PDA

View Full Version : Radar detection

Ruralman
21st July 2006, 15:43
What sort of radar detection works well on bikes. I have one in my car which helps avoid annoying tickets for just over the limit (as I don't drive excessively fast any more) but if I want something for the bike it will require a whole new set up. I've seen one website that you can get stuff for bikes from the USA which has a remote activated LED light that comes on on your visor - it was $520US I think which probably still works out cheaper than buying the same thing here??
After one recent roadside interview I have got better at keeping within the legal band - but every now and then when the conditions are right and the traffic is light......... It would be nice to reduce the chance of more tickets with something that lets you get down from around 120km in time. What works best??? (apart from always driving at the speed limit - and like how many bikers really have that temperament????)

Lou Girardin
21st July 2006, 15:47
There's tonnes of stuff in here, try a search.
It'll keep you busy for a week or three.
Bottomline - cops say they don't work, my wallet and licence say otherwise.

Blackbird
21st July 2006, 15:48
Do a search - there are heaps of threads on the subject. I've heard a comment from some users of the HARD visual system that their reaction times are slower than with an audible cue (seems to make sense). I have a tiny speaker in my helmet which is fine apart from occasionally becoming disconnected or breaking a wire when I dismount or forget it. A mate has a screamer mounted on his steering yoke and that's very effective too.

Welcome aboard!

bobsmith
21st July 2006, 15:51
if you have a port for earplug on your detector that could work well too...

Since riding a motorcycle is a visually engaging task, I would think something that gives you an audio cue would work better than something like a hard system where it gives you a visual alert.

Just bought a rx55 from trademe so I'll have to try that out.

madboy
21st July 2006, 16:03
Bottom line, radar detectors sometimes help out, laser jammers (the good ones that work) sometimes help out, radar jammers are illegal (if you get one, PM me) and bloody good eyes sometimes help out. Failing that, right wrist has always worked for me.

scumdog
21st July 2006, 16:06
There's tonnes of stuff in here, try a search.
It'll keep you busy for a week or three.
Bottomline - cops say they don't work, my wallet and licence say otherwise.

And I have issued tickets that say they don't, heh heh heh!

Seriously, you have to have a good product, use it ALL the time and believe it when it goes off.

If you do the above and are alert you should be safe.

A road with relatively light traffic with undulations/bends is probably the one time you're likely to get caught before your detector goes off.

Ruralman
21st July 2006, 16:09
Bottom line, radar detectors sometimes help out, laser jammers (the good ones that work) sometimes help out, radar jammers are illegal (if you get one, PM me) and bloody good eyes sometimes help out. Failing that, right wrist has always worked for me.

Is that backing off the right wrist or winding it on?

scumdog
21st July 2006, 16:11
Is that backing off the right wrist or winding it on?

Or grip tighter until your knob turns purple???

Ruralman
21st July 2006, 16:13
I wonder whether anyones ever come up with a battery operated one that you could strap to your forearm or somewhere so you don't have to wire it into the bike or worry about leaving it on the bike when you get off somewhere?

madboy
21st July 2006, 16:14
Is that backing off the right wrist or winding it on?You haven't been on this site long, have you? Under my username it says 2 for 14. If I've been stopped twice (one a driving complaint and another lanesplitting), any guesses what the 14 may or may not be related to?

I'm not advocating nothin... It's all personal choice. Just like buying a radar detector - it's what works for you and your alone that matters!

madboy
21st July 2006, 16:16
Or grip tighter until your knob turns purple???Hell no, not in cold weather with winter gloves on, I can't even find it!

Blackbird
21st July 2006, 16:17
And I have issued tickets that say they don't, heh heh heh!

Seriously, you have to have a good product, use it ALL the time and believe it when it goes off.

If you do the above and are alert you should be safe.

A road with relatively light traffic with undulations/bends is probably the one time you're likely to get caught before your detector goes off.

We shall test your words of wisdom on your patch next March S/D:innocent: Highly likely to be 4 Blackbirds of the same colour so as a last resort, we will dob each other in with respect to who was the offender. Ahem.... one of them may well be Bykey Cop so that will be interesting:blip:

Cheers

Geoff

Ixion
21st July 2006, 16:17
Has anyone tried, or seen anything about, using Bluetooth for the audio signal (output the signal to a Bluetooth receiver int he helmet). Audio really needs a helmet speaker, but wired ones are too much of a pain. What do cops use for their comms , I presume they'd have some good technology for their mic and earpiece stuff, hardly make sense for them to have dangle wires connecting them to the bike?

Ruralman
21st July 2006, 16:20
Or grip tighter until your knob turns purple???

Hey I was tempted to make a reply like that but I thought there were codes or standards or something????
If I recall a trip from Dn to ChCh about 20+ yrs ago - it was the fastest trip I've ever done. When I followed the 2 bikes I had latched onto into a fuel stop it turned out they were 2 off duty cops (a 380 & 550 Suzuki, both 2 stroke triples)
They reckon they'd get no sympathy if caught then - from what I understand its certainly no different now. Good to see you've got some racing fuel in your viens!!

scumdog
21st July 2006, 16:22
We shall test your words of wisdom on your patch next March S/D:innocent: Highly likely to be 4 Blackbirds of the same colour so as a last resort, we will dob each other in with respect to who was the offender. Ahem.... one of them may well be Bykey Cop so that will be interesting:blip:

Cheers

Geoff

Keep in tight formation and you'll be o.k - often it's the poor tail-end charlie about half a km behind playing 'catch-up' that gets it.

Ixion
21st July 2006, 16:26
Hey I was tempted to make a reply like that but I thought there were codes or standards or something????
If I recall a trip from Dn to ChCh about 20+ yrs ago - it was the fastest trip I've ever done. When I followed the 2 bikes I had latched onto into a fuel stop it turned out they were 2 off duty cops (a 380 & 550 Suzuki, both 2 stroke triples)
They reckon they'd get no sympathy if caught then - from what I understand its certainly no different now. Good to see you've got some racing fuel in your viens!!

I reckon that proves my long standing argument that there is some occult force about two strokes that turns the most sober responsible and law abiding motorcyclist into a demon hoon. Or else it's some quality of the smoke.

"Under the influence of two stroke" should be a legitimate defence to speeding. No-one (even cops) can be expected to stick to speed limits on a two stroke.

scumdog
21st July 2006, 16:28
"Under the influence of two stroke" should be a legitimate defence to speeding. No-one (even cops) can be expected to stick to speed limits on a two stroke.

With a bit of effort I managed to on C.B.s step-though Suzuki 50.:scooter:

Ruralman
21st July 2006, 16:31
I reckon the big change these days seems to be the loss of using discetion to whether a ticket is issued or not - got to meet the quota or at least keep the number of infringement notices up. Don't here many cases of anyone, bikes or cars, getting let off with a warning any more.

scumdog
21st July 2006, 16:37
I reckon the big change these days seems to be the loss of using discetion to whether a ticket is issued or not - got to meet the quota or at least keep the number of infringement notices up. Don't here many cases of anyone, bikes or cars, getting let off with a warning any more.
Because an insane illogical rant about how some quota-chasing revenue collector letting you off does not have the same ring to it.

Ruralman
21st July 2006, 16:42
Because an insane illogical rant about how some quota-chasing revenue collector letting you off does not have the same ring to it.

Actually it did have the same effect. If the "offender" was told that the warning was logged into the system and if he got pinged again he'd pay twice that would be very effective - maybe even more so? The prospect of a double fine being more incentive than having just got one and maybe getting another one if you don't behave??
I'm sure that would work but whether they'd want to forego the revenue is another Q

Ruralman
21st July 2006, 16:48

OK so it does still happen??????

Finn
21st July 2006, 16:48
I never ride without my Hard on. While it is a large piece of equipment to slide into a tight fitting flap, I couldn't imagine riding without it. I try to force my girlfriend to use it but she always complains that it blinds her when it goes off. So mostly I use it by myself.

Lou Girardin
21st July 2006, 16:54
Has anyone tried, or seen anything about, using Bluetooth for the audio signal (output the signal to a Bluetooth receiver int he helmet). Audio really needs a helmet speaker, but wired ones are too much of a pain. What do cops use for their comms , I presume they'd have some good technology for their mic and earpiece stuff, hardly make sense for them to have dangle wires connecting them to the bike?

I know someone who is investigating bluetooth or similar RF transmission to a helmet. The new Nolan N-Coms have bluetooth receivers as an option.

Lou Girardin
21st July 2006, 16:57

You wouldn't believe it, some bacon rooting, scum sucking low-life SOB cop just let me off a ticket.

Happy now scummy?

Filterer
21st July 2006, 20:03
I never ride without my Hard on. While it is a large piece of equipment to slide into a tight fitting flap, I couldn't imagine riding without it. I try to force my girlfriend to use it but she always complains that it blinds her when it goes off. So mostly I use it by myself.

Now i cant work out if you are taking the piss or not about hardons, not fitting in and the girlfriend etc.....

spudchucka
22nd July 2006, 08:42
I never ride without my Hardon.
Figures!:tugger:

scumdog
22nd July 2006, 12:00
You wouldn't believe it, some bacon rooting, scum sucking low-life SOB cop just let me off a ticket.

Happy now scummy?

Gee yeah!
But just think what a 'nice' cop would have let you off with!!

Lou Girardin
22nd July 2006, 12:30
Gee yeah!
But just think what a 'nice' cop would have let you off with!!

The clap, from a Pleecewoman in Auck.

scumdog
22nd July 2006, 12:37
The clap, from a Pleecewoman in Auck.

Only in Auckland eh!

Finn
22nd July 2006, 12:47
Figures!:tugger:

Ahhh, don't we all?

StoneChucker
22nd July 2006, 15:22
Whatever anyone says, there is no doubt, contest or comparison as to which radar detector is the best, by FAR. Not sure if it's been posted as I haven't read all posts.

It is the NEW Beltronics STi XR. It's rather expensive (around $1250 NZD), but is worth evert penny. It even comes in a wicked metal/mag carry case. Has the usual accessories like hard wire kit, two windscreen mounts suckers and bracket and standard cigarette lighter power cord. Both the cigarette lighter power cord and the hard wire kit have the alarm silence button and LED on it, for easy access as well as stealth night mode if that's what you want. I have mine hard wired, but don't use stealth (all dark / no lights on actual unit).

The previous top detector (Valentine One) not only looks ancient, but false alarms on every thing excluding actual radars/cops lasers. The Valentine alarms more than 10 or 20 times on a trip from Newtown, Wellington, to Upper Hutt (About 35 mins drive) and all false alarms. With the STi XR, I normally drive to and from work without it sounding once! When it does, after about 600 to 1200 meters I see a radar van or police car.

The STi XR also has rearward facing detectors, as well as full programmable functions. If you are buying for the best, go Beltronics STi XR. If you are buying for budget, get whatever is in your price range... (and no, I'm not a Beltronics vendor! :P)

scumdog
22nd July 2006, 18:11
The STi XR also has rearward facing detectors, as well as full programmable functions. If you are buying for the best, go Beltronics STi XR. If you are buying for budget, get whatever is in your price range... (and no, I'm not a Beltronics vendor! :P)

Yes kiddies, don't forget you can be 'shot up the bum' with a radar from behind.:nya:

And if the cop has 'instant on' then unless he's checking other vehicles nearby your only hope is to scrub off a few km before he locks on (If you're alert and quick).

Could save you $50 if you're quick enough.:niceone:

Edbear
22nd July 2006, 20:14
With a bit of effort I managed to on C.B.s step-though Suzuki 50.:scooter:

Wot? Down hill with a tailwind???:scooter: