PDA

View Full Version : NXR125 any good?

Astolat
20th July 2006, 22:09
Hi everyone,

Any information on the Honda NXR125? Only on my learners. Need something cheap. And would love to rip a bitta mud about!
Is it to small? to slow?

cheers

What?
21st July 2006, 07:18
Well, the engine has been around since the dinosaurs, so it is well proven.
Too slow? How fast do you want to go? As you are a learner, this could be just what you want - just don't plan on long highway rides unless cruising flat out at 70-80km/h is your bag.

Astolat
21st July 2006, 22:36
Cheers for that.

I only want one that can go 100 for like 10-15 on the motorway, once I get my full. As i'll be keeping it for a while before I'd upgrade.

ZeroIndex
21st July 2006, 22:45
Cheers for that.

I only want one that can go 100 for like 10-15 on the motorway, once I get my full. As i'll be keeping it for a while before I'd upgrade.
PM Carver about it.. he's got one and loves it..

Astolat
22nd July 2006, 18:45
Cheers I will do that!

Wolf
23rd July 2006, 11:23
PM Carver about it.. he's got one and loves it..
You beat me to it - was about to suggest that very thing.

When he was talking with me he reckonned it was quite a capable bike.

Ruralman
23rd July 2006, 21:20
Presume you're talking about buying a new one? Personally I reckon you'll outgrow it so quickly, and if you are intending as you say to chuck a bit of mud about, you'll also find it will get limiting off road pretty quickly as well - actually probably I mean boring rather than limiting. I reckon you should consider a good second hand trailie that is being used on the road - XR250, DR 250, XT225. If you pick up a good one privately you'll probably be able to sell it for much the same price in a year or so if you want something bigger or newer.

Wolf
23rd July 2006, 22:12
I reckon you should consider a good second hand trailie that is being used on the road - XR250, DR 250, XT225. If you pick up a good one privately you'll probably be able to sell it for much the same price in a year or so if you want something bigger or newer.
All of which are capable of reaching and sustaining 100km/h with ease. As What said, the NXR is not renowned for its speed.

If you want small and light, the XT225 (aka XT250) is very small and light for an Enduro.

Karitane pete
23rd July 2006, 22:17
I have the XLR 125 which is the forrunner to the NXR, the XLR won't do 100km/h and the gearing (even with a front sproket change) does not suit off road work, my son's CRF100 is better geared and more fun to ride.
Go for something bigger in the 225 - 250 range, better resell as well.

ZeroIndex
23rd July 2006, 23:30
another thought is the DT175 - 2stroke(one of carver's former bikes), and with his skill, he was keeping up with the big bikes on the corners on one of the runs I went on with him

Astolat
26th July 2006, 13:14
Thanks for that everyone. I will think about what you have suggested!

mazz1972
2nd August 2006, 13:08
I have an NXR and I just got my learners :yes: . It's not the fastest but only on my learners so not worried. It's a pretty basic bike (drum brakes and kick start) but it's a Honda so should go forever provided it's maintained well and you don't thrash the crap out of it. Doesn't sound very impressive at all (sounds like a scooter). When hubby has his DRZ400 idling, I can't even hear the NXR running. As for top speed I haven't gotten there yet! The reasons I got the NXR over anything else were (1) I'm a tad on the short side and I can touch the ground with both feet, (2) I'm very new riding so was a bit afraid of the weight of something a bit bigger, (3) it doesn't go that fast so I'm not nervous about over accelerating, and (4) got it for a great price.

You really won't know till you try it though and if you are an off road rider I'd imagine you'd find it pretty boring. A DR250 might be a better option.

When I finally can outride my bike, I'll be looking at an XT250 or KL250 (Sherpa), but unfortunately I'm too short for a DR250 :o

Good luck!!

Wolf
2nd August 2006, 14:21
When I finally can outride my bike, I'll be looking at an XT250 or KL250 (Sherpa), but unfortunately I'm too short for a DR250 :o
I don't know about the KL250, but the XT is good for short people - your NXR has a higher seat than my XT. The XT's not a rocket but it's nimble and it can hold and sustain 112km/h according to blokes who ride them on the US Freeways - more than adequate for the open road here and you can take it places where larger bikes can go, and more, off road.

kiwifruit
2nd August 2006, 14:27
perfect bike for a learner

mazz1972
2nd August 2006, 15:22
I don't know about the KL250, but the XT is good for short people - your NXR has a higher seat than my XT. The XT's not a rocket but it's nimble and it can hold and sustain 112km/h according to blokes who ride them on the US Freeways - more than adequate for the open road here and you can take it places where larger bikes can go, and more, off road.

Thanks Wolf, I'll keep that in mind! It's such a pain being a short ass. The XT sounds good as I'm not planning to rocket anywhere, anytime! The KL is nice and low too. I have to be able to touch the ground properly to feel confident. Also, an electric start would be a bonus! :banana:

cooneyr
2nd August 2006, 15:52

Some DR's (250's and 650's) can be lowered to around 840mm very easily (fartory design allows one bolt change to the rear shock) and even lower (800mm or lower) with a few modifications. Admitially the XT225/250 is factory around 800mm. Been investigating little big bikes for my wife and she is keen on the NXR 125 too but I'd like to get her on an XT or similar.

Talk to SerrowDownUnder (SDU) - she is a little person currently riding a much lowered DR650 and doing it really well off road (sorry to dob you in SDU). Admitially the weight is a lot for a learner but the 250's arent so bad. Check out this thread for some pics and video of little people on big bikes (SDU and Transalper) and big people on little bikes (me) LOL.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=31732

Cheers
R

Wolf
2nd August 2006, 16:39
Thanks Wolf, I'll keep that in mind! It's such a pain being a short ass. The XT sounds good as I'm not planning to rocket anywhere, anytime! The KL is nice and low too. I have to be able to touch the ground properly to feel confident. Also, an electric start would be a bonus! :banana:
The XT is electric start but there's also a kick start kit available for it for those who like the best of both worlds.

Both my wife and I are short so the XT is ideal. That said, I saw a DR650 the other week that had been lowered and it looked perfectly suitable for my inseam measurement.

mazz1972
3rd August 2006, 23:16
Shit people, I can't imagine riding a 650, I'd die of fright after the 125, if something else didn't kill me first!

Sat on a friends DR250 and hers has been lowered and seat cut down. Still a bit high for me (and her) but not really sure if it has been lowered as much as it could be.

I learnt to ride a couple of years ago offroad on a shitty old XR200 and often used to ride hubby's big tall DRZ400 and surprisingly the height never bothered me, that was until I had a wee "accident" with the accelerator and decided to try paragliding off a bank :shit: Totally chickened out after that!

Thanks for your comments I will definately be having a good look around if and when the budget ever allows for an upgrade.

Can't wait for the weekend to go for another ride :scooter:

goodvibes
1st November 2007, 08:39
Astolat. My Dad and I got a 2003 XLR 125. I understand its pretty much the same thing. I reckon you should ride the nxr 125 ( get someone of similar weight to test it ) and see how she goes.

Our 125 is great for a bit of trail riding, commuting, bit of open road, but you couldn't really tour on it.

Stock gearing was 13 to 53 I think. With dad kitted out to ride ( 115 kg ) it was screaming at 90 km on flat and felt like it could do with another gear. As an experiment we bought a 14 tooth front sprocket for $10 from a wrecker and now it cruises at 90 Km. So that was a cheap improvement. Its now a better all round bike for us.

I suspect the nxr 125 stock will be suitable for light trail riding, commuting..... and then be not much good on open road and touring.

if you can afford a xr250, dr250 ( like the experinced riders have been saying ) I've got the impression from talking to people and reviews they can take some serious trail riding, commute cheap, open road cruise at 100 km, tour with small ammount of gear. Seems you'll need to put down about $3500 for a decent second hand one though....

Our xlr 125 does what we want and cost bout $1000 so was a good option.

Hope you can afford an xr250, dr250. Sounds like they would be better for you in the long run.

Cheers

goodvibes
1st November 2007, 08:42
Astolat. I see your post was way back when, my error. Ah well info might be of use to someone else...<_<