PDA

View Full Version : What is the point

carver
19th July 2006, 22:34
hey guys, i know this is your space, and i dont mean to be rude but....whats the point of a cruiser?(not power/sports cruisers) i have owned a suzuki savage before, didnt like the ; footpeg clearance, low top speed, uncomfortable riding posistion, the terrible weight distribution, the handling, the braking, and the poor turning circle.:bye:
i did like the relaxed engine, and torque though, a bit gutless however.
what do you guys see in them? i do love a V twin, for their flexiblility, but i prefer them in something like my NXR125?:rockon:
im just wondering you see....is it mainly image?:sick:

Virago
20th July 2006, 00:33
Different strokes.........

Some people like riding something that sounds and looks like a demented sewing machine, hunched over the fuel tank, with a crick in the neck from trying to see where they're going. Cramp in the back of the knees from the tucked-in foot pegs. Stressed to the max trying to get road rash on their knee sliders, and reduce their chicken-strips. Racing from A to B as fast as they can, because only a fast ride can be a good ride.

Some like that sort of biking. I don't.

But hey, no problem. If that's what some want to ride, good on them. Vive la difference....

You won't find the cruiser riders in the sprot bike forums, pouring pathetic streams of scorn on another man's ride.

That's the difference.........

selectedgrub
20th July 2006, 06:57

You won't find the cruiser riders in the sprot bike forums, pouring pathetic streams of scorn on another man's ride.

Fucking oath!!
Fuck off clown...

Motu
20th July 2006, 07:39
When I walk into a bike shop I generaly ignore the bikes for sale,especialy the new ones,mainly because I can't afford one.But I don't even bother looking at the sports bikes,they all look the same,you can't see the engine...and they are all fast,so what.I don't even look at the dirt bikes,YZ450f...um,do I need to see another one....oh,there's a red one exactly the same,it must be a Honda.

But I look at cruisers - they look nice,you can see all the bits....like that big Yamaha with the push rod motor carved with a chisel from a block of alloy.The bikes are individual,and I can really see myself on one - I'm not into high speed....if I had the money I might just get a cruiser y'know....

98tls
20th July 2006, 07:49
As has been stated different strokes etc....The other day myself and a few mates were sitting around talking bikes and some of the trips we have done....it occured to me that in all the trips over the coast i had yet to see the viaduct and all that they had done around there as its always been head down arse up hanging on for dear life stuff...i really enjoy my TL but one day when i can afford it i will buy a cruiser as well..chuck the mrs on the back and really see this great country of ours.

Deano
20th July 2006, 08:00
Fucking oath!!
Fuck off clown...

Thanks for your intellectual feedback. :doobey:

acewheelie
20th July 2006, 08:00
Until recently I had a Savage and a GSXR 400, if the Mrs wanted to go out we took the Savage, if I felt the need for some scratching I'd take the R. The Mrs loved the Savage, as she could really suck the view in, see much more than from a cage. I liked cruising around on the Savage too, just not comforatble on the highway.

Rashika
20th July 2006, 08:18
Think you have had your question answered fairly well, so head back off to ya own area now huh?
Each to their, everyone has their own reasons for riding what they do... cruisers have their own function and can be damn nice bikes to ride, some are shitters of course as well, but you get all types.

Just dont come back bitching with ya back/knee/financial problems later on after ya crash cos you on a sportsbike determined to prove just how fast you can go... using the collective "You" there ;)
Its also nice to know that if some absolutely CRAZY idea happened and I considered selling up the Buell I could probably get only a little less than what I paid for it, not so with ANY run of the mill sports bike that i know of.

Guess there are advantages to having something not so ordinary after all...

Lou Girardin
20th July 2006, 08:56
Ride from Kaitaia to Bluff on a sprotbike, then do it on a cruiser. Then you'll know.

magicfairy
20th July 2006, 09:08
.whats the point of a cruiser?(not power/sports cruisers) i have owned a suzuki savage before, didnt like the ; footpeg clearance, low top speed, uncomfortable riding posistion

Because when you are a short little woman like me (5ft) you want something that you can reach the ground on, not keep dropping it when your feet don't connect when over driveways, outside petrol stations, and is light enough to be able to manouvre, but still has enough power to go on the motorway / cruising.

I love my Savage, does the job for me, and gives me confidence.

Now if I could actually find a sportsbike I can reach the ground on without being on tippy toes the answer might be different.

magicfairy
20th July 2006, 09:14
i have owned a suzuki savage before, didnt like the ; footpeg clearance, low top speed, uncomfortable riding posistion, the terrible weight distribution, the handling, the braking, and the poor turning circle
Cos when you are a little woman like me (5ft) you want something you can reach the ground on, not keep dropping it when caught over high ground in driveways, outside petrol stations, and can manouvre around cos it is light.
I love my Savage (s40) it gives me confidence , fits well and is powerful enough for motorway, weekends away.

Now if I were taller and could actually find a sportsbike I can reach the ground on, not balance precariously on tippy toes then maybe the answer would be different.

Squeak the Rat
20th July 2006, 09:22
i dont mean to be rude but....the handling, the braking, and the poor turning circle.:bye:
iis it mainly image?:sick:
Funny way of not being rude :rofl:

Different folk have different reasons for riding bikes. Some like sports riding, some like cruising, some like touring, some like commuting or a combination of the above, hence all the different bikes. Put these in priority order to work out what sort of bike is best for you.

(i like all the above which is why i love my z750s:))

Sorry Motu - forgot adventure riding....:innocent:

steved
20th July 2006, 09:24
I'm a sportsbike fan, but I can see the appeal of a Suzuki M109R. Holy crap that thing is tits!

Paul in NZ
20th July 2006, 09:27
In my opinion, and after a great deal of thought they are mainly used for cruising.... Not a huge fan of modern bikes but I could be tempted onto one. The Valkyrie Vicki and I rode was more fun than a tub of P at a S&M festival...

ManDownUnder
20th July 2006, 09:28
Each to their own.

Cruisers hold absolutely no appeal to me personally, nor to Harleys... but then my taste is bikes is a highly personal thing.

Just as other love cruisers and Harleys, I love the RF I ride. All a matter of opinion really.

kiwifruit
20th July 2006, 09:59
yep, different strokes and all that.....
I like ALL bikes and repect all bike riders no matter what they ride.
It matters not if its a feet forward cruiser or a superbike.
I used to dislike cruisers etc but since ive aged a little (just a little) ive grown to admire all machines with 2 wheels.
It really comes down to what sort of riding the owner is into

Hellraiser
20th July 2006, 10:16
I can understand why people like cruisers I've ridden them and i intend on purchasing a new Kawasaki VN2000 in the next few weeks (give the wife a chance to get over the XT660X I bought yesterday first) But i sorry i can not understand why people want Harley's to me they are just over priced pieces of shit. On average you can buy 2 japers for the price of 1 harley. Now if they were beter engineered or more reliable ... etc ..... etc then i could understand it but they are NOT.

Troll
20th July 2006, 11:40
Now if they were beter engineered or more reliable ... etc ..... etc then i could understand it but they are NOT.

I take it you are talking from personal experience or is it merely heresay you are quoting

I have had a harley for over 10 years and its done around 240,000 kms reliability has never been a problem

As regards the initial purchase price big twins are not cheap but they hold their value far better than the japanese equivalent

Sportsters however are pretty competitive price wise as compared to some jap bikes

Inital purchase price of the Japanese bike is a lot less but then you get a lot less when you sell it on a few years later

Motu
20th July 2006, 12:19
And sell it they will.I wonder what the differences on ownership terms are for HD's and sportsbikes? Most people I see with Harley's keep them for many years before changing,sportsbike riders seem to get a new bike several times a year....

Troll
20th July 2006, 12:27
sportsbike riders seem to get a new bike several times a year....

possibly because every 6 months a new improved model is released rendering the current one obsolete

its a shame when they buy matching leathers and have to buy a new set of leathers to match the new bike

Rashika
20th July 2006, 12:31
On average you can buy 2 japers for the price of 1 harley
absolutely true.... but then you would also have to sell at least 2 2nd hand jappas to get the same price as ya would for 1 2nd hand HOG as well, it goes both ways.

hairy stu
20th July 2006, 12:33
Its all a matter of choice, I'm one of three brothers, one rides a 996, the other a CCM supermoto and i ride a 750 intruder, sure, it doesent go round corners very well, its not blisteringly fast, fuel tank is too small and the brakes are about as good as those on a Raleigh chopper. But its my ride, i like it, and it still blows boy racers away at the lights. Each to their own,and i wave at anyone (apart from H-D riders)

Str8 Jacket
20th July 2006, 12:35
Each to their own,and i wave at anyone (apart from H-D riders)

Pardon the ignorance, but why not HD riders?

outlawtorn
20th July 2006, 14:06
Pardon the ignorance, but why not HD riders?
because I'm sure hairy stu feels intimidated by them.

This whole HD riders are wankers thing is really begining to get on my tits, HD riders are normal bike riders too people!!!! Just because they are amongst the most expensive kind of bike doesn't mean the people who ride them are any different to you and me, their shit stinks too you know!!!

hairy stu
20th July 2006, 14:29
No, i'm quite sure i'm not intimidated by them, but if i acknowledge you whilst out riding, a nod or a wave, most people do the same back, be they on another cruiser or atop a sportsbike. I have never had any retort of any kind from a H-D rider. If the next Hog pilot i give the nod to, nods back, then my opinion may change, but until then, it wont.
And i dont recall saying that H-D riders are wankers.

bert_is_evil
20th July 2006, 14:48
I like both :blip:
When I grow up I want one of each to suit my mood.

98tls
20th July 2006, 15:43
And sell it they will.I wonder what the differences on ownership terms are for HD's and sportsbikes? Most people I see with Harley's keep them for many years before changing,sportsbike riders seem to get a new bike several times a year.... Had the TL for 5 years.....bought it at 5000km its now done 40000km and going better than ever,been the best bike ive ever had and will be keeping it as long as my old bones allow me to ride the thing....as stated earlier a cruiser will be sharing the garage with it soon,much more relaxed and pillon friendly.i agree on the sportbike riders seem to change bikes alot...a couple of friends of mine do but the stupid thing is they dont really seem to go any faster on there latest purchases...the old Tl still seems to still keep up.

Motu
20th July 2006, 15:57
One of my bro in laws would get the latest mags soon as they came out,then he'd check out the road tests.He'd get into a panic if he found a bike faster than his latest one because then he'd have to buy a new bike.If he still rode he'd of had a Hayabusa for a few years now.

vs04
20th July 2006, 17:41
My wife and i bought our cruisers to do as the name implies''cruise''.if you want to ride at warp factor five with your head down arse up then go for it but as far as we,re concerned thats not what rideing,s about.So they dont go as quick,so you can,t lean them over as far, who the fuck cares,imo handeling and performance aside sportbikes are just butt ugly,cruisers imo are how a bike is suppose to look,harleys included,and no it,s not an image thing it,s the enjoyment of owning a bike thats realiable and has good looks and suits the needs of the owner.As virago put it,different strokes.

vs04
20th July 2006, 17:54
Carver, i see in your profile you,re only 21,that would explain the question.When your closer to 50 than 40 you might see things in a different light,btw correct me if i,m wrong but the savage you speak of,an LS400, more of a commuter than something you,d want use for open rode rideing i would think but a good little bike none the less.Cheers.

scumdog
20th July 2006, 18:04
Why I like cruisers (if a T-Sport fits the catagory)?

(1)Being an old fart they have a more 'traditional' appearance.

(2)They discourage high speed travel - most are hard on your arms/neck if you sit at 130kph+ for any length of time.

(3)I find the riding position very relaxing.

(4) Because of their style and the riding position people don't EXPECT you to be fast.

(5) The 'bling' factor, lotsa shine and its all out in the open, not covered by fairings.

Finally, it's just plain old personal choice.

Good luck to you whatever you ride.

carver
20th July 2006, 19:39
Thanks for your intellectual feedback. :doobey:
love that mate, imbelive this dude red rep'd me for trying to ask you guys what you like about your bikes(cruisers)...wtf?:gob:

Bonez
21st July 2006, 05:48
Each to there own. I had a "cruiser/custom" thing once. Hated it, it did not suit my riding style. But that's just me. In saying that I have been considering giving cruisers another shot. Hell, even HDs have entered the equation. Something I'd never have bothered considering 10 years ago. bravo1's Suzuki Boulivard manage it around the East Cape just fine and dandy- http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=30428

Don't like a bike rapped totally in a comdom(full fairing were that peice of engineering art called an engine sits is hidden from veiw) either.

Just to go off topic a bit. W650s and new twin Triumphs, well the bonny and truxton anyway, ain't cruisers but "real" bikes ;).

I definately do like riding older underated bikes though. Cost of entry is cheap and you can generally flick them off at around the same price you purchased them for. And if you hold on to them long enough they actully start going up in value.:blip:

So really it's all swings and roundabouts. Ride what you like, like what you ride.

Now what the f@## did I do with those keys for that peice of shit CX 500....................................... :innocent:

98tls
21st July 2006, 07:35
love that mate, imbelive this dude red rep'd me for trying to ask you guys what you like about your bikes(cruisers)...wtf?:gob: Dont worry about it...you got much bigger problems than red rep...you got a :gob: Hyosung J/Kidding mate..as i say dont worry about it its only a computer.people get a bit defensive if they think your taking the piss..i think you probably could have worded you original post a bit more Delicately but you got your questions answered anyway eh....:yes:

Edbear
21st July 2006, 12:45
The Valkyrie Vicki and I rode was more fun than a tub of P at a S&M festival...

How do you know...?:gob:

Edbear
21st July 2006, 12:50
I like both :blip:
When I grow up I want one of each to suit my mood.

Yep! Me too...:yes:

crashe
21st July 2006, 13:54
Cruiser's Rule

:first: :first: :first: :first: :first: :first:

It was the movie "Easy Rider" and that was it for me.

I ride my cruiser cos I love cruisers.
I sit on my bike and can see so much when I am out there cruising.

There is just something about cruisers.
Its like sitting on a couch, sitting back with your feet up and having that laid back feeling and cruising.

On a sportbike you are crunched over and have to pull your head up to see ahead of you...

Sportbikes are for speed....... cruisers are for cruising.

But at the end of the day, it is up to each individual biker, as to what they like to ride.

Eurodave
21st July 2006, 14:43
Big cruisers, Hoggly Dogglys included, now make a lot of sense to me,with the Highway Patrol handing out tickets left,right & centre for any trivial 'offence'

Plus the older I get, the more I feel the need to sit back, relax & smell the roses, feeling the gentle heartbeat of a lusty Guzzi V twin between my legs

For me ,its no longer getting to where Im going in a frenetic rush, as soon as possable or sooner, I prefer to savor[sp] the experience, enjoy the scenery & smells of the great outdoors & freedom

Wired1
22nd July 2006, 16:26
A good bike design will ride nice and look good - every time I go into the local bike shop for some obscure part for one of my XV's I have to go past the line up of brand new bikes and they just all look the same to me, no character and no thought for design. There hasn't been an attractive sprts bike since the Katana... and I would rather ride from Kaitai toBluff on a cruiser - I'd probably take a week longer than the young turks on the sports bikes but I would get to the end in one piece, without a speeding ticket, and probably with the wife still talking to me.

Deano
22nd July 2006, 18:53
love that mate, imbelive this dude red rep'd me for trying to ask you guys what you like about your bikes(cruisers)...wtf?:gob:

I have been red repped by selectedgrub as well (grey actually......:nya: poor dude needs some more karma before throwing his weight around)

Comment was "Not a Harley rider"

This is Kiwi Biker not just a Harley forum you plonker.

I won't bother red repping him cause......well it wouldn't matter.

crusa
24th July 2006, 22:49
hey guys, i know this is your space, and i dont mean to be rude but....whats the point of a cruiser?(not power/sports cruisers) i have owned a suzuki savage before, didnt like the ; footpeg clearance, low top speed, uncomfortable riding posistion, the terrible weight distribution, the handling, the braking, and the poor turning circle.:bye:
what do you guys see in them? i do love a V twin, for their flexiblility, but i prefer them in something like my comet?:rockon:

carver i have done the sports bike thing(kwaka H2 and a few others) 30 years later i like the cruiser suits my size and state of mind.I just like riding and feeling free on my bike, others get the kick they want out of theirs:rockon:

slowpoke
27th July 2006, 04:05
Yep, I know it's an older thread but hey it's nightshift and I'm desperate for something to take my mind off this fuggin' shithole...

I can't say I'm in to the whole "cruiser" thing but one of my mates traded in his gixxer on a Harley and when I stopped coughing up beer, he explained it to me like this: it's the only bike he'd found that he could have fun on at close to the speed limit. I nearly understood where he was coming from.....

I can see the attraction with all the roundy roundy, up and down bits and bobs on display too. Although ya gotta laugh at all the technology that goes into making something look old...oops, sorry "retro" is new word...or is that "old" word...er, you know what I mean...

All sportsbikes look the same? Sure their function dictates a certain similarity of form but to say a Ducati 916 looks like a Triumph Daytona, looks like a Honda SP1/2, looks like an MV Agusta, looks like an Aprilia Mille is beyond belief.

If you don't like 'em that's cool, but don't knock 'em when the average cruiser range comes in a choice of two colours with a mandatory side order of chrome. And can ANYONE really tell at a glance the difference between a Volusia, Intruder, V-Star, Vulcan, Harley as it glides by? At least all those V twins sound different don't they? Er, maybe not....

It would be a boring day on the Rimutaka's without the "chrome plated armchairs" showering the cagers with sparks as they glide majestically from corner to corner so enjoy whatever you ride and don't let anybody spoil it for you. This applies to everyone ....except for those dirty smelly pox ridden Honda's, torch 'em if you see 'em!

Arguing over such an objective thing as personal taste/style (or lack) is as useless as my writing here, but at least I've wasted a few minutes of work time and hopefully you've done the same by reading it.

Motu
27th July 2006, 07:45
All sportsbikes look the same? but to say a Ducati 916 looks like a Triumph Daytona, looks like a Honda SP1/2, looks like an MV Agusta, looks like an Aprilia Mille is beyond belief.

Believe it....

I wouldn't have a clue what they all are - it's not like dirt bikes where they are all colour coded.Sorry - they all look the same to me....

frogfeaturesFZR
27th July 2006, 09:05
Thats ok Motu, it'd be a bloody boring world if everyone thought the same. Whatever spins your wheels and all that:yes: Better a bike than a car eh?

The Pastor
27th July 2006, 10:18
Yeah I'd agree that all sport bikes are simerlar.

I love all kinds of bikes, I havnt had the chance to ride on a real big crusier yet (one day hehe) but I rode an 89 xj600 which has a cruiser style riding postion, and it was so comfortable. xj's are unstable as hell, but its a nice comfy ride :P Dirt bikes are just plain nuts. All bikes are great, used for differnt things but equall in cool.

Macktheknife
27th July 2006, 16:13
I love all kinds of bikes, I havnt had the chance to ride on a real big crusier yet (one day hehe) but I rode an 89 xj600 which has a cruiser style riding postion, and it was so comfortable. xj's are unstable as hell, but its a nice comfy ride :P Dirt bikes are just plain nuts. All bikes are great, used for differnt things but equall in cool.
RM, uummm I dont know what was wrong with that bike you rode mate but XJ's are not really a cruiser, and they were renowned for being really quite stable bikes. I used to have an XJ900, and my mate had the XJ650 turbo, while they are an upright tourer style I dont think you could really call it a cruiser.
Still, each to their own eh?
I have a history of riding cruisers, tourers and sport bikes, I love em all for different reasons, cruisers get me where I want to go while enjoying the scenery and they make for good talking points.
Tourers are great for long distance and will do respectable in the twisties while carrying a bit of gear and handle most things well.
Sport bikes bring out the inner idiot in me and entice me to go a lot faster than I know I should, and make me feel like taking risks.
As I have aged a bit I now realise that I dont heal as fast as I used to and I have better things to do with my time than lie in a hospital bed waiting to be able to scratch what itches.
I still have a dirtbike cause they are just fun!

vs04
27th July 2006, 18:11
Yep, I know it's an older thread but hey it's nightshift and I'm desperate for something to take my mind off this fuggin' shithole...

I can't say I'm in to the whole "cruiser" thing but one of my mates traded in his gixxer on a Harley and when I stopped coughing up beer, he explained it to me like this: it's the only bike he'd found that he could have fun on at close to the speed limit. I nearly understood where he was coming from.....

I can see the attraction with all the roundy roundy, up and down bits and bobs on display too. Although ya gotta laugh at all the technology that goes into making something look old...oops, sorry "retro" is new word...or is that "old" word...er, you know what I mean...

All sportsbikes look the same? Sure their function dictates a certain similarity of form but to say a Ducati 916 looks like a Triumph Daytona, looks like a Honda SP1/2, looks like an MV Agusta, looks like an Aprilia Mille is beyond belief.

If you don't like 'em that's cool, but don't knock 'em when the average cruiser range comes in a choice of two colours with a mandatory side order of chrome. And can ANYONE really tell at a glance the difference between a Volusia, Intruder, V-Star, Vulcan, Harley as it glides by? At least all those V twins sound different don't they? Er, maybe not....

It would be a boring day on the Rimutaka's without the "chrome plated armchairs" showering the cagers with sparks as they glide majestically from corner to corner so enjoy whatever you ride and don't let anybody spoil it for you. This applies to everyone ....except for those dirty smelly pox ridden Honda's, torch 'em if you see 'em!

Arguing over such an objective thing as personal taste/style (or lack) is as useless as my writing here, but at least I've wasted a few minutes of work time and hopefully you've done the same by reading it.
If you,re not into cruisers then the chances of knowing at a glance what a particular make/model of cruiser is as it, ''glides'' by would be rather slim.Myself,and i,m sure a few other cruiser riders would make the same comment about sportbikes with their limited colour selection and the ''mandatory side order of plastic''but who cares, ride what you like,like what you ride.Btw, not a bad effort on the word play but it was still a piss take none the less.

Wired1
27th July 2006, 21:55
Can we vote this thread off the island?

Waylander
27th July 2006, 23:56
Last time I checked Carver I was faster than you lol. May have been cause you were on a motard though. Don't go knocking cruisers till you ride one.

You wouldn't be able to follow me from Hamilton to Wellington on your bike cause you would have to stop and stretch before you had to fuel up for gas again where as I can do it only getting off the bike to fuel up and pay.

28th July 2006, 15:24
Fucking oath!!
Fuck off clown...

lol , tell him how you really feel mate.

rok-the-boat
29th July 2006, 09:23
Frankly, I don't care what you're on - if it's a bike, or even a scooter, that's OK by me. I have had sportsters and cruisers and trial bikes. I like them all. And if you can't understand, say a Harley, then get out and try one.

buellbabe
30th August 2006, 14:51

So true...and even tho I now ride a Buell ( definately NO cruiser ) I am still loyal to HDs:love:

Fucking oath!!
Fuck off clown...

LOL! yeah man!

And sell it they will.I wonder what the differences on ownership terms are for HD's and sportsbikes? Most people I see with Harley's keep them for many years before changing,sportsbike riders seem to get a new bike several times a year....

Maybe its becos they just aren't gettin' no satisfaction?
Cruiser owners to tend to hold onto their bikes longer, cos they are fun to ride, comfortable, great to tour on... etc etc
Even tho I sold my Harley I still need a fix everynow and then... and I'll take a demo Harley for a blat... sigh! I always come back wishing I was loaded and could afford to have 2 bikes!
:yes:

I know some people reckon that the cruiser riding position is unomfortable but really it is a very individual thing, some people just 'fit' a cruiser better than a sprots bike. I used to think my Harley was the ultimate in comfort but as soon as I test rode the Buell it was if it had been purpose built for me. The ultimate in comfort, but other people probably wouldn't think so...
Each to their own!

Divot
30th August 2006, 15:31
But i sorry i can not understand why people want Harley's to me they are just over priced pieces of shit. On average you can buy 2 japers for the price of 1 harley.

But when it come to sell the Harley I can still buy a new shit jappa and have some money left over to beg forgiveness for buying a jappa!

Divot
30th August 2006, 15:34
and i wave at anyone (apart from H-D riders)

SNOB :whocares:

Divot
30th August 2006, 15:46
Believe it....

I wouldn't have a clue what they all are - it's not like dirt bikes where they are all colour coded.Sorry - they all look the same to me....

The only time that they are all the same is when they are in the showroom next to each other. Once the owner gets the bike they bling them up and make them their own

X-Ryder
31st August 2006, 07:17
and the poor turning circle.:bye:
Well I love the cruiser, and to tell the truth, I have never yet managed to pull off a full lock 120km turn, so I guess that little problem wont be bothering me too much.

Damn straight it is, hell those dear old babes in thier hot mobility scooters never even gave me a sideways glance untill I got me a cruiser. :done: :whocares: :rockon:

carver
31st August 2006, 14:40
Last time I checked Carver I was faster than you lol. May have been cause you were on a motard though. Don't go knocking cruisers till you ride one.

You wouldn't be able to follow me from Hamilton to Wellington on your bike cause you would have to stop and stretch before you had to fuel up for gas again where as I can do it only getting off the bike to fuel up and pay.

dude, wouldn't i?
i rode my hyosung from paraparaumu to hailton, only stopping to eat, gas up, and take photo's....i could have ridden to the top of the north island, the GT was that comfy! the yammy wasn't though...i would have a sore ass.:shutup:
the thing is, im no sportsbike man myself, but i like naked bikes, and dirt bikes....you can cruise on say...a ER6N kwaka.:yes:

McJim
31st August 2006, 14:51
I wanted a Cruiser at first - was going to start on a VT250 Magna - and yes - it was all image. The bubble burst for me when I actually sat on one coz the main reason for getting a bike for me was the commute closely followed by weekend riding.

So I've gone for a bit of compromise - no fairing (well just a little bit) so you can see the little V-Twin but an upright position for visibility. best of both worlds.

this is not to say I'll never get a cruiser nor that I'll never get a full on sports bike.

Pros and cons for both - fitness for purpose - some very good reasons for both being voiced in other posts - shame about those who descended to mindless abuse...when it's not even witty.

carver
31st August 2006, 17:15
I wanted a Cruiser at first - was going to start on a VT250 Magna - and yes - it was all image. The bubble burst for me when I actually sat on one coz the main reason for getting a bike for me was the commute closely followed by weekend riding.

So I've gone for a bit of compromise - no fairing (well just a little bit) so you can see the little V-Twin but an upright position for visibility. best of both worlds.

this is not to say I'll never get a cruiser nor that I'll never get a full on sports bike.

Pros and cons for both - fitness for purpose - some very good reasons for both being voiced in other posts - shame about those who descended to mindless abuse...when it's not even witty.

Ah hah..
Someone who has something to say that makes sense and is what i started this post for
bling awarded.:Punk: :first:

Bob
2nd September 2006, 02:35
Personally, I hate this whole thing of "putting yourself in a box". In fact... I wrote a feature on the subject! (http://www.bobpickett.co.uk/bkit/outofthebox.htm)

My wife has owned two cruisers over the last few years- and I've enjoyed riding both bikes. Just like I enjoyed riding all the bikes I've owned over the years. And pretty much any other bike I've been lucky enough to throw a leg over.

Riding a cruiser is a very different experience - take a more laid-back view, relax into it and take the time to re-programme your brain. That said, I must confess to getting a real kick out of hammering an XV250 Virago to top speed, zooming past an unsuspecting car driver (you're so low down they can just about see your head as you fly past), then flicking it into the lane in front of them!

But as I say in my ramblings - try different bikes with an open mind - it'll be a surprise what you get out of it.

Harleyman30
4th September 2006, 23:10
Get your arse on a Harley bro!! They dont handle, brake, or go that fast without expensive mods, but, the sound, the style and the fact you know you have ridden a bike if you know what I mean, is fuckin unbelieveable. I have had 3 Sports bikes in the past, but ever since I rode my first Harley, I will never go back, Im on my 6th Harley now. But as you say, each to their own, what ever blows your hair back!!

vs04
5th September 2006, 07:33
Get your arse on a Harley bro!! They dont handle, brake, or go that fast without expensive mods, but, the sound, the style and the fact you know you have ridden a bike if you know what I mean, is fuckin unbelieveable. I have had 3 Sports bikes in the past, but ever since I rode my first Harley, I will never go back, Im on my 6th Harley now. But as you say, each to their own, what ever blows your hair back!!

I know what your saying,but for me and the wife it,s jap cruisers,1400 vtwins,nothing like it,well almost nothing.Problem is there,s not a lot of hair left to be blowen back:laugh:

buellbabe
5th September 2006, 08:22
YO! Harleyman! I know what ya mean about 'knowing you've ridden a bike'... but have to disagree about the non-handling... I rode Harleys for 14 years before switching to the Buell and in my humble opinion Harleys handle as good as the rider... I've seen a guy outride a bunch of Jappas on a Fatboy! BTW I see you have an FXR, good choice mate, they are probably the best handling big-block Harley there is!

Monkeyboy
10th September 2006, 20:47
[Just dont come back bitching with ya back/knee/financial problems later on after ya crash cos you on a sportsbike determined to prove just how fast you can go... using the collective "You" there ;)

It's a bit ironic that soemone who is riding a Buell talks that crap. Unless I'm mistaken, your bike old son was considered the best cornering bike by "Bike" magazine (UK). That bike is an example to other manufacturers re: mass centralisation. I think the Firebolt is an awesome bike. Are you trying to say a) you don't go fast on your Buell and b) don't get the thing leaned over??? Yeah right!!! It's like saying you own an R1 and don't exceed the speed limit.

buellbabe
11th September 2006, 06:53
Easy there Monkey Boy! when you've been on KB for awhile you'll notice that there is quite a high rate of crashes amongst the Sprots bike owners...(the cause of many debates on here!) I think SHE may have been referring to that?
As for myself, I push the envelope and MY Buell cuts it with GSXs, Fireblades, Aprillias...
But thats besides the point... which was?

Each to their own...

Rashika
11th September 2006, 07:58
[Just dont come back bitching with ya back/knee/financial problems later on after ya crash cos you on a sportsbike determined to prove just how fast you can go... using the collective "You" there ;)

It's a bit ironic that soemone who is riding a Buell talks that crap. Unless I'm mistaken, your bike old son was considered the best cornering bike by "Bike" magazine (UK). That bike is an example to other manufacturers re: mass centralisation. I think the Firebolt is an awesome bike. Are you trying to say a) you don't go fast on your Buell and b) don't get the thing leaned over??? Yeah right!!! It's like saying you own an R1 and don't exceed the speed limit.

umm not sure i understand... are you saying cos I ride a Buell NOW, that I dont know the benefits/disadvantages of riding a cruiser?
See now that is the problem with jumping into a conversation half cocked... I mean most people would take a quick looksee to see if they have even a remote idea about the thread is about and the people they are talking to.

By the way I'm female, love the Buell and yes it *is* and awesome bike, had a vtwin cruiser for 10 years...and probably can give a reasonable knowledgable answer to the question posed, even if it was a little bit of a pisstake.
Yes the Buell can certainly make me lose my licence, or crash (so far so good on both counts), but it aint generally seen as a sportsbike, a bloody brilliant piece of fun sporty motorcycle engineering perhaps, but still not a hard out sportsbike. It takes a certain finesse and control to be able to ride it well, whereas most sportsbikes are fkn easy to just jump on and ride...until you get into a problem then they can be mighty nasty and bite back HARD. Experience on them is the key as well but lot of people dont get that experience till they fuck it up. The nice thing about the Buell it that it doesn't tend to make the rider feel like some bloody hunchback after getting off, and can pull like nothing I have ever riden.
Oh yeah and I have had a few comparisons lately.
The list goes like this...
GSX1000K4
Aprillia Tuono
R6
MG V11 le Mans
Ducati Monster
and a few others I forget...

But that is all besides the point...
Buell babe has it in a nutshell, that was the original point I was making, waaaaaaayyyy back when... Now chill and go back to ya sportsbike sunshine :rockon:

dwnundabkr
11th September 2006, 08:14
I have this problem with people who bag other bike riders for what they ride who gives a shit as long as you are riding that is what counts not what you are riding.

keep the rubber to the ground :whocares:

Rashika
11th September 2006, 08:50
I have this problem with people who bag other bike riders for what they ride who gives a shit as long as you are riding that is what counts not what you are riding.

keep the rubber to the ground :whocares:

yup, agree. We are all so different, it would be bloody boring if we all rode the same things.
I like cruisers, but dont think I could ride one again full-time.
I even like some sportsbikes, the R6 was a great wee beastie to ride!
But the Buell is the beast for me...at this point in time :yes:

buellbabe
11th September 2006, 09:00
Ditto what she said!
The Buell is the beast for me but everynow and then I will still take a demo HD out for the day... just for a 'fix'.
:love:

Big Dave
11th September 2006, 10:20
Get your arse on a Harley bro!! They dont handle, brake, or go that fast without expensive mods,

Depends on how ya ride them!
It's ground clearance on the tankers that's the problem - not how they handle.
And I tell ya that Street rod can boogie - straight out of the box.

outlawtorn
11th September 2006, 14:31
what do you guys see in them? i do love a V twin, for their flexiblility, but i prefer them in something like my comet?:rockon:
man what a silly question to ask dude, its all about personal taste and what riding style suits different people. I for example, am 6 foot 4", and I feel like I've got my arse in the air when I'm on a superbike, so I just prefer a cruiser, it handles my length better.

In terms of handling, cruisers are just that, for cruising, if you want to go like a bat out of hell then get a powerful, light, nimble sports bike, but it you want to take it easy and chill then take a cruiser.

Question like this should get a wooden spoon award, just stirring up shit man.

Eventually with age comes wisdom and the realisation that all bikes are nice in their own unique way, cruiser, sports, tourer etc etc. They are all good.

carver
12th September 2006, 08:32
man what a silly question to ask dude, its all about personal taste and what riding style suits different people. I for example, am 6 foot 4", and I feel like I've got my arse in the air when I'm on a superbike, so I just prefer a cruiser, it handles my length better.

In terms of handling, cruisers are just that, for cruising, if you want to go like a bat out of hell then get a powerful, light, nimble sports bike, but it you want to take it easy and chill then take a cruiser.

Question like this should get a wooden spoon award, just stirring up shit man.

Eventually with age comes wisdom and the realisation that all bikes are nice in their own unique way, cruiser, sports, tourer etc etc. They are all good.

Ah..point taken, but where did i mention superbikes or sports bikes?
And yes, all bikes are good, i have 3 bikes, all very different, and i ride all sorts.
the point you and a few others missed was that im not comparing cruisers to pocket rockets, what i had in mind was something along the lines of the SV 650, ER6N, Hornet 900, MT01 etc...i mean, no plastic fairings, upright-ish riding style...
can you take it easy on one of those?
i think yes, but it has the ability to go hard.
viva la difference.

Rashika
12th September 2006, 09:56
Ah..point taken, but where did i mention superbikes or sports bikes?
And yes, all bikes are good, i have 3 bikes, all very different, and i ride all sorts.
the point you and a few others missed was that im not comparing cruisers to pocket rockets, what i had in mind was something along the lines of the SV 650, ER6N, Hornet 900, MT01 etc...i mean, no plastic fairings, upright-ish riding style...
can you take it easy on one of those?
i think yes, but it has the ability to go hard.
viva la difference.

Sounds like the Buell too ;)
But yeah we all like different stuff, and its funny how that can change even for the same person over their lifetime. Was a cruiser girl, now a more... fk knows how you would describe it really... a Buell girl i guess :yes:

buellbabe
12th September 2006, 10:12
I'm Buell all the way (supremely comfortable and "fits" me) but I wouldn't say no to an R1!
That said, the Buell is a keeper and I will always have a soft spot for Harleys...

Motu
12th September 2006, 10:23
If you can grow and change it's all good I think.I can't hang out with my old crowd anymore....I'm not going on the Triumph Poker Run.I turn up somewhere on my 2 stroke dirt bike wearing my dirt gear,and I see guys I knew 30 years ago and more,looking just like they did then,wearing black leather and riding bikes to give the correct image.Over the years I have ridden different bikes,experianced a lot of different styles....I've grown in my tastes and skills.I kinda feel sorry for them,stuck in the same rut all these years.Who knows,I might buy a cruiser next - but it won't be a peer group dictating what I ride,it'll be my own choice for my own reasons.

07fatboy
12th September 2006, 13:43
well said there motu..bloke.. i like them all too i'm lucky that i have all of the above...criuser,sprot bike,dirt bikes and push bikes...oh a couple of those noisey upset the neighbour hood thingys,which i havent up set the neighbours yet cos we go to some one elses neighbour hood...hehehe,but depending on what mood im in ,i normally ride the sprot bike cos mates have em and we play up to it as well,all fun on the sproty,mello warm days require a good cruise and will clock over a thousand k's in 1 day easily the best ive done so far was 1400ks non stop only stoping for fuel and had no dramas with body fatigue on the hog,now this might have been a different story if i was on the sproty i also woulda done it in about 4 hours qwika...cheers

NighthawkNZ
23rd September 2006, 15:57
I love all two wheelers.. I have riden cruisers and sporst and actually own one of each depending in my mood... Some days I just like to to chill and cruise... other days I like to well just get to where I am going...????

Each to there own... As long as you enjoy it, be safe on it, and respect others... what else could one want....

as for the HD snobbyness... I have never noticed that, If I acknowledge them they usually acknowledge back (granted some occassions you dont expect one back due to the fact the the rider is busy manouvering the bike etc..)

A motorcycle is a motorcycle, whether it, a crusier, sports, Jap, Euro, Yankee... Kiwi... blah blah blah

slimjim
14th October 2006, 17:26
Shazzygirl here!
For god sake, is there no ethics in our young ones anymore!
What do you get out of starting a thread like that!
Obviously...the real men come out and tell you politely where to get off, but hell this woman (whose riden since she was 14! and if you wish me to count it up it's ... 30 years ago!) has to tell you to pull your pants up, pick up your lip and get a real bike!
And I KNOW I am only riding a 250 at present, but if you know what a Marauder looks like, it's a little cruiser too!

carver
16th October 2006, 15:58
Shazzygirl here!
For god sake, is there no ethics in our young ones anymore!
What do you get out of starting a thread like that!
Obviously...the real men come out and tell you politely where to get off, but hell this woman (whose riden since she was 14! and if you wish me to count it up it's ... 30 years ago!) has to tell you to pull your pants up, pick up your lip and get a real bike!
And I KNOW I am only riding a 250 at present, but if you know what a Marauder looks like, it's a little cruiser too!

real bike huh...
whats that?
your answer to the origional question that kicked this thread off amazes me...
i ONLY ride a 125..but hey, i have ridden plenty of 650+ bikes, i just think that the cruiser market has taken a hit from Buell/MT01/Monster/Z1000 style bikes..just wondering what makes the current owner choose them, and what they see in them..

McJim
16th October 2006, 16:05
In hindsight the title of this thread should really have been "Cruiser riders - what is it about cruisers that you like and why?"

Then gone on to say "I like sportsbikes and other short wheelbase bikes...yada yada yada" and gone on to mention your thoughts on these.

You would probably have got some really useful feedback and maybe even some offers of a pillion ride or 2 to experience the cruisey style of riding.

A lot of these preferences have to do with cameraderie as well as the machines themselves.

carver
16th October 2006, 16:11
In hindsight the title of this thread should really have been "Cruiser riders - what is it about cruisers that you like and why?"

Then gone on to say "I like sportsbikes and other short wheelbase bikes...yada yada yada" and gone on to mention your thoughts on these.

You would probably have got some really useful feedback and maybe even some offers of a pillion ride or 2 to experience the cruisey style of riding.

A lot of these preferences have to do with cameraderie as well as the machines themselves.

i have been on plenty of cruisers, jeez, i have owned one and that was enough.
As for sports bikes im not a big fan, and like them as much as cruisers..plastic aint me, neither is chrome.
My g/f loved being on me Savage, although i didnt like it much..
i know they are good for pillioning, until you have to grab the front brake when mrs SUV does something silly...
this thread is a oldie, and if you look i do agree, it could have been better named.

Fatjim
16th October 2006, 16:49
Stuff the "why cruisers" question.

What about why the tassles, sissy bars, leather vests and worn out women on the back stuff?

Waylander
16th October 2006, 17:13

What about why the tassles, sissy bars, leather vests and worn out women on the back stuff?
Vests, cause they look cool and make a good place to put all the patches and shit from tours and rallys and the like.

Sissy bars, so that a passenger can be comfortable and have something to lean back against instead of always leaning forward. THey also work like luggage racks but look so much better!! Why have a nice, angular, plastic faired sportsbike then put this massive, ugly, block shaped, bent tubing on the back? I'de rather something that flows with the lines of the bike over that mess anyday.

Worn out women, maybe she is the riders wife and they have been together for ages.

Tassles, I don't know I don't understand those either. Ask Scumdog.

selectedgrub
16th October 2006, 20:11
Carver your just a little boy!!!

For that I will forgive you

But why don't you go back to the other threads and stir shit up there with your 125 Honkasuki shit ride that no one gives a fuck about...

The thread header is "HOGS AND OTHER CRUISERS"

scumdog
16th October 2006, 22:54

Wotcha talkin' about Willis??

Ya trying to wind me up?

Well it won't work 'cos I KNOW I'm onto a winning style such as you described!!:rockon:

Oh, and CB ain't 'worn out' yet:nono:

PS It takes a real man to wear tassles, (best Mr T voice here) "any fool can wear a toothpaste-tube suit or grave-robbers clothes"

carver
17th October 2006, 13:36
Carver your just a little boy!!!

For that I will forgive you

But why don't you go back to the other threads and stir shit up there with your 125 Honkasuki shit ride that no one gives a fuck about...

The thread header is "HOGS AND OTHER CRUISERS"

well, despite what you say, i will be the bigger man and not red rep you, unlike what you just did to me.

"For that I will forgive you"

No one gives a shit about my ride aye...

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=37314

that dont matter to me, i aint riding to attract friends, attention (only when on one wheel).
Did you buy your hog so that people do give a fuck about you?
Can you answer the first question on this page without getting personal or decending into abuse?

I satarted this thread because most of me comrades view cruisers as a motorcycle with not much use in NZ...for the reasons already listed.
despite that they are one of the best selling bikes in NZ....
Back to the "other" threads now...:nono:

bert_is_evil
17th October 2006, 14:30
IF EVERYONE STOPS POSTING IN HERE THIS THREAD WILL GO AWAY!!
Oh, hang on.... I just posted....

buellbabe
18th October 2006, 05:31
ha ha ha jeez how many times does it have to be said?
Each to their own...
As stated so many times in so many threads on the topic... I reckon that if you can actually RIDE (translation:NOT RELYING on a perfectly engineered bike to do everything for you...) then you can do anything on a 'cruiser' that you can on a Sports bike ... with exception to stopping distance LOL!
It just takes balls...

Troll
18th October 2006, 06:56
then you can do anything on a 'cruiser' that you can on a Sports bike ... with exception to stopping distance LOL!
It just takes balls...

not quite correct

had a shovel with pm brakes all around and it would outbreak my mates ducati

given harleys and generally longer and lower given decent aftermarket brakes they can actually brake quite well as they are less prone to doing stoppies

buellbabe
18th October 2006, 07:02
LOL! I was talking in general terms...
but I reckon my Buell will outbrake a cruiser!

Troll
18th October 2006, 08:28
yes and it would definitely out accelerate one

buellbabe
18th October 2006, 08:31
LOL! ya think?
he he he

carver
18th October 2006, 10:30
ha ha ha jeez how many times does it have to be said?
Each to their own...
As stated so many times in so many threads on the topic... I reckon that if you can actually RIDE (translation:NOT RELYING on a perfectly engineered bike to do everything for you...) then you can do anything on a 'cruiser' that you can on a Sports bike ... with exception to stopping distance LOL!
It just takes balls...

yeah, im up with that.
nothing quite like riding a ill handling bike with bad brakes hard...
stuff it into a corner, front bottoming out...power on hard half way through.
feel the frame flex due to the worn swingarm bushes...good times. :rockon:

buellbabe
18th October 2006, 10:43
hell yeah...
so glad someone else 'gets it'...LOL!

Ixion
18th October 2006, 11:40
yeah, im up with that.

Hey, when did you ride Petal ?

Jimmy B
18th October 2006, 12:53
Well believe it or not I read this post pretty much from start to finish and the one thing that really speaks to me from all of this is that no matter what you ride or why you ride, we all ride and are pretty passionate about it.

What else gives you the same freedom, delivers physical and mental challenges, gets you out of the house and takes you to some wicked places where you will probably meet some pretty cool likeminded people along the way? That’s why I ride and I don’t care what I’m on so long as I’m doing it. It took five years of not riding to really appreciate this

frogfeaturesFZR
18th October 2006, 14:50
Well said JimmyB:yes:

The_Dover
18th October 2006, 14:51
What else gives you the same freedom, delivers physical and mental challenges, gets you out of the house and takes you to some wicked places where you will probably meet some pretty cool likeminded people along the way?

drug addiction?

Jimmy B
18th October 2006, 15:14
Dover Dover Dover give your self an uppercut:gob:

Jimmy B is good, better than Jack, He’ll hit you like a train when you mix him with Dak:rockon:

Waylander
18th October 2006, 16:41
yeah, im up with that.
Ofcourse mate.

Anyone can ride a bike that can go around corners like it's on rails.

Troll
19th October 2006, 06:02

why wait for a corner, my shovel would flex in a straight line under full noise

carver
19th October 2006, 15:58
why wait for a corner, my shovel would flex in a straight line under full noise

haha, thats what im talking about..i have had some ratty bikes!
i got to test a harley one of these days!

NUTBAR
19th October 2006, 16:46
Had a suzuki m50 boulivard k5 for about 11 months, enjoyed riding it (18,000ks) decided to get a sport tourer (FJR1300 k5).
misses feels safer on the fjr than the m50.
the FJR is a lot nicer to ride, you still sit in an uprite position & can go as slow or as fast as you like (depending if revlimiter is with me:gob: )
the v-twin was slower when riding 2up over taking.
still like the look of the cruzzers but i think for me the sport tourer is the way to go, it gives me the best of both worlds.:cool:

Troll
19th October 2006, 18:57
haha, thats what im talking about..i have had some ratty bikes!

wasn't a rat

thats what 80 ft lbs of torque at the back wheel do to an obsolete frame

Waylander
19th October 2006, 20:09
wasn't a rat

thats what 80 ft lbs of torque at the back wheel do to an obsolete frame
Only 80? Try 120 on an '88 frame. There is a reason I have fram supports lol.

Troll
20th October 2006, 18:20
Only 80? Try 120 on an '88 frame. There is a reason I have fram supports lol.

120 ftlbs of torque, what are you running? 124" motor?

88 frame, is that an FXR or a softail?

if its an FXR it should handle it, as for a softail frame it can't handle the 52hp that the factory produces

Waylander
20th October 2006, 18:56
120 ftlbs of torque, what are you running? 124" motor?

88 frame, is that an FXR or a softail?

if its an FXR it should handle it, as for a softail frame it can't handle the 52hp that the factory produces
1200cc V-four engine mate. It ain't a Harley.

Troll
21st October 2006, 09:28
well that explains all

comparing apples with oranges

Phoenix
23rd October 2006, 19:19
I own sports bikes and a cruiser, each bike has its merit, sports are fast and have better handling, but on a cruiser they don't do mega speed so don't need the handling as much. On long distance trips on the sprot I end up with a sore arse, sore neck and back, and lots of strain on the knees from braking etc, and I'm only 26! On my M50, to date have only suffered from sore wrists and I think that's due to the bars being too wide and forward instead of more curved in. Trying to ride a cruiser like it was a sportbike isn't much fun either, I learnt that after going around back roads with a group of Ulysses riders on inline 4's over 1000cc eg CBR XX, Hayabusa, GSF 1200S, ZX10, they were all riding at high speed around corners and I felt uncomfortable riding like that trying to keep up (a little off topic)

selectedgrub
6th May 2007, 10:03
I see you got a nice new avatar to go with the RUB ride...

Edbear
6th May 2007, 11:30
it would outbreak my mates ducati...

:shutup::innocent:

Midnight Special
6th May 2007, 15:38
Iv had small bikes big bikes trailbikes sports bikes and cruisers i like them all and would have one of each to suit the mood if i had heaps of money to burn LOL

The Lone Rider
6th May 2007, 21:20
My answer in simplist terms is easy - If I was on anything other then a cruiser it just wouldnt be saying "ME!!!"

Thats even why I sold my Virago. It was good to have, but it wasn't me. Love the magna.. baby harley at heart oh yeah :D

wolf.47
7th May 2007, 21:55

You won't find the cruiser riders in the sportbike forums, pouring pathetic streams of scorn on another man's ride.

Good on ya Virago, that hit the nail on the head. Don't know what the all this sports bike versus cruiser's is. :whocares: Dont see the point in haven a bike that can go 300km for every day use myself, good for racing but life goes by fast enough ah, find my little cruiser great, still can pass traffic, looks great, turns heads. Find the cruiser community a lot more friendly, sport bike riders tend to be a bit big headed and narrow minded. :whocares:
My 10cents worth anyway.:rockon:

Virago
8th May 2007, 23:37
Good on ya Virago, that hit the nail on the head.....

Cheers Wolf. But I did eventually respond to the constant cruiser bashing by posting up a "mirror" thread, soon after this thread appeared. A bit of a giggle at the time, especially as many didn't get the piss-take....

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=35351

carver
9th May 2007, 00:56
Cheers Wolf. But I did eventually respond to the constant cruiser bashing by posting up a "mirror" thread, soon after this thread appeared. A bit of a giggle at the time, especially as many didn't get the piss-take....

got to rememebr though, a sport biker didn't start this thread:killingme

NighthawkNZ
9th May 2007, 08:04
Just as I thought this thread would turn in to a shit throwing match... it did...

I have riden and owned all types of bikes over the years from sports, cruisers sports/tourers and what ever is in bewteen... and have enjoyed them all. If I could afford it I would probably have about 7 bikes all different.

At the moment I own a sports tourer, its comfortable on the long trips and has the low torque for when its loaded, it keeps up with traffic as well as can be a high speed bullet if it wants to be, and is fun in the twisties at any speed, But...

The reason I have the VTR is when I sat on it I said this is me, and when I came back from the test ride the grin was still on my face a week later. So I bought it and still love it. But one day I may go back to a cruiser (as I said if I can afford both I would)

Every one is different, different heights, riding style, and reasons why they ride, respect that and you will see why they ride what they ride.

wolf.47
9th May 2007, 20:27
got to rememebr though, a sport biker didn't start this thread:killingme

Why Did you start up this tread then. Just come on here after not being on the Kb site for a while only for it to be full of stupid questions and sh+# throwing. :dodge:
Did get a lot of responses though, must just be everyones natural competive nature.:second:
But really ......:zzzz: :zzzz: :whocares:

wolf.47
9th May 2007, 20:38

Good one virago, had a read, think they like those comments on there forum just as much as we did on ours, haha.
But at the end of the day we all ride two wheels and its the dumb arses in there 4 wheel cages that we all have to watch out for.
Gonna go read easy-rider and live to ride mag now, if u wanta really no what the point is then have a look at some of the get together s and events those buggers overseas have on there cruisers, and the chicks :yes:
later
Ride On :Punk:

peasea
10th May 2007, 13:51
Good on ya Virago, that hit the nail on the head. Don't know what the all this sports bike versus cruiser's is. :whocares: Dont see the point in haven a bike that can go 300km for every day use myself, good for racing but life goes by fast enough ah, find my little cruiser great, still can pass traffic, looks great, turns heads. Find the cruiser community a lot more friendly, sport bike riders tend to be a bit big headed and narrow minded. :whocares:
My 10cents worth anyway.:rockon:

I get enough tickets on my FXR as it is. Our shopping trolley decided to have a bad hair day on Tuesday so my other half took our other car to work. I rode to Taupo for an appointment, returning via Morrinsville, and I was still home in time for dinner, no sweat. I didn't get a sore back, no sore wrists and (oddly enough) no tickets. My HD is one very comfy cruiser, it's unstressed, I can ride it all day long and often do. If you want to go fast, go for it, I'll just get out of your way.

My love affair with a cruiser won't stop me watching Superbikes tho.

carver
10th May 2007, 13:53
Good one virago, had a read, think they like those comments on there forum just as much as we did on ours, haha.
But at the end of the day we all ride two wheels and its the dumb arses in there 4 wheel cages that we all have to watch out for.
Gonna go read easy-rider and live to ride mag now, if u wanta really no what the point is then have a look at some of the get together s and events those buggers overseas have on there cruisers, and the chicks :yes:
later
Ride On :Punk:

harleys rule - ride on