PDA

View Full Version : FZR1000. please help.

gpj16
17th July 2006, 17:59
I recently hit a false neutral between 2nd and 3rd. Unfortunately it did not decide to reselect a gear until it was doing 11500 rpm. This made a loud noise. I limped home with it making a rhythmic clonking noise related to but many times slower than crankshaft speed. Does anyone have any idea what might have happened as I am trying to decide if and how to fix???????
thanks for any help or opinions>

DingDong
17th July 2006, 18:04
bent selector maybe?, good luck

T.W.R
17th July 2006, 18:21
with it deciding to reselect a gear at those revs, I'd say probably a broken selector fork & maybe shattered gear sprocket guide pins unfortunately.

Welcome to KB too

TonyB
17th July 2006, 18:38
Look up The EXUP Brotherhood forum. They should be able to help. Would you be the owner of the 91ish FZR I see going from Blenheim road onto Morehouse ave every morning on my way to work at about 7:45

Kickaha
17th July 2006, 18:39
Maybe broken a tooth off a gear

gpj16
17th July 2006, 20:20
No thats not me on Moorehouse ave. Mine is a gunmetal 1990.

paturoa
17th July 2006, 20:43
First thing is to give it an oil change, capture the oil in a large tub and examine closely.

If there is any sign of any metal bits then you may regret having riden home.

gpj16
17th July 2006, 21:44
Only rode 1km home. Nothing abnormal in the oil when I dropped it out. I cant understand how you can chip a tooth from constant mesh gears though that is what it sounds like to me???

TonyB
17th July 2006, 21:48
No thats not me on Moorehouse ave. Mine is a gunmetal 1990.
SNAP! Look at my profile.

paturoa
17th July 2006, 21:51
Only rode 1km home. Nothing abnormal in the oil when I dropped it out. I cant understand how you can chip a tooth from constant mesh gears though that is what it sounds like to me???

There is a bunch of stuff wizzing around in there, dogs, slots, clutch basket etc.

I havn't pulled apart a fizzer b4, but would suggest dropping off the clutch cover and see what you can see. Measure the clutch plates while u r there.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=10556

gpj16
18th July 2006, 07:33
had a look at the clutch. it is pretty worn but still doing the trick. With the plates out and the bike in gear you can turn the clutch hub about 45 degrees in 1st then done to about 10 degrees when in fifth>
Does anyone know if this is normal ?
I have nothing to compare it to.
If abnormal I guess I have a bunch of knackered bearings
I tried jimmying the output shaft and cant seem to get it to move

I know i have to pull it down but is it really worth fixing?

pete376403
28th July 2006, 20:29
I understand that FZR gearboxes (especially the earlier ones) are less than rugged. My sons FZR1000 (87) jumps out of every gear except 1st and 5th. I've been searching all over the 'net but so far been unable to locate another transmission. FZ700 / FZR750 6 speeds are apparently a drop in but are even weaker because the gears are narrower (but still just as hard to find.)
One of the Sydney wreckers yards (Liverpool IIRC) has a whole 87 engine but is $A1500 and shipping it here would cost a bundle as well.
The other thing wrong with the FZR motor is that you have to pull the head and cylinder block to get at some bolts before the cases can be split - so that's at least another $A200 for a complete engine gasket set (Athena brand from Bert Kingston)
I'd scrap the bike but apart from the gears, it's just too bloody good.

imdying
28th July 2006, 20:32
You can have it rebuilt. Mike Jones Gears here in Chch does a good job. Can have the selector forks built up, selector drum sorted, gears undercut etc etc and rehardened. Cheaper than a A$1500.

/edit: Just strip it and take him the whole contents of the box, they'll figure out what's wrong and right it.

**R1**
28th July 2006, 20:36
You can have it rebuilt. Mike Jones Gears here in Chch does a good job. Can have the selector forks built up, selector drum sorted, gears undercut etc etc and rehardened. Cheaper than a A$1500.

/edit: Just strip it and take him the whole contents of the box, they'll figure out what's wrong and right it.yeah he's the man alright, he's done one of my gearboxes b4 and he's rebuilding my primary gear at the mo...way way cheaper than new parts...