PDA

View Full Version : Look Ma, My Starter Motor Ate The Battery

sugilite
19th July 2006, 21:04
I've had a mystery intermittent fault with the 750. As Richard suspected it came down to a faulty starter motor. Once in a while when starting it would go clunk, then it started to set the relay of clicking, then nothing at all. I figured hey it's just a dead sector in the starter motor and did not think much of it other than to make a mental note to get another starter motor when financial enough...I took it to a practice day at manfield. It started to hesitate up the higher end of the rev range and then it started missing. All of a sudden it did not want to rev over 8K (again!) I went to start it again and noticed this smoke coming from under the seat and thought uh oh!
When I got it home I found the positive terminal on the battery had been reduced to what looked like molten solder!!! (see pics attached)
and yes, if course the battery was new, flash Yuasa one too :angry:
Turns out the now totally free loose positive wire only made connection while I was sitting on the seat, and when I'd lean right down behind the fairing I'd lift the weight of my ass a bit and the positive lead would loose connection with the battery!!!

Moral of the story is, if some Dickytoo tells you to get rid of the suspect starter motor, do it! :pinch:
Playing Russian roulette with a dead sector is not the way to go:nono:
I've fitted another one now with another new battery and took it for a test ride on the personal track and what do you know it revs clean to red line in every gear!!:niceone:
It's all race prepped now and ready to load in the van for the test day at manfield on Friday. :yes:

T.W.R
20th July 2006, 00:49
:doh: won't divulge what similar event mine put me through recently :slap:
hope friday goes well & things have dried out a bit by then :niceone:

texmo
20th July 2006, 00:59
See you there dude. Its gonna be a good round this one.