PDA

View Full Version : [CBR 250R MC19] Trouble with rear brake caliper...

Nouvelle Chicane
18th July 2006, 18:42
Hi, i'm just going to go straight to the point here... i'm a newbie with bikes and tried to replace my rear brake pads of my MC19 and had a problem with pushing the piston back in so the new pads can be fitted... my friend and i tried pushing it back with this tool (:blah:) that spreads wide open when u turn the lever... forget what it's called haha... but yeah that didnt work argh!

should i take it to a mechanic? is there something that i didnt do right??

Sketchy_Racer
18th July 2006, 18:54
the piston most likely be covered in raod crap etc. it may be jamming up the piston not letting it slide back in to the seals.

did you take the resivor cap off before trying to do this? it may be possible that there is no more room for the fluid in the resivor

Wasp
18th July 2006, 20:18
hehe dont feel bad, i clamped my brake pads together too.

just careful what you use to push them apart, its not so bad with the pistons but with me i risked damaging the pads and then them causing damage to the front disc.

FROSTY
18th July 2006, 22:02
In short I dont suggest you stuff around with ya brakes if ya dont know how--too darn important.
If you live out west Ill sort em for ya --and you watch what Im doing.
Bring the new pads and a bottle of brake fluid

MattRSK
18th July 2006, 22:02
Hey nice bike. Hope you get it sorted.

Nouvelle Chicane
20th July 2006, 13:15
In short I dont suggest you stuff around with ya brakes if ya dont know how--too darn important.
If you live out west Ill sort em for ya --and you watch what Im doing.
Bring the new pads and a bottle of brake fluid
cheers for the offer but i live in east auckland :D

anyways, i gave botany honda a call today and ask if they could fix it for me... it's going to cost me $60+GST :gob: for an hour of labour! does anyone know a cheaper place i can go to?? coz i need to renew my registration after i get the "Pass" from WOF... and i'm kinda broke :D

imdying
20th July 2006, 18:08
That seems like a pretty fair price, considering they'll probably have to use some disposables as well. That'll be an estimate too, I'd be surprised if something isn't rooted enough to inflate the price of the job a bit.

Turtle
20th July 2006, 21:14
Sounds like just a build up in behind the seal which swells the seal out against the piston partially seizing it.Its not a big or tricky job.....using an air gun or with a grease gun squirt grease into the calliper to force the piston out
then remove the seal and scrape out all the crystalization built up in the seal groove etc then reassemble using rubber grease or brake fluid.The system will then need to be bled to remove air in the calliper/brake line.Hope this helps...If you lived closer I would happily do it for you....good luk

FROSTY
20th July 2006, 22:29
Turtle--DO WOT --Grease --as in a oil based product near brake components--Please NO
otherwise I agree --MY suggestion is Pay the $60.00 and get the job done propperly --thats only an hours labour

vtec
20th July 2006, 22:56
Yep, sounds like a seized caliper. $60 is cheap for getting it sorted. If you try to do a caliper rebuild yourself the first time it will take you many hours. However you also get the added benefit that you get to learn how to do it, and will be much faster and cheaper if you ever have to do the front calipers.

Also, just a hint. When replacing pads, always give the pistons a good spray with brake cleaner and scrub them before attempting to push them back in. But be very careful not to damage the piston surface, as this may compromise the ability of the brakes to work.

imdying
21st July 2006, 19:14
Grease would be an absolute last resort for a home mechanic who has already brought a replacement seal kit. Absolute last resort. You would also need to ensure you could scrupulously clean every last bit out of the internals of the caliper as the petroleum based grease will swell the glycol based rubber quick smart. It's not cool kids, don't do it. We have a machine that essentially uses hydraulic power to increase the brake fluid pressure to a pretty high level. Hasn't failed yet :D