PDA

View Full Version : Scooter Safety Wear

madmal64
18th July 2006, 20:45
Ok guys & Gals, I know I dont usually ride a scoot and I do commute on my V Twin. What I do see alot on my daily travels is heaps more scooters these days which is really cool. BUT...
I amazed how many riders of these nifty little machines are riding around in not much more than a helmet for protection. Maybe on a cool Wellington day its a ski type jacket and some wooly gloves but definetly not too many that I see zipping around the city in what I would call proper riding gear.
So... the question is what you normally wear for crash protection while riding your scooter?

The poll is mutli choice BTW

stunz
18th July 2006, 21:00
Likewise, as much as I appreciate the scooter riders, (inconsiderate parkers and dangerous drivers alike) I'm not one. I laugh everytime I see Joe Blow exit the office and jump right on the ol vespa with just a half face on. :nono: Cyclists wear more protective gear than these guys!

MidnightMike
18th July 2006, 21:14
When i had my scooter i had the helmet, gloves, armoured jacket, then jeans. :scooter:

madmal64
18th July 2006, 21:39
Likewise, as much as I appreciate the scooter riders, (inconsiderate parkers and dangerous drivers alike) I'm not one. I laugh everytime I see Joe Blow exit the office and jump right on the ol vespa with just a half face on. :nono: Cyclists wear more protective gear than these guys!
Yeah, Im interested to find out just what the guys & gals that ride scooters and are on here use. It a bit of research Im doing for project Ive got going on.

DougB
18th July 2006, 23:09
Pot calling the kettle black!!!
Why just what scooterists use -- bikers are just as bad.
I posted the message below when this topic came up in Feb. I have not changed my mind - there are as many if not more bike riders not wearing safety gear than scooterists. Even today in mid winter I was scooting to an appointment and saw a biker in shorts and shirt no gloves. He cant have been going far or he would have frozen solid. I was well done up as was every scooter rider I saw mainly because it was cold out there.

28th February 2006, 20:01
DougB

Bike: 1974 Aermacchi 350

Wee rant about motorcyclists

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I scooted about Hamilton on several errands
and observed six motorcyclists. Only one was in full gear.
The rest were in short sleeves, two in shorts and sandals.
One scooter rider I saw was also dressed thus but the another, on a 125cc machine, was wearing full battle dress.

After reading this rant I am thinking about a fullface.
I have been riding bikes for fifty years and, when wearing
helmets became law, only open face were available so I have stuck with them.

I saw a helmet like my first, called a Corker, on
display in a vintage collection. No I dont feel old!!!

I have just bought my eleventh machine, a Suzuki
125cc Epicuro and am enjoying it alot. Its big wheels
alow it to counter steer and handle like a bike. Sadly my motor bike is sitting in the shed, I cant, on a pension, afford to register two bikes. I have always had a bike since 1953 - everything from a Corgi second world war paratroop scooter to a Moto Guzzi. A heart condition stopped me heaving the Guzzi around so I now have a 350 Aermacchi - rare in NZ.

I am enjoying this group alot.

Mr. Peanut
18th July 2006, 23:28
I wore full kit on my scooter, for comfort if nothing else :yes:

BeakerRAT
18th July 2006, 23:37
I wear a textile jacket with armour, proper road gloves, draggin jeans and a full face helmet on the scoot (don't wear proper boots though) and have leathers (full kit) for the bike.

bobsmith
18th July 2006, 23:51
My gf rides a scooter and she always wears full cordura with armour and gloves. (oh and the helmet), looked quite funny the other day actually, I was teaching her to ride the bike and so she was riding around on it and I was following her on the scooter... In my full 2 piece zip together leathers, boots, gloves and helmet.... I must have looked like a dork.

Most of the time I was just not used to having my feet forward with my legs together so I had my knees bent outwards as if there was a fuel tank there, now that I think of it, that must have been the funniest part of it all.

The Wop
19th July 2006, 09:00
This type of thread has been around for a while, for interest, this is what I posted earlier this year....

28 February 2006, 15:15

Two Problems

There are two problems here. Firstly, the general public who buy scooters do not always get good advice (or are not always given all the information). The stereotypical cool, good looking Italian guy or gal (with little protective gear on) is what most scooterists think of and aspire towards. So when buying their gears, they buy what is legal and cool looking, not necessarily what is safe.

I commute daily on my *gasp* Vespa and upgraded from an open-face to a full-face in little time, now also wear a proper jacket and gloves. This was after attending a great safety course run by BRONZ, that taught me LOADS!

The second problem is that, surprise surprise, the majority of the scooter clan to not even know about Kiwi Biker, let alone the useful and informative forums that dot the place (like this one). Basically, you are preeching to the wrong folk.....

madmal64
19th July 2006, 10:34
Pot calling the kettle black!!!
Why just what scooterists use -- bikers are just as bad.
I posted the message below when this topic came up in Feb. I have not changed my mind - there are as many if not more bike riders not wearing safety gear than scooterists. Even today in mid winter I was scooting to an appointment and saw a biker in shorts and shirt no gloves.
Wee rant about motorcyclists
I am enjoying this group alot.

I hope this isnt coming across as a rant against the scooter clan. Its not supposed to be.
Im just trying to see what percentage of the scooter riders here wear what I perceive as the "right gear".
I do see bikers doing similar things and cringe. In fact on Sunday night I saw a couple of guys riding there sprots bikes in Courtney Place in Shorts!:nono:
What seems to be coming across from the poll here it that scooter dudes & dudettes that are KB members are up with the play and playing safe.

The Wop
19th July 2006, 10:51
The question is how we can get the safety message out to the riders that are not KB members and don't seem to care. I do pull up scooter riders when I see them "under-dressed" but given the weather lately, there has not been much of that! Summer is when the "soft" scooterists dust off their steeds and hit the road (some literally)....

Swoop
19th July 2006, 11:13
The question is how we can get the safety message out to the riders that are not KB members and don't seem to care....
Don't worry about it. They will find out for themselves as they watch the tarmac grind off their skin.
If they choose to continue riding this way after rehab, that then that's their call.:wait:

WickedOne
19th July 2006, 11:15
Roads don't care if you are falling off a motorcycle or scooter.... it is always just as hard!!!!!

DMNTD
19th July 2006, 11:31
I've just scored a Street Magic thing,black of course, and wear full leathers,full faced tinted out Shoei,boots,carbon-fibre knuckled gloves etc when riding it :Punk: :wait:
LOL...get lots of laughs 'n shit...mostly from myself but I don't give a flying fark!
Fun is fun...only when you've still got ya skin! :doobey:

madmal64
19th July 2006, 16:58
The question is how we can get the safety message out to the riders that are not KB members and don't seem to care. I do pull up scooter riders when I see them "under-dressed" but given the weather lately, there has not been much of that! Summer is when the "soft" scooterists dust off their steeds and hit the road (some literally)....
This is sort of what I am running this poll for. Im looking to get a press release done to say how important it is to wear the right gear and the benefits there of.
I just want some real..ish polling stats that I can use for data.
I know that this is singing to the choir here but its a place to start.
Really appreciate the comments & feedback so far.

Street Gerbil
19th July 2006, 19:59
Skin grafts suck big time. Full cordura for me.

msm
19th July 2006, 22:45
While I have proper bike gloves, armoured jacket and full face helmet, I don't have armoured pants or actual motorcycle boots. I do pull a pair of leathers over my jeans and wear thick padded leather boots that go about halfway up my calf, but neither were designed specifically for bike usage. I got the boots custom made because my feet and legs get really cold, and discovered they're great for scooting too. :)

To be honest, most bikers I see on the roads to and from work wear less safety gear than me. I look like an Oompa-loompa when I'm all dressed up. I have an armoured snowsuit for the REALLY bad days too.

texmo
20th July 2006, 00:14
I cant find the option for jandels and a half face or when im out on an open road ride its full leathers, full face, back protector, chest protector, motorcycle boots and motorcycle gloves.

madmal64
20th July 2006, 07:58
I cant find the option for jandels.
Damn! I knew I forgot something!:doobey:

The Wop
20th July 2006, 08:31
This is sort of what I am running this poll for. Im looking to get a press release done to say how important it is to wear the right gear and the benefits there of.
I just want some real..ish polling stats that I can use for data.
I know that this is singing to the choir here but its a place to start.
Really appreciate the comments & feedback so far.
The problem is that you are not getting an accurate poll, by polling the folk that are most likely to wear safety gear. Due to this bias (for lack of a better word), you are not likely to get the result that you want to as most of the folk that don't wear gear are not going to vote.

I would almost suggest that you go onto a busy intersection and do a "manual" visual survey but in winter, I doubt that you will get meaningful results either.

circuitR
24th July 2006, 18:05
I ride a Street Magic every day to work. Rain or shine, so I have full armoured jacket, pants, boots,gloves and a full face helmet.
Although the other night some wanker on a ZXR was laughing at me across the intersection. I guess I must look funny or sumthin'
I can't understand these guys on bikes wearing only a helmet and gloves, no matter what size the bike, curbs and tarmac hurt.
Good on you guys for suiting up. It's worth it.
Blair

Street Gerbil
25th July 2006, 20:50
no matter what size the bike, curbs and tarmac hurt.
Blair
Amen to that, brother!

willy_01
25th July 2006, 22:15
wise words i hit the deck on a scooter (a yamaha cynus (sp) 180cc - good times!) well i actually got hit by a car then 'hit the deck'. I was wearing one of those old STAR open face helmets and my school uniform (t-shirt and shorts). Man have I learnt my lesson now I wear jeans and a jersy, well track pants some times. In all seriousness i would recomend a chrash like mine (i didnt break any bones just got a road rashed bum) as it slows me down now i ride something with more power.

Warren
5th August 2006, 19:55
Full face helmet, codura jacket with armour and gloves but normally wth jeans. When i get to my destination the helmet goes in the topbox and jacket and gloves in the underseat storage. When it is raining or snowing I wear my codura pants and boots, but normally I don't wear them as I would have to wear them around with me.

I have noticed a lot of people with bikes 10x bigger than mine wearing only tee shirts and shorts but if you come off at 60 or 100 km/h it feels the samr no matter what bike you were on.

Mr. Peanut
5th August 2006, 19:59
Has your SJ fallen apart yet? :blah:

Warren
5th August 2006, 20:28
It has had more than enough problems and sounds like it is shaking itself to pieces again, but luckily I have a spare road legal bike to use when it has problems.

texmo
6th August 2006, 10:43
I have noticed a lot of people with bikes 10x bigger than mine wearing only tee shirts and shorts but if you come off at 60 or 100 km/h it feels the samr no matter what bike you were on.
Nah falling off a 40kg scooter at 40 wouldnt be the same as falling off a 200kg harley with it landing on you im sure.