PDA

View Full Version : Rust hole in my fuel tank.

texmo
19th July 2006, 17:12
I have a rust hole in my fuel tank and its leaking petrol its on the bottom of the tank and the infected area is about as big as a 50cent peice. What do I do, I have looked into the 3 stage thing where it cleans then seals the tank is this just a quick fix or should I replace the tank?

Thanks to every one in advance including motu.

Ixion
19th July 2006, 18:04
With acknowledgement to mr WINJA- Araldite. Works a treat. If the damage be of large extent, back it up with some fibreglass mesh, kits are available at hardware stores.

imdying
19th July 2006, 18:05
Definitely post up some pics if you can mate, hard to advise without seeing how bad it is.

Motu
19th July 2006, 19:59
Scratch up the area,see if you can poke holes in it with a screw driver.If it's just pin hiles ise POR 15 tank liner,if the are real holes you'll have to remove the tank for repair.

Drew
19th July 2006, 20:25
Scrape off the excess crud, and use "NEAD IT". I've fixed holes my fingers went through with this shit bro. It sets so hard, it can be drilled and have a thread tapped into it. Sold my XJ with a massive hole after fixing it, two years later, and no leaks.
Costs ten bucks for a tube. and you could build a whole new tank bottom with that. Great for exhaust leaks too!!!

And it's simple!!! You'd really have to try to fuck it up.

zarinat
19th July 2006, 22:42
With all respect to the answers you have received, which all will work and will get you home ,in my humble opinion buy another tank if its rust damage- if you want to keep the bike. Any repair short of a proper cut & weld will fail at some time- anytime anywhere, usually out in the boondocks at best, or at worst when your having a fag whilst sitting in the shade of your bike...whoof !
The real problem is the water/rust damage in the seams where the tanks joined- it just wont go away & fuel is really good at finding a way out of anything. The epoxy repairs do work, but not forever. Theres a product called "Kreem" we use to remedy rusty tanks on jap imports, but when we see an actual "hole" in the seam line - we replace it-damage is always worse than you can see.- GP in tauranga may have one.

Motig
20th July 2006, 10:27
I'm with you on that zarinat. Fix it properly, dont bodge it. I'd do the other suggestions as temporary repairs but certainly not permanent, theres always the risk of a bonfire otherwise.

Macktheknife
20th July 2006, 13:17
Personally I would just replace the tank, if there is enough rust to have made a hole, then there is more that you haven't seen yet too. Get another tank and give it the treatment, no more probs.

imdying
20th July 2006, 18:09
Get another tank and give it the treatment, no more probs.A cunning plan, and worth noting. Anyone else seen a ZXR do this? Is it par for the course?

froggyfrenchman
20th July 2006, 18:16
I just did up my honda... See (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=32706)
And there were 23 (i kid you not) holes in that tank! $150 for a panelbeater to plug them and prep the tank for paint, included taking out 4 huge dents too!

Kornholio
20th July 2006, 18:51
Na the whole bike is rooted now...throw it away and buy a Suzuki :D

Sketchy_Racer
20th July 2006, 19:38
yep Im with Macktheknife.

Im having a similar problem at the moment. except its on a radiator.

Every time i plug one hole with knead it, another one springs up....Grrrr

qldzxr250a
21st July 2006, 18:36
had the same prob on my ZXR Pin holes everywhere, tried to get the tank welded but welds didn't holed (read: Rooted). So After heaps of searching came up with a new tank. Cost my Left nut($300) but i now have a perfect tank i know wont fail on me.

for me $300 isnt a bad price for piece of mind.

texmo
23rd July 2006, 03:11
Its ok, I managed to low side my tank and make the hole bigger but I fixeed with with the help of drew, then i highsided and now its time for a new tank.

NSR-Dan
23rd July 2006, 03:20
that sucks dude. you should dress your tank up ni leather like yourself. that might save it next time lol:blip:

texmo
23rd July 2006, 03:25
Yeah pitty it ruptured at the seems on the other side from where I repaired it. Nead it is great shit fizzer

Kornholio
23rd July 2006, 18:21
LOL, how did you predict that, two days before the event!!

Your spooky dude!

do de do do do de do do...............:doobey:

kevie
23rd July 2006, 23:51
Yeh POR is good..... used it on my old bike, knew the guy that bought it and he had no problems and onsold it still not leaking about 6 years after I had origionally done the tank

you can get POR in Palmerston North look at http://www.por15.co.nz/

cougar
24th July 2006, 07:59
The best is tank replacement. Yet BNT (brake and trans) sell a fuel tank repair kit that works. Have used it and has lasted 2 years so far (can't find a tank yet)
with no leaks and thats off road and the boy's have dropped it a few times.
Once you have a new tank get it plastic coated by a radiator shop and it shouldn't rust out.

vifferman
24th July 2006, 08:21
The best option is to replace the tank.

If you opt to fix the tank (new piece welded in, or whatever), you'll still need to use the 3-part tank sealer stuff. I had the same problem with my VF500 - tiny pinholes that I soldered up, followed the instructions for the Kreem tank repair stuff implicitly, and it still kept leaking from the worst hole.

Motu
24th July 2006, 08:25
Kreem is too thick - I had the same problem with my XLV750 tank,I repaired as many as I could,but there were still a dozen or so leaks.Kreem didn't seal them all,So finished of with a coat of POR 15 and no more problems.POR 15 is thinner and gets into the holes better.Any goopy patch applied to the outside will ultimatly fail - you need to fix the hole and then use the tank liner.

texmo
24th July 2006, 10:47
So whats the name of this 3 pot stuff and where do I get it from?

R6_kid
24th July 2006, 20:41
POR 60 i think... do a search thru KB for it.

R6_kid
24th July 2006, 20:42
make that POR 15, lots of info here:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=19786&highlight=POR