen huge after the carparks I would imagine. I think the buckets would a bit lost somewhere like manfeild but for me I'm looking foward to Kaitoke.

gav
27th August 2004, 22:16
I started racing at Redwood Valley Kart track (Nelson) and used to travel to Woodbourne and Blenheim Kart track. Raced at Greymouth, Port Nelson, Wigram, Carrs Road and Ruapuna. First bike Suzuki GT50, then KV100 sold to newbie, built another bike (this happened alot, let new guy ride, hes keen as, hey, just buy this! cool, hang on I need another bike!! :eek: )

speedpro
27th August 2004, 23:06
I liked Taupo when the Hamilton club ran the GP there. Mt Wellington is smaller than I prefer. One track that noone has mentioned is Wanganui, what a hoot carving up 400s throught the esses and into flower garden or whatever it's called now. Manfield round the front part, back on the return road and through the entrance to the pits and back out onto the straight through the gap (which isn't there any more I think) in the concrete pit wall onto the straight. The Shell 2 Wheeler on the main circuit was fun as well, chasing Stefan Merriman on a CR125 and some other guy on a Kawasaki KX125. Merriman kept sliding both wheels round the inside of me on the sweeper with both feet up at about 90mph smooth as silk. He's a God on the bikes. Other tracks I've liked would be Ohakea which could be soooo fast, Wigram, Kaitoke and Blenheim kart tracks which are soo much fun especially with the SI guys at Blenheim. Tracks that aint so hot - Ohakune which I found to be a bit abrasive, Carrs Road which I found to be a bit wet. The Wiri container terminal was good but that is going back a bit and Whenuapai had potential as well. I had a little watercooled Suzuki AC50 back then - handling? what handling??

FROSTY
28th August 2004, 10:17
I liked Taupo when the Hamilton club ran the GP there. Mt Wellington is smaller than I prefer. One track that noone has mentioned is Wanganui, what a hoot carving up 400s throught the esses and into flower garden or whatever it's called now. Manfield round the front part, back on the return road and through the entrance to the pits and back out onto the straight through the gap (which isn't there any more I think) in the concrete pit wall onto the straight. The Shell 2 Wheeler on the main circuit was fun as well, chasing Stefan Merriman on a CR125 and some other guy on a Kawasaki KX125. Merriman kept sliding both wheels round the inside of me on the sweeper with both feet up at about 90mph smooth as silk. He's a God on the bikes. Other tracks I've liked would be Ohakea which could be soooo fast, Wigram, Kaitoke and Blenheim kart tracks which are soo much fun especially with the SI guys at Blenheim. Tracks that aint so hot - Ohakune which I found to be a bit abrasive, Carrs Road which I found to be a bit wet. The Wiri container terminal was good but that is going back a bit and Whenuapai had potential as well. I had a little watercooled Suzuki AC50 back then - handling? what handling??
Sp--we must have raced together at some stage.

Eddieb
28th August 2004, 21:14
Tomorrow isn't looking so promising with this weather, bugger it all. :angry2: :crybaby:

F5 Dave
1st September 2004, 09:30
Yeah, have been down in chch for a couple of days & rememebred that Wigram must be a funny spelling with a B on the front.

Eddie, you missed a great day racing. Yes it rained but it was surprisingly grippy & then it dried out totally for the last couple of races.

StoneChucker
29th September 2004, 17:14
I've read the thread, and from what I can summise, you need to get a bike at or under 140cc? Doesn't matter what, but 2 or 4 stroke is your choice? What about a racing licence, and how do you pay the course fee's, on the day?

Does the bike need a wof / rego? How often are the events run in / near Wgtn? I know these have been covered, but I'm still lost.

Can I just turn up at an event after I get my bike?
I appreciate it if someone can humour me and lend a halfwit a hand :msn-wink:

Eddieb
29th September 2004, 17:33
2 stroke up to 100cc, 4 stroke up to 140cc. I have a 4 stroke 125 but would probably go 2 stroke if I upgraded the bike.
Races normally the last sunday of each month in Upper Hutt/Tawa/Kaitoke depending on the month.
No reg/wof etc required but bike needs to meet race conditions as per MNZ rules, i.e. wired sump plug, fluid catch bottle etc.
Kaitoke also require crash bungs to stop their surface getting damaged when you bin it.
Yes you need a race license $80, to get one of those you also need to belong to a MNZ affiliated club, e.g. Vic MC club $40.
Entry is $25 entry per class raced in paid on the day.

Yes you just turn up and go for it.

And I think F5Dave's still got a bike for sale....

Marknz
29th September 2004, 17:40
...and I do believe there is a race meeting at the General Motors carpark in Upper Hutt this Sunday. Pop up and have a look SC, I'll be up there.

StoneChucker
29th September 2004, 17:47
Will look into this sooon...

Ivan
2nd May 2005, 21:16
Hey Dave do you have a bike for sale is it a 50cc or do you know of any around

F5 Dave
3rd May 2005, 09:32
sorry nope.

speedpro
3rd May 2005, 10:58
Hey Dave do you have a bike for sale is it a 50cc or do you know of any around
Try Pete Sales at Total Motorcycles, 06-3296868. He has gone on to other things and his buckets are for sale. He wants quite a bit for them(in bucket terms) but they are absolute top notch buckets with nothing to do to them.

cjd
29th June 2007, 07:29
Hi i am new to Kiwi Biker so please be nice. I am looking for a do up bike for my 16 year old and i to play with She likes the look of Suzuki A100's or B120 ?? is there one out there that mite be cheep or free for her to play with Thans Craig

Rashika
29th June 2007, 07:31
trademe is your friend. usually quite a bit of stuff on there at not too bad prices, have a looksee. And welcome to KB ;)

codgyoleracer
2nd July 2007, 15:57
Bucket racing rocks, done it & enjoyed it, very close racing with lots of rider & fairings bashing into each other & bloody cheap. Speeds not insane - so damage control for rider & bike is pretty moderate usually.... :scooter:

t3mp0r4ry nzr
2nd July 2007, 20:54
Bucket racing rocks, done it & enjoyed it, very close racing with lots of rider & fairings bashing into each other & bloody cheap. Speeds not insane - so damage control for rider & bike is pretty moderate usually.... :scooter:

is there bucket racing in the manamatu/wanganui area glen?

codgyoleracer
3rd July 2007, 08:27
Sorry dont know if anyone runs bucket meets in the manawatu, last time I did some bucket stuff was at the 2hour "bucket endurance race" in Auckland a couple of years back. Great fun. :yes:

Sam I Am
7th July 2007, 22:26
hi there wanting to try to build and race a bucket at Mt Wellington

i could do with some advice on picking a bike was thinking of a 50cc 2 stroke
but unsure you can have 100cc 2stroke ? is that a different class or is there only one class ?

Any pointers would be helpfull not really planing on winning anything. just going for a slow blast and tinkering on the bike.

Rashika
8th July 2007, 07:45
Have a look here for anything to do with bucket racing in NZ, and there are 2 classes, F4 and F5
http://buckets.nzsbf.co.nz/

F4 is the main class of buckets (at least it seems to be the most popular class) and to ride in that the limits of the bike are: 150 4 stroke and 125 2stroke (limited: no carbs bigger than 24mm and must be aircoooled bikes). e.g. FXR150s are ok to race in F4
F5 is the lower cc'd class, cant remember the spec off hand.

Have a read of the website for more info. There is a huge group of racers down here in chch, and we run the Battle of the buckets in sept... big bucket meet with an endurance race chucked in for good measure.

Good luck in getting a bike to race, It really is HEAPS of fun!! :Punk:

dangerous
8th July 2007, 09:17

Thats right it does :rockon: so why dont a bunch of you guys way up there sort ya shit out and head down for the countrys biggest bestest bucket meet of the year... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=53114

Sam I Am
8th July 2007, 22:27
There is a huge group of racers down here in chch, and we run the Battle of the buckets in sept... big bucket meet with an endurance race chucked in for good measure.

Good luck in getting a bike to race, It really is HEAPS of fun!! :Punk:

thanks for all that info

i think i will rock on down to Mt Wellington next weekend :scooter:

SHELRACING
9th July 2007, 21:04
thanks for all that info

i think i will rock on down to Mt Wellington next weekend :scooter:

Definitley come down. If you are there on Saturday we maybe able to hook you up with a ride.
Make sure you bring down all your riding gear.
See you there!

Sam I Am
10th July 2007, 00:13
Definitley come down. If you are there on Saturday we maybe able to hook you up with a ride.
Make sure you bring down all your riding gear.
See you there!

SHELRACING !
YEP i'm hoping to be there. What is the best time to be there?
and how will i find you ?

sam

Sam I Am
11th July 2007, 17:14
SHELRACING !
YEP i'm hoping to be there. What is the best time to be there?
and how will i find you ?

sam

sorry just read my reply... Opps looks like i forgot to mention thats a amazing offer and to say thanks Shel Rracing .

Flyno
17th July 2007, 13:00
buckets, wow they are crazy little contraptions!
fun tho

Flyno
17th July 2007, 13:01
crazy litlle bucket bikes, won the motomart challenge tho, on stevens hot tz50, so so fun!

Stevec
10th August 2007, 21:56
how often do they do bucket racing at manfield. Looks like a heap of fun and is cheap

Skunk
10th August 2007, 22:06
how often do they do bucket racing at manfield. Looks like a heap of fun and is cheap
I don't think we will again. The track hire is too much. Wellington runs at the Slipway (a drift track in Wellingon) and Hawkes Bay at Waipawa (sp?).