PDA

View Full Version : Should I stay or should I go???

Zukin
21st July 2006, 14:54
Howdy all

With all the reality tv shows on at the moment, I thought why not bring one to KB?

So....

I have been offered a new job, in a new industry
So Should I Stay or Should I Go??:wait:

Pros of the New Job Offer
Car (I asked for a motorbike, but they said no because I cant tow the trailer)
Less Hours (more time for the motorbike)
Better benefits (health insurance, bonuses, phone etc)

Cons
About 5k less that what I am getting:wait:

My current job I have been in for almost 6 years, so I think I am ready for a change.

Vote away:first:

kiwifruit
21st July 2006, 15:00
Money isnt everything
If it will give you better job satisfaction then go for it!
best of luck

placidfemme
21st July 2006, 15:07
Money isnt everything
best of luck

Agreed :)

(10 chars)

Fatjim
21st July 2006, 15:10
Not aware of your industry, but pay rises are hard to get generally. So my advice, if you can't make your mind up is to really push for the 5k, if you get it go, if you don't, flick a coin.

BeakerRAT
21st July 2006, 15:10
Sometimes a change is just the tonic needed and can be the catalyst for better things to come.
[RANT] I stayed with a company for 10 years, in the end they showed me no loyalty, I suspect this is the case with most companies these days so don’t think you have to stay in your current job out of respect for them. [end of RANT]
A company vehicle can be worth a substantial amount these days. I guess you already now what’s the right move for you, so follow your instinct. Good luck.

Colapop
21st July 2006, 15:13
Will it make you happy? If you've looked for it then you're not happy where you are.... Push for the extra $5k... Then take it anyway...

Jantar
21st July 2006, 15:19
Thre is one very important piece of information missing from the given information.

Do you (a) live for work or (b) work to live.

If (a) go for the one with highest job satisfaction.

If (b) go for the one with highest pay.

Biohazard
21st July 2006, 15:22
Do not let the extra benefits make the decision for you, this can be a loss leader.

Career development is what I recommend people concentrate on. Yes money is nice, but it doesn't always smooth the way and doesn't rest your soul.

Being offered a job is always flatering, but dont feel like you have to accept the job if you are not sure. If you are still undecided, ask for more time to make your mind up. If they truly value you as a potential employee they wont mind waiting a tadge longer.

Then BEWARE of the counter offer from your current employee, thats when its gets interesting :blip:......................

Take ya time and think where ya want to be in 5 years time....

If in doubt my knowledge can be hired for FREE...coz I do this for a living :nya:

Ixion
21st July 2006, 15:25
Car's easy worth 5K if you have private use of it. But may not save you 5K. Do you nedd the cash money (eg fully committed on a mortgage ). If not, the new one probably stacks up to a better package.

But don't forget intangibles like training, prospects etc. Hard to assess , particulaly for the new job, but important.

And of course, if you do decide to jump, you can always try using the new job as a lever to get a better deal where you are.

As to loyalty? By and large it's a dead concept. Loyalty SHOULD be a two way street, but for far too long employers have wanted it all one way. So I don't think it counts for anything nowdays. If you DO have an oldfashioned employer who plays the game straight, stick by them. Otherwise, it's every man for himself.

Maha
21st July 2006, 15:30
5k less?....unless the pending job is really what you want i would stay put
if your current job is a total sleepfest, like selling cd's etc, then that changes the equation, weigh up the hours....are they the same? from an economic point of view you should stick at what you are doing, from a ' i want to stay sane' point of view, go for it....pro's and con's are a wonderful thing....:yes:

Motu
21st July 2006, 15:50
Are they telling you the car's worth 5 grand? Don't take a pay cut because they offer a car with the job,it's either supplied or not,don't let them include it in the salary package.Job loyalty is down the drain because companies don't stay in business for 50 years anymore...and the jobs people had 25 years ago now no longer exist,this is going to speed up.In 20 years time there will be 400,000 unemployed IT workers.

I don't beleive in careers,only jobs.I don't think you should work doing a job you love...because you'll end up hating it.

Korea
21st July 2006, 15:56
A change is as good as a vacation :yes:
Having said that, you'll be getting about $95 less per week...
Hmmm... do you get a fuel card with that company car? What about promotion prospects?

I agree, flip a coin:
If you don't like the result, you know what you really want...

The Pastor
21st July 2006, 16:05
I agree with Motu. Cars should not be part of the salary package, they said it needs to tow a trailer, so you will be given a car to do the work anyway. At my job I got given a car/truck (although limited private use) to do the job. I took it home at night because it was eaiser to get to work for an early start than goining into the office swapping cars then coming back. Having said that - how much do you spend on gas getting to work each year? I was spending $30/week (including private use) so in a year i would of spent $1560 a year a far cry from 5k. but if you drive a v8 or summit and its like 90 bucks a week... it might be worth it..

The_Dover
21st July 2006, 16:17
What type of car is it and will the bitches dig it?

Crazy Steve
21st July 2006, 16:22
Why would anyone say stay!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fly little butterfly.....

Fly!!!!!!!

Crazy Steve

BeakerRAT
21st July 2006, 16:27
Good point Dover! And renegade master, if it's not a V8, well what's the point, may as well stay at the current job.

Seriously Zurkin, I stand by what I said before, the pro and cons list is a good idea as well. Are you happy where you are now? Only you can answer these questions.

Zukin
21st July 2006, 16:54
Wow some really good answers here

I will try and answer some of them.

My current job
I am getting kinda bored, (which is not fair on me or my current employer)
I travel allot (My area is the Lower half of the North Island), I have allot of calls etc.
It is rural based
I achieved everything that I could
I cant really go any higher as the top blokes are here till they retire:wait:

New Postition
The car is part of the job, but I get to use it for personal use too which is a bonus
My area is Gisborne and Hawkes Bay, so much less travelling
Less calls but more frequently, which is good as I might actually get to know some of the people I deal with.

I hope that helps :first:

Storm
22nd July 2006, 17:50
Money isnt everything
best of luck
What he said- gotta be happy to get up each day:)

Zukin
26th July 2006, 09:26
Well today is the Day

I am handing in my resignation:yes:
Been a very long time since I had to do that!!

And thanks for all the words from both sides of the fence.:first:

Cheers