PDA

View Full Version : How good is the Bridgestone Battlax?

Al
17th July 2006, 22:01
My rear tyre needs replacing soon and a new mate of mine in darwin has gifted me a brand new Battlax, 170/60ZR17, the same size that the beemer takes. Can I run a battlax at the back with a michelin on the front, the tread pattern is very similar.

Thanx

Al

Fatjim
17th July 2006, 22:13
Not sure but I think there's different Battleaxes. Got the model no. BTW, most Bridgestones are crap by today's standards.

limbimtimwim
17th July 2006, 22:44
A free tyre is a free tyre!! Get it fitted, and if feels good, sweet. I've had mixed tyres on my 250 and was happy. But then, your big BM isn't a 250. Mixed tyres are considered a no no.. But.. Meh.. Depends on how you ride it I guess.

As fatjim says, lots of Bridgestones carry the 'Battlax' label. I have BT-014s on my 750 and I am not sure sure about them. Uncle B suggested I let them down a bit so they would heat up quicker, worth a shot. They just don't seem too, but then I am a nana. A lot of my uncertainty in them my just be the fact I am still getting to grips with the 750.

I have BT-090s on my 400 and absolutely love them. Excellent tyre, they suit the bike very well. They heat up quite quick, I feel very safe in the wet on them, huge amounts of grip in the dry and they turn quick. But I don't think the 090 comes in that size, maxes out at 160 I think.

Gremlin
17th July 2006, 23:34
As others have said, you need the model number...

I had 014s, they are quite a soft compound. With your heavy bike, if you commute a lot, you will wear out the middle quite quick. Traffic lights kill tyres. I had a 190/50/17 profile, and thought that the tyre profile was really flat, and requiring no effort to get to the edge of it.

Of course, all this info would be useless if its another model... :wait:

marty
18th July 2006, 07:38
i had an 010 - got 2000kms out of it.

if it was free though, i'd probably get 1000 :)

Hitcher
18th July 2006, 09:32
The Battlax 020 sport-touring tyre is OEM on several bikes. I have found these to be competent but uninspiring and have used the Metzeler Roadtec Z6 in preference on my past two rides (ZRX1200R and ST1300). My new FJR is running 020s but I will try a set of Conti Road Attacks at my next change. The tread pattern on the front 020 "sings" on certain road surfaces and has a tendency to "cup" as the tyre wears.

Fatjim
18th July 2006, 11:28
They also lock up/smoke easily under braking, and have been known to just give in dropping the unfortunaely rider on his arse.

jimbo600
18th July 2006, 19:51
BT014s are pooh. No feedback and will let go when you least expect it. OK when warm but if they cool down a tad watch out.

cowpoos
18th July 2006, 20:03
BT014s are pooh. No feedback and will let go when you least expect it. OK when warm but if they cool down a tad watch out.
got a rear racetech here for ya!

jimbo600
18th July 2006, 20:11
got a rear racetech here for ya!

Need a set man. You got a front too?

cowpoos
18th July 2006, 21:23
Need a set man. You got a front too?
soon.......soon

limbimtimwim
18th July 2006, 22:10
BT014s are pooh. No feedback and will let go when you least expect it. OK when warm but if they cool down a tad watch out.With the exception of the letting go bit. Yeah, just can't come to grips, pardon the pun, with the 014s. :cry: :cry: more money. Maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet and bin them to try something else. Maybe someone on tardme will buy them. Perhaps 014s work better in warmer climes.

They seem fine on higher speed corners, but on lower speed ones they mess with my head.

For gods sakes, I didn't even have the confidence to even THINK ABOUT TRYING keep up with Fatjim on Sunday. Poor guy nearly fell asleap at the top of the hill. For shame. For shame.

The_Dover
18th July 2006, 22:14
Probably the profile of them.

I find them a bit flat. Never really had a problem with the compound and they are great in the wet, but they do square off pretty quickly.

Al
18th July 2006, 22:40
Thanx for all the replies, the model 020.
I commute 200km per day in fairly hot weather, good road surfaces and unfortunately, very few twisties! Speed varies from 120 to about 150 km/h.

Will ride till the michelin is totally munted and then try the battlax... Will post feedback. Tyre is still brand new with all the "nipples", never been on a bike before.. Possibly "fell off the back of a truck", nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more... (and new mate is a bit of a dodgy character - rides a "bastardised" Norton)

Take care

Al

Fatjim
18th July 2006, 23:08
I would strongly reccomend you get a good tyre at least for the front. It's just not worth having a shite one, especially since they're the cheaper of the 2. It terms of wear for commuting, you might save yourself $100 a year if you do 20,000k, but in my experience commuting doesn't wear fronts out fast, regardless of how soft they are. for example I got within 90% of the wear out of a diablo corsa front than I did out of the OEM macadam when just commuting and pussying about in the rapa.

cowpoos
19th July 2006, 08:25
they do square off pretty quickly.

well u are priddy fat

The_Dover
19th July 2006, 09:36
well u are priddy fat

Hadn't you better go clean the cow shed farm boy? Wouldn't want the missus to think she was moving into a sty ;)

terbang
19th July 2006, 10:17
Hello there in Darwin, spent a year there, loved it. Rode the road to Wangai falls many times. My Busa was fitted with BT56's from new and they are sticky vthough uninspiring. The rear had an aweful habit of just giving up the ghost when the going got tough (hot). One minute going fine then next its sliding all over the place even on modrate corners. Scared the shit out of those behind me as well. But hey, a free tyre is allways a good one.