PDA

View Full Version : DriRider WTF

rok-the-boat
20th July 2006, 08:26
Why does my DriRider suit leak? It's only a few months old. First time in the rain was OK, then I got wet. Then I sprayed it with waterproofing, and it was OK until last night - I got soaked after ten minutes (elbows, shoulders, crotch). What gives?

-------------------------------
Later Edit - Exchanged my DR for a better model, the DriRider Summit 2 Jacket - far better product. No hassle at all with service etc.

Quasievil
20th July 2006, 08:35
Why does my DriRider suit leak? It's only a few months old. First time in the rain was OK, then I got wet. Then I sprayed it with waterproofing, and it was OK until last night - I got soaked after ten minutes (elbows, shoulders, crotch). What gives?

Whats it made of ?

Lou Girardin
20th July 2006, 08:46
If it's warranted as waterproof - take it back!

Devil
20th July 2006, 08:54
Yeah, what Lou said.

My jacket and pants are DriRider and they're freakin awesome.

James Deuce
20th July 2006, 09:17
It needs a wash. Nik Wax Tech Wash. Follow the instructions on the washing tag of the jacket.

It's a breatheable fabric and if it can't breathe it just wicks the water straight through. My Spyke needs a wash every 6 months to keep it water proof. The water that comes out of the washing machine is always filthy when washing the jacket.

Zukin
20th July 2006, 09:27
What is the name of your Dririder gear (Nordic, EVO etc) as I was told that this was one of the best brands you can get??:wait:

I want something that is waterproof!
And has all the safety features that you would expect a riding jacket to have.

I was looking at the Dririder Rallycross jacket and pants.

Cheers

Beemer
20th July 2006, 09:29
If you bought it new, take it back - especially if you can find the label on it that says "waterproof". I bought a Dri Rider jacket six years ago and have just passed it on to my husband and it's still waterproof. He says it's not as warm as his old one though, but on an R100RS, it's not like he's out in the weather anyway so I told him to stop moaning!

GR81
20th July 2006, 09:37
It needs a wash. Nik Wax Tech Wash. Follow the instructions on the washing tag of the jacket.
thats great stuff!
http://www.nikwax-usa.com/

rok-the-boat
20th July 2006, 15:34
It's supposed to be waterproof. It says ASPEN on the front and back.

James Deuce
20th July 2006, 15:38
Breatheable products don't stay waterproof if they aren't clean.

Wolf
20th July 2006, 15:46
My Dririder Alpines didn't start leaking slightly until the 3.5 to 4 year mark - in torrential rain - and a wash and a spray with waterproofing spray resolved that.

I've been well pleased with them - it's great arriving at my desk drier than the dumb saps that brought their cages to work and thought that if they ran fast enough they could dodge rain all the way from their cars to the building.

My Darbi gloves lost whatever waterproof qualities they had very early on and my Sidi touring boots are only just beginning to leak after over 5 years.

Lou Girardin
20th July 2006, 15:48
Breatheable products don't stay waterproof if they aren't clean.

Unless your name is Pixie. His Spidi jacket was 7 odd years old, done 100,000 km's and never washed.

James Deuce
20th July 2006, 15:50
Does Pixie commute?

I'm always stunned at the amount of crap that gets washed out of the jacket, and how that diesel exhaust smell stops following me around - for a while.

Lou Girardin
20th July 2006, 15:57
Does Pixie commute?

I'm always stunned at the amount of crap that gets washed out of the jacket, and how that diesel exhaust smell stops following me around - for a while.

Long rides - all weathers.

It is amazing how filthy the gear gets. It doesn't look dirty though.
Not like those nasty leather wearing bikie types.

Macktheknife
20th July 2006, 17:30
bwahahahahaha

Like Lou said, take it back, only a couple of months old it should not leak unless you have been rolling in mud puddles for hours.

Oakie
20th July 2006, 18:13

True. I wash my woollen scarf a couple of times each winter and the water just comes out black.

scumdog
20th July 2006, 18:14
Long rides - all weathers.

It is amazing how filthy the gear gets. It doesn't look dirty though.

Hey, some of us 'nast leather wearing bikie types' are a little sensitive ya know!

And my tassles wick the water away so I don't get wet. (Well it worked for the cowboys)

fishb8nz
20th July 2006, 21:32
What's the best way of washing "Gortex, type" material.

Similar question - What's the best way of washing and keeping waterproof Cordura material.

I have a comfy pair of boots that are like blotting paper. So what's a really waterproof brand?

carver
20th July 2006, 21:40
What is the name of your Dririder gear (Nordic, EVO etc) as I was told that this was one of the best brands you can get??:wait:

I want something that is waterproof!
And has all the safety features that you would expect a riding jacket to have.

I was looking at the Dririder Rallycross jacket and pants.

Cheers

hey dude, being a rider of many types of bikes, i chose rallycross pants.
boyd honda did me a great deal on them, and they are great, not too hot, or too cold, comfortable too. i rode my hyobag from paraparaumu to hamilton with them on, they were great!
the velcro on the bottom where they meet your boots tends to come loose, but thats all.
i have taken them on a few dirt missions too, they keep me dry when trying to skim the honda over water 3/4 of a metre deep at 50 km/h .
i also have rallycross gloves, which are light, and flexible, but dont offer much warmth!
hope this helps
carver

Lou Girardin
21st July 2006, 10:56
What's the best way of washing "Gortex, type" material.

Similar question - What's the best way of washing and keeping waterproof Cordura material.

I have a comfy pair of boots that are like blotting paper. So what's a really waterproof brand?

Remove the armour. Hand wash in warm water using a detergent like Nikwax TXdirect. This is designed to rinse out completely and not block the membrane.
Then rinse thoroughly and air dry.

Zukin
21st July 2006, 11:02
I use Swazi Goretex gear for other interests I pursue, and they are fantastic :first:

I wish they made Motorcycle Jackets and Pants:wait:

Anyway to wash the Swazi Goretex Garments, you turn them inside out, throw them in the Washing machine, and then put them in the dryer to re waterproof them (apprantly the Dryer makes the Goretex Waterproof again)
I have done this 3 or 4 times and each time I do it they retain their 100% waterproofness!!

Good stuff

I use Swazi as undergarments on the bike and they work a treat....
Then again I havent dont a lot of riding :shit:

Ruralman
21st July 2006, 15:08
I have a Dri Rider Summit Jacket - it is great gear and definitely waterproof. If your's is new and its letting the rain in - take it back like everyone says.

rok-the-boat
25th July 2006, 20:33
Yeah - I'll take it back this Saturday and complain. Problem is, if they take it for 'testing', I'll be naked until I get it back. Today I wore my old plastic trou on top of my WetRider - not a leak downstairs. Might go for the warehouse alternative posted on another thread and get me a plastic jacket to match. I'm kinda out off by the whole thing, like, how do I know the next set-up I get will be waterproof? And the other day I saw a guy squelching as he walked wearing what looked like some boots I fancied ... no more.

Ozzie
25th July 2006, 20:46
Dude, same deal!

You prob saw my thread on MOBIG Water Proof, whatever.

I have the same prob, have to send my boots back, my pants back, and my Jacket...WTF....

So should I just cruise the Southern from Papakura to Penrose wearing my speedo's and thongs (Jandals for the Kiwi's).

This is really F**ked, what are you sposed to do?

I bought my bike and gear from someone on the shore, leason learnt. Funny how cheap shit still cost a grand, and they can apply such a disincentive for making them comply with the consumer guarantees act.

Yes, Sir, we will fix/replace your gear, but only if you don't ride for a week!

Remind me why I bought your shit in the first place? To be safe and dry while I'm riding my bike,,,,wearing your crap product perhaps????

Go figure!!!!!

rok-the-boat
30th September 2006, 12:00
Well, I finally got around to taking my DriRider jacket and trousers back. They checked it, then exchanged it for a new one. Can't complain. Unless this one leaks too ... will have to wait for the rain.

I did meet another guy with the same suit and he said his was fine.

Forest
30th September 2006, 12:55
It is important to know that there is no such thing as truly waterproof motorcycling gear. Except for completely impermeable materials like nylon or PVC (which aren't that comfortable to ride in).

I don't know about the NZ Standards system, but generally speaking a fabric is classified as waterproof if a hydrostatic head rating is greater than 1,500 mm. Hydrostatic head is basically a fabric's resistance to water pressure (where the pressure is equivalent to the column height of water in mm). A hydrostatic head of 1,500 mm will keep out heavy rain, but it is not enough to keep a rider dry (since riding through in the rain generates much higher hydrostatic pressures).

The next thing to consider is the water repellency. This is basically the fabric's ability to make water "bead" and roll-off. A high DWR eating is desirable because water soaking into the outer fibres will inhibit the breathability of the fabric. Unfortunately the DWR coatings can and do wear or wash-off - this is why you need to periodically respray the fabric with a waterproofing spray. However you need to be careful as some waterproofing sprays will damage certain types of fabrics. Fortunately the waterproof inner coatings or membranes will basically last the lifetime of the garment so they don't need to be treated.

Finally, for an item to be called fully waterproof all the seams must be factory sealed or taped (to stop water coming through the stitch holes). This is why the outside pockets on most riding jackets aren't actually waterproof.

----------------------------

Hopefully this explains why good quality waterproof clothing is so expensive!

FWIW you really need to use your brain when you're buying riding gear. If the item you're looking at is cheap (and isn't made of nylon or PVC) then it isn't going to keep keep you dry when it starts raining heavily.

Street Gerbil
30th September 2006, 13:42
Must be bad luck. Mine kept me dry the whole winter.
Have it repaired/replaced under warranty.

Reno
1st October 2006, 11:43
Stockist of Nikwax tech wash in Auckland?

Big Dave
1st October 2006, 12:17
Stockist of Nikwax tech wash in Auckland?

Seeing Lou ventured the info - I would buy it off AMPS.

rok-the-boat
2nd October 2006, 09:44
Forest - thanks for the techno input. My simple mind, however, says that gear labeled waterproof should be so - even if it is the cheapest, as mine is (still, $300!). Anyway, went out yesterday and today in the torrential rain - no leaks. This kinda disproves your theory that every jacket is bound to leak.

I am now happy with my DriRider.

Wolf
2nd October 2006, 12:44
Forest - thanks for the techno input. My simple mind, however, says that gear labeled waterproof should be so - even if it is the cheapest, as mine is (still, $300!). Anyway, went out yesterday and today in the torrential rain - no leaks. This kinda disproves your theory that every jacket is bound to leak.

Welcome to the club.

My Dririder gear is heading up for 6 years old now and is still doing fine - aside from needing a bit of waterproofing spray over the seams at around 4 years old.

Forest
2nd October 2006, 12:52

I totally agree - all I was trying to say was that the waterproofing ultimately depends on the materials that are used, the design of the item, and the maintenance you do to it.

There's nothing wrong with cheap gear - provided it is still of good quality.

rok-the-boat
10th March 2007, 18:11
My Dririder is wet again, in the rain last week. This is my second Dririder - a replacement - and it lasted all summer - until it rained. Well, it performed well in some rain when I first got it, but last week it leaked through. I took it back today - maybe I'll pay more and ask to change it for a better version. Anyone else get wet last week?

pritch
10th March 2007, 22:27
When my Spidi jacket leaked last year I did a whinge. This year, in what passed for our summer, I washed and dried it according to the instructions and in the last (relatively short but very heavy) deluge it kept the water out. Now if I can just remember to shut the top vents in my helmet when it starts to rain...

I do think though that if it rains hard enough and you ride far enough you will get wet. My "waterproof" Style Martin boots are fine in showers or even light rain but in a continuous downpour they start sucking it in after a couple of hours. Applications of proofing products notwithstanding.

Of course we could buy an FJR, or an ST, or a Goldwing?

ninjac
11th March 2007, 09:52
Of course we could buy an FJR, or an ST, or a Goldwing?
But they don't get the chicks all wet either if you know what I mean :msn-wink:

rok-the-boat
29th March 2007, 22:23
So, who's been out in the rain today? I still don't have my new DriRider. In fact, I am thinking of upgrading to something else (although I do like another one of the $300 DriRider jackets - they seem to fit me better than others). Also have my eye on a spkye one but it's $450, yet all it seems to have to make it waterproof is a flimsy plastic inner lining. Like, you pay 450 for that? Whatever happened to normal jackets? I am currently using my gortex hiking rain jacket and cheapo trousers with Korean army boots, which are 100% water proof in weather like today.

Any waterproof bike jackets to recommend? Or maybe I should just buy one of those motocross back, elbow, shoulder stringy things to wear under my gortex raincoat...

danchop
29th March 2007, 22:56
i have been out in this shit rain all day on my bike because im an urgent motorcycle courier in central auckland,i wore a spidi jacket(7 years old),cheap wet weather overpants,alpinestar boots(about 18 years old),no gloves and a helmet,my arms up to my elbows got wet mainly cause i wore no gloves and my feet were starting to get damp but amazingly my cheap crap pants never leaked a bit,dry crutch and everything and ive been out in this shit weather from 8am to 6pm tonight,and i only had one very slight miss with a car and it was my fault(shouldnt go up one way streets the wrong way i spose)

Disco Dan
30th March 2007, 06:36
It is important to know that there is no such thing as truly waterproof motorcycling gear. Except for completely impermeable materials like nylon or PVC (which aren't that comfortable to ride in).

Finally, for an item to be called fully waterproof all the seams must be factory sealed or taped (to stop water coming through the stitch holes). This is why the outside pockets on most riding jackets aren't actually waterproof.

Yes, I damaged a very expensive cell phone by leaving it in my outer pocket a few weeks back... I was not impressed! Now I have a small snaplock plastic bag I put it in first... as my jacket only has two outer pockets... (should have bought another arlen-ness one, that was fab)

I have to admit, I noticed the tape on my waterproof inner has come away from the seam... *dammit* it's not very old, but prob outside it's warranty.

What would be a good product to re-seal it down with? I was thinking of a small amount of silicone?

Devil
30th March 2007, 07:57
I have the Dririder Summit2 (rrp $499). It's excellent. Doesn't leak at all, even with yesterdays rain. Have the matching pants, they dont leak either. The only trouble is finding waterproof gloves that actually stay waterproof when you're on and off the clutch and brake in a traffic situation. Wiggle your fingers enough and eventually it gets in.

I think my toes were floating too, but then again i've never used sno-seal or anything on my boots. Will get around to that.

jim.cox
30th March 2007, 16:31

Your skin is waterproof

toughen up ya wimp :)

martypants
1st April 2007, 00:25
My Dririder is wet again, in the rain last week. This is my second Dririder - a replacement - and it lasted all summer - until it rained. Well, it performed well in some rain when I first got it, but last week it leaked through. I took it back today - maybe I'll pay more and ask to change it for a better version. Anyone else get wet last week?

Ive got a dririder aspen jacket, got home thursday and jacket sleeves were soaked thru like I had put my arms in a bucket of water, the rest of it was dampish. Put it down to riding into a head wind and driving rain, jacket 5 months old. Think I might give it a wash. Leather pants and boots were dry as a bone inside.

rok-the-boat
1st April 2007, 13:11
Mine was the Aspen and it was just the same. Take it back - you should upgrade to a different one. I'm going to try the Summit 2 as people say it doesn't leak - no matter what. We shall see. Also looks good for warm weather as it has vents.

rok-the-boat
13th April 2007, 16:21
So far so good .My new Summit 2 DriRider - not cheap - is still dry, but it has only really seen a little drizzle. It's a great fit and works with one zip. I had looked at another for a similar price but heck, it had three fiddly front zips...

Devil
17th April 2007, 08:23
So far so good .My new Summit 2 DriRider - not cheap - is still dry, but it has only really seen a little drizzle. It's a great fit and works with one zip. I had looked at another for a similar price but heck, it had three fiddly front zips...
Mine's (Summit 2 jacket) probably a year old. Never been washed (*ahem*), probably done 30,000km in it. Still no leaks.

mazz1972
23rd April 2007, 23:59
Hubby's jacket is a Rjays Evo.....very waterproof (and it's been washed) and a very nice jacket. Nice tailored fit....the armour is covered with hard plastic....and he never moans about being cold even with just a tshirt underneath.

We both have DriRder Nordic boots, which are very comfy and have proven waterproof thus far...however I notice that with both pairs where the sole comes up the sides and is attached to the upper....it is starting to come away and needs regluing. Bit surprised as they have not been subjected to rough treatment at all and not even a year old.

rok-the-boat
16th July 2007, 20:19
Just an update - my DriRider Summit 2 is excellent. Was caught in a real downpour today and no leaks. My trousers though, the cheaper DriRider variety, did leak a little at the left knee, but oddly, only after I stood up after getting off the bike.