PDA

View Full Version : Windshield/Windscreen restoration

Nitzer
16th July 2006, 17:29
Hi all

I've munted the inside of my bike windscreen by accidently (and stupidly) spraying petrol over it.

Now before I attempt to find a replacement I was wondering if anybody may have any suggestions to how I MIGHT be able to clean it up a little to at least make it look slightly better that it does at the moment!

Cheers

TonyB
16th July 2006, 17:38
Mine came up pretty good after a polish with Turtle wax "Extreme Cleaner Wax".

NinjaBoy
16th July 2006, 20:40
Did something similar. Try the PlastX its a clear plastic polisher with some micro-fine abrasives. Available at Repco and other similar automotive stores

trumpy
16th July 2006, 21:13
My business partner used to have to restore jet fighter canopies to mint condition when he was in the Airforce. I think he used various grades of superfine (around 3000 grit) wet and dry. Will check with him in the morning and post his advice.

Nitzer
17th July 2006, 10:08
Thanks all for all your help and replies, much appreciated! :yes:

trumpy
17th July 2006, 17:52
Spoke to my business partner today - the method used in the Airforce was lengthy and required a special kit with wet and dry ranging from 1000 to 10,000 grit!!! and a special polish. It also took a long time to get a perfect finish. His suggestion for minor damage is toothpaste (it's a very fine abrasive) and then poilshing up the whole screen with Pledge. Worth a try.... cheap anyway if it works!

Nitzer
17th July 2006, 18:55
Spoke to my business partner today - the method used in the Airforce was lengthy and required a special kit with wet and dry ranging from 1000 to 10,000 grit!!! and a special polish. It also took a long time to get a perfect finish. His suggestion for minor damage is toothpaste (it's a very fine abrasive) and then poilshing up the whole screen with Pledge. Worth a try.... cheap anyway if it works!

Appreciate your help on this, thanks a lot! Will try to fix anyway

TCT
18th July 2006, 17:50
Mequires PlastX is the way to go. I used it and find that even a "tainted" wind screen will clear away and looks like new. Awesome product.

Nitzer
18th July 2006, 21:51
Mequires PlastX is the way to go. I used it and find that even a "tainted" wind screen will clear away and looks like new. Awesome product.

Cool, I think I'll give that stuff a bash.

I quickly tried some toothpaste this morning on the windscreen and it worked surprisingly well.

We try the PlastX stuff as my windshield is pretty tainted because of the spilt petrol

FROSTY
18th July 2006, 22:09
on badly fogged headlights I use a fine cutting compound -cut/polish

Hotchefnz
19th July 2006, 10:28
BRASSO - I kid you not........
Try a little in a top corner and see - my screen was foggy as shit - original screen on a 89 bike and got told if you clean with brasso it would come up clear again.
It did - dont know how it would work on todays screens - but you never know.
Use it and buff it while still damp I was told - dont let it dry.

Might help

Nitzer
19th July 2006, 10:56
BRASSO - I kid you not........
Try a little in a top corner and see - my screen was foggy as shit - original screen on a 89 bike and got told if you clean with brasso it would come up clear again.
It did - dont know how it would work on todays screens - but you never know.
Use it and buff it while still damp I was told - dont let it dry.

Might help

Cheers for that, will remember that one too!

ManDownUnder
19th July 2006, 10:59
Try Armoral... does a bloody god job of hiding scratches etc but I'm not sure how it'll affect things you're facing.

TCT
19th July 2006, 12:14
By the way, Mequires PlastX is also very good for the plastic lenses - indicators and the like.

Nitzer
19th July 2006, 14:48
By the way, Mequires PlastX is also very good for the plastic lenses - indicators and the like.

I will head down to Repco at the weekend and try the PlasticX stuff as a few people have recommended it.

Skyryder
30th July 2006, 16:09
I got Novus to do mine about $30 if I remember correctly.

Skyryder