PDA

View Full Version : Steering-damper oil

aff-man
17th July 2006, 19:18
rebuilding the steering damper.. just wanting to know what oil to use?

Sensei
17th July 2006, 19:52
Ohlins about 2w

soundbeltfarm
17th July 2006, 20:26
i changed the oil in my damper on the TL which is the standard one which has no adjustment.
i looked on TL planet when i done mine and they all suggested a lighter oil so i went to Rock oil SVI 2.5 and it made quite a difference from the standard weight they came out with.
i haven't noticed any bad effects from it either.

aff-man
17th July 2006, 20:57
i changed the oil in my damper on the TL which is the standard one which has no adjustment.
i looked on TL planet when i done mine and they all suggested a lighter oil so i went to Rock oil SVI 2.5 and it made quite a difference from the standard weight they came out with.
i haven't noticed any bad effects from it either.

Where does one buy such oil?? (I put some compressor oil in cause it's not that thick and it's done the job but would like something a little better if I can find it)

I think it's an old daytona one ... it's adjustable.

soundbeltfarm
18th July 2006, 08:11
I got mine from Hawera motorcycles but im sure any bike shop will have it.
just in a 500ml bottle and it cost (just go have a look) $18 but was well worth it.
to do it i just done what they said on TL planet and it worked well.
just got a little funnel and piece of tube that fit on end of funnel and over the little fill part on damper.
filled funnel with a small amount of oil then slowly slid damper arm in and out until it got rid of the air bubbles.
Robert Taylor said since it's not an ajustdable damper it will need a real little air bubble for expansion. I just kept sliding it till it worked with friction along all its travel both ways and then just screwed the screw back in and then out then back in to give the small air bubble.
It has been so much better since i done it.
I can send you some oil if you want.
i got about 350 mls left.
so your're welcome to it if you want it.

aff-man
18th July 2006, 12:47
Cheers man... probably get some lighter stuff as mine is adjustable so needs be be pretty light on the light side...

It's easy enough to get into (took it apart last night)

Cheers for the help

HDTboy
18th July 2006, 13:01
Just use ATF, it's cheap and plentiful

EnzoYug
16th December 2009, 12:41
I tried using ATF (Power steering fluid also works apparently) to re-fill my Gixxer 600 k6 stock damper.

Worked a treat! Will let you know how it pans out of the next week. I have two stock dampers, both average in quality - will load one with 5 weight oil and see what's thicker / works better and report here.

Robert Taylor
16th December 2009, 12:54
Just use ATF, it's cheap and plentiful

And has a very low viscosity index. Steering dampers can get quite hot and ATF will fade very quickly. I have a better way of introducing an air bubble. Ring me on 06 751 2100

Robert Taylor
16th December 2009, 13:04
I tried using ATF (Power steering fluid also works apparently) to re-fill my Gixxer 600 k6 stock damper.

Worked a treat! Will let you know how it pans out of the next week. I have two stock dampers, both average in quality - will load one with 5 weight oil and see what's thicker / works better and report here.

Dont go too heavy in viscosity, it will make it too lazy at low velocity handlebar movements. The steering damper needs to have a progression rate that is weak at low velocity movements and just the right amount of resistance at sudden ''jerk'' movements. Most oem steering dampers are crude in that respect and no amount of messing with viscosity will give you the ideal curve. They also cavitate rather badly and have poor hysterisis, in part because they lack pressurisation and pressure balance.
You will indeed get it better but still well below the performance and ''feel'' of a high quality high end aftermarket damper.
Just for information we removed the electronic steering dampers off Craig Shirriffs and Hayden Fitzgeralds racing CBR1000RRs and fitted traditional transverse mount Ohlins steering dampers. They both report a massive improvement in front end feel and confidence. Same with the electronic dampers on Strouds and Bugdens K9 GSXR1000s, ditched and substituted with Ohlins hydraulic. There is nothing wrong with electronic actuation concept, its all in the execution.

Yankee Doodle Dandy
16th December 2009, 14:11
Since we are on the subject of steering dampers, I see Ohlins sells the upgrade kit in the attached pic.

Is anyone using this and if so what did you notice?

Robert Taylor
16th December 2009, 16:51
Since we are on the subject of steering dampers, I see Ohlins sells the upgrade kit in the attached pic.

Is anyone using this and if so what did you notice?

Yes, this kit gives a slight pressurisation to the damper but not so much that it increases seal drag. In very hot ambient conditions and bumpy tracks steering dampers get very hot. This ensures stability of performance under such arduous circumstances and also extends the service life of the damper between reoils / rebuilds.
On a dyno you can also note the difference, there is superb pressure balance and very minimal hysterisis on stroke reversal. All new production Ohlins steering dampers now have this kit, albeit in a more compacted form.Here in NZ all the very top runners are using the new series damper, or anyone that purchases late model production.

EnzoYug
20th December 2009, 09:46
Dont go too heavy in viscosity, it will make it too lazy at low velocity handlebar movements....
Just for information we removed the electronic steering dampers off Craig Shirriffs and Hayden Fitzgeralds racing CBR1000RRs and fitted traditional transverse mount Ohlins steering dampers. They both report a massive improvement in front end feel and confidence.

Just took the AFT loaded damper to the Coromandel yesterday - interesting... felt decent on the straights, a bit too fast in bumpy corners however.

Out of interest what's the damage for the Ohlins damper for a k6 gsxr600 - and any ideas where to find a refurbished or decent 2nd hand units? I get the feeling a new one is a bit out of my price range.

Robert Taylor
20th December 2009, 10:19
Just took the AFT loaded damper to the Coromandel yesterday - interesting... felt decent on the straights, a bit too fast in bumpy corners however.

Out of interest what's the damage for the Ohlins damper for a k6 gsxr600 - and any ideas where to find a refurbished or decent 2nd hand units? I get the feeling a new one is a bit out of my price range.

PM me re that. Note also that you absolutely MUST NOT fit just fit the generic Ohlins 68mm transverse steering dampers to GSXRs on the original mounts. The sliding bracket has to be the correct length for operating clearance lock to lock and for the correct mechanical advantage therefore shaft speed therefore damping force.
It eats me up looking at some steering damper installations.